• Published 25th Feb 2015
  • 10,753 Views, 389 Comments

Trials of Blood and Kindness - CommanderX5



Fluttershy is a very kind pureblood vampony, far too peaceful for her own good. Will she persevere in a world that sees her as threat? Will she find friendship and acceptance, or will she face fear and hostility?

  • ...
30
 389
 10,753

Epilogue

Trials of Blood and Kindness

-

Epilogue

“How was the birthday party?” Blaze asked while helping to clean up the decorations. Much to his worry, three young mares stood in front of him with saddened smiles. “Is something wrong?”

Fluttershy went ahead of the group and spoke first, “I’m not safe here anymore. If I stay here, I'll put you all in grave danger.”

“What do you mean?” Blaze asked. His wife dropped her cleaning tools and rushed to join them.

Assured by Fluttershy that Dash’s parents could be trusted, Ditzy spent the next few minutes explaining the situation, while revealing her own secret.

***

“–My mom found a few places where we can live in Ponyville, and we were about to move there. During our search, she also found an abandoned cottage on the edge of the Everfree Forest and a vacant cloud house, both very cheap.”

Rainbowshine looked at Fluttershy. “Are you sure there is no other way?”

The thestral shook her head. “I wish there was.” She sighed. “For them, I am just a threat, yet another pureblood to remove or banish. Leaving is the most peaceful solution.”

“And I’m moving too,” Dash added with a determined stomp, causing her parents to step back and look at her with wide eyes. “I’ll help her settle down in the cottage, and I can live with her until I fix that house in the sky.”

Both parents ran to Dash and knelt as Blaze spoke first, “What? You can’t leave us just like that! And how can you two even afford those homes, even if they are cheap?”

Dash pointed at the grey pegasus, who waved at them with cheerful smile. “Derpy said that her parents owe a debt to Flutters’ family, so they will cover the cost.” She sighed. “I know it may be difficult, but I am no longer a filly. I can take care of myself, and so can Fluttershy.”

The vampony nodded with a surprising amount of determination. She approached Dash’s mother and stood on her rear hooves as she whispered into her ear, “In a few months, the effect of the age-altering spell will vanish. I will take care of Dash and keep her from trouble.”

She took a quick breath and continued, concern clear in her voice, "From what my parents told me, young purebloods prefer to turn ponies who are already athletic or skilled in combat. That, and those who wander outside late at night." She stroked Dash’s mother’s foreleg and said in a warmer tone, "Avoid standing out, and you both should be safe."

Fluttershy shot her fast flying friend a quick glance before continuing, "Your daughter, on the other hoof, will be safer away from Cloudsdale."

Rainbow Dash tilted her head in confusion, wondering what her friend was keeping a secret from her.

Rainbowshine was taken aback by Fluttershy’s promise and warning, but most of all by the strength in her voice. This wasn’t the devastated and broken filly they had taken care of for half a year, but a mature pureblood thestral filled with hope. Was this the result of Ditzy’s encouragements? Or was the age-altering spell finally giving up?

Dash’s mother rubbed her chin. Once she was at her full age, Fluttershy would be capable to look after her daughter. Suddenly, worry about Dash’s education crossed her mind. “And what about school? We can provide you both with bits and food until you find a job, but what about your studies?”

“Actually...” Derpy raised her forehoof. “There are some free spots in the weather department, at least this is what my mom told me. The age requirement is fifteen years minimum, and they provide a quick course about weather management. They tend to overlook the education so long as the pegasus can do its job.”

“See?” Dash added with a confident smile. “I’m the fastest in my class. It should be a breeze for me.”

Rainbowshine’s eyes watered as she embraced her daughter tightly enough to keep the air from reaching her lungs. ”You are growing so fast.”

Blaze joined the hug. “I am proud of you, Dash. I am sure you’ll show those ponies in Ponyville how to manage weather. After all, I taught you everything I know.”

“Thanks Dad... Mom...” the young mare said, barely catching her breath between her words as she struggled to free herself. She slowly pushed herself away from the embrace. “A little air… please.”

