• Published 3rd Mar 2015
  • 873 Views, 50 Comments

A Common Cold - Versity2003



It started out as a common cold... but it changed... and it changed everypony.

  • ...
5
 50
 873

III.Baby steps

Twilight, was in her bed coughing. "*cough* ack! Stupid darn cough *cough*" the purple pony hacked, spitting out some mucus. Her room was a mess, for the past two days she had done nothing to clean it, and generated even more mess. Her mane was unkempt, tangled and greasy. The blinds were drawn down, and the room was so dark to the point where your average pony could barely make out what was what and where that what was. Her eyes had bags, making her look as if she got no sleep for the past week, however these bags were stress induced. Twilight got out of her messy bed, messing up the covers even further, not even bothering to clean it up. She fabricated another spoon, grabbing the cough syrup bottle that she had on her dresser. She poured the goopy red liquid into the spoon, and gulped it down. It tasted so bad that it made her cringe. She began reading the back of the bottle, curious as to why it wasn't working. "If sickness does not improve, or worsens within two days, please consult a doctor." The pony read out-loud, "GOD! I need to go to the doctor, somethings not right!" Twilight trotted down the stairs at a very urgent pace.

"Heya Twilight! Did you sleep well, I've been managing the library for you!" Spike cheered seeing his owner.

"No time to talk, gotta go to the docto-" She paused. The Library was filled with ponies. All looking at her in shock, for she didn't look like the princess's prized pupil, but instead some deranged phsyco. "SPIKE!" she yelled "What is with all the ponies?! I TOLD you, to close the library!" Twilight paced circles around spike, her steps screaming in anger.

"I-I-I'm I'm sorry Twilight! I-I'll close up... RIGHT NOW!" Spike stuttered in fear and guilt. He walked over to the center of the library, and took a look at all the ponies who had stopped in their tracks blinking in disbelief. "Go home..." Spike ordered walking away.

"Is that really the mare who saved us from discord?" Somepony said. Twilight shot the mare an angered look, and everypony else stayed silent fast-walking out of the building.

"Now then- Off to the doctors!" Twilight said trotting her way out the door as well. She hurried over to the doctor's office along the dirt roads, trying her best to ignore the mix of shocked and dirty looks that were shot her way, but she eventually made it. "I need to see a doctor." Twilight said to the nurse mare behind the window.

"Ye-Yes right away! By the looks of you... you'll need more than a doctor- but a doctor is the least I can do!" The mare said fumbling with the clip-board and quill. She looked panicked as if Twilight were -again- some kind of deranged phsyco. Twilight levitated the quill with her magic, signing her name onto the list. "O-Okay... right through that door... On the l-left!" she pointed her white hoof to a door that read "Dr.Medicine"

"Okay!" Twilight cheered giving the mare a smile, which cause the mare to duck in fear. "What has gotten into her..." Twilight muttered under her breathe as she opened the door.

"Ahh! oh- sorry! Hi..." A brown stallion greeted, "Umm... Doctor medicine."

"Twilight." The purple pony smiled walking deeper into the room. "AHH!" She screamed seeing herself in the mirror for the first time in a couple days, "I-I look like a monster! Ha! That explains why everypony was looking at me weird!" She turned around with a creepy smile on her face, as she chuckled to herself. She found it so funny that she was a blind idiot.

"Okay- so. Open wide." The stallion ordered, and Twilight did so. The stallion pressed a popsicle stick down onto her tongue looking into her throat. It looked red and bumpy, with a slight bit or blood around the side. He took the stick away, and she closed her mouth, and he grabbed his stethoscope. He pressed it against her chest "Breathe." he ordered. She followed the order, but started laughing.

"I'm already breathing!" She laughed rolling her eyes "If I wasn't breathing, Then I'd be dead, and if I was dead I wouldn't be here!" The stallion drooped his ears down. She truly was mad, wasn't she. He pulled his stethoscope away, and put in back around his neck.

"You know... I think the disease is in your brain, and I think- know that it would benefit everypony if I searched for it... to find a 'cure'." he said, "what I'm saying is that I'm offering YOU a free brain operation for the greater good of science..." There was a gap in the conversation that lasted awhile, it didn't phase the stallion, but for Twilight the silence was deafening.

"YES!" She abruptly said trying to break the gap, when she felt a shot in her flank as a numbness swept her over. "W-wwaait! Ii maent tooo ssay n-" She blacked out. And when she woke up she was at home in her bed, "Spike... how did I get here?" She asked. There was no response. She tried to drift off to sleep but instead found herself tossing and turning. But then... She started smiling. Laughing. Against her will, "W-Why?!" She laughed as tears started bubbling up in her eyes.

Author's Note:

Okay so... There was about a day long gap between twilight blacking out and waking up. Everypony with the disease is either "mad" now, or about to be. Sorry if ponies are out of character, for they are losing grip of their mind... and sorry if the pacing is off! I'm still in middle school! I'm not great at writing stories! :twilightblush: