• Published 4th Oct 2015
  • 2,147 Views, 40 Comments

The Element of Common Sense: The Nightmare - TheGradualGhost



A human and his dog are transported to Equestria just before a force of evil returns. Along the way he discovers that ponies often overlook details. His therapist will never believe any of this.

  • ...
6
 40
 2,147

Ticket to Ride

“Equestria?” Rick asked incredulously.

“Yes,” I respond.

“As in equestrian?” Rick begins. “Like horseriding?”

“Look I met the alicorn in my nightmares and was transported to a whole other world.” I understand why he’s having difficulty with this but I need him to move on to what’s actually important.

“I’m just trying to understand what’s going on here,” Rick clears his throat. “You claim that you actually went to another world in your dreams.”

“Well not necessarily,” I begin and sigh. “I think it might have been a dream but it’s weird that I remember it so vividly.”

“So a dream that you remember in high detail is causing you concern?”

“Not necessarily.”

“Then what is the problem?”

“The problem is that I went back.” Rick looks confused. “Every night when I fall asleep I wake up in Equestria and this has happened every night this week.”

“What?” Rick seems confused. He’s not making me feel any better.

“And the injuries I sustained during the first night carry over,” I expand.

“That doesn’t make any sense,” Rick countered.

“But it’s happening,” I begin. “Take last night for example…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“What the hell is the Grand Galloping Gala?” I ask no one in particular. The mailpony seems… well I don’t know. Her eyes go in two different directions and she’s always smiling.

“Is gala food?” Yogi asks. I just stare at him.

“Gala is not food Yogi,” I tell the mutt before addressing the mailpony. “Thanks I guess.” Then I shut the door in her face.

In my hand was an open envelope and a golden ticket with Grand Galloping Gala - Admit One written on it. On the reverse of the ticket my name was written in a similar manner. Inside the envelope there remained a sheet of paper that I didn’t have the courage to read just yet; I know that I shouldn’t procrastinate but it didn’t seem time critical. It could wait at least until I hobbled back to my comfortable chair in the back of the library.

Ah the library. It was cozy. It was also a tree.

So I was released from the hospital the day after being admitted after I explained how long it normally takes for bones to heal for my species. The doctors had cast some spells which were supposed to speed up the healing process but they stopped after I began coughing up blood. It was determined that my body was having adverse reactions to direct contact with magic and that I should limit my exposure. So the bone was set, leg encased in plaster, and I was prescribed medication for pain. I fashioned a sturdy branch into a crutch and followed Spike to the library.

Speaking of Spike, I wish that someone had told me that I’d be living with a dragon. I probably would have reacted more appropriately than shouting “HOLY SHIT IT’S A FUCKING DRAGON!” in his face. Not my best first impression.

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve made any good first impressions here. It’s a wonder Twilight agreed to letting me live with her.

Well I’ve made it to my chair and sit down. I like the library. It’s peaceful in here and I’m surrounded by books. I know I don’t look it but I used to read all the time. I appreciate all kinds of books but I do find myself coming back to my favorites for comfort; there’s a reason why I’ve read the Hobbit five times.

I do have to admire this library though. It’s almost as though the tree itself grew with the purpose of housing books on shelves. There is literally no indication that the tree was hollowed out artificially. It’s just like it grew to be a library and home. It’s so weird.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I don’t see what this has to do with the letter,” Rick mused.

“I didn’t want to read it to be honest,” I respond.

“Was it really that bad?” Rick asked.

“No, I guess not,” I sigh. “Just confusing.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear David Starr,

I hope that your recovery is coming along nicely. I wish that there were better things to chat about but I am deeply sorry for involving you in so much trouble.

But I do have a bit of consolation for you. In a few months time the Grand Galloping Gala will be taking place in Canterlot. As such I have taken the liberty of personally inviting you. It is entirely your choice whether you should attend but I feel that a nice evening in the biggest event in Equestria would at least be enjoyable.

Hopefully you will be able to attend.

Once again I am sorry,
Princess Luna

It’s a party. A party for ponies. I’m not sure what I expected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I’m not quite understanding what your point is,” Rick interrupts my thrilling tale.

“Well the party was just that, a party," I respond. "My real point comes later because the ponies in this other world have abandoned common sense."

“What?” Rick asks.

“I made the joke once all was said and done that the only reason they survived was because I was there to be the voice of reason,” I sigh. “When I returned I realized that I may have been very accurate. For instance later that day...”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Fluttershy what are you doing here?” I ask the timid pegasus at the door.

“Well I just figured that Twilight could use some help cleaning up this place so I brought my animal friends to help out,” Fluttershy answered.

“Why?”