Released from the hug, she fell onto her flank and massaged her back. She looked up at her parents, who were on the verge of tears, and looked around, making sure there weren’t many witnesses. With a deep breath, she spoke, “I love you.”

“We love you too,” both parents responded in unison. Their attention slowly switched to Fluttershy, who sat behind Derpy and observed the situation with a warm smile.

Derpy walked to the side as both parents approached Fluttershy. Blaze spoke first, “Should I call you Miss Fluttershy from now on, or would you prefer Lady Fluttershy instead?”

“W-what?”

“You’re about to go live on your own… away from us, that is. Surely calling you a filly would be disrespectful,” Blaze continued before chuckling. “Not to mention that you are far older than me.”

“I guess...” she said before being caught in a tight hug by Dash’s mother.

“Even under our care, you never went outside and talked to anypony beside us. Are you sure you’re prepared to move away?” Rainbowshine asked with concern. “Not to mention to look after my daughter?”

“What?” Dash flinched before stomping. “I will look after Flutters, not the other way around.”

Fluttershy sighed. “I don’t have much of a choice anyway. This place is not safe for me any longer, and if I stay here, it won’t be for you.” She smiled and added cheerfully, “After all the support and acceptance you showed me, I wouldn’t dare to be a burden to you.”

“You were never a burden to us, dear. We will miss you,” Shine said. With her mouth close to the vampony’s ear, she asked, “Still, what about your feeding habits? I don’t want you to starve yourself… again.”

Not bothering to resist the warm embrace, she placed her forelegs around Rainbowshine, only to feel a pair of wings circle her own back. The gesture left her conflicted. The joy of being accepted into a loving family during times of hardship, mixed with regret of leaving them behind. “I… will think of something.”

The pegasus freed Fluttershy from her hug and exposed her neck, a farewell gift for the incoming journey. Once Fluttershy finished and licked his wound, he gave her a stern glare. "One more thing."

"Y-yes?"

"We have been taking care of you until now since you saved our daugther's life, but from now on you two will be on your own." He pointed at Fluttershy and whispered, "Keep yourself and our daughter out of trouble and away form the conflict including your race. Rainbow Dash is a bit too brave for her own good, and I wouldn't be happy if she hurt herself on your watch. Am I clear?"

Fluttershy gulped and nodded.

Rainbowshine gave her daughter a similar look. "Rainbow Dash, I'm expecting you to behave and stay out of danger. Try your best to help and take care of Fluttershy, but also listen to her since she's older and more experienced. In case of danger, use your speed to escape instead of rushing into it. I hope we have a understanding."

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. "Fiiineee..." She blushed upon getting a quick kiss in the cheek. "Mooom!"

“Hello, I have never seen you before, have I seen you before?” Those were the second words Fluttershy heard upon their arrival at the cottage, coming from a young pink mare who seemed eager to welcome her into Ponyville.

Author's Note:

Greetings everyone. I have been planning to upload this Epilogue and the sequel ro celebrate S5 E21 episode. I hope you all had fun watching it, I sure did.

Link to the sequel - Path of Kindness and Blood

Please enjoy, and don't forget to leave some feedback and upvote before going to the sequel (If you haven't and feel that this story deserves it).

Proof-readed by:
by Soge

Edited by:
Worthy

Comments ( 81 )

Exhalente!:raritystarry:
though, you forgot to change the thing from incomplete to complete.

6588602
Thanks for reminding me.

And so end the beginning of an awesome story and the beginning of another one. Can't wait to read the next one...

C&C:
Rainbow Dash titled her head in confusion, wondering what her friend was keeping a secret from her.
> Correction: ‘tilted’. Replace ‘what’ with ‘why’.

"That's A WRAP!" good a ending as any.

I was at first, confused but then, I understood.

Of course the first pony they meet is Pinkie.

6591308
Sorry that I failed to write Dash according to her age. No one is perfect.

6591398
I placed some hints here and there about how much years have passed and their age. I hoped it would be enough.

Welp, those monster hunters really fucked up. If Cloudsdale turns into a bit of a war zone, they'll be lucky to survive with merciless purebloods to deal with. :pinkiecrazy: I want them to die.

6592977

is that Twilight became a princess at like 18 years old.

