• Published 3rd Apr 2015
  • 700 Views, 27 Comments

Drabble Daze - Sketcha-Holic



A collection of short and simple stories based on one-word prompts, featuring some beloved characters from Friendship is Magic.

  • ...
2
 27
 700

Destiny

So much had happened in so little time.

It seemed just like yesterday that Twilight Sparkle was just a unicorn gifted with above average magical abilities and the personal student of Princess Celestia. It seemed just like yesterday that she had been sent to Ponyville, begrudgingly checking on preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration, and trying to avoid making friends. It seemed just like yesterday that there hadn't been a Princess Luna around for a thousand years.

And now, looking at the lavender alicorn in the mirror, with sleek wings having been added to her back that still felt weird thinking about them, she was amazed that a trip to Ponyville had changed her life. Putting a hoof on the mirror, she was simply amazed that destiny had bound her and her friends together.

She pursed her lips, now wondering what would have happened had she not chosen a path of magic.

Her pursed lips turned into a grimace. But what if she never really had a choice in the matter? She recalled that the Tree of Harmony had the shape of her cutie mark--did that mean that from the moment she got her cutie mark, she was meant to bear the Element of Magic? Or was it from the moment she was born--or perhaps conceived? Was she meant to save Equestria multiple times? Wouldn't she like to give that burden to somepony else for once.

What if she had never had an interest in magic and yet she still had that destiny?

She shook her head. No, she chose to pursue studying magic, even when it seemed like she wasn't very powerful as a filly. Celestia saw her potential and trained her from there. She was deemed worthy to bear the Element of Magic. And even if she didn't ask to be a princess or to have a castle of her own, she did know that she earned it.

Did that mean her friends had always been destined to be her fellow bearers, or could other ponies have filled those roles just as well? Sure, Rainbow Dash's Rainboom did connect them together--but what if it didn't happen? Twilight couldn't think of anyone whose honesty could match Applejack's. Or anypony with loyalty that matched Rainbow's. Who could be as kind as Fluttershy or as generous as Rarity? And Twilight couldn't possibly imagine anypony in Pinkie Pie's place.

Scratching her chin, she wondered if any thoughts on destiny like this had made Starlight Glimmer believe that cutie marks were evil. Then again, that didn't quite explain the whole "equality" thing that was going on in that town.

"Hey, Twilight!" Spike said, coming into the room. "Are you ready for the big Ponyville Picnic today?"

She shook her head and jumped. "Oh! It's today?" She picked up the hairbrush on her dress and furiously brushed her mane. She set down the brush, levitated Spike onto her back, and galloped through the halls. "Ack! How could I have forgotten?!"

Spike had to stifle his laughter at Twilight's mane, which looked like somepony rubbed a balloon on it.

Author's Note:

Prompt suggested by Earth Pony Bard Lyric.