• Published 28th Mar 2015
  • 1,381 Views, 42 Comments

Penned IN - Qwix



In the shadows they lurk; ever changing, ever shifting, always under the surface. Sometimes, it takes action to fight against the tide, but a pony without anything save his name and wit will vows to erase those shadows with his words and his heart.

  • ...
10
 42
 1,381

Chapter 24: Thaw Before the Snowstorm

It never came.

A resounding clang of steel on steel cracked the ice barriers and his ears, making him glance up. Gosthette had freed herself and intercepted the strike with iron-clad legs.

"The hell is wrong with you?!" Gosthette admonished. "I appreciate your making her loose focus just long enough on my bonds to let me free myself, but why the heck did you stand there and throw the sword at her?!"

He sighed. "...What the hell is wrong with you? Can't you read my thoughts?"

She thrust outward with her hooves, breaking the sword lock and pushing Chrysalis back. "I didn't hear a damn thing from your head. Granted, I've been hearing less and less from it lately, but–"

"It is too late, then."

Chrysalis stomped a single hoof on the ground, cracking the ice shell with a thunderous bang. It shattered completely, falling away and revealing the rest of the chamber. Quitangu was at the edge of the balcony, popcorn on the ground as her expression was as frozen in suspense as the layer of ice left on the edge.

"State, Chrysalis. What do you mean?"

She chuckled to herself, growing in strength every second. "You are not a changeling by birth, Gosthette Bayotharja Shyling. It was by the gift of my magic that you became one—temporarily, as I had assured you then..."

Gosthette scowled. "I've been meaning to ask you anyway, as Pane was awfully close-mouthed about it... my wing feathers...?"

"A queen's magic can only be controlled by the Queen herself. Likewise, the first of three processes that creates a changeling, the ones that produce what we call 'Xenos' changelings... can only be performed—and reversed—by me. But there is a point of no return..."

"WHAT?! You evil, lying, crow–"

She responded by laughing, the chill seeming to gather in response to it. "As a baby bird learns to fly by trial, the more you use my gift to you, the faster it would take hold... the façade of that pony's original race will fade, replaced by the glorious form of a changeling. Your wing feathers are a mere sign of that. And I would wager to guess... hahahaha... that it had one more, rather unexpected effect in your case.

"You can't read Pennaprose's mind because you two are no longer the perfect, original halves that you came to Equestria as. The connection... is lost." She burst out into maniacal laughter, echoing off the cold stone.

Pennaprose paused, her words intriguing him. No longer perfect halves...

He looked to the transparent wall that held back Twilight and the others. They were out of breath, but a sizable crack had shown in the wall itself. It seems that they had been ramming the wall the whole time.

He turned his gaze to Gosthette, surveying her a little closer. Nearly all the feathers from her wings had given way, as well as all but a few small patches of fur coat clinging to her skin, surrounded by ebony scales. All that remained of her that wasn't part changeling was her eyes; they were round and defiant.

"Gosthette... worry about it later. We've got an asylum escapee to detain," said Pennaprose, picking up his sword that slid over to him when Chrysalis released the ice. He wielded it high, stepping beside her.

"No. We need to get out of here. You can't fight her, even with my help."

He was silently damning her. Both from the cold and barely suppressed fear, he could not wield his blade straight.

"Well then... what do you suppose we do? There's only one way out, and she's blocking it."

"I'm thinking..."

Chrysalis stood before them, seemingly amused. Her confidence was beginning to irk him.

"...In 32 seconds, duck to the left and down," whispered Gosthette. "When she's not looking, rush out of the chamber. I'll follow as soon as possible, but just focus on getting out of Canterlot."

He had a feeling that she was grasping at straws. "Not without Lyra. Not without Twilight and the others either."

"...Trust me this one time, please... I am in a better position to fight her. If I fight her alone, I won't have to shield you constantly. After I've managed to stop her... I will follow with the rest in tow. You will at least survive this encounter... should I fail."

He let out a sigh, seeing the cold form a cloud in front of him. She was right... he was a liability here. And if there was anypony that could stand against this witch... then Gosthette had the best chance.

He looked one final time into her eyes; they were as defiant as ever, solely fixated on Chrysalis. He had faith in her.

"...All right. I leave this to you," Pennaprose said.

"10 seconds," she answered.

She stomped a hoof on the ground, causing multiple ice pillars to pierce the chamber between Chrysalis and them. He did as she said, darting for the exit as she focused on shattering the blockade. He made it, but the price was paid. Gosthette took a blast of ice to the chest and got frozen to the wall.

He slowed just enough for Chrysalis to spot him and launch a blast of ice in his direction. He almost dodged it; his hind leg got stuck in the ice.

"That was quite rude of you. Going so soon?" said Chrysalis. "I haven't even got the chance to serve cake."

He hacked away at the ice with Changeré, but only chipping off a small amount. She approached him slowly."You disappoint me, squishling. I had thought you would have more honor than to run from this battle." She plunged the snake sword into the mound of ice his leg was trapped in, piercing his hoof. A searing pain tore into his body as the ice turned red, but in sheer defiance, he let out no cry of pain. "Styng does love fast food, however."

Suddenly, a white-hot beam of magic cut across the hall through the wall next to them. Chrysalis withdrew Styng hastily as the wall crumbled away. Twilight and the others were there, including Shining Armor. "Back off, Chrysalis!"

"Hn...? Now how did you escape?"

"Vou are wishing maybe? Zat zey have ze escaping on zere own?"

From the arena, a wizened changeling in a lab coat with a mechanical eye came, followed by Gosthette. On her back was Lyra, seemingly unconscious.

"Aloysius... what is the meaning of this?"

"You haf gone to far! Conquer Equestria for ze hive's vellbeing, yis, zat is well and fine. But time and timing again, I told you zat cold murder is out of the solutions. I am stepping down as head of Apparatus IX and the hive."

Her eyes narrowed in hatred. "...you soft, doddery old fool. I can see I am outnumbered, however... very well then. I will have to excuse myself for now. Dearest Pane... do as you wish. I have lost nothing in your betrayal."

She emitted an absolute hurricane of snow, blowing everypony back and covering the walls with ice. He could barely see her meld into the snowstorm, disappearing from the hallway. It died down; a sudden bloom of warmth filled the hall now that she was gone.

He tried to move, but the leg that Chrysalis had stabbed didn't want to move. He suppressed a grunt of pain.

"Pennaprose! Oh my geez, are you all right...?" Twilight rushed over to him, tenderly stroking his injured leg.

"I'll be fine... but I can't move at the moment. Don't worry about it, I'll be all right..."

She paused, then slapped him across the face, sending his glasses flying. "No, you're not all right. That whole ordeal back there..."

"...So you know," said Pennaprose resignedly. "So you know..."

"The changeling with the strong accent abbreviated the story to us while he was freeing us from our cell," said Twilight. "Things are far more serious than I thought..."

He grabbed his glasses magically, setting them back on his face without comment. Gosthette wandered over, seemingly exhausted.

"Sorry that you had to go through all of that. It's my fault..."

As one, Twilight and the other girls rushed to form a wall between Gosthette and him. "You! What are you doing here?!"

Gosthette grimaced, but said nothing.

"Everyone... drop it. Gosthette is not our enemy any longer," said Pennaprose. "There are bigger pests to squish."

There was a distinct air of confusion as the girls looked at him inquisitively. "I thought it was her fault that we all got kidnapped?" asked Dash.

"It was her fault. But Chrysalis is Equestria's fault. Besides... Chrysalis betrayed her. She isn't affiliated with Chrysalis anymore... are you?" asked Pennaprose.

"...No. Though this changeling body may remain..."

"Excusing me, Gazetta? If I maybe?" interjected Aloysius. "Vould you preferring to not having body of changeling? I can be fixing zat, if you like."

Gosthette eyed him. "...We'll work out the details later. Thanks, Pane."

"You didn't know she would betray you anyway. But here isn't the best place to talk," Pennaprose said, a tone of steel entering his voice. "Let's get back to Ponyville. ...It's warmer there."

Gosthette tiredly nodded, picking up Changeré and stowing it with Djiingoh. "You still succeeded in your original mission, though. Lyra is sleeping..."

He gazed into Lyra's changeling face. He could see tears clearly frozen to her face.

"Right..."

Twilight and Applejack picked him up, supporting him between them as they walked out together, a decidedly odd group.

The warmth of sunlight never felt so inviting before.