Actually, she should be like 21.

Just because in Equestira girls main characters are teens doesn't mean they are teens in main show. In Pinkie Pride, we can see 21 candles on the cake, and it was like 1 year after Twilight arrived in Ponyville. And true, we saw the cake only form one side, but I sitll think it was intentional to show Dash's age through a giant cake filled with candles form 2 D perspective.

Anyway, just because kids save the world in many animes doesn't mean MLP follow that. Main 6 seems very mature and grown up. As for crusaders, yes, they show maturity quite often, on this I agree.

6593127
Sorry, I can't give any spoilers.

6593174
Sequel sequel will be about return of Nightmare Moon. So yes, Luna won't be appearing in the sequel.

6593218
Well... the war over teritory take place between young purebloods trying to get control over Cloudsdale, and they will be fighting with each other. I think the hunters won't be in too much danger.

6592977 The CMC seem to be more around age ten, not seven. Though, their actual ages are never specified, and we can only extrapolate that they're older than five thanks to Sweetie's flashback to her fifth birthday, it's typically assumed they mature at the same rate as humans.

P.S. I realize this is a nitpick, but criticism helps us grow as authors.

I finally finished this, and I gotta say, it's pretty good. The only significant complaint I could make is that some of Rainbow Dash's dialogue is rather OOC. For example, try actually picturing Rainbow saying this;

“The sun! She’s been exposed to the sun for far too long in her weakened stage.” She started hyperventilate. “Normally she would be only weakened and could last under the sun for nearly half a day, but she is starving. With so little blood left, the sun must be deadly for her!”

This sounds more like a Twilight quote.

Regardless, it was a great story. Now to read the sequel :pinkiehappy:

6597785
You have a point. I tried to show up Dash's panic, but it was to much Twilight's like.

I changed it too:

Dash rubbed her chin nervously as she got deep in thought. Her attention focused on the windows in the dining room and the rays of the sun that went inside. Slowly understanding the issue, she looked at her mom and spread her forelegs in panic. “The sun! She’s been exposed to the sun for far too long...” She started hyperventilate. “She is starving! With so little blood left, the sun must be deadly for her!”

6598142 That is better. Again, it's still an enjoyable story, so I wouldn't worry too much.

6591073 Yes, but Dracula is kind of THE vampire.

Can't we just agree that Edward Cullen is the worst vampire, he's like that smelly kid who eats a mayo and honey sandwich in the corner. He should get kicked out of Vampire Club.

6604722 Edward Cullen isn't a vampire...HE'S A FOOKING FAIRY PRETENDING TO BE A VAMPIRE :flutterrage:

This story was so cute and sad!!! Fluttershy's parents reminded me of Karin's parents from Chibi Vampire. The manga is much better than the anime! Anyways this story was very touching I can't wait to see how Fluttershy will fit in with the residents of Ponyville. And having Derpy as a bat pony was a nice surprise! :derpytongue2:

6778920
Sadly, you're not wrong.

6778934
They are trained to hunt monsters and protect ponies form them, they don't look into who they hunt, just follow orders. There is no diplomacy between thestrals and ponies, so it is normal that hunters show first and ask later.

6779021
Okay, you lost me.

6779052
I understand your point of view as so far you see the situation from Fluttershy's perspective. However I can quarantee that many thestrals don't play nice as well.

6779081
There is still a long sequel to read, don't give up now, stay determined. Lol.

Yay! I didn't go cray cray! :scootangel:Not completely anyways!:pinkiecrazy:

A couple quirky diolouge bumps, but apart from that, this was very enjoyable.

6779426
6779487
Don't worry. The sequel will be where your sanity will get a break, at least to a certain point. Have fun.

6785878
I don't get it.

6787608
Cool. Also, if you can point out some of those issues, maybe I can fix them. Depending on how big they are.

6805159
Thanks, but it was just a prologue,
Chapter 6 is where things turn dark and sad.

6810414
Don't underestimate pegasi. They are very durable when it comes to crashing from high heights. The teacher most likely assumed Dash crashed from low heigh or hit something soft since there were no visible injuries.

