• Published 26th Dec 2014
  • 2,609 Views, 1,265 Comments

The Nineteenth Century: The Saga of Equestria - mint20



It is 1806. The Corps of Discovery is currently holed up in Fort Clatsop, but their presence in Griffon territory does not go unnoticed. In Equestria, the Princesses sit on their thrones, unaware that the ideas of the West may just force them off.

  • ...
9
 1,265
 2,609

A Grand Tour, Part II

A Grand Tour, Part II

The Nineteenth Century: The Saga of Equestria

August 30, 1839
México City, México

The pink and white banner of Equestria fluttered in the breeze as Princess Twilight lead a procession of ponies down the streets of México City. The negotiations had been long, drawn out, and on more than one occasion, hurt more than pulling teeth, but after several public meetings, debates, votes, private meetings, and personal assurances, she finally had what she had come for - an agreement.

“Presenting: The Treaty of Friendship and Mutual Defense,” proclaimed President Bustamante, gesturing to an ornate table laid out, separating him from the pony princess. After waiting for Twilight to ascend to his level - as he was up a small flight of stairs - the President and Princess executed a well-rehearsed hand/hoof shake.

Still a little awkward, Twilight thought, desperately hoping her smile was not a grimace.

Bustamante sat on a plain, slightly plush red chair. Twilight sat down across him on a similarly simple, but plush red cushion. She never really liked chairs to begin with.

She looked down on the table. In front of her laid two copies of the Treaty.

The Treaty of Friendship and Harmony

Spanish Name: Tratado de Amistad y Defensa Mutua

The Government of the Centralist Republic of México and the Royal Council of the Principality of Equestria, knowledgeable of potential threats presented to them, and with an eye to the past history of cooperation between the Governments and injustices shared, have come to together to create this firm Treaty of Friendship.

Article I: It is hereby announced to the world that the two governments enter a firm agreement of friendship and understanding.

Article II: The Centralist Republic of México and the Principality of Equestria hereby agree to come to each other’s defense upon the call of the leadership of one of the nations.

Article III: Both governments pledge to never enable an act of aggression on the other, and further pledge to share all intelligence they acquire that pertains to the defense of the other.

Article IV: This Treaty shall, after being signed by the representatives of both nations, shall be sent to both governments for ratification. This shall occur within two years of the initial signing.


Twilight smiled again as she reached out with her magic and grabbed hold of a quill laying next to the Equestrian copy of the Treaty. After she dipped it in the ink, she signed it with as much flourish as she could muster.

Looking up, she saw the President finish signing the Spanish copy of the Treaty. The two then swapped their copies.

Spanish… was all Twilight was able to think as she looked over the paper in front of her. Despite having been in México City for over a month and a half, she had picked up only a couple words. Mostly pleasantries. Unfortunately, the tense negotiations had occupied most of her focus, though she did think it may help to learn it...

Identifying the place she had to sign, Twilight dipped her quill back into the ink, and signed again.

Looking up, she saw the President had already finished. They traded copies of the Treaty again, and Twilight slowly folded her Equestrian copy into near perfect thirds, then put it into an envelope that had a light pink and midnight blue ribbon on the left hoof side. The envelope had, in lieu of an address, a message written on it:

Deliver to The Royal Council

Official State Business

Opening this message without authorization is a crime under Equestrian law.

She sealed the envelope with a small wax State Seal. The new design, introduced during Equestria’s westernization, consisted of a simple image of a sun that had a crescent moon eclipsing the right part of the sun. It was the same as the device on the pink and white Equestrian flag.

“Your Excellency, I will present this Treaty to the Royal Council at my earliest opportunity,” Twilight said.

“Thank you, Your Serene Majesty.”


September 1, 1839
Canterlot, Equestria

Now, every Princess of Equestria had a personal office. This office often said a lot about the Princess that resided in it. Princess Celestia’s office, for example, had a window that offered a great view of the dawn sun. Sometimes, she would simply stop whatever she was doing just to watch the rising sun. Not often, but occasionally.