“Well she just seemed so stressed out when I ran into her earlier that I thought I would offer some help.” Now she’s looking nervous.

“Did you run this by her at all?” I’m guessing no.

“Well no,” she begins, “but I thought I’d make it a surprise.”

“You do realize that between Twilight, Spike and myself the three of us do a pretty good job of keeping the library clean,” I say while giving my best deadpan look.

“Well I’m sure you could use a little help,” she offers. I sigh and hobble out of her way.

“The library is currently open for business so please keep it quiet and if Twilight returns I didn’t give you permission to do this,” I turn to face her, “understand?”

“I understand,” and with that a trail of squirrels, birds and a single rabbit began following her into the library.

I just make my way back to my seat. I suppose I have become the librarian whenever Twilight is away which has afforded me a few liberties and a steady job. I like this setup and I want to hang onto it while I’m here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Wait a minute,” Rick interrupts. “If you think it might be some dream world why are you so attached to it?”

“It feels as real as this room I’m in right now,” I drag a hand over my face while I sigh. “I’m not sure which world is the real one. For all I know this is the dream and I’m stuck in a land of ponies.”

“Well that’s pretty drastic,” Rick begins. “But I am real and I assure you that this is the real world.”

“I feel like my mental projection of you would say the exact same thing,” I counter. “Look there’s no tangible proof either way so I don’t take any chances in either world. Can I continue?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sure enough Twilight and Spike came back.

“Ugh,” she exasperatedly sighed. “I never thought being showered with gifts could be so aggravating.” That’s when she noticed Fluttershy humming a tune and dusting the shelves. “Fluttershy not you too?!”

She had managed to get all the animals into the cleaning spirit and the rabbit, whom she called Angel, was busy making a salad. She even got Yogi to help clean and all he wants to do is sleep. All in all I was impressed.

“Oh hello Twilight,” Fluttershy fluttered down to meet her. “I just thought we’d offer a little help with the spring cleaning.”

“It’s summer,” Twilight retorted. I often wonder if she gets the snarkiness from me or if it was lying dormant inside of her.

“Well better late than never,” Fluttershy offers. I sigh in my seat.

“I told her to run it by you first,” I say while looking up from my copy of the Princess and the Pauper. Twilight turns to me.

“And you couldn’t kick her out?” she asks. To answer her question I just point at my leg in the cast.

“No,” I begin, “besides she’s just cleaning. She’s also doing a really good job of it.”

“She’s doing it just because she wants my Gala ticket,” Twilight angrily retorts.

“Oh no, not at all,” Fluttershy begins. “This was Angel’s idea and—” Angel gives her a look “—oh, yes we are just doing this for the ticket.” Twilight seems to get angry and then deflate.

“Look,” Twilight begins, “I appreciate what you are doing but these favors and gifts cannot sway me here. I will let everyone know when I have made a decision but I will not be making one until I have had some lunch and some time to think it over.” She trots over to the door and opens it. “So if you could please leave I’ll begin solving this—”

A pair of pink hooves pulls Twilight and Spike out of the library. Music is heard. I know where this is going.

“Twilight said let her figure it out,” I turn to address Fluttershy. “So let her figure it out. Get the animals out of here.”

Looking dejected Fluttershy rounds up the animals and exits the library.

“Can’t say I didn’t warn her right Yogi?” I ask. I receive no answer and look around. The library is empty. “Fluttershy! Bring Yogi back here!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I don’t think I follow,” Rick began. “What exactly is the problem and why do you feel so attached to it?”

“Twilight’s friends wouldn’t let her grab lunch to think about the dilemma,” I responded. “And I feel attached to it because I live there and those ponies should know better.”

“I think I need to prescribe you some meds,” Rick says under his breath.

“Cute,” I counter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight teleports into the library some time later. The sun has set now. Twilight still appears distraught. Spike looks extra crispy.

Note to self: Do not let Twilight teleport me. Yogi runs over to investigate.

“Warn me next time you’re gonna do that,” Spike says.

“You smell like chicken,” Yogi says. I’m thankful that only I can really understand him.

“I didn’t even know it was gonna happen,” Twilight retorts. “Now quick lock the doors.”

“Um Twilight,” I try to catch her attention.

“Not now I just need to make sure that nopony follows us,” Twilight is lost in her task.

“Too late,” I announce. She turns around and finds five ponies waiting for her.

“Aaagh,” she screams. “I can’t decide, I just can’t decide. Everypony has a good reason to go and all the gifts and favors aren’t helping me figure it out. You’re all my friends and I wanna make you all happy and I can’t.” She breaks down after that. This was a long time coming.

Applejack moves toward the distraught unicorn and lays a hoof on her.

