• Published 1st May 2012
  • 1,851 Views, 18 Comments

Audacity - Sky Kicker

  • ...
2
 18
 1,851

Waking Up

Six ponies searched for hours, the storm pouring down on them. The rain was icy cold against their pelts, and wasn't helping at all. Twilight decided to separate the group, seeing as how larg Sweet Apple Acres actually was. Applejack's once beautiful golden mane was now dark, and flattened over her eyes, muzzle and neck, soaking wet. Her stetson was long gone, the wind had stolen it long ago, but that was one of the last things on her list she could possibly care less about. She needed to find her grandmother and Rainbow, no matter how long it took. Her hooves dragged across the soft wet grassy surface, making there way across a field of nothing but miles and miles of apple trees with each step. She was exhausted. Physically and emotionally. The farm pony's emerald eyes were full of fatigue from walking for so many hours.

Swish

Swoosh

Swish

Swoosh

It was becoming a slow rhythm, repaying itself over and over in her mind as she took each step, along with what had just happened hours ago. She looked up into dull gray skies, the cool icy feeling of the rain sliding down her face and mane. That confounded pegasus was sucking every last inch of life out of her.
Every last inch.

Including her.. Heart.

There was no point in denying it anymore, she would not only be lying to herself, but to Rainbow as well. She was the Element of Honesty, meaning she couldn't lie about her feelings. She always figured it was nothing but infatuation. Nothing but a simple.. Crush. Despite that she would invariably suppress these new-come feelings every time that crude pegasus came around, they still existed. She needed to convince herself that she felt strictly nothing but friendship with Rainbow, otherwise things could take drastic turns. Applejack's family wasn't exactly the 'approving' type of filly-foolers. She was raised to like stallions, and stallions only. Applejack was nowhere near a filly-fooler, In fact, she did like stallions. A lot. She didn't like mares, it was just.. Rainbow. There was just, something about that pegasus.. Something that got to her. Regardless if she was a mare. Applejack just couldn't help it. The more she attempted to drive her feelings away for Rainbow, the further they would deepen. The feeling of helplessness crept back into her chest, but.. In a good way.

"Ah can't believe it.. Ah'm.. in love with that callow arrogant pride-loving idiot of a pegasus." She mentally confessed willfully to herself, for first time. "Oh Nelly.. no no, Ah.. That's not.. Ah can't.."

Jolting her away from her deep train of thought, a path of collapsed trees, along bits and pieces of large branches trailed along in the distance. It looked as if Dash had created a crater when she hit the ground, that trailed some way down the tree lines. Her heart skipped a beat, she was going to finally find them. She galloped as fast as she could down the trail, pushing herself as much as she could to go any faster.

After a good while, her lungs were beginning to burn, screaming for her to stop. She didn't. She wasn't going to. Once she had her mind set to something, there was no changing it.

Until she found them.

She instantly stopped, and just fell on her flank. "Rainbow.." She spoke just above a whisper.

Rainbow had her wings folded around her grandmother. She had some how broken Granny Smith's fall by shifting onto her back before coming in contact with the ground, protecting the old mare from any serious harm. Applejack shook away her astonishment, pulling herself to her forelegs and approaching the two ponies. Applejack analyzed the pegasus' body, her eyes falling to a sorrowful blank stare. Rainbow had been seriously burned trying to rescue them. Her cyan fur along the side of her torso and lower back was now singed black, the tips of her wings and rainbow coloured mane also paying a price. She nearly risked her life to save the old mare, she even went through agonizing pain, just to get her out of that blazing house that was once her fillyhood. The rain was causing the small pool of blood to slowly dissolve into the wet grass.

Applejack knew Granny Smith was gonna be fine just by looking at her. She was breathing fine, just unconscious from being scared nearly half to death. Rainbow saved her. She quickly knelt down beside Rainbow, gently placing a hoof against her cheek and turning her face toward her. She could visibly see Rainbow's chest barely rising and falling, she was still alive. But for how long?

"Rainbow.. Rainbow wake up." She softly whispered to the injured pegasus, brushing her hoof softly against the mare's cheek.

"Yer not gonna leave me. Yer gonna open yer eyes, and yer gonna look at me.. And everything's gonna be okay." Applejack calmly continued to whisper, her emerald eyes filled with hope.

"Ah'll stay here all night with ya if Ah have ta.. Ya understand me?" Her lip quivered lightly, her voice slowly beginning to crack as she gazed down at the broken pegasus.

"Rainbow.. Please. Open yer eyes, look at me." She began pleading, her voice barely audible. She leaned down, nuzzling the mare's bruised muzzle tenderly. Her nose was trickling blood, she must have broken it sometime during the crash. Her lightly singed mane was a tangled mess, and so was her fur. Applejack hated seeing her friend in such a horrid state.

"Y'know, ya've always been a stubborn one." Applejack began, stifling her tears as she continued to nuzzle the pegasus.

"Sometimes, Ah hate it." She admitted aloud, as if she were exchanging a conversation with Rainbow.

"Ya think ya have ta put yer life on the line fer everyone. Ah..Ah know that sounds selfish, but.. Ya tearin' yerself apart. Ya've always been like this. Ya saved our lives taday Rainbow, and Ah should be thankin' ya with ma life, but.. What about you? Look at yerself, Sugarcube.. Ah just.. Ah can't.. Ah need ya, Rainbow Dash. And ya don't understand that because ya too hard headed. Ah hate it." Streams of cold raindrops ran down the sides of Applejacks cheeks and down her mane, her body already adjusted to the cold chill.

"Ya don't know what ya mean ta me Rainbow.. If ya leave me, Ah'll never forgive ya Sugarcube." Applejack struggled to keep her emotions in check, Her eyes sliding closed.

She sighed against the mare's muzzle, gently speaking just above a whisper, "What am Ah gonna do with you?"

Soothing sounds of the rain batted through the leaves of the apple trees and upon the soft green grass, creating a pitter-patter like song.

"Applejack?" The farmer's eyes opened almost immediately, hearing her name being called somewhere along the distance.

"Rarity, over here! I found her, I found her, I found her!" Sang the high pitched voice of Pinkie Pie.

Applejack could see the pink pony bouncing in excitement, "Um.. Where exactly did you 'find' her, dear? Ugh, I think I just stepped in another mud pu-" a now approaching Rarity, who was oblivious of the giant crater-like trail, she looked absolutely drained, and was more worried that she now had mud on her hooves.
Of course.

"Over there, silly!" Pinkie Pie cut Rarity off, clamping her hooves against Rarity's cheeks dramatically, turning her head toward the direction of Applejack.

"Oh dear Celestia, Rainbow Dash!" Rarity instantly snapped out of her whiny exhausted state, she could clearly see Rainbow was in critical condition, and had to be taken to a near by hospital..immediately.


-


Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

The room was vibrantly lit up by the suns golden rays, wanting to soak up every inch of darkness that were held within the far corners of the room. Judging by the view from the large framed window, the sky had seemingly cleared up, not a trace of a gray cloud was in sight. It was.. Strange. Dash's magenta eyes fluttered opened slowly, suddenly flinching at the bright golden rays of the sun. Her vision was temporarily blurry, adjusting itself to the room she had been resting in. Her head was throbbing, as if she had flew head first into an oak tree. Dash blinked a few times, before properly being able to see clearly, her gaze studying the walls and ceiling.

The pegasus relocated her gaze along her arms, which had been bandaged with gauze, along with her torso, stomach and wings, which were held down at her sides. A small IV pricking into her foreleg. Her mind instinctively replayed the recent events that had happened, her pupils shrinking to pinpoints now realizing where she was.

"The hospital? Nonononono.." She began sitting up, only to be taken off guard by a sharp pain in her ribs that traveled through her chest.

"G-gah!" She silently spat, clutching her chest as she fell back against the hospital bed.

The orange mare's ears twitched unconsciously, hearing the soft whimper of a certain tomcoltish voice. Her eyes slowly began to opened tiredly, only to see Rainbow, who was still hugging her chest in pain.

