• Published 7th Nov 2014
  • 1,790 Views, 32 Comments

The Ninth Fantasy - Equestria - MrAlterad



Monsters born from an alien mist plague Equestria when a number of its champions vanish. Follow Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Twilight, and three outsiders in this FFIX crossover as they battle for Equestria agaisnt the villains controling the mist.

  • ...
3
 32
 1,790

7. Royal Confrontation

Something caught the blue mares attention. In the distance she noticed a group of something dark fall upon another group of miss matched colors. It was hard to tell what was what at this distance, but she could tell that whatever it was, it was trouble. And she couldn't stand the idea of trouble happening without her. So she changed her course, moving as fast as she could to whatever trouble was waiting for her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steiner moved over to protect Vivi and Rarity as the apparent leader of the mistlings looked down on them. It had the same features as the other mistlings, but was shaped like a pony. As Sunset slowly moved to his side, the leader's eyes fell on Rarity and a scowl formed on its face.

“You!” It proclaimed to Rarity, “I should have know you and your friends had something to do with the mist disappearing!” Steiner did not like anything about this. One mistling was trouble enough, but he doubted they had a chance against four.

“And just why should you care?” Rarity asked, almost stepping past Steiner. “The mist has got to go. And your input on the matter is not needed!” She declared, her familiarity with it making Steiner doubt that their foe was a monster of the mist.

“What is it?” Steiner asked Rarity, the brief mention of changelings coming to mind from earlier.

“It!?” It proclaimed indignantly, “I am Queen Chrysalis, you strange metal buffoon!”

“I am not strange!” Steiner retorted, getting a glare from the queen. So does this mean she's the queen of the changelings?

“I don't have time for this paltry nonsense.” She admitted, looking to them like they were beneath her. Considering her company, she probably isn't far off. Steiner thought as she continued. “Tell me how you got rid of the mist, and I'll leave without harming the lot of you.” Oh, like we're going to believe- Steiner considered before noticing Rarity take a step past him to address the 'queen'.

“Lady Rarity! You cannot truly believe her?” She is the enemy, “You must never trust the words of an enemy.” Rarity looked to him and gave a small smile before turning back to the queen.

“I have your word?” Rarity asked, which got a sly nod from the queen. This will not- ah! Steiner realized what Rarity had in mind.

“Master Vivi,” Steiner whispered to the black mage, “focus your magic, stay behind me while you do it. Lady Rarity is buying us time.” Vivi nodded and focused his magic while hiding behind Steiner. Vivi's magic becomes more powerful if he focuses before using it, the time Rarity is giving us should help deal with those mistlings. His eyes meet Sunset's, and she nodded, moving a little closer to Rarity to defend her when things would go south.

“Very well then,” Rarity began, “But first, I think it's only fair if you tell me why you're company is soo.... mist-ic.” Rarity suggested, nodding towards the mistlings.

“Now now, I agreed to letting you go, not answering your questions.” Chrysalis replied with a sadistic smile.

“Oh, fine!” Rarity declared almost indignantly, “We got rid of the mist by cleaning the crystal, that's how.” Steiner looked at her dumbly, he had thought she was buying time, but she just gave the answer away almost forthright.

“So you crushed my scouts, and cleansed the crystal that was spilling the mist?” Chrysalis asked with a scowl. “How?”

“Oh, I'm sorry,” Rarity replied sarcastically, making over-expressive gestures as she said it, “but I answered your one question. Maybe we should trade answers, otherwise, you are to leave us be!” Now it was Rarity giving the sadistic smile, much to the changeling's annoyance. Then Chrysalis adopted the smile again.

“Capture the pony, crush the others.” She ordered as she took flight, unleashing the mistlings on them. That deceptive witch! Steiner glared at her as the mistlings jumped high, preparing to fall on them. Steiner doubted they could fly, but it was clear to him now that the mistlings they fought in the cave were at a disadvantage against them in an enclosed space, they could really jump. One of them was swallowed up by a fireball before it landed, and shortly after three mistlings fell upon them.

