• Published 7th Nov 2011
  • 6,022 Views, 611 Comments

My Little Chrono Triggers Are Magic - Pav Feira



Rainbow Dash and her friends travel through time to save their world from apocalyptic destruction.

  • ...
9
 611
 6,022

The Hero Appears

600 AD

Pommel Inn

“Seriously, RD?” said Twilight Sparkle, teasingly rolling her eyes as she stepped inside the inn. “Hungry already?”

After a few hours of trekking across the arid fields of South Zebran, the four ponies arrived in the coastal town of Pommel. While separated from the castle by a fair distance, Pommel played a pivotal role in the health of Sugardia. In Rainbow Dash’s time, Pommel was a hotbed of commerce and naval construction. This earlier era’s Pommel wasn’t nearly as industrialized, yet still it bustled with activity. Thus, it was the ponies’ first destination on the new continent.

“I could go for something,” said Pinkie Pie. “Anypony wanna split some nachos?”

Rainbow Dash playfully bumped into Twilight Sparkle. “We’re not here for food, doofus. We’re here for something more important. How about you trust my leadership skills for once?”

She stuck out her tongue. “I still don’t remember nominating you as leader.”

Fluttershy tilted her head. “So, why are we here then?”

“Because honestly,” Rainbow Dash said, running her hoof through her mane, “I have no clue what’s going on.” She rolled her eyes, trying to ignore Twilight Sparkle’s smirk. “We know there’s a legendary hero, but we don’t know a thing about him. We know he’s looking for this legendary sword, but we don’t know a thing about that. We know that he’s gonna go mess up Nightmare Moon with the sword, but we don’t—well, we know some stuff about her, I guess? We don’t know useful stuff, though. Like, where the heck do we find her? How do we stop her?” She frowned and crossed her hooves. “So, we need somepony to tell us what the hay is happening, right? Well, there’s tons of ponies at the inn. Let’s ask around ‘til we find somepony with the answers.”

Twilight Sparkle’s eyebrows raised in unison. “Oh. Actually, that’s a—”

“Yeah! Head to the tavern and search for rumors, just like a true adventuring party,” Pinkie Pie cheered. She smiled broadly at the pegasus. “Great idea, Rainbow Dash!”

Rainbow Dash smirked. “Thanks, Pinkie. Now let’s see.” She hopped into the air and hovered over the heads of her friends. She quickly glanced over the various patrons of the inn. Her grin widened when she spotted a suitable candidate. Rainbow Dash flew over the heads of the townsponies and landed at the front of the bar. A loud clack rang out as her hooves touched down, sending vibrations through the wood flooring around her.

Next to her, a stallion was resting his head against the counter. He didn’t move a muscle in response to Rainbow Dash’s approach. His cowboy hat was pulled low over his eyes.

“Hey there, handsome,” cooed Rainbow Dash.

“Sorry, ma’am,” he said in a low monotone. “I ain’t rightly in a mood for socializin’.”

“Aww.” Rainbow Dash put on a fake hurt expression. “You won’t buy me a drink?”

“’Fraid I can’t right now. Please, just leave me be.”

“I figured you’d say that,” she chuckled. She reached into her saddlebags and threw a few coins onto the counter. “Yo, barkeep! Two apple ciders for me and my friend here.”

His eyes snapped open. “Cider? Friend?” Braeburn lifted his head and was met with a friendly, confident grin. “Well put me in a basket and call me a bushel! If it isn’t Miss Rainbow Dash!”

“Sup, Braeburn?” said Rainbow Dash. She lifted her hoof to Braeburn, offering him a hoof bump. “Long time no see.”

“You’re a—” His mouth hung open mid-sentence as he carefully studied her hoof. He eventually decided to politely shake it. “You’re a sight for sore eyes, believe me. Things are right terrible now.”

Rainbow Dash grimaced. “Yeah. The whole war and famine business. Sounds pretty rough.”

The bartender trotted over to the pair of ponies, balancing two frothy mugs of cider on his back. With a single deft movement, he swept the bits off the bar and exchanged them for the cider.

“Yeah, that too,” sighed Braeburn. He reached out for his mug and took a long swig. “Anyway, I don’t intend to drag you down with my sob story. What can I do ya for?”

“Hi there, Rainbow’s friend!” Pinkie Pie hopped into view, pushing her way through the crowd. A few of the patrons scowled and complained as she bumped past them. “Nice to meetcha. I’m Pinkie Pie.”

Braeburn politely tipped his hat. “Well howdy, Miss Pinkie. Name’s Braeburn, adventurer extraordinaire.”

She motioned behind her. “These are my other friends, Twilight and Fluttershy. We were actually hoping you could help us. We’re looking for rumors!”

A wide smile crossed Braeburn’s face. The smile instantly reminded Rainbow Dash of the day she first met him. “Rumors? I’m your stallion! I always try to keep one ear to the ground. Best way to stay ahead in the adventurin’ business, y’see. What do ya want to know?”

“Hi, Braeburn,” said Twilight Sparkle as she finally pushed her way through the crowded room. “Do you happen to know—”

“Say,” interrupted Pinkie Pie, “have you heard of the Cutie Mark Crusaders?”

A few of the patrons overheard Pinkie Pie and groaned in unison. Braeburn winced until his eyes were completely shut. “The CMC? Heard of ‘em. Believe me.”

“Those three brats told me they wanted to be merchants,” spat one stallion at the bar. “Offered to help run my store one afternoon, free of charge. Like a foal, I agreed to it. When I closed up shop that evening, I discovered that I was fifty thousand in the hole! After one afternoon!”

A unicorn at the bar snorted. “Last year, they promised to help Miss Cheerilee with replanting trees out in the wastelands.” He shook his head. “Those plains look worse now more than ever.”

A mare wearing a fancy blouse rolled her eyes. “My husband told me that they somehow secured the commission to craft Her Majesty's commemorative bell.”

Braeburn spat out a mouthful of cider, wiping the trickling drops off his chin. “That was them?! Shoot, I heard somepony was workin’ on it, but I never dreamed it would be those three.” He fidgeted with his mug. “The damage?”

She gave him a bland look. “As much as one would expect.”

“Great,” he sighed. “Last I had heard, they was trekkin’ ‘round the Puripony Mountains, plannin’ to become the heroes of legend. I’d hoped that would’ve kept ‘em busy for longer than that.”

“Wait, wait,” moaned Twilight Sparkle. She gently rubbed her hoof against her closed eyelids. “The Cutie Mark Crusaders are the legendary heroes?”

“Nah,” Braeburn said. He nursed his cider. “Every filly and colt in Pommel hears about that legend growin’ up. So, ‘s only natural that most of ‘em get ideas and try to fulfill the legend, at one point or another.” He gave a curious look to another pony at the bar. “Actually, ain’t South Lake’s boy up in the mountains now? Him and his best friend?” The other pony shrugged.

“Maybe that’s who we’re looking for?” Rainbow Dash asked rhetorically. “Somepony was claiming to have some medal. Apparently that’s a big deal?”

“The Hero’s Medal?” Braeburn raised an eyebrow. “Well sure, that’s the first part of the legend. If he found the actual Hero’s Medal, then he’s probably trying to get his hooves on the Lyrabon.”

She blinked. “What?”

Braeburn sipped his cider calmly. “The Lyrabon? The legendary blade? Supposed to be hidden away at the top of the Puripony Mountains, but nopony’s ever found it. Shoot, even the old Bolt Knight Captain, Sir Spike, went a-lookin’ for it, and nopony’s heard from him since.”

“Huh.” Rainbow Dash stared at her mug of cider, as if noticing its arrival for the first time. She chugged the contents and slammed the mug back onto the counter top. “Well, guess we’re headed to the mountains.”

“The mountains?” said Fluttershy. “We’re going to look for the Lyrabon?”

Rainbow Dash gave her a brash smile. “Sure, why not? It’s a sword. I use swords.”

Twilight Sparkle clicked her tongue. “I don’t think that’s such a good idea, Rainbow. I mean—” she paused and looked about the bar before lowering her voice, “—we’re not from around here. I’m not sure we should be messing with legends like that.”

“Are you kidding? That’d be awesome!” cheered Pinkie Pie. “We could be best friends with the legendary hero. How often does a chance like that come up?” She nodded at Rainbow Dash. “I believe in you, Dashie!”

Twilight Sparkle inhaled sharply. “I didn’t mean—”

Braeburn reared up on his hind legs. “Well sure! I’m sure you ladies stand a better chance than most!” His smile slowly evaporated, leaving behind a tight-lipped frown. “Just please, be careful up there, won’t ‘cha? These parts ain’t as safe as they used t’ be. Most of the kiddos run home with their tails between their legs before they even reach the base of the mountain, but the more serious types are bound to run into danger. ‘Specially since Nightmare Moon’s got all sorts of monsters runnin’ amok: ogres, frogs, falcons, roundillos—”

Twilight Sparkle’s eyes lit up. “Wait, did you say frogs?”

“Yes, ma’am. Supposed to be a giant one, big as you or me, living in the woods west of town. Nopony ventures in there, on account of them woods being cursed.”

Rainbow Dash shared a knowing look with her. They nodded in unison. “Sounds like we’re making a detour.”

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

600 AD

Cursed Woods

Fluttershy stepped through the shady forest clearing. Each hoofstep left a deep imprint in the grassy meadow. A soft breeze blew across her cold frame and swirled up into the treetops. She looked up at the canopy, taking in the sounds of rustling leaves and chirping songbirds.

Frog!” bellowed Rainbow Dash, snapping Fluttershy out of her reverie. “You in here, Frog?!

“Oh, come on.” Twilight Sparkle sighed and shook her head. “That’s your plan? Stand in the middle of the forest and shout?”

“Why not?” Rainbow Dash pointed into the thicker sections of the woods. “It’ll take forever to search through here by ourselves. Why not just holler and let her come to us?”

“Because it’s loud?” Fluttershy watched the songbirds fly up through the tree canopy and out of sight.

“Makes sense to me,” said Pinkie Pie. “I mean, we don’t have all day to—” Her sentence was cut short by her teeth chattering, followed by a hiccup. She flipped around, her eyes filled with horror. “Dash! Behind—

Rainbow Dash’s katana was already drawn. She spun on a back hoof, deftly deflecting an incoming rock. The stone harmlessly dropped to the forest floor. Rainbow Dash’s mind had already moved past the rock. Her eyes rapidly twitched across the shrubbery, searching for any signs of movement. A soft snap. Her ears whipped around, locating the source. With a burst of energy, she back-flipped into the air. Hovering on her back, she braced her neck and jaw for impact. From overhead, a heavy broadsword came hurtling down. It crashed against Rainbow Dash’s katana, letting ring the loud twang of steel on steel. The broadsword, which radiated with a soft blue aura, pressed down on her.

“My, my, my. Somepony has been improving.”

The broadsword lifted up. Rainbow Dash flipped herself upright, smirking past the floating weapon. “Likewise.”

Fluttershy whirled around, confronting the creature who emerged from the trees. “S-stop! Don’t hurt my friends. I’m w-warning you!”

Frog’s smile temporarily dropped, as she blinked at Fluttershy. She raised a webbed pad to her mouth. “Oh! No, you have it all wrong, my dear. I promise, I won’t harm a feather on your friend.” Her smile returned as she turned to Rainbow Dash. “It’s just that she and I had promised to hold a bit of a sparring match, and I have been so eagerly awaiting—” Her smile dropped again as she reexamined Fluttershy. “This is quite the sophisticated suit of armor you’re wearing. All those lights, and hinges, and—by the Sun, is that smoke coming out of your ear? Oh wait.” She turned back to Rainbow Dash. “She’s from the future too, isn’t she?”

“Yup, future. More future-y than us, actually.”

Twilight Sparkle groaned.

“Ah yes, that would explain it.” Frog returned her gaze to Fluttershy, lightly running a foot along the robopony’s mane. “It’s quite the statement! It just screams ‘industry’ and ‘progress.’”

“Um, thank you. I think.” Fluttershy’s wings rattled lightly.

“But I digress. Shouldn’t we—Rainbow Dash?” Frog turned back to where Rainbow Dash had once stood, staring instead at a circle of stomped grass. Her unicorn-like horn flared with blue magic, whipping her broadsword behind her, just in time to meet the katana with a loud clash. “Rainbow Dash! How dishonorable! You should never attack a lady from behind whilst she is unprepared.”

“What? You did the same thing to me!” Rainbow Dash lashed forward in a series of blows, blocked each time by the enchanted broadsword.

That was entirely different,” huffed Frog, clutching her chest with a webbed pad. Meanwhile, her sword danced through the air in wide, sweeping arcs. “I was merely getting your attention with that tiny pebble, before beginning the duel properly.”

“Doesn’t sound different to me.” Rainbow Dash leapt to the side, looking for an opening. “Hey! You’re not even paying attention anymore!” she yelled, gritting her teeth.

“But I am, Rainbow, truly.” Frog fidgeted with her gem-studded vest and smoothed the wrinkles out of her cloak, while attacking Rainbow Dash with her levitating weapon. She held her foot up and calmly inspected her pedicure. “I’m simply multitasking, that’s all.”

“Oh yeah? Two can play at that game.” Rainbow Dash took flight, barrelling straight up through the tree canopies.

Frog looked up to the trees, shielding her eyes from the few beams of sunlight that poked their way through the leaves. Her eyes circled around the canopy as she searched for the spot where the airborne pegasus would descend. With a smirk, she whirled her blade above her, easily deflecting the falling katana. The katana landed harmlessly next to her, embedding itself into the ground. Her opponent was nowhere to be seen. “What?” she asked herself aloud.

The bushes behind her exploded. Rainbow Dash tackled Frog at full speed, wrestling her to the ground. Rainbow Dash kicked her opponent repeatedly, in spite of the high-pitched objections. She leapt back to her hooves and tried to dash to her discarded weapon. Before she could reach it, she felt a constriction around her chest. Frog’s tongue lassoed around her and pulled her away from the katana. Rainbow Dash suddenly found herself nose-to-tip with a broadsword.

She fidgeted against her restraints for a moment before giving a gravelly sigh. “Fine,” she pouted, “you win.”

“Doh fee bah, Waybo—” Frog blushed heavily when she realized her tongue was in a particularly unladylike position. She quickly unwound it from Rainbow Dash’s torso and returned it to her mouth. “Don’t feel bad, Rainbow Dash. That was actually quite close. Your diversion was most ingenious.”

“Whatever.” Rainbow Dash crossed her hooves and glared at the treeline. Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie stepped up toward the bristling pegasus and offered her some mild reassurances.

“Oh, just look at this!” moaned Frog. She took off her thick green cloak and floated it in front of herself. “During that whole tussle, I went and got—” she paused for emphasis, “—grass stains on my pèlerine.”

“It’s alright,” said Fluttershy. “Your cloak is already green. You can barely see the stains.”

“No, no, I must take care of this before they set in.” She blinked. “And besides, where are my manners? You come all this way to visit me, and here we are, fighting in the middle of a mucky old forest. My residence is not far from here. We shall catch up on old times over a hot cup of herbal tea. Please, follow me.”

The four travellers fell in step behind their old friend. As they followed behind her, Rainbow Dash got a better look at the frog-unicorn hybrid. She was finally able to see Frog’s cutie mark—or what Rainbow Dash presumed was a cutie mark, given its shape and location—now that she had removed her cloak. It appeared to be a trio of slender, blue diamonds. However, printed against her green, slimy body, the gemstones appeared discolored and wavy. They were distorted.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

600 AD

Frog’s Residence

“Wow!” exclaimed Pinkie Pie. “Nice place you’ve got, Frog! It’s pretty fancy, for an out-of-the-way hole-in-the-ground.”

The entrance to Frog’s home was quite literally a hole in the forest floor, covered by an inconspicuous bush. It was a simple cavern, about eight meters by five, dug out of the soft earth. Once inside, however, one could easily forget that this was a mere pit in the middle of a forest. Cloth drapings hung around the perimeter, partially hiding the soil and tree roots which formed the hollow’s walls. Carpeted rugs covered most of the dirt floor, giving the room a much more homely feel.

“I do try to keep things presentable,” Frog said with a laugh. “I may not get many visitors, but that doesn’t mean I need to wallow in the mud like some vagabond.” She paused, looking hesitantly at a patch of ground-in mud on the carpet. “You’ll have to forgive me, though. I do my best to keep my accommodations chic, but in a location like this, and on a strict budget, well—”

Rainbow Dash shrugged. “Nah, don’t worry about it. So what if it’s a little dirty? I think the whole ‘secret hideout’ thing is pretty cool.”

“Frog, those clothes look so lovely,” said Fluttershy. By Frog’s bed, an equestrian dress form was displaying a yellow, billowing dress. While the garment was simple and unadorned, it seemed to radiate with an inner glow as the overhead lamplight danced across it.

“Why thank you, darling.” Frog nudged Rainbow Dash in front of a full-length mirror that was standing next to the dress form. She grabbed an orange silk scarf off the mannequin and draped it around Rainbow Dash’s neck, staring at her reflection in the mirror. “It’s so nice to have guests with a taste for fashion.”

Rainbow Dash tasted a light hint of bile rising up in the back of her mouth.

“Did you make this?” Fluttershy asked. “I didn’t know you were a clothing designer.”

“Oh.” Frog’s face wavered slightly in the mirror. She pulled the scarf off Rainbow Dash’s neck and returned it to the dress form. “No. I would hardly call myself a designer. This is... just an idle little hobby of mine.” She unsheathed her broadsword and polished it with a nearby cloth, all while floating a kettle off the stove top. “Anyway!” She grinned at Rainbow Dash while pouring a few cups of tea. “You were going to tell me all about your recent adventures. How are things going?”

Rainbow Dash cringed. “Right! Ha ha! Things! Things are, uh, definitely going! Yep! Ain’t that right, guys?” She turned around, looking to her friends for assistance.

“Rainbow.” Pinkie Pie looked down at her hooves as she dragged them lightly across the surface of the carpeting. “I kinda think we should tell her, y’know?”

Twilight Sparkle’s eyes danced about, looking at nothing in particular, as she stewed over the decision. Eventually, her eyelids fell closed. “Yeah. Pinkie’s right. Frog deserves the truth.”

Frog looked from pony to pony. “I don’t understand. Is something wrong?”

“It’s the future,” Fluttershy quietly said from the back of the room.

Twilight Sparkle sighed and stared down at the carpet. “In the year 1999 AD, a horrible monster named Lavos is going to destroy the entire world, killing nearly everypony in the process.”

Frog covered her mouth with a foot. “Everypony? By the Sun...”

“But it’s alright,” Pinkie Pie said, resting a hoof on Frog’s back. “We found out that that evil nasty witch, Nightmare Moon, created Lavos! We’re all gonna put a stop to her.”

Frog blinked. She raised her teacup to her mouth and took a drawn-out sip from it.

“Queen Diane sent us down here to Pommel,” continued Twilight Sparkle. “Unfortunately, she was injured during the recent fighting, but according to her, somepony on this continent has something called the Hero’s Medal. Apparently, he might be the pony who fulfills an ancient legend!”

“That’s not all!” Rainbow Dash bashed her hooves together and grinned at Frog, who continued to sip her tea. “You ever heard of the Lyrabon? It’s apparently this amazing sword that nopony’s been awesome enough to find.” She flicked her head, causing her mane to billow behind her. “Not until I arrived, anyway. I’m gonna find the Lyrabon, strike down Nightmare Moon, stop Lavos, and become the legendary hero! Uh,” she added with a embarrassed chuckle, “with my friends’ help, of course.”

“Frog?” asked Fluttershy.

Frog held her teacup in place. Her eyes had fallen half-closed as Rainbow Dash explained her plan.

“Are you alright?” Fluttershy continued. “This is a lot to take in, so I completely understand if you—”

“Quite alright, dear Fluttershy.” Frog set her teacup down gently on its coaster and gave a wide smile. “I think that’s a terrific plan, Rainbow Dash. You’re truly an unrivaled swordpony. I can think of no other better suited for the task than you.”

Rainbow Dash grinned and blushed.

“Well, except for you. Right, Frog?” Pinkie Pie quickly added. “I mean, you did just beat Dashie in a duel just now.”

Rainbow Dash glared at her at first, then sighed. “Actually, I hate to admit it, but that’s a good point. Why don’t you join us, Frog? We make a pretty good team. You’d be a big help.”

“Oh, I...” Frog blinked once. “No, I couldn’t. Thank you, but I’m afraid that I would simply slow you down.”

Rainbow Dash jerked her head back. “Slow us down? What?”

Frog nodded. “Yes, what with my appearance and all. I still cause a bit of a stir when I visit town, you see.” She chuckled. “No, the four of you could move much faster without me. Besides, you’re more than capable of handling the Puripony Mountains by yourself.” She smiled warmly at Rainbow Dash. “I believe in you.”

“Awesome! Thanks, Frog.” Rainbow Dash tossed her head back, draining her teacup in a single gulp. She stuck her tongue out in response to the bitter aftertaste. “Speaking of which, we oughta get a move on.” She and her friends stood and made their way to the steps leading up and out. “See ya, Frog. I’ll be back later to show off my totally radical sword.”

Frog returned to her dress form. “Of course, my friends,” she said cheerfully. “I’ll be here.” She examined the garment closely. Some of the stitching on the gown had started to come loose. She grabbed a needle and thread to reinforce it.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

600 AD

Puripony Mountains

“Did Frog seem strange to anypony else?” Fluttershy asked.

“Well of course she’s a little strange, Fluttershy.” Pinkie Pie hopped between rocky outcroppings, working her way up the slope of the mountain pass. “I mean, duh, she’s half-frog and half-unicorn. She’s uncommon. Still, she was born that way, so you really shouldn't call attention to it like that.”

“No, that wasn’t what I meant.”

Rainbow Dash flew casually up to the top of the slope and landed next to Pinkie Pie. “I didn’t notice anything wrong. Seemed just like I remember her, really. I mean, if anything,” she huffed, “I’m the one who’s acting strange. Seriously, how did she beat me? I must be coming down with something.”

Pinkie Pie turned to Rainbow Dash and felt her forehead. She gasped, “Woah! Dashie, look behind you.”

“Huh? Oh wow, that’s crazy.”

Twilight Sparkle’s hooves slipped against the rocks. She skidded down the slope a meter. “What?” she said between weighty breaths. “What’s up there?”

Fluttershy slowly floated down from the sky. Her under-wing rockets produced a wisp of dark smoke which floated up into the afternoon sky. She landed next to Twilight Sparkle and laid flat beside her.

Twilight Sparkle climbed aboard, and the robopony took off again. “Thanks, Fluttershy. I really appreciate the lift.” As the pair lifted into the sky, she caught sight of what her friends were looking at. “Huh. Would you look at that.”

Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie stood at the edge of a mountain cliff overlooking Southern Zebran. While the land was still covered by a thick fog, the ponies had climbed high enough to see over it. The high afternoon sun shone down upon the fog and refracted on its water droplets, casting the entire vista in a light chromatic glow.

“It’s lovely,” Fluttershy said as she landed next to Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie.

“You can say that again,” Twilight Sparkle added reverently.

“It’s lovely,” said Pinkie Pie.

Rainbow Dash shook her head clear. “Anyway! We’re not here on a sight-seeing trip.” She stomped a hoof down on the grassy hilltop. “Don’t forget, we’re up here looking for that colt who thinks he’s the legendary hero.”

“You’re looking for the legendary hero?” said a high-pitched voice that was punctuated with pubescent cracks. “Didja hear that? We’re already famous.”

The four friends turned around. The speaker was a pudgy unicorn colt, green coat with auburn mane. His flank sported a pair of scissors.

“You?” scoffed Rainbow Dash. “Don’t tell me that a runt like you is the legendary hero.”

“Nope!” said the pudgy colt. He motioned to his side, where stood another unicorn colt, taller and scrawnier with a snail-shaped cutie mark. The taller colt’s orange chest was emblazoned with a dull golden medal, which hung around his neck with a thick red ribbon. The pudgy colt continued, “Here’s the legendary hero: my best friend, Snails!”

“Huh huh,” laughed Snails. “I’m a legend!”