• Published 26th Dec 2014
  • 2,601 Views, 1,265 Comments

The Nineteenth Century: The Saga of Equestria - mint20



It is 1806. The Corps of Discovery is currently holed up in Fort Clatsop, but their presence in Griffon territory does not go unnoticed. In Equestria, the Princesses sit on their thrones, unaware that the ideas of the West may just force them off.

  • ...
9
 1,265
 2,601

Westernization, Part I

Westernization, Part I
The Nineteenth Century: The Saga of Equestria

July 12, 1817
British Embassy to Equestria

“You wish to modernize? Join us on the world stage?” asked Liston, raising his eyebrows.

“Yes. We cannot allow ourselves to be pushed around by the Americans any more. This must end, and we must be the ones to end it.”

“So you foresee conflict coming between the Americans and yourselves?”

Celestia hesitated before saying, “There is a very real chance of that coming to pass.” She was silent for a moment before continuing, “What steps would you recommend that I take?”

“Well, adopting western ways will prove to be a task where you will need to exercise the control and authority necessary in order to force reforms through an unconvinced population. You hold absolute power, as far as I can tell, so it shouldn’t be too difficult to do that.”

“But there are the townships,” Celestia said. “They could prove to be a problem.”

“Perhaps,” agreed the man. “Maybe you could do something to reign in their power. Centralize the government, perhaps.”

“Interesting…” After a moment, Celestia shook her head slightly in an attempt to clear it - meeting with little success - and decided to change the subject. “I have seen that you intend to hold a diplomatic class today.”

“Yes, I do,” he replied. “Your students are fast learners, if somewhat naive. It has been difficult impressing upon them the fact that countries both can and will declare war against this country.”

Celestia sighed. “Well, please continue. Feel free to hammer the point home as much as is necessary. That will be something they need to learn.”

Changing the subject again, Celestia ruffled her wings slightly and wondered out loud: “I wonder how the expedition to America is doing...”


More or less June 3, 1817
[LOCATION UNKNOWN]

“Why don’t you just confess that you have no idea where you are going?” asked Silver Compass wearily. “It’s clear to anypony with half a brain that you have no sense of direction.”

“Be silent,” replied the human, tiredly. “I am not lost.”

As if to prove his point, as they topped the hill, both humans and ponies could see a small village off in the horizon.

“Told you.”


As they approached the village, the human kept squinting at a flag that a center-ish building flew.

“Shit,” he muttered, as it came into view.

“What?” asked Silver Compass, squinting at the flag himself. It flew a standard of with a red border surronding a checkboard of blue and white, with some kind of device in the center.

“That’s the flag of the Mexican revolutionaries,” replied the man. “They speak a different language than us. I know a little of it, thanks to some training before we set out.”

“Well, then, let’s go meet them!”

“I am not sure that’s a good idea...we were ordered to go directly to the United States, after all.”

Silver Compass tossed his head, saying, “I was put in charge of this expedition, not you. And before we departed, Princess Celestia gave me orders to seize the opportunity to explore new nations and new peoples. As a result, I am altering the mission.”


A half hour later…

As the expedition approached the Mexican town, the human got more and more antsy.

“What is wrong?” asked Compass, one part concerned, two parts annoyed.

“These Mexicans are fighting the Spanish for their independence,” came the brittle reply. “I don’t exactly want to get caught in a crossfire between them.”

That gave the ponies pause for a brief moment, but did not stop the expedition. “Well, I haven’t heard any gunfire,” replied Compass, not that he was much of an expert on what guns sounded like. Quite the opposite, in fact.

As they entered the town, the human relaxed somewhat, but remained more than careful.

Silver Compass saw a flurry of activity, and heard whispered mutterings.

¡Un gringo! Y, ¿unos caballos?

Slowly, a man approached them. He walked carefully, as if he might scare away their unexpected visitors.

“¡Holá!” called the American settler.

“Holá,” came the reply, still warily.

“¿Hablas inglés?”

The man made a face, but made the language shift and said, “Yes, a little.” He waited for a moment, then, in halting English/Equestrian, said, “That...interesting horse, sir,” obviously referencing Silver Compass.

“Not a horse. Pony,” said Compass, grinning slightly at the reaction that provoked.

“¡Ahh, Dois mío!” the human exclaimed, jumping backwards. After a brief moment, he made a rapid, curious symbol. He used his left hand to touch his head, chest, left shoulder, and right shoulder, in that order. He also whispered “Doís, ten piedad.”

After that interesting sight, the man managed to compose himself, and said, “Perdónme...My apologies. You startled me.”

“My kind tends to have that effect on humans,” remarked the pony dryly. After a moment, he continued, asking, “Now, my guide here said that you are the Mexican revolutionaries. What are you revolting against?”

“That advenedizo who seized the Spanish throne, installed by those French dogs!” exclaimed the revolutionary. “And then, when the French were driven out, and the King restored, he behaved as un loco! We had no choice!”

“No, the Viceroyalty of New Spain can no longer exist as Nueva España. We must be independent!”


September 1, 1817
The Grand Equestria Pony Summit
Canterlot, Equestria

Many ponies from all over Equestria gather to take part in the Grand Summit. Each of the individual townships send their own delegation, with the number of ponies more or less proportional to the population of the township. Each delegation was led by the head of the township, be that a mayor, sheriff, or magistrate. And here, in a twice-yearly format, they would debate, argue, and sometimes (very rarely) even fight over which direction to take Equestria. The longest summit on record had lasted a whopping two years, due to the fact that Celestia did not adjourn it until all business was completed.

That was a rather extreme example; the summit usually only took a month or so to complete. And since the Princesses took turns presiding over it, they were able to retain their sanity in one form or another.

As the Princesses of Equestria stepped forward, a hush fell over the delegations. In the past summits, the Princesses had made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that discusses about the humans were strictly off the table. This time, however, no such prohibition had been mentioned before the summit was called.

“Welcome to the Grand Equestrian Pony Summit,” said Luna, with less enthusiasm than she normally had for the occasion.

“You delegates have traveled far to represent your towns,” said Celestia. She hesitated, took a deep breath, and continued: “But, unfortunately, that is no longer necessary.”

A ripple of unease passed through the delegates below.

“As you know, we have come in closer and closer contact with the species known as humans. They represent a clear and direct threat to the independence of this nation, and to ponykind everywhere.”

“As a result, we, the Princesses of Equestria, have decided there is but one way to retain our independence: We must learn to play the humans' game, and adopt the ideas of the West. And the path to doing so is clear.” Here, Celestia paused for dramatic effect, then spread her wings and proclaimed, with all her royal authority:

“As of this moment, the townships within the Principality of Equestria are abolished. The office of mayor is defunct. The Grand Equestria Pony Summit is abolished. From this moment onwards, local government shall be administered by a royal magistrate, appointed by the Royal Council, and subject to reappointment at any time for any reason, or no reason at all. Such is the decree of the Royal Council.”

With that, the Princesses walked back into Canterlot Castle, leaving the ponies outside in a state of shock.

Author's Note:

1) All languages that are not English were fed through Google Translate. Don't hate me...:fluttershysad:
2) I'm sorry if I way oversimplified the Mexican War of Independence. I couldn't find any good really great reasons why it happened, so...yeah.
3) If you haven't already, be sure to VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Polls close September 20th, 2015