"Rainbow?" She yawned casually. "Wait'a minu-.. Rainbow!?" She shot up instantly from the chair she had dozed off in across the room, now realizing the injured pegasus had finally awaken. She quickly made her way to the side of the hospital bed, placing her forehooves along the edge, picking herself up on hindhooves to get a good glimpse at the now alert, Rainbow Dash.

"Rainbow Dash, y-yer awake!" The farmer's voice had become over joyed with a mixture of shock and happiness, containing herself as much as she could from hugging the mare, considering she was still in critical condition.

"Ya don't..hnng..say?" Rainbow gritted her teeth, small relief beginning to over come her body. Her muscles became relaxed, and she just looked up at the orange mare blankly.

"How are ya? Ah mean.. How do ya feel?" Applejack's voice had began to return to its normal soothing tone, her eyes scanning the pegasus. Her once smooth mane was messy and tangled, and a small white bandage covered the center of her broken nose, making the bruises beneath her eyes even more visible. Another but thicker bandage embracing her forehead contently.

"Do I look like I feel any good to you?" The brash mare snapped with apathy, letting her blank gaze break from the orange pony's green orbs.

The farmer was slightly taken aback, letting her expression drop to what looked like utter confusion. The cyan pegasus simply ignored her, letting her eyes slide closed once again.

"Hello, Rainbow Dash." The voice of a male suddenly filled the room, catching both Applejack and Rainbow's attention.

"Hey Doc." Rainbow greeted casually, opening her eyes and watching the stallion stroll over to her side.

"Back in my hospital again, I see?" Dr. Stable smiled, a clipboard hovering in front of him. "It's nice to finally see you awake, which I was not expecting."

"Eh heh heh.. Yeah." She began, before wincing alittle. "How long was I out for?" The pegasus asked, her face carrying a questionable expression.

"Three days." He paused. "Your friends got you here just in time. You were in even more terrible shape when you arrived." He glanced at Applejack, returning his eyes on his patient, who's mouth was now agape.

"Th-three days?" She blurted out. "I was out for three days?" She began sitting up again out of shock, only to be greeted with a sharp pain returning to her ribs again instantly, "Hnng.."

Applejack quickly placed her hooves upon the injured pegasus' shoulder, gently pushing her back down against the hospital bed, "Rainbow please, yer in no shape ta be gettin' all riled up like that, ya can't afford ta hurt yerself anymore." She stated, her anger wanting to rise at Dash's sudden behavior.

The orange mare nodded at the stallion for his que to continue, Stable clearing is throat before speaking.

"Ahem..as I was saying before, you were brought here just in time. Any later and you would have most likely died of blood loss from multiple blows you received during the incident, Miss Dash. Unfortunately, you have four fractured ribs that will need around six weeks to heal. I suggest you start to rethink your actions, do you understand me?" His voice was assertive and stern, referring to the past 20 seconds ago. Rainbow just laid there, silently nodding in approval. He was slightly taken aback by this, seeing as though she would usually be the first one to argue with him when it came to 'patients', but continued anyways.

"Your fall has cost you a minor concussion, which is the reason why you were here for three days. You were in a coma, and you were suppose to stay in a coma for about a week, but luckily you're.. Awake." He paused, even surprised by this himself. He continued. "Your wings didn't catch too much damage, they'll heal fine within a few days. Pegasus wings contain a strong cartilage that is very hard to break, lucky for you. However, I would prefer you staying off of them for around a week once you're out of here, understood?"

He raised his brow as a gesture for wanting a response, Rainbow opening her mouth to protest, which was then cut off by the disapproving glare of Applejack. The brash pegasus simply sunk into her hospital bed, dragging her words into a frustrated sigh, "Fiiiiiiine."

"Good. And now, as for your burns.." Rainbow nearly forgot about the burns. She quickly lifted the thin sheets, only to see even more thick bandages wrapped firmly around her legs and flank.

"Your Cutie Mark was untouched, no need to put any worry into that. If you're lucky enough, there won't be any additional scarring. Once the bandages are off, nurse Redheart will check for any signs of possible infection." He waited for a response, the pegasus simply nodding again, except this time, a bit more clumsily. Stable could see she needed her rest.

"You're a hero, Miss Rainbow Dash." He began. "And so are your friends. If it weren't for them, you would have died, like I explained before." The stallion ended his sentence bluntly. "Well.. I'll leave you two at piece. Nurse Redheart will be here to check on you soon." Stable smiled, making his was to the exit. Rainbow simply saluted in response.

The door clicked shut, and Rainbow once again sunk into her bed, avoiding the presence of the orange mare that stood beside her. Her magenta eyes gazing into space, as Applejack waited to be acknowledged. Minutes passed, the tension beginning to become awkward, until the farmer decided to break the unwanted silence.

"Are ya just gonna lay there and ignore me like Ah'm some kinda stranger? Or am I gonna have ta force yer attention out by knockin' ya square upside the head?" Applejack asked, alittle annoyed by how the pegasus had been acting, this wasn't like her.

Dash glanced at the the mare's forehooves, letting her eyelids slide closed drowsily. "I'm not ignoring you, AJ."

"Well it sure as hay seems like it. Ya don't have ta tell me whatevers botherin' ya if you really don't want to, and don't ya dare deny it cause Ah can clearly see somethins' wrong, but could ya atleast look at me when Ah talk ta you?" The orange pony questioned frustratingly.

The pegasus eyes opened slowly, her gaze traveling up to Applejack's confused and angry emerald orbs.

"I'm sorry AJ, I'm just tired.. Okay? I had a long day.. Well, three days ago. And I just.. I.. Don't exactly feel up to it, right.. Now. Y'know, talking, and stuff.." She trailed off, stammering over her sentences.
Dammnit.

"Horesapples." Applejack spat, she knew Dash would fight up some excuse.

"What? I said I'm tired. End of story." Rainbow scoffed defensively, pulling the the thin sheets over her head.

"Tired ma flank." The orange mare retorted, yanking the sheets back down, only to be pulled back up by the stubborn pegasus.

"Cut it out, Applejack! Leave me alone!" She squealed angrily, her chest heaving in the pain from her fractured ribs causing her to submit out of her own natural temper.

"Gah!" She choked out a soft stifled plead for relief, Applejack pulling back the sheets, a sympathetic expression casting over her face.

"Ah'm so sorry Sugarcube, Ah didn't mean to-" She was cut off by a hoof clamped to her mouth, signaling her to stop talking.

"It..Its okay, AJ. No need to apologize." Rainbow's voice returning to its natural spunk, a hint of pain lingering before continuing.

"Applejack.." She began, "I'm sorry, for everything." She looked up at Applejack, sincerely gazing into those emerald orbs.

"What on earth would ya possibly have ta be sorry for, Sugarcube?" The farmer had no idea where Rainbow was getting to, but she listened anyways.

"Just, everything. From me acting like a total donkey hide, to.. Well, your house catching on fire from that tree, and.. If I would've taken care of my job the right way, and made sure everything was good-to-go, none of this would've happened. It was my irresponsibleness that nearly put your family's life in jeopardy. Especially yours Applejack. I don't think, no, I couldn't live with that kind of guilt weighing over my shoulders, loosing my bestfriend over something because I didn't..I, uh..I.. Ugh, I hate this sappy stuff." She finished, throwing her arms up. This was getting annoying.

"Sugarcube, ya didn't force a lighting bolt ta strike a tree and fall on our home." She said in a soothing voice, smoothening down Rainbow's tangled mane.

"But I could've prevented that storm, AJ. You know that." Rainbow shot back almost instantly, the feeling of a hoof running through her multicolored mane, temporarily tranquilizing her into a relaxed state. "Eugh, I don't deserve that position." Her voice now growing drowsy at ease.

Her eyes grew heavier as Applejack continued to softly stroke her mane, comforting her the best way she could. "Rainbow, you deserve that position more than anypony else in Equestria. Mistakes happen, Sugarcube. Ya cope with yer mistakes, and ya learn from them. Do ya understand where Ah'm comein' from?"

"Yeah, I do." She began quietly, "Thanks AJ.. Im really glad you're here. It means.. a lot. And if I could, I'd totally hug you right now." The pegasus finished sincerely, giving her signature smile.

"Well Hun.." The orange pony then slid her forearms around Rainbow's aching torso, pressing her muzzle against the crook of the pegasus neck, taking in her scent and whispering audible enough for only the pegasus to hear. "Ya saved Granny Smith's life, along with mine. And if Ah honestly could, Ah'd give everything just ta switch places with ya right now."

The pegasus unraveled her arms around Applejack's neck, tenderly returning the hug, a light flush lingering across her now warm cheeks and broken nose, which was difficult to see through the bruises. The farmer continued nuzzling contently into Rainbow's neck. She loved the feeling of her soft fur.

"Do ya have any idea what ya put me through?"Her words were muffled softly, pulling away to get a glimpse of those magenta eyes. Her forearms still grasping daintily around the mare's chest.

"What do you mean?" The pegasus questioned hoarsely, her voice indicating that she was still exhausted.

"Ya don't have the slightest clue, hmm?" Applejack's expression quickly dropped from comforting to serious.

"I..uh, well..I-" Dash began stammering, Applejack cutting her off.

"Rainbow.. when Ah saw ya fallin' outta that sky with Granny Smith, Ah was scared ta death. Ah was scared that Ah would loose the two most precious things to me, and there was nothin' Ah could do ta stop it. Ah had ta sit there, and watch ya nearly plunge to yer death. Do ya know what that feels like, Rainbow? Do ya have any idea what it feels like ta just.. Helplessly sit there and witness somethin' ya care about so much ta just.." She paused, becoming frustrated, "Ah'm just.. Ah'm sorry Hun. Ya mean a lot ta me.. Ah wish ya get can get that through yer stubborn skull." She finished, before pulling herself against Dash in another gentle hug.

Applejack felt the room suddenly go silent for what seemed like hours. She felt Dash lumberingly tense up as she brought her to another loving embrace. And it wasn't because of the ribs this time. The orange mare slightly pulled back at the sudden reaction, only to see Rainbow's eyes slide shut.

"Don't do this again." She softly pleaded.

"Why?" Was all the cyan pegasus questioned, her eyes slowly opening to see the earth pony's considerate gaze.

"Cause Ah'm not gonna just sit here an-"

"No, I mean.. Why do you.. care about me so much?" The cyan pegasus questioned eagerly.

"Because Sugarcube, yer ma friend. Now give me one reason why Ah wouldn't care about you?" Applejack stated as frankly as she could. For the most part, that statement was true. But she was also inlove with the cyan mare, which of course the farmer ceased to admit.

"I was just curious." The cyan mare shifted alittle, concidering she had been laying in the same position since she woke up. She winced slightly as she attempted to reposition herself.

"I know you care about me, AJ." Rainbow smiled cheekily at the orange work pony.

"Ya should know, Hun." Applejack returned the smile, placing a hoof softly against Rainbow's throbbing torso.

"Mmmh. Yer in pain right now, aren't ya?" The orange mare questioned gingerly.

"Well..I..it, um.. Not, not really." The pegasus faltered nervously over Applejack's touch. A gentle brush shading over her bruised cheeks.

"It's okay, Sug'. Y'all can swallow some of that pride fer once n' tell me the truth." Applejack reassured to the mare, winking playfully.

"Ugh, I..I mean, If you wanna get technical, it only hurts when I uh, breath, and stuff.. Other then that.. Nah." Rainbow lied.
It hurts like trees.

Applejack eyed the pegasus skeptically, sliding her hoof down to the area right above her rib cage. The pegasus wincing by instinct, thinking that Applejack would apply pressure to test her.

"Yer lyin' ta me." The orange mare's expression dropped.

Ponyfeathers.

"Alright, ya caught me. So I'm in a tinsy bit of pain, I'm alive aren't I...?" Sneered the cyan pegasus as she trailed off.

"Yer right, you are alive." The orange mare paused, "And Ah couldn't be more thankful. It's just Ah hate seein' ya like this. Ah know ya'd rather be soarin' through them blue skies right now.'" The orange mare trailed off from Rainbow's eyes for the first time.

"Hey.. Hey, C'mon, AJ. Its not like this is my first trip to the hospital. I'm a strong pony, you out of everypony else in Equestria should know that by now." The pegasus nudged the work pony, attempting to cheer her up.

"Well, Ah can't disagree with that." Applejack smiled to herself, returning her gaze back to those magenta eyes yet again. That cheeky grin arising across her face that she adored ever so much.

"Heh, that's the spirit." Her grin began to drop to her exhausted expression, "So uh, how's Granny Smith? Ya haven't mentioned her since I woke up."

"She's doin' mighty well. She wanted ta make y'all an apple pie as a thank you fer savin' her life." Applejack smiled.

Rainbow chuckled halfheartedly at the thought of the crazy old mare, it was more than just a good-feeling that Granny Smith was totally un-harmed.

"And.. Your house?" She hesitantly asked, hoping she didn't just bring up something that would down the conversation. After all, that house was all Applejack knew as a filly.

"Well.." She began, "There was some obvious damage, but the flames were eventually put out by the rain, thank Celestia. Ah just hope we'll be able ta repair it." The work pony frowned a little at the thought, which Rainbow caught.

"I'm gonna help y-" Rainbow began to speak, which was quickly cut off by the disapproving voice of Applejack.

"And don't ya dare offer ta help, yer in serious condition and ya need ta recover. Y'all heard that doctor."

"But Applej-" The pegasus protested.

"No." Applejack responded flatly.

"I can-" Rainbow attempted to protest again.

"No." The orange mare responded bluntly again.

"If you just-" Rainbow was obviously become agitated by now.

"Ah said, no." Applejack lowered her brow sternly.

The pegasus crossed her forelegs angrily, "Fine." She frustratingly huffed, causing her to loose her breath to the claws of pain once again.

"Ouch.." She gritted her teeth, Applejack brushing her hoof softly above the pegasus rib cage again.

"Rainbow, Ah'm sorry but ya have four fractured ribs, a concussion, a broken nose, and yer wings are still recovering. Y'all are out of yer pony mind if ya think Ah'm gonna allow that. Ya can't even sit up without being in pain, Rainbow. Ah'm sure Doctor Stable, along with the others would be more than kind ta agree with me." Applejack finished, daintily continuing to stroke Dash's inflamed chest.

"But Applejack, where are you suppose to stay in the meantime? I can't just sit back and do nothing-" She eagerly questioned, only to be spoken over again.

"Y'all don't have a choice, and thats not fer you ta worry about, Sugarcube. Ah'm sure Big Mac and Ah could figure somethin' out. As of now, y'all need some rest. Y'all look as if yer worn out from a hard day's work." The farmer smiled, hoping this would calm her down.

"..Alright." Rainbow sighed, then relaxed herself into the hospital bed, willfully letting the drowsiness begin to take over her injured body. Her eyes lingered along the ceiling and walls for a short while, and Applejack just sat there, staring in a daze contently at the one she loved. Her heart inwardly skipped a beat just at the sight of her, she was just.. Beautiful. Regardless if she looked terrible, she completely struck Applejack's heart to the core. Her chest was immediately filled with pain of her own. She wanted to let Rainbow know how she felt, but at the same time, she didn't. It scared her that not only she was in love with a mare, but also with her bestfriend. She just wanted to abandon these stupid feelings, she didn't want them. She didn't want to be in love with Dash, although it felt so right. She was beginning to think more and more into this.. It wasn't helping. It definitely was distracting her from everything else she should have been worrying about, until she decided to just ignore it all together, leaving herself unanswered to so many questions.

"Applejack?" Rainbow asked suspiciously, seeing as though she noticed Applejack had been staring at her for the last few minutes.

"Huh-?" The farmer asked in a confused manner.

"Is there.. Uh, something you'd like to say by any chance?" Rainbow lifted a brow at the orange pony.

"Uh.." The farmer cleared her throat, knowing she couldn't lie. "Ah, um.. It can wait, Hun. It's nothing important. You go ahead and get yer rest now, Sug'." That could've gone better.

"Are you sure?" The pegasus had a hint of concern within her voice, which was.. New.

"Ah'm sure." Applejack reassuringly nuzzled into the pegasus cheek for a brief second, before pulling away.

"Heh, alrighty." Responded the cyan mare, returning the soft nuzzle.

Rainbow wasn't exactly the 'affectionate' type.. Atleast it didn't seem like it, until now. Which caused a hint trace of blush to lightly dust Applejack's cheeks. This was a side of the daredevil that anypony rarely saw, which only got to Applejack that much more. The one she secretly withheld feelings for was unusually returning all of her affections.

"Dashiiiiiiiiiie!"

Both Rainbow and Applejack's eyes darted toward the door only to find a pink pony bouncing into the room. Pinkie Pie shot up in mid air, as if she were about to rugby tackle Rainbow straight through her medical bed. Wait.. That's exactly was she was about to do.

"Awh nuts.." The cyan pegasus eyes shrunk to pinpoints at the dangerously approaching Pinkie Pie, clamping shut like a scared puppy as she waited for the impact to smash into her.

"PINKIE!" Came the agitated voice of Twilight, who pasted into the room seconds after the pink pony.

Pinkie Pie was suddenly illuminated by a purple glow that wavily outlined her tackle formation, her body freezing seconds before she deliberately clashed into the injured mare. Rainbow's eyes skittishly opened to a pink pony hovering above her that looked a if she wanted to explode into an outburst.

"You're awake! Twilight, she's awake! Oh my gosh Dashie! We were sooooo worried about you! You were sleeping foreverrr, Doctor Stable said you were in a coma but aren't comas suppose to last for like a few hours? But it doesn't matter because you're awake! And, an-"

"She's excited." Twilight interrupted flatly, before levitating the party mare beside Applejack.

"Yeah, uh huh." Rainbow briefly glared at the jittery pony next to Applejack before returning her eyes to Twilight, who was strolling up to the other side of the hospital bed.

The unicorn examined the terrible looking pegasus, noticing the awful bruises that smeared transversely along her bandaged muzzle and below her eyes as drew closer. Her multicolored mane was knotted, and she looked as if she hadn't slept in days.

"So, how are you feeling? Doctor Stable had informed each of us about your injuries, including your coma. Apparently you weren't suppose to be waking up until sometime next week." Twilight's voice was brimming with concern.

"Yeah, well. I'm just that awesome." Rainbow grinned haughtily, bringing her forearms behind her head in a proud manner.
Typical.

"Rainbow, I'm being serious." The unicorn sighed, peering candidly at Dash. "We've all been worried sick about you. The least you can do is be a little more perceptive."

"Alright Egghead, sheesh.. I'll be more.. Uh.. What's the word?" The pegasus tapped her forehead lightly.

"Perceptive." Twilight responded bluntly.

"Yeah, whatever that means." Dash simply shrugged it off, seeing as though she was already beginning to get under the unicorn's skin.

"Uh huh." Twilight rolled her eyes, before continuing. "Anyways, I-"

"What in Celestia's sake happened to your nose!?" Pinkie Pie blurted out, as she poked the small bandage along Dash's muzzle.

"It's broken." Dash covered her nose defensively, putting obvious emphasis on 'broken'.

"Ohhhhhh.. Does it hurt?" The pink pony questioned curiously, only upsetting the annoyed pegasus even more.

"No Pinkie, it feels like butterflies and rainbows!" The cyan mare scoffed, trying her best not to shout, otherwise she'd be in pain.

Pinkie Pie snorted, "Silly! That doesn't even make sense. Or.. Does it? If you can, I didn't even know that was possible! What's it like t-"

"Pinkie!" Exclaimed Twilight, she was becoming more and more impatient by the second, along with Rainbow, which was.. Obvious.

"What? I was just curious.." The party pony trailed off, becoming quiet.

"It's okay Pinkie.. Just, why don't you go, I don't know.. sit in that chair over there." The unicorn suggested, offering a forced smile.

"Okey dokey lokey!" The cheerful mare bounced happily across the room, jumping into the chair.

"Whew." Twilight huffed, returning her attention back to Dash.

"Anyways.." She began, "I just wanted to say, what you did was entirely brave of you Rainbow. Most ponies wouldn't of went within ten feet of a burning house to save somepony else from a terrible fate." The unicorn paused, giving a warm sincere smile. "You truly are the Element of Loyalty."

"Heh, c'mon Twilight. It wasn't anything special, just s-"

"It was special ta all of us.. Especially me." Applejack interjected, bringing Rainbow's attention to her.

The work pony smiled wholeheartedly at the pegasus. Dash's eyes instantly locked with Applejack's, causing a jolt of butterflies to shoot blissfully throughout her body. The orange pony stifled a blush, not wanting to give herself away so easily. On the other hand, Dash gingerly returned the smile, which made it that much more harder.

"Awwwwwh, tender moment!" Pinkie Pie squealed from across the room.

Rainbow instantly broke the gaze, returning to her usual, egotistical self.

"Tender moments are for saps. I for one, am not a sap. Everypony knows that." The pegasus sneered, bringing herself to a drowsy yawn. "Anyways, I think I'm gonna nap for awhile.."

Applejack mentally became annoyed at Rainbow's sudden vain reaction. She simply rolled her emerald eyes, ignoring it all together.

"Of course. Get all the rest you need, we'll be back to check on you tomorrow." Twilight smiled, as she began to walk to the door. Dash only waved as a response.

"Ooooh, ooh, Dashie, I'm deffinietly gonna bake you a super-duper-amazing cake! Whats your favorite flavor again? The last time you told me I think y-"

"Come on, Pinkie." The unicorn giggled at Pinkie's random outburst, awaiting for her at the door.

By this time, Dash was able to finally let herself rest peacefully without any sudden eruptions or things like that. Her facial features began relaxing themselves along with her muscles, signifying she attempting to drift to sleep. Twilight and Pinkie Pie had already lead themselves out of the door, leaving only Applejack and Rainbow alone in the room once again. The orange mare watched in silence as Dash's chest slowly arose and sunk in peacefully. With that, Applejack began trotting to the door, only to be stopped by a familiar tomcoltish voice, that was only slightly audible from where the farmer was standing.

"Later Applejack."

The farmer peered over her shoulder slowly, Dash's eyes were still closed as if she had already been asleep. Applejack's heart inwardly smiled at the pegasus, her chest was fluttering with butterflies. It was as if Rainbow had a hidden soft spot for her, that nopony else knew about, not even herself. She didn't know if she was reading to far into this or not, but it definitely was adorable.

"Sleep well, Sugarcube." Applejack responded lightly, before opening the door, letting it click shut behind her.

Comments ( 14 )

... No offense, but... If you can't even spell the title of the fic properly, then I'm not sure what would make me want to read the actual story... It's like you didn't care or something. I'll give it a go later, if you take the time to cahnge the title to 'Audacity', like it's supposed to be. (I assume, since 'Audicity' isn't a word.)

Forgive me for misspelling the title wrong. I was in a rush and didn't notice, thanks for pointing that out. However if you do decide to read it, I hope ya like it, regardless if the title was misspelled.

I like the story so far. I've noticed a couple spelling errors but nothing too bad. I gotta say, the whole Dashie getting hurt and falling in love theme is way overdone, but I do enjoy this so far.
Looking forward to new chapters :ajsmug:

Good story so far, I don't see why everyone is commenting about spelling, it happens to the best of us.

More? I quite like the story so far. I've become a bit of a shipping addict lately. Mainly Fluttershy and Big Mac. But I like this one, and I'd like to see more.:eeyup:

Hmm, seems okay. I'll track it and see where it goes. That being said, dear Celestia has this story been done to death. Is there any sort of injury that Rainbow hasn't been forced to endure to put her in a hospital bed so that Applejack can care for her? And there were many spelling errors in this story which became very distracting--such as using "witch" instead of "which."

This storyline has been done many many times and this story specifically has quite a few incorrect spellings and sentences that don't actually make sense.

That said, I'l still track it anyway, and see where it goes.

MOAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pinkiecrazy:
I NEEDS MOAR!

WHY? But WHY? WHY Rainbow Dash ALWAYS gets hurt? WHY? WHAT DID SHE DO to DESERVE THAT!? :raritycry:

so whens the next chapter gonna be?

538605 I'm kinda struggling with it but it'll be posted soon!

good stuff man. cant wait for more

... Will this ever be updated?

Login or register to comment