• Published 12th May 2012
  • 2,821 Views, 66 Comments

Darkness of our Hearts - thenamelessauthor



An insane gamer brony that can warp Reality at will goes to Equestria. How awesome does that sound?!

  • ...
5
 66
 2,821

Chapter 5

Third Person’s PoV.

Twilight.

Twilight Sparkle sighed to herself as she sent a quick glance over her book towards the basement’s door.

It was eleven o’ clock already, and the human teenager known as Wataru Kamijo hadn’t come out of there for eat and she was growing worried with each passing minute.

“What the hay is wrong with him?” she asked to no one in particular as another sigh escaped from her lips.

“The question is… do you want to know?”

The filly screamed in fear and surprise as she crawled away from her seat.

She looked at the familiar creature before her. Black jacket with blue and orange motif on the end of its sleeves, scarf made of blood, pale human face, black and untidy hair, black eye, and long katana resting over his shoulders. It was the creature she remembered that had protected Wataru from Celestia’s attack.

“Calm down… I’m not gonna hurt you, Twilight Sparkle. My name’s Mugen Izanagi.” He glanced at the filly as he smiled warmly, “Can we talk?”

Twilight Sparkle looked at him with confusion and half-hidden fear, “WH-What do you want to talk about?” she asked.

“About Wataru.” The creature answered, not before giving a tired sigh first.

“Do you know what’s wrong with him?” the purple coated filly asked curious.

Mugen Izanagi looked at her before eye smiling at her, “I… have my ideas, yeah. But if you want to know, then you should ask him.” The being suggested before giving another sigh, this one longer than the previous, “I’m pretty close to him; however there are things I can’t help him with. Like solitude.”

“What do you mean with being pretty close to him?” the unicorn asked.

“I would tell you, but I’m not feeling like it.”

“You are an idiot.”

“Actually, I’m a dick. And curiously, Wataru is one too, but not to his friends, but his enemies.”

“Enemies? Wataru has enemies?”

“Well… currently only one remains, his mother.”

An awkward silence fell into the room as Twilight looked wide eyed at the Persona before her.

“What? Why his mother?” Twilight

“Full of questions, are you? To truthfully answer you, I have not the slightest idea and, in my case, that’s worrying. But whatever she did to him, it must have been REALLY bad.” For a moment, the creature shuddered, “He could have told me he was pranking me, but I can tell he hates her to that extent.” He voiced in a whisper to himself.

“Excuse me?”

“Oh. Nothing. I gotta go, I talked too much for today.” Izanagi voiced as he turned around.

“Wait! Didn’t you say only one of his enemies remained? What happened to the others?”

The being turned towards Twilight, lowered his scarf, and showed her a smile of approvance, “Impressive… you pay as much attention to little details as he does. But to answer your question… let’s leave it at ‘They didn’t have the best of fates’. Goodbye.” And with that, he was gone in a flicker that the filly recognized as a Body Flicker Technique from Naruto.

Another silence fell into the room as Twilight Sparkle turned her sight towards the door once again.

There was two choices before her now: Either find out what was wrong with Wataru, or don’t get herself involved and hope that everything sorts on its own eventually.

She, despite having known him for two days, knew he was the kind of colt, or in this case, human, that could get over any hardship, and to let him sort his own problems on his own. However, a little tiny voice coming from her chest told her otherwise.

It told her to go and speak with him, to listen to him.

Wataru’s witty comeback phrase replayed in the filly mind.

“I used to wonder that for as long as I can remember and I never found out that answer, so I decided to make my own. I am what I want to be, and I want to be a being who watches over the others, Celestia. A being… beyond the Gods themselves.”

If he wanted to be the one to watch over the others, then who was going to watch over him?

Her self-made question replayed as well.

Who is Wataru Kamijo?

She closed her book with finality and let it rest over the small coffee table before her.

She needed some answers.


Wataru.

Silence. The room was in silence, and a white haired teenager looking blankly in front of him as he sat in a dark corner of the room.