6810803
:eeyup:

6814276
6814637
6814665
That's some feel-train heading in one direction. Hopefully it didn't make you cry or anything like that.

6825489
I think Fluttershy meant grow up mentally, get more mature and less reckless, but yes, physically Dash is still a filly, so one can take Fluttershy's words literally and metaphorically.

6826307

How bad were her scores before if she's happy about an F. Or is the author British? where they have the really lenient grading scale that you don't need 70% to pass.

50% is minimum to pass a test, not 70%. Dash is happy because usually she got 35% and had to take on the test for second or even third time. She was never good at theory, and getting enougth points on first try is a shock to her.

6840932
Nope, he murmured it to himself when there was no one nearby to hear him.

6845785
maybe "the world was spinning before her very eyes"

I meant that part to not be taken literally.

On a side note, since Celestia and Luna raise and lower the sun and the moon around Equestira, it would mean that those two objects aren't as big as in our world, maybe not even able to circle the planet on their own as they are away from planet's orbit. Maybe the plannet isn't even circling as it isn't in orbit of any large sun.

6858612
They were lain down
He lied down
He lay down

Sure
As odd as it sounded
works.

6826768
Not sure where you're from, but in America, anything below 70% is not traditionally called passing. Some schools I hear allow 60% but that's the lowest I've heard of a passing grade being and my own school required a 70... So... Wait, in what countries is below 60 passing? Is the reason I keep hearing shit about how terrible the American education system because everyone else accepts 50% scores? Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of America having different systems and standards but this is ridiculous...

6945079
I am a little overhelmed with other stories to work on this part in this chapter, but I may look into it in the future, but no promisses.
Hopefully you won't find this issue in the sequel since I put more efforts into it (this story was more of an introduction.)


6945169
I come from Poland where scoring system depending on school is either 1,2,3,4,5,6 or 2,3,4,5 where to pass a test, you usually need 50% (you get 3 for that).

6946068 no promises needed. I'm going to probably start reading the squel tonight and hope too see stronger characterization but as said before, the route you went was OK, it hurt who they actually were too much and instead added on to the existing reasons for fluttershy being so shy and weak willed at times. You've made great characters more in depth with this story and added to their background in a way that agreed with already established norms of their characterization.

The only complaint I had was that you made the characters seem to too quickly accept the information they have received and also that there was not enough tension forcing them to hasten their decisions at the time that they changed their minds. If I was a parent with a questionable story of my child dying if it wasn't for someone who I just so happened to think was trying to hurt her, I wouldn't have been so ready to accept that story without a healthy dose of caution. Witht the way flutters and rainbow acted, it would be accepted as a possibility, but likely not fully until I saw something like a rather nasty scar under her fur or some other very convincing evidence.

Again though, I stress the point that there was no issue with the end result, just the methods of getting there. Here's to a good story and a hopefully greater squel!

7023915
It helps a little and for as understanding as these parents seem, it's not unlikely that they would trust their daughter, particularly if they know her as a feircly loyal pony.

Everyone has a certain style and yours tends to be a bit more theatrical writing, full of emotional extremes and bold actions and statements. My personal favorite style is about subtleties and surprises, characters doing things unexpectedly that you didn't realize they were setting up for until it happens but it all makes sense afterwards. I believe that may be the source of what's bugging me here. Every style has "flaws" but many of them are sujective and unique to each person's personal tastes.

7050564
Is not that a bit harsh?

7074766
Smart bullies aren't all that common.

7092706
Thanks.

7104041
Celestia is in a large dilemate.

While she think of thestrals as her subjects and doesn't support hunter's action, she still views purebloods as a threat (she is unsure who she can trust ).

She cannot make an open action against the hunters without raising public awareness of thestrals existence ( hunters fight thestrals behind the curtain to avoid involvement of civilians). Making their organization illegal without giving details who they are targeting is the best she can do,

Futhermore, Celestia think that hunters keep thestrals and purebloods from spreading their influence, so until purebloods will willingly negotiate peaceful solution with her, she cannot support them.

And yes, Luna/Nightmare Moon will not be happy when she learns about them.

7113806
In what sense?

Do you mean it as "this chapter was terrible"
or "this chapter was filled with horrific scenes"
?

