• Published 26th Dec 2014
  • 2,609 Views, 1,265 Comments

The Nineteenth Century: The Saga of Equestria - mint20



It is 1806. The Corps of Discovery is currently holed up in Fort Clatsop, but their presence in Griffon territory does not go unnoticed. In Equestria, the Princesses sit on their thrones, unaware that the ideas of the West may just force them off.

  • ...
9
 1,265
 2,609

So It Begins...

So It Begins…
The Nineteenth Century: The Saga of Equestria

At long last…January 1, 1836
Canterlot, Equestria

“Happy New Year, everypony!” exclaimed Twilight, as she entered the chambers of the Royal Council.

“Indeed,” said Celestia. “A new year is upon us.”

“And we are done westernizing!” exclaimed Cadance.

“Yes, we are. But we shouldn’t get ahead of ourselves,” cautioned Celestia. “We still cannot afford to mess up. Now, at least we will be able to prick the United States in a war before it crushes us.”

That lovely line stalled conversation for a moment.

“Anyways, the ERV Equestria has been completed, as I am sure you all have seen,” Celestia went on, bridging the awkward silence. “We should build more ships like it. My calculations state that we can afford and support an additional four ships like it in our fleet.”

“Then let’s build them!” said Luna.

The other two Princesses nodded.

“Very well, we shall build them. I will authorize the purchase of the need supplies immediately.”

“What about the budget? Can we afford to?” interjected Cadance.

“Yes. As everypony knows, we have completed the westernization process. That really helps balance our budget, we have gone from bleeding money to a small surplus. ”

“If we have a surplus, we should raise spending across the board,” said Luna. “More in education, more in the military, more in administration.”

“That amount of spending would probably put us back into a deficit.”

“We could install a tariff,” said Twilight. “Think about it: we have practically never imported items for consumers. The ponies wouldn’t even realize that the goods are being taxed, as they would have no frame of reference to compare against.”

“I think such a policy would also be popular in the Assembly,” said Luna. “Controlled as it is by the Moderates, they would not raise a fit.”

“On the topic of the Assembly,” said Celestia, “they keep refusing to allow the government to build factories without raising Tartarus. I believe that we should...ah, realign the Assembly to a position that is more suited to us, taking advantage of the special delegate seats to appoint anypony we want.”

“Wait, why are they attempting to nullify a decree of the Council?”

“Not nullify, per se. Rather, the Chamber of Deputies, who, as you know, are responsible to oversee this kind of thing, conveniently ‘forgets’ to do such things. And if they do it, they almost always get ‘tied down’ in procedures that aren’t actually necessary. The Moderates are just obstructive towards building factories; they get in the way while technically not getting in the way.”

“Who should we empower, then?”

“Definitely not the pro-business faction, as they want us to get out of business altogether.”

“Then we reshuffle the Assembly to favor the coalition of the Reactionaries,” decided Celestia.

“Can somepony explain to me how we outlawed political parties, but still ended up with three de facto political parties?” asked Twilight.

Celestia sighed. “I probably should have known that we won’t be able to just eliminate them. In their place, these informal political ‘coalitions’ have formed. I don’t think we should clamp down on them. Let us look the other way, for now.”

“I agree, but I have another concern,” said Luna. “I am surprised by you, Celestia. You banned political parties without seeking the permission of the Council. Such an action should have required a vote amongst the Princesses.”

Celestia blinked. “I did what I thought was best for Equestria.”

“I believe you. However, we are a team. Everypony on this Council is equal to each other. No one of us is more important than the others, and we work together to serve Equestria. No hard feelings, I just hope in the future, you will seek the consent of the rest of the Council before making such a bold motion.”

Celestia dipped her head slightly.

“Excellent,” said Luna. “Now, we have something else to discuss: foreign nations.

“Let us start with the most obvious: Griffonia. I trust you all heard of the rebellion?”

Celestia and Cadance both nodded, muttering words of sympathy. Twilight, however, said “I have been very busy with the Royal Ministry. Rebellion in Griffonia?”

“Yes. Apparently, the more reactionary nobles of Griffonia banded together and forced King Odrynn to the negotiating table over their westernization process. Unlike Equestria, nobles in Griffonia are allowed to possess private retinues of troops. It’s a much more feudal system. With the threat of these troops, the reactionary faction was able to force Odrynn to reverse most of the reforms. He will have to start all over, this time trying to keep the nobles’ favor.”

“That’s terrible. Glad the nobles here can’t do more than whine loudly.”

“Indeed. Now, the question is: Should Odrynn and Griffonia ask for our aid, would we help them, bearing in mind it is unlikely to be a cheap process.”

“Absolutely,” said Twilight. “To borrow a phrase from the ‘Founding Fathers’ that those Americans are so damn proud of: ‘We non-humans must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.’”

“There is some truth to that,” acknowledged Luna. “But if we were to approach Odrynn, we would probably do not but further alienate the reactionaries. Instead, we should wait for him to approach us. That way, it looks less like a foreign insurrection on our part.”

Several nods around the table.

“Good. Now, the so-called Republic of Texas.”

“That breakaway state from the Republic of Mexico? What a piece of-”

“Thank you, Twilight,” interrupted Celestia. Damn, she feels passionate right now.

“Sorry.”

“Anyways, the question is what we do. Texas has, de facto, established its independence, despite the efforts of - who was it? Santa Anna, I think? - to stop them. I hear he’s launching an offensive; we will have to see where it goes.”

“Mexico has another president?” asked Cadance. “What happened to Victoria?”

“Finished his term. The first and last Mexican president, so far, to serve a complete term in their country. Since then, the presidency has been bouncing back and forth between whatever general has enough troops to hold onto it.