Contrast with Princess Twilight. Twilight’s office also had a window - not that anypony walking into the office would know that. Now, her office window offered a majestic view of Canterlot - especially in the evening, when the sun turned the white marble into beautiful shades red. However...Twilight, always the single-minded scholar, had placed a simply massive dark brown colored bookshelf in front of it. When the other Princesses saw that, they rolled their eyes and thought, Well, that’s Twilight for you. What can you do?

As for Princess Luna’s office, well, it fit quite well for her. There were no wall windows in her office. Instead, she had what one may have called a moonroof, perfect for enjoying the night tapestry.

Aside from window, the Princess had opted for a darker color scheme, as one may have expected. Navy and dark blues were dominate, though there were hints of bright pink every here and there. The furniture, most notably a large, solid oak desk, was also dark, almost black.

Sometimes it is way too hard to see in here, thought the Princess in question.

She lit another candle on her desk with her magic, bringing the count to five. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she squinted at the paper in front of her.

3 A.M? I remember when I was completely nocturnal...but how things have changed…

Now no Princess is nocturnal, because they hardly ever slept!

The paper in question was a finalized list of ponies being brought in the new Equestrian Special Air Operations Division, along with a budget estimate.

Seven hundred thousand bits, huh? thought Luna, holding her head in her hooves. More money requests…

After a second of thought, she stamped the page with the State Seal. Unlike the seal that Twilight had used, Luna’s version was an ink seal, and at least two times larger. Twilight’s was designed to seal envelopes, Luna’s was designed to indicate government approval.

Moving to the next document, Luna saw an update to the status of the Equestrian Navy. Back in 1836, the Council had ordered the construction of four ships in the style of the ERV Equestria - a style that had come to be known as Harmony-class cruisers.

Equestria had ditched the name of “man-o-war,” as it was too...aggressive for them.

Not that there was any actual difference between the world’s man-o-wars and Equestria’s cruisers.

Good to see that the last three cruisers finished, thought Luna. Celestia had one, the ERV Friendship rushed so she could take it to Europe. Can’t have a Princess in a transport ship!

But we can’t just have cruisers. They’re powerful, but slow and need cover against faster craft.
Equestria had already built a couple smaller ships, with lower water displacement and higher speeds. They referred to them as “escorts.”

We’ll need to cover the cruisers with more escorts to protect them and screen out fast opponents.

Luna tapped her snout, thinking more: I can’t just order the shipyards to start building, that requires approval of the Council. However, I can order the government to start stockpiling of the relevant resources. Even if the Royal Council does not see my way, there is nearly unlimited uses for wood, rope, tar, and the other materials. We can use them for something else, if it comes to that. And if they adopt my idea, it will save us a lot of time if we already have the materials on hoof.
Nodding to herself, Luna pulled out a General Material Acquisition Order, along with a Budget Authorization Form, from a drawer in her desk and started filling it out.

Lots of paperwork…
The burden of leadership never ends, she snickered to herself.

Suddenly, a flame appeared just off to her left.

She blinked a couple times, her eyes burning for a second as they tried to adjust to the abrupt change in the light.

Dragon-fire message.

Reaching out with her magic, she grabbed hold of the scroll that had appeared.

Breaking the seal, she unrolled it and read the brief message:

Your Serene Majesty,

We need you in the Township of Salt Lick City, on the American border, as soon as possible.

Provincial Magistrate of Salt Lick City

“Guard!” she called.

The door opened, as the Guardpony assigned to her for the night entered the room.

“Your Serene Majesty? How may I help you?”

“I’m heading to Salt Lick City. Since the other Princesses aren’t here, I need you to scramble the Pegasi escort. I want them ready to go in half an hour.”

“Yes, Your Majesty!” replied the Guard, snapping a salute.

“Very well then, thank you,” said Luna, putting away the form for now and standing up.