7113875 I mean that the events which transpired were absolutely horrific.

Liked and faved. Very sad and filled me with rage. I truly hopethat somebody goes and slaughters all those damn hunters and their families. And I hope it's a very long and slow process.

Cool Cool. Liked and Faved. Will start the Sequel after I've finished a few other stories on my too read list.

7113881 7191099
To be fair, many purebloods and thestrals are no better. Fluttershy just ended up between two sides of the conflict.

7114100
It is easy to say that when you watch it from the point of innocent. It wouldn't be so easy to judge them if it was shown from hunters perspective. Those they deal with aren't always playing nice.

7137305
Alright. Have fun.

7191133
Cool, Glad you enjoyed it.
On a side note, Fluttershy as vampony stories aren't really rare because of Flutterbat, so I wouldn't say that my story is original. I just tried writting my own spin on things.

7191890 When overwhelming evidence is staring you in the face, in a rather literal sense, when the supposedly evil things are showing you time and time again to their own detriment, that they don't want to do anything... yeah I can make that judgement pretty easily.

Amazing, absolutely amazing. on to the sequel!

7262739 no wonder the rest of the world thinks Americans are stupid, they get coddled by their grading system.
American grade scale.
0-60% "F" fail
60-70% "D" barely pass(but still fail)
70-80 "C" minimum to pass, but not a good grade
80-90 "B" a pretty good grade
90-100% "A" a good grade

7262805
It seems harsh.

In Poland, it is 2,3,4,5.
2 - fail
3 - barely pass
4 - good score
5 - great score.

The way you describe it:
E is 1
D is 2
C is 3
B is 4
A is 5

7263283
we have a number system too for Grade point average.
0-60% "f" 0
60-70 "D" 1
70-80 "C" 2
80-90 "B" 3
90-100 "A" 4
in high school you can take college courses, where A-C get an additional point.
To me it sounds like the other places is too easy, because My not passing grades because I'm a slacker and don't do much work would become really good grades in other places.

7263324 I dropped out of school, (i'm in the u s) I just cud not take the BS any more :ajsleepy:

This alternate universe prequel was fucking fantastic. It killed my emotions, made me experience all of the feels, but after getting through I was hooked. I finished it in about 5 hours. You created a fantastic prequel AU and write in a totally engaging way. I think I ended up starving myself till I finished it :twilightsheepish:

I read a ton of AU stories for this fandom, a lot of them for an alternate look at a future pilot and AU, and this is up there in quality. I HATE vampires and while I have a tolerance and acceptance for Bat Ponies or Thestrals... I ignored it and focused on the overlying story. I forgot about the whole blood thing and inhaled your story.

7454122
I'm glad you enjoyed this story despite my flaws in grammar. Especialy since you're now a fan of vampire stories, yet found this acceptable enough. (I suspect Fluttershy is your fave or one of your fave ponies).

Considering that you read many AU stories, I wonder if you checked my other AU about tiny Twilight. It is a series of Twilight being shrunk so her magic surges wouldn't be danger to anypony, and she train to learn how to control her magic as Celestia's tiny student.

7455293

It's on the list. See I finished this at 11 at night the other day and I stay up late as it is. But after going through your stories, I found I was interested. Especially after the adventure I went through reading your vampire stories.

7455320
Alrightly then. In that case, take a solid rest, and hopefully you'll go on another adventurous trip tomorrow, side by side with tiny Twilight.

7569745

Interesting opening, so I take it this will be Flutterbat's first time going through the age-reversing spell? Definitely a sad thing though to completely leave decades worth of her previous life behind but hey, she gets to live a whole new one in an endless, tragic cyc,,,,le. Well I just depressed myself, what a horrifying thought.

Seems harsh but it is the neceserity.

Have my doubts the ponies would really notice though given how barely anypony even knew what a changeling was before the season 2 finale and they aren't exactly great at what they do if Chrysalis is any indication.

In this story there's another party involved which put a lot of pressure on purebloods in terms of staying hidden, and Fluttershy's family try their best to stay hidden and away from all outside conflicts.

Login or register to comment