“Anyways, the separatist Texas movement appears to be gaining steam. What we should note is that these ‘Texans’ is that they are Americans. They moved into Texas from the United States, and they probably have at least tacit support from the United States. Thus, we cannot afford to get involved, to insure that the United States does not get a reason to mess with us.”

“Would have been a great way to develop closer relations with Mexico,” mused Twilight. “But, keeping the Americans not angry at us is more important.”

“Indeed,” said Luna.

“Now, we should think larger-scale,” said Celestia. “Firstly, we have made contact with all of the eight so-called ‘Great Powers’ in the past few years. We have send diplomatic delegations to their nations, and they have with us. We will need to also keep their favor, to stay independent.”

“Britain and America aside, the next most important Great Power is probably the Russian Empire,” said Luna. “After all, it’s the closest Great Power, with most of the others in Europe.”

“They will require watching…” said Cadance.

“While we are talking about the human nations, we should also discuss the military,” said Celestia. “The massive recruitment drive we started after the Manetown Incident has greatly expanded the size of the military, but it has started to slack off after the Battle of Appleloosa. As it stands, the Royal Guard has two herds of infantry, one herd of artillery, and one herd of pegasi cavalry. The First Corps is less selective; it has four herds of infantry, two herds of pegasi dragoons, and two herds of artillery. In addition, in reaction to the Battle of Appleloosa, a militia, styling itself the ‘Royal Border Patrol,’ has surfaced. They number about six thousand strong, but lack all but the most basic of training.”

“That’s good for them, but we should funnel them into the actual military, if they so wish,” said Cadance. “Last thing we need is untrained militias on a battlefield with the Americans.”

“I am inclined to agree,” said Celestia. “That aside, I say that the military is doing just fine; we do not need to redeploy any troops or anything. Now, Luna, what do you have from the census?”

“Thank you, Celestia. The population of Equestria is five point two-five million. Of that, forty two percent are earth ponies, twenty eight percent are pegasi, and twenty eight percent are unicorns. We have a tiny minority of a bit under two percent buffalo. All ponies subscribe to Celestialism, all of the buffalo to the various different Animist religions. By far, most of the population are farmers; over seventy seven percent. Artisans make up a distant second, claiming seventeen percent of the population, mostly in urban areas. Soldiers are an even more distant third; with only two percent of the population. Following them are Royal Administrators, with one percent. Teachers, both Celestial and secular, makeup point eight percent. Everypony else is so much in the minority, they are hardly worth mentioning. Forty seven percent of our population identify as conservative, thirty eight percent are reactionary, and fifteen percent are liberal. Finally, the single most important issue to our population is maintaining the lessons of harmony in both the government and their lives. Next, is expanding the military to strengthen our standing against other nations.

“Almost one-third of our population lives in the Manehattan-Fillydelphia Region. The next highest region is Southern Equestria, where Cloudsdale and other provinces are dominated by pegasi. That region has a bit over twenty percent. Next is the Greater Canterlot Region, with a little over fifteen percent. Northern Equestria follows, with almost the same number as the Greater Canterlot. Population density quickly starts to fall off as one moves east, though: Clover Valley is home to just eight percent of the population, and the two unincorporated regions, Valmansas and Springdale, are home to two and one-fifth of one percent of the population, respectively. The percent of ponies that are considered literate is forty-five percent.”

“That low?”

“Yes. Bear in mind, this considers ‘literate’ as more than just able to read signs. We are talking about more intellectual levels, such as the ability to read some higher literature,” repled Luna.

“Thank you, sister. Now, Twilight has a report from the Royal Ministry of the Sciences and Arts.”

“Thank you, Princess Celestia.

“Our development of the mobile artillery has moved from the theoretical stage to action. I propose that we replace one of the artillery herds within the First Corps with a mobile artillery herd.”

“Sounds like a decent idea,” said Cadance. “If it is successful, then we should still retain some standard, heavier artillery, for the firepower.”

“Fair enough. Beyond the artillery, the Ministry is able to do whatever the Council commands.”

“For now, see if you can develop better hoof-held weapons. We need to keep an edge on the human nations, if we want to defend ourselves from them.”


January 2, 1836
Canterlot, Equestria

“...the Equestrian Royal Council has seen fit to reshuffle the Chamber of Deputies,” said Celestia, while speaking to the Advisory Assembly. “The following ponies are dismissed from their seats…”

As she listed the names, the named ponies, most of them Moderates, some of them Liberals, frowned, but held their peace. They could not complain that Celestia was delivering control of the Chamber of Deputies to the Reactionaries, as that would involve admitting that they had formed illegal political parties.

When she finished naming the new members of the Chamber of Deputies, the strong Moderate majority had been wiped out. Before the reshuffling of the lower house, the Moderates had a majority, possessing sixty three seats, compared to twenty six Reactionaries, and eleven Liberals. Celestia awarded all of the special delegate seats to the Reactionaries, and over half of the provincial seats, giving the Reactionaries a whopping eighty one seats, against thirteen Moderates and six Liberals.

“Now, the Royal Council wishes to build a cement factory in the Greater Canterlot Region…”

This maneuver also meant that the Chamber was going to end up electing a new Chief Deputy, as the Reactionaries would undoubtedly want a presiding officer sympathetic to them. The best part, for them, is the fact that only ponies in special delegate seats could be elected to the Chiefship. And all of the ponies in special delegate seats were Reactionaries.

Author's Note:

Dear sweet Celestia, Mexican politics are...complicated.

Herd = A Vicky 2 brigade

A chapter that took only two days...don't worry. I just needed to establish were the Principality stood before the game truly began.