‘Dammit… DAMMIT!! I can’t seriously believe it! I… I thought I could hold myself back, but… it has become unbearable.’ He mentally voiced to himself.

The teenager, without realizing it, was cleaning his bleeding eyes with one of his coat’s sleeves.

‘I thought… I could watch and let the events take their original course… but I can’t. It is too late already. The very action of asking Pinkie Pie for tea changed something! I can feel it!’

His not bleeding eye let a tear run free.

‘The very fact of breathing has changed something. And everytime I change something… I could be endangering them.’

He didn’t realize that the door upstairs was slowly opening, letting a small trail of light come into the dark room.

‘And… Twilight. I… can’t even look at her without feeling the need to hug her, to kiss her, to tell her that I love her… I… think I do love her.’

He didn’t realize the echoing steeps, becoming closer and closer.

‘And when I saw her depressed like that when she found out about her brother’s wedding… when she screamed at me… it did hurt. How could I be so cruel to her? I taunted her. She was in the whole right to scream at me… she is in her whole right to hate me…’

“Wataru?” Twilight asked with worry as she looked at his blank eyes, “Are you okay?”

“Huh?” the teenager mumbled as he was snapped out of his thoughts, “Oh, Twilight! I… uh…” he blushed as he realized her face was pretty near to his.

And then…

“Misster Kamijo…” a cold voice called tauntingly, making Wataru to widen his eyes in shock.

Wataru panicked instantly. Infinite thoughts took place in his mind as he stood up with a jolt and looked around the room, searching for something.

His azure colored eyes were frozen as he found what he looked after. The ‘being’ was standing before him, appearing to be a middle-aged Caucasian male with a tall, thin physique, pale skin, a prominent widow's peak, black hair shaped in a military-style crew cut, and pale green eyes.

There was no flash, only a change of surroundings, as if someone had skipped over a small part of a movie.

“Good evening, misster Kamijo…” the G-Man as he was sitting down behind a desk, a giant screen displaying the Black Mesa logotype and the words ‘Black Mesa’ behind him as Wataru tried to fight against the invisible force that was paralyzing him. “As you might have realized, you are currently within our… particular interests. My employers have… agreed in to keep a close eye into both of you...”

He frowned, “And, although I do not share their thoughts concerning you, Misster Kamijo…” its frown turned into a smile as it slowly walked towards Twilight, who was frozen in time, “…we both do agree in that Miss Sparkle does have amazing potential. As soon as it stood in front of her, it slowly trailed a finger painfully slowly from the mare’s neck to her chin.

“Don’t touch her.” Kamijo hissed at the being as for a moment his eyes flickered violet before a small silver flame burst in the G-Man’s cuff.

The fake human eyes widened in surprise as it looked in interest at its burning cuff and smiled before turning it off with its fingers. “Is it that strong the care you have for her that you would… risk your life to protect her? That must go beyond…” it chuckled tauntly at the teenager, “…normal camaderie.”

The scenery changed suddenly again and this time Wataru stood in the middle of some skyscraper with the G-Man, who briefly glanced downwards from the building’s edge before turning back towards him.

“Now I can speak freely. Misster Kamijo… tell me, do you truly believe that the truth you know is the complete truth? The…” it straightened his tie, “…events that might or not trarenspire in… Canterlot are only a small fraction of the truth. Before you… blindly quench your particular thirst, I believe you should… examine every possible reason behind the… attack. After all, they say that the blood of the puppeteer tastes… far better than the wood-made body of one of his puppets…”

“Nevertheless, the true reason of contacting you… as you might have already guessed is that my employers do plan on involving this little… paradise you love so much.”