Steiner noticed when the fireball cleared that the mistling it hit was gone, leaving only mist in its wake. He then saw the changeling queen's horn glow, and the mist formed into another mistling, only a little smaller than the previous. That witch! He thought right before he was slammed by the mistling that had landed to his side. Steiner was knocked back several feet, leaving Vivi exposed. Luckily, the other two went for Sunset instead. Vivi's magic was proving to be extremely potent after having spent some time focusing, he would be invaluable to dealing with this regenerating conflict. Getting up, Steiner engaged with the one that knocked him down, just as the forth, smaller mistling, joined the fray as well. It raked at Vivi, but missed, making the black mage trip and fall, before quickly getting up.

Sunset blocked two hits, but they still sent her staggering. Rarity's healing enveloped them shortly after, rejuvenating them. Steiner attacked the larger mistling that was stuck on him with the combination of Vivi's magic, summoning fire as he struck the beast. Unfortunately that attack used the last of Steiner's magic. Shortly after his cut, one of the ones Sunset was fighting was caught in another fireball. Before the fireball could fully disperse, a slight smaller mistling jumped out to continue harassing Sunset. THAT WITCH!

Her deception flew through his eyes again, and his rage was transformed into power. He felt a strength fall over him he wasn't aware he was capable of, as orange and red lightning coursed over his armor, changing its shape to better protect him. His helm changed into a full helm, sealing his head in metal as he attacked the larger mistling still on him, cutting through it like a hot knife through butter. His change must have caught the queen off guard, as she didn't have time to regather the mist before it completely dispersed.

The other mistlings noticed his change, and so did his companions. He looking down at himself. He was glowing from the power. Is this trance!? I didn't know I was capable of such a thing! Trance, a strange power born of powerful emotions, that only a chosen few could tap into, and Steiner was amazed that he was one of those chosen few. He glared at the other mistlings, a sly smile hidden behind his temporary visor. This might even things up! He thought, as he took down the smaller mistling attacking Vivi, too surprised by the change to defend itself. Once again, the queen used her vile magic to reform the mist of the mistling into an even smaller version of itself.

“Master Vivi, take down the queen! We cannot hold out if she keeps replenishing her warriors!” He ordered, and Vivi nodded as Steiner attacked the freshly made mistling before him. As he slew it, it didn't reform, her magic must take time to get going! He assumed, leaving two mistlings left to slay, the large and not as large one on Sunset Shimmer. Moving to assist Sunset, he saw Chrysalis pull out a pair of small black pebbles and threw them at Vivi as he got another spell off, washing the queen in a ball of fire. Steiner was glad the hear her cry out from the attack. The two pebbles both exploded into large swaths of mist, bathing the area. Steiner was filled with dread as the power of trance died down, his armor returned to normal just in time for him to see the mist form into two fresh mistlings.

“I'm out of magic!” Viv declared, moving away from the two new mistlings as they looked around confused.

“Crush the little insect!” Chrysalis, smoke trailing off her form, declared to them, pointing at Vivi.

“Gladly!” An unexpected voice shouted out as a mostly blue and rainbow ball plowed right into the changeling queen. “I'll stomp it reeeaall good!” Rainbow Dash boastfully proclaimed as she blitzed the queen, getting several hits that sent the queen reeling back. Steiner took this opportunity to take down the large mistling Sunset had just wounded, finishing the beast. And with Dash distracting the queen, the mist dissipated, leaving three mistlings.

“Get-” womp “This-” bonk “Pest-” bash “Off-” clonk “Me!” Chrysalis got out as she was relentlessly assaulted by the blue blur. The two new mistlings jumped towards Dash as the queen tried to get to the ground. Steiner dearly hoped she wasn't hit, moving like that made Rainbow Dash more vulnerable to damage, and these beasts did a lot of damage. Hoping the best for their rescuer, he moved to engage the mistling that remained at Sunsets side. Steiner took a hit for her, and shortly following it, Rarity healed them both.

“That was my last one!” She declared apologetically, and though they immediately took care of that mistling, there were still two left. Glancing towards the queen, Steiner saw that the two mistlings had failed to hit Dash.

