• Published 3rd Apr 2015
  • 701 Views, 27 Comments

Drabble Daze - Sketcha-Holic



A collection of short and simple stories based on one-word prompts, featuring some beloved characters from Friendship is Magic.

  • ...
2
 27
 701

Umbrella

Author's Note:

Prompt suggested by scoots2.

On one sunny day in Ponyville, a certain blue pegasus was zipping around the sky, performing tricks and stunts that made it seem like cursive in the sky. She had a little challenge going on--pop all the balloons that her pink friend below her released, using the pin that she held between her teeth. All the while, she had to make her loops and turns look natural in the process without missing a single balloon.

And as she breezed by the challenge, the bouncy pink earth pony cheered her on.

"...and Dashie sticks the landing!" Pinkie Pie cheered as her pegasus friend finished her routine.

Rainbow Dash was now on the ground, and she spit out the pin and wiped the sweat off her brow. She looked up at the sky, jumped into a hover, and pumped her hoof. "Yes! I managed to pop all the balloons in one go! Not bad if I do say so myself."

"Yes-a-rooney!" Pinkie replied. "Oh, boy, where do I start? First you were like whoosh, and then you were like zoom! And when that one balloon got too high, you did a loop-de-loop to catch it! And then you--"

She was interrupted by the sound of Rainbow's stomach growling. She blinked before a cat smile crept onto her face.

"Sounds like somepony's hungry..." she sang.

Rainbow rolled her eyes. "And do you have an answer to that problem?"

Pinkie bounced in place. "Well duh! Sugarcube Corner's always the best place for a tasty treat!" She pulled an umbrella out of her mane, and opened it, letting the wind catch it. She started to drift away, hollering, "Hurry up, Dashie! Don't want that stomach to be empty, right?"

Rainbow stared as Pinkie flew off, before her stomach growling again snapped her out of her trance. She shook her head and took off, catching up to Pinkie. She slowed down once she caught up.

"The umbrella's new," she said.

"Of course!" Pinkie chirped. She frowned. "We popped all of my balloons, remember?"

"Yeah, yeah, I know that. But shouldn't you walk?"

Pinkie waved a hoof in dismissal. "Rainbow Dash, this is faster. And you don't want to be hungry for long, right?"

"You got me there. We shouldn't be too long up here, and hopefully I'll eat before I die of hunger!" Rainbow looked at the umbrella again. "If worse comes to worse, I'll eat that umbrella."

Pinkie giggled. "Silly! Umbrellas are not as tasty as cake!" She looked down, and started to work to close the umbrella. "Speaking of cake, we're here!"

"Aw, sweet!" Rainbow sped down to earth, leaving Pinkie up there to close her umbrella, which she was having trouble with.

She landed on the pavement in front of the bakery. She took a whiff of the sweet scent of cupcakes, muffins, and brownies wafting out the door. With a hum of delight, she rubbed her belly and licked her lips.

She was about to trot in when Pinkie suddenly landed on top of her, making her slam into the pavement, and hitting her chin on a rock. Rainbow was seeing stars, and she could feel the muscles in her barrel aching, radiating to her legs and wings. She groaned before she shook her head and turned it to glare at Pinkie.

Pinkie grinned sheepishly and held up her umbrella, which had its ribs broken and bent, and its fabric was torn. "My umbrella broke."