There was another scenery change, and they now stood inside a room with people that looked to have been twisting in agony as a green mist-like substance filled the room, “And as you might have heard… when a higher up takes a bad decision, sometimes the ones below and its families have to pay an unfair prize, as losing their jobs or in the worst case end alone and be used as a guinea pig… so I came here with the intention of warning you. However do not consider this that I do it as a favor to you…”

“As we speak, Doctor Freeman is currently protecting White Forest from the Combine forces… And although I do have faith in him, I know very well that feelings like love can be the strongest man’s weakness… If I were to allow this play to continue unmodified, I’m afraid many relevant pieces shall, as to be put in your words, have a bridge dropped over their heads, including Doctor Freeman himself.”

“My employers do not care about the sake of the One Free Man or any of his… friends as long as he fulfills his predetermined role. And truth be told, me neither, but Freeman has a greater destiny than saving Earth from the Combine that awaits him at the end of this small part-time job, that I feel in the obligation of inform him when the time is proper.”

“And that’s the part where you get involved… for as soon as you are finished with your own show, I’m afraid you won’t have the luxury of enjoying this world freely for too long. You’ll have to immediately aid Freeman in his little crusade to the Borealis and make sure that he doesn’t suffer any terminating accident or I am afraid your little… subjects will have to pay the prize. I hope that works as a legitimate… incentive.”

“However, there is always a loophole you could take, but it’s up to you to figure it out on your own.” The G-Man straightened his tie once again, “I’m afraid I have talked far longer than usual today and my throat feels like if… I had a space leech inside and the feeling is quite… annoying. I would tell you ‘Until your employment, Misster Kamijo.’ But we both know that we’ll meet again sooner than that. And remember … I’m always watching you.”

There was a bright flash, and the world around Wataru returned to normal.


Wataru’s PoV.

“Wataru…” Twilight started as I returned to the basement and time started to follow normally again.

I blinked a few times.

What… the fuck did just happen? Did I actually saw the G-Man or it was only an illusion? It must have been the latter one, because that ‘space leech’ part was definitely a Sheppard’s Mind’s reference and the actual G-Man would have never said such thing.

Or would he?

I… I had considered the possibility of the G-Man showing up before me if I ever made it into Equestria before but… the chances were pretty high, so it was out of the question. He SHOULDN’T have showed up!

Is it that you can’t trust any longer in statistics?!

“After all, they say that the blood of the puppeteer tastes… far better than the wood-made body of one of his puppets…”

He did know what I told to that bastard of Silence, and maybe even what I did to him with the saw…

If that was the actual G-Man, then I have been followed by a long time already.

I’m… I’m freaked out, man. I don’t want to think any longer about this… I have to let this event escape for my grasp for a while before my mind melts with over thinking. Maybe give it a thought AFTER I sort the Royal Wedding puzzle.

Yeah… that would be nice.

“…Have you been crying?” Twilight finished as I paid attention to her.

“Yeah…” I nodded somewhat ashamed, after all, it sucks that the girl that you like looks at you crying in a dark corner of her basement, “I’m sorry… it’s just too many stuff has been taken place to me lately and it’s taking quite the toll on me…”

“Tell me about that.” Twilight rolled her eyes.

An awkward silence befell into the dark room as I looked at her.

“Hey… can I ask you a favor?” I voiced with a lump in my throat.

Twilight slightly leaned her head in confusion before smiling, “Sure! What is it?”

“Is there any chance I could… hug you?” I asked as the blush in my face turned even redder.

Twilight looked at me in shock, her face blushing as well. “Come again?”

“Nothing…” I smiled at her as I stood up. Um… weird, I remember standing up when I looked after the G-man. “Do you mind if I go out for a walk?”

“You haven’t eaten anything.” She told me.

“Meh,” I shrugged before I stood, “I’ll eat something later.”

I turned around and slowly walked towards the stairs before an idea crossed my mind.

]Save.
Saving…
Data Saved in Slot First.

“You know what?” I chuckled, “I guess I’m quite tired. I’m off to sleep.”

And with that I walked up the stairs.

Wait… Don't I sleep in the basement!

“So why in hell am I upstairs!? Ugh! DAMN YOU TROLLESTIA!!” I could have sworn I heard Twilight facepalm.

And I don't blame her, I would have done the same in her place.