“Grrrrugh! Enough!” The queen shouted as she tossed two more pebbles to the ground, and turned the mist born from the rocks into one very large mistling before flying away. Dash moved to pursue, but the queens words made her stop in her tracks. “You would abandon them?” She asked, making Dash hesitate as the queen gave the new mistling her order. “Destroy!” With that, she flew off towards the forest past the river, and Dash didn't chase her, she needed to save her friends, somehow.

The large mistling was easily three ponies tall, which made it significantly heavy. Steiner doubted he'd be able to take a single hit from that monstrosity. It turned to the others, and the two other mistlings landed by its side and prepared to attack them. To their surprise, and boon, and worry, the monstrous mistling crushed the two by its side, instantly turning them into mist. It had been ordered to destroy, and it did just that. Oh, that is far removed from being good. Steiner thought, more concerned by its power over the fact that they only had to worry about one mistling.

“Spread out!” Sunset shouted out, and everyone did just that. While it was terribly large, it wasn't any faster than a normal mistling, but all it would take was one hit, and it would be all over for the unlucky one that received the blow.

“I recommend a hasty retreat!” Steiner suggested, “You all flee while I distract it!” He wasn't going to let it harm the ones he chose to protect, he would gladly give his life to save theirs. Even if it meant never seeing home again, he would carry no regrets if his sacrifice saved the others.

“As if!” Dash said as she flew low beneath it, giving it a solid kick behind the things leg, causing it to fall, slowing it down. “I am not leaving you behind. We're all gonna get back to Ponyville and drink some apple-cider while talking about how I took down the giant bug!” She declared as she attacked it. Its size was working against it, but Steiner doubted her hits were inflicting much harm. Steiner didn't mind keeping some company for this battle, but there were others that needed to get away.

“Lady Rarity, get Vivi out of here!” He ordered, he was certain she would be like minded with Dash, but if Vivi's life was on the line, she'd leave in order to save him. Rarity gave Steiner a look he couldn't quite understand, then she glared at him and went to pick up Vivi.

“Steiner!” Sunset said, and Steiner saw too late that the mistling had decided to go for him instead of Dash. Sunset got in front of him as the giant claw, half as thick as a tree trunk, caught the both of them in it swing, sending them flying back, far back. After crashing into the dirt, Steiner let out a hard cough, trying to get air back into his lungs. Sunset Shimmer was in a similar situation. The beast lumbered over to them, but before it could reach them, a large lighting bolt struck the beast from the side, drawing everyone's attention. From where the spell was born, stood a light blue mare with a striped mane that was an even lighter shade of blue. She wore a purple hat and robe with stars embroidered into it, and she had a wand levitated to her side. Shortly after everyone's attention, including the misting's, was drawn to her, a small number of fireworks sprang to life from behind her as she struck a valiant pose.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie!” She proclaimed, as if she was the most important pony in all of Equestria, “Is here to help! Have at you beast! Trixie is even Greater and more Powerful than ever!” Steiner noticed Rarity and Dash in unison put their hooves to their faces, shaking their heads. The mistling let out a terrifying roar, that made Trixie take a step back, fear evident in her expression. Then she glared at it and summoned forth another large lightning bolt, making the beasts chitin start to smoke. His eyes drawn to the smoke, Steiner saw their chance at victory.

“Dash!” He began, “Keep it slowed down! Trixie, keep moving, don't let it gain any ground towards you! Everyone else, SCATTER.” Steiner ordered, and everyone moved to follow his battle plan. Besides Trixie, but she changed her mind after seeing the gargantuan mistling take a lumbering step towards her. What followed after was a demonstration of applied tactics, with Dash keeping the mistling hampered, Trixie was able to wear it down with lightning bolt after lightning bolt. It once tried to jump at Trixie, but its weight was too much for its legs to manage the jump. And in relatively short order, the monster was defeated, exploding into a cloud of mist that was dispersed by Dash.

“We were lucky.” Steiner admitted as they all gathered together. Not rescued by just one, but two ponies, out here, is nothing short of a miracle. Dash gave the others the potions she had from yesterday, and they all recovered from their wounds from her