• Published 7th Apr 2015
  • 411 Views, 31 Comments

Ponymunity - ShortHilt



Short Hilt the pegasus has always had a dream of creating her own town for ponies and other creatures to live in harmony. She will travel as far as she can to find the perfect spot. What awaits her beyond the horizon? Will she succeed?

  • ...
1
 31
 411

Chapter 2

Short Hilt stopped and grabbed some paper from her pack, as well as a pencil. She gripped it in her mouth and began to write.

Dear Princess Celestia,
Hello! This is Short Hilt! I managed to find the perfect spot to build, what I'm calling, Ponymunity! I would like to request the aid of some construction ponies in Cloudsdale, as well as railroad ponies from Appaloosa. I found a local who had been living here, but she seems fine with letting me go through with this. She sent this message to you for me. Here are the coordinates and I hope to hear from you soon!

She rolled up the paper neatly and looked up at Patina, "Well, time to send it off~!"

"Um...to who?" She raised a brow, confused.

"To Princess Celestia, of course!" She smiled, nudging the letter closer to her.

Patina levitated it, "Oh! She is in Canterlot, yes? I was once there as a filly, I hope I can teleport it to the correct location..." She closed her eyes, and in a flash the letter was gone.

Short Hilt felt a pit in her stomach, "Oh, yeah, I forgot. Well, if it doesn't get to her, at least the pony who finds it can send it her way."

----

Princess Celestia gazed out of her window high atop Canterlot. She smiled at all the happy faces below and reminisced about the times she walked those streets as a filly. 'I should go down for a visit someday,' she thought, still smiling elegantly.

A hoof knocking on the door grabbed her attention. She turned to the sound's direction, "Yes?"

"Princess Celestia, a letter arrived for you," Shining Armor gave her a slightly annoyed look, the letter attached to his horn, partially open revealing who it was to. He lifted the paper carefully and allowed Celestia's magic to relieve him of it.

"Thank you," She laughed slightly. She scanned the writing and was delighted to hear the news, "Shining Armor, could you do me a favor, please?"

-----

Several hours had passed, and Short Hilt was beginning to panic. She paced back and forth, "Why hasn't she replied?? Did she get it? Ohhh..."

Patina sat on her haunches and looked down apologetically, "I'm...I'm sorry...I probably sent it to the wrong area. I was only at the castle gates briefly and that was many years ago..."

The pegasus was frantically flitting about like a hummingbird, "What if it blew away in the wind?? What if somepony stepped on it and now it can't be read?!" She put her hooves up to her ears and gasped loudly, "WHAT IF A DOG ATE IT???"

"Calm down, Short Hilt..." Patina walked over and placed a hoof on her shoulder, easing her down to the ground, "You are worrying and stressing far too much...I say if she does not send help tomorrow, you should go back and tell her yourself."

She finally got ahold of herself, taking a few breaths to regain her sanity, "You're right...wait, why don't you come too? I'm sure she would be deli--"

"No." She refuted simply, "I am...not ready yet. It's a miracle I've even let you stay..." Patina's eye glistened with a forming tear.

Short Hilt sat on the cool grass, tilting her head, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have suggested. I mean, since we have some time, could I ask you why you're out here all alone? I know you said you decided to live alone, but, why? Even though you're sporting a wing and horn combo I don't see anything wrong with you."

"But my family and hometown did," Irritation rose in her voice, "I was never made to feel welcome."

Short Hilt's green eyes looked down sadly, acknowledging the fact that Patina might not have had a decent fillyhood. Though, she dared to inquire further, being careful with her tone, "So...what happened? It feels better when you tell others what's on your mind. I'm here to listen."

With shaky breaths, Patina clamped her mouth shut, as if unable to speak of her past. Short Hilt was just about to drop the subject as she began, "I...guess there is no harm in it...You see, I was born in a small village called Feather Fall. My mother and father were less than pleased to see they had produced me, an alicorn. My mother soon warmed up to me, but my father outright refused to call me his. So, he left. I don't remember what he looked like, but I was told by my aunt that I have his eyes. My mother carted me around just like any new mom. But as word spread, so did the disdain for my mother. They called her irresponsible for raising an alicorn and should have just left me in the woods."

Short Hilt raised her brow, "But, wait, I still don't understand WHY alicorns are so hated. I mean, I've only heard of two alicorns, Luna and Celestia, but why are natural born ones so bad? I would think it would be awesome!" She collected herself and cleared her throat.

"Sadly...not everyone shares your view, Short Hilt. According to our village, natural born alicorns are considered an abomination. One is born earth, unicorn, or pegasus. Being alicorn means your bloodline is tainted with either heinous deeds of your ancestors, or worse, inbreeding. The shame falls upon the mother of the foal, sadly. Which is why my father left. He must have felt that her bloodline was impure, and our village takes it very seriously. I don't know about other lands, but ours is very harsh." a small tear dropped to the ground, "My mother...she was so ashamed that she eventually had to leave me, too. I didn't understand at the time, of course. I was given to my aunt, who never made me feel welcome in her home. I was even denied the privilege of going to school. To everyone, I didn't deserve an education. I either had to work or leave. So, when I became old enough...I left. At first I didn't know where to go. Every village I passed either treated me with disdain or outright refused to let me in. I assumed they had similar beliefs. So, I came here, and lived in that cave over there," She pointed to the tall mountain with the cascading waterfall.

Short Hilt was lost for words. Never had she imagined such malice would come from ponies. She felt a fire in her heart burning, aching for her to try and reason with them. She shook her head and gave her a sympathetic look, "I'm...I'm sorry you had to endure that. If anypony tries belittling you for what you are in front of me, I'll teach 'em a lesson." She punched her hooves together with a loud 'clop.'

Patina kept her gaze to the ground, "No...you can't force someone to change their view. They have to be shown, not bullied. But...I don't know how to prove to anypony that I'm not...tainted."

"Hey, I found nothing wrong with you when we first met this morning. Sometimes you don't have to prove anything to anypony. You just have to be honest and be you," Short Hilt smiled, "Also, you're right. I can't build this town and expect everyone to get along right away...but, I'll do my best to show them the best side of every pony they meet and at least teach them to be civil."

"That is all anypony can hope to do," Patina looked up and smiled, "Perhaps there is hope after all..."

Author's Note:

Woop, here's chapter 2! Hopefully this gives better insight to Patina's side of the story. She's had a rough fillyhood...poor baby. ;~;

Also, Celestia and Shining Armor cameo, woot! xD

OH! Also forgot, this takes place before Twilight's Ascension and the mention of Cadence. I wrote this originally a long time ago. ^^; And I want to hold true to that timeline. So, please don't say silly things like "There are 4 alicorns" because at this time there are two. >u>''