“Twilight,” Applejack begins, “ah didn’t mean to put so much pressure on ya. An’ if it helps ah don’t want the ticket anymore. Ya can give it to somepony else.”

“Me, too,” Fluttershy offers. “I just feel so awful that I made you feel awful.”

“And me too,” Pinkie pipes in. “It’s no fun upsetting your friends.”

“Twilight,” Rarity apologizes, “it was unfair of me to try to force you as I did.” This seems to be a nice moment here.

“Yes!” Rainbow exclaims. “That means the ticket is mine!” She starts singing a song and we all give her our best mean looks. “Oh, I haven’t perfected my moves for the Wonderbolts anyway. I don’t need that ticket either.”

“You know,” I begin, “if you guys had just left Twilight alone she could have figured this all out on her own.”

“Why didn’t you say anything earlier?” Rainbow asks me. I point to my cast. “Oh…” I receive five apologetic looks.

“We’re sorry,” all five guilty ponies say in unison.

“Spike, take a letter,” Twilight calls out. Spike appears with a scroll and quill in hand. “Dear Princess Celestia, I’ve learned that one of the great joys of friendship is sharing your blessings, but when there’s not enough to go around, having more than your friends can make you feel awful. So, though I appreciate the invitation, I will be returning both tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala.”

“What?!” five ponies say in unison. I swear it’s almost like they practice that.

“If my friends can’t all go,” Twilight looks over the others, “then I don’t want to go either.”

“Twilight,” Applejack begins, “you don’t have to go and do that.”

“Nope, I’ve made up my mind,” Twilight steels herself. “Spike you can send the letter.”

With permission granted Spike exhales a small flame which catches the scroll and sends the ashes out the open window. Fluttershy attempts to comfort Twilight which results in an impromptu group hug.

Spike then begins gagging. Applejack looks ready to tear into him but I throw my hand up to stop her. Living in the library you tend to look out for the warning signs and I feel that a letter is coming.

Sure enough Spike belches a small burst of flame and a letter materializes in the room. He expertly catches it and opens it.

“That was fast!” Twilight exclaims. It almost feels as though she was waiting for this. I wouldn’t put it past Celestia to have a response on standby for this.

“My Faithful Student Twilight,” Spike reads aloud. “Why didn’t you say so in the first place?” In Spike’s hand six tickets are then revealed to the group.

“Now we can all go,” Twilight happily exclaims. “But wait,” she turns to face me, “wouldn’t you want to go too?”

“I’m touched that you’re thinking of me,” I begin, “but I’ve already got my ticket. I was invited as Luna’s plus one.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“And then they all ask me questions I can’t answer and Twilight’s stomach growls and everyone just goes to get food,” I finish my story. Rick looks confused.

“I really don’t understand what you want from me here,” he offers.

“Sanity,” I say. “I want to tell these crazy stories to someone before I lose my mind. Hopefully doing so will give me some validation that one of these dreamworlds is the real one. I’ll be going back there tonight and there’s nothing I can do to stop it.”

“Something else seems to be bothering you,” Rick has shown himself to be astute in his observations.

I feel a pang of guilt as the image of Yogi sniffing Spike passes through my brain.

“Yogi,” I sigh, “my dog has gone missing from this world but he’s there in Equestria. I’ve put up posters and checked animal shelters but he is nowhere to be found.”

“Is that why you cling so heavily to your dreams?” Rick asks.

“He could be dead or dying out there,” I shudder. “But he’s alive and well in Equestria.”

A moment passes in silence before I hear Rick stirring.

“Your hour has expired but let me just say that if you ever need to talk to someone,” he hands me a business card, “I’ll be that ear and we don’t have to make it an extra session this time.”

Taking a close look at the card I see a phone number scrawled onto the back. It’s not his office number.

“Thanks, I appreciate that,” I say. “Well I suppose it’s time for me to head back into a land of candy-colored ponies.” With that I’m out the door.

Author's Note:

Who needs a steady update schedule anyway?!

I'm going to at least apologize here, I promised one chapter a month and I didn't deliver. I'm sorry.

I'll go back to my previous schedule of when it's done because that apparently let's me work on stuff faster (however that works).

So again, sorry this is late but stay tuned for the next installment.

Comments ( 3 )

“I’m touched that you’re thinking of me,” I begin, “but I’ve already got my ticket. I was invited as Luna’s plus one.”

He's only been there for days and he has already bagged himself a princess. Nice.

7402276 It definitely helps that she injured him and tormented him with nightmares. As an apology be my plus one.

This story is probably dead, but i love it. I've never seen a concept like this before. You probably won't read this, but I hope you're doing alright.

Login or register to comment