• Published 27th Jan 2015
  • 7,226 Views, 117 Comments

Talking Ponies Syndrome - shortskirtsandexplosions



It's a beautiful day in Ponyville. Then again, every day is a beautiful day for Derpy Hooves.

  • ...
10
 117
 7,226

Tomorrow

The next morning, Derpy Hooves woke up yet again to the rhythmic tapping of the lever to her mattress. She showered, shimmied, sighed, then flew her way—smiling—through the golden bands of the blossoming day.

Within an hour, she stood at the glass counter inside Sugarcube Corner. Cup Cake was trotting up and the mailmare was reaching for her bit bag—

When two familiar figures jittered in the pegasus' peripheral vision. Derpy glanced to her left in time to see the pair of young mares smiling, tittering, murmuring unknown things as they glanced mischievously her way.

Derpy softly exhaled. When she turned back towards the counter, she spotted Cup Cake frowning at the two patrons. The baker looked as though she was about to open her mouth with an angry breath—but Derpy distracted her with a gentle hoof-wave. Once she had gotten Mrs. Cake's attention, she pointed at the pastries beneath the counter, then pulled out six bits.

The two young mares continued giggling at their table. Suddenly, a petite shadow rolled across the pair. They both looked up, and their smiles instantly faded as they blinked in confusion.

Derpy stood before them, her swiveling eyes glossy as she stretched her left wing out, offering two freshly-baked muffins. A third one rested on her right wing.

The mares gawked at her, their muzzles agape. A blush lingered between them as they exchanged nervous expressions, then looked at Derpy again.

Derpy only smiled harder, nodding as she stretched the wing with the two muffins closer to the mares.

The duo exchanged glances again. Then, with meek smiles, they graciously accepted the offering. Soon, they were scooting their chairs aside, offering Derpy room.

The mare sat down, immediately nibbling on her muffin with a contented smile. She was vaguely aware of the two mares' muzzles moving, their lips a steady blur amidst the warm haze of the living, breathing world. At some point, her good eye wandered up until it fixated on one mare's braided brown mane. Swallowing a blueberry morsel down, Derpy exhaled, pointing at the hair-do with a bright grin.

The mares looked at her, then at the one pony's manestyle. Smiling playfully, they pointed at the mare's head, then at Derpy.

Derpy nodded, grinning wide.

Over the next few minutes, the two mares stood around Derpy, licking their lips as they tied her scrappy blonde mane into neat, intricate twirls. At last, after fluffing the front edges of her bangs, they stood back with proud smirks. One mare even raised a hoof-mirror towards the pegasus, pronouncing a string of unintelligible words.

Intensely curious, Derpy simply took the mirror, clutching it before her. A middle-aged mare with a princessy braid stared back. It was so delightfully absurd that Derpy couldn't contain herself. Her breathy giggle fogged up the glass in a cloudy gray burst, and once the mist had faded, the reflections of two friendly faces were giggling too, loud and clear.

Author's Note:

Comments ( 88 )

"Aurelian", huh? Yes, Ponyville does often look to me like a reunified empire of viciously reclaimed lands.


Well, congrats, you did it again. Your ideas spin out so beautifully when you're in the mood. Wonder how long this one took you. I could've easily spent a week on something with only half the color and tonal consistency.

Hooray for Happy Derpy. :derpyderp1:

That was some of the puplest prose that's ever been penned, and yet somehow it was perfect!

5556559 I'm liking your comment cause I don't understand it and I know I'll be thinking about it for awhile.

Oh, so this isn't a Mr. Rogers crossover?

Ow, but a good ow. I don't know what I expected but I was wonderfully suprised.

I'll be honest, I couldn't decipher many of the gestures and such used in this fic, but wonderful work. I'm sure I'll figure it out during my inevitable re-reads.

Ri2
Ri2 #8 · Jan 27th, 2015 · · 1 ·

So…
I don't get it. Is Derpy deaf?

And how come nopony wanted their mail?

Love this story! So sweet and kind! :)

Best pony, an interesting interpretation of her, and a great exploration of both the consequences thereof and the power of random acts of generosity. Thank you very much for this, skirts.

5556861

The repeated references to her scar suggests that she sustained some sort of injury that resulted in a form of aphasia, leaving her unable to understand spoken language. She can still hear - she knows how many syllables are in the words Rarity says - but she can't tell what it means, or reply in kind.

The rudeness of the other ponies did seem somewhat out of place, though. Perhaps it's due to a history of clumsiness and inattention on Derpy's part, but that behavior doesn't really feel like something the citizens of Ponyville would do, in my opinion.

I think you've given me trust issues, Skirts. I look at this, a picture of Derby and a fairly tame title and description, and i think " i wonder how this is going to traumatize me".

Commence read.

Cute.

5556861 It looks like severe head trauma. No hearing, both eyes somewhat uncontrollable... She's a functional cripple, methinks.

Ri2

5556983
Poor thing.

This lines up with how she was in rainbow falls. Understanding what's going on but unable to say anything. I'm guessing that was the idea.

What would this Derpy do with a fully functional brain? Just thinking about that frustrates me.

ayh

5557134

There's nothing wrong with her brain. She has physical disabilities, but she's just as competent and wise, if not wiser, than anyone else. I don't mean to be harsh, it's hard to express ones self properly in just a short post, but I just wanted to get across to you that she's fine mentally.

5556925 Nah, totally deaf. Notice that there is not a single description of any sound in the entire story, plus Derpy's special alarm clock that taps the bed (since she wouldn't hear alarm bells). Plus, it is apparent she can read and write, which aphasia often prevents.

The ending was slightly unexpected. She's a mute and has had some sort of accident or surgery I'd imagine.

Nice read. The ending just felt right. Very Derpy. Much muffins.

Derpy is deaf and has symptoms of strabismus, but are both due to the injury on her head, or is one of them natural?

A cute read.

For those who enjoy the Derpy/Doctor fanon, realize that the TARDIS uses technological means of psychic manipulation to allow its users universal translation regardless of their physical ability to speak or hear. I am saying this story can fit the fanon without contradiction!

Hello... doctor... name... continue... yesterday... tomorrow...

HellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrowHellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrowHellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrowHellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrowHellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrowHellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrowHellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrowHellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrowHellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrowHellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrowHellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrowHellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrowHellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrowHellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrowHellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrowHellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrowHellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrowHellodoctornamecontinueyesterdaytomorrow

...........

Hello Dr. Chandra.

I'm ready for my first lesson.

This was very cute and kinda sad, but I loved seeing Derpy overcome her everyday hurdles. Rarity's kindness also made me tear up a bit, as did Derpy's ability to confront those two mares who were mocking her and end up with two new(hopefully contrite) friends. This story is still too sad for my headcanon, but at the end of the day I enjoyed the warm fuzzies it invoked. Nice job, fav'd.:derpytongue2:

Wow great story and amazing point of veiw. Would love to see this expand into a series of stories about Derpy and her life in Ponyville.

The hearing impairment dose do a great job of explaining the voice they went with in the cartoon.

Another great story. I wish I could churn stuff out on even a rudimentary level, and yet you keep writing prolifically and your stuff gets me nearly every time. Bravi.

Wow. What an interesting read. Good perspective. Thanks for sharing!

5556925
I happen to disagree- the citizens of ponyville can be absolute jerks if the plot line deems it necessary- like in Boast Busters.

If I could up vote this twice, I would. Excellent work. :pinkiehappy:

5556559
"What" prose? I don't understand.

5558988
5556607
"In literary criticism, purple prose is prose text that is so extravagant, ornate, or flowery as to break the flow and draw excessive attention to itself." - Wikipedia

DAAWWW!!! THE FEELS!

5559125
Oh. The more you know, I guess.

"intelligible" - maybe you meant unintelligible? Something intelligible can be understood.

As usual a great story, and a different style than your other stories. I teared up at the end of the first chapter. Can't wait for your next story.

5556880

You are asking the important questions. (Though I'm gonna just say it was an artistic choice. Derpy has no idea why these people don't want their mail, either. It's part of building her character and getting you, the reader, immersed in it. For Derpy, this is a daily occurrence and it goes to show you just how much speaking and hearing play into existence. It also heightens Rarity's actions, i.e. it doesn't matter what can or can't be said because, as the epilogue shows, actions speak louder than words in the long run anyhow.)

I liked Couchtavia more in the "physical handicap due to traumatic injury" subgenre you have going, but this was still nice and good and such. You already know my thoughts on where and how to improve.

This was super fun and cute! Very nice.

Aphasia. What a dismal fate, but then your Derpy carries it with grace and heart!

Another impressive story, Skirts.
As far as I'm concerned, you are the first fellow of feels.
You are Feelonius Monk.
You are Feelszilla.

Thanks.
:fluttercry:

I...


Yeah, not even gonna try on this one.
:ajsleepy:

5556925

In canon perhaps they wouldn't. But in canon they're generally meant to be kind and thoughtful (except when they're absolute jerks, which they also are in canon at times). But in the stories we read and write, we don't really operate on the "this is for television, everyone put on the biggest smile!" rule, and more often than not interject more realism into reactions and interpersonal relations.

Always a treat. Thanks Skirts.

Happy best pony is best best pony.

That was wonderful. A fantastic portrayal of one of my favorite ponies. I particularly liked the ending.

As a wise man once said: Diabetus!

This is exactly what I think of when I read this.
The author reminds me of everything worth throwing in a gas chamber. He probably was the gay flight attendant that started AIDS by fucking a monkey.

As the author took the two inch monkey peen up his ass he contemplated killing himself because of how bad he is at life.
Instead he turned to my little penis where he fit in like a champ. After joining his fellow neck beards on their quest to degrade humanity, he decided to go and fuck a horse like Mr. Hands. Unfortunately, the author did not die from his ruptured anus. Soon he was back at BronyCon with his fellow faggots as they proceeded to "Love and tolerate" like the homos they are.

In conclusion, you should kill yourself.

Happy happy ending!

Is someone here downvote spamming things for a reason or not?

5557400 Oh i know. Her handicaps are crippling, but she's not helpless or incapable. I also agree that she is quite wise; its unfortunate that she can't express that wisdom if she wanted to or not.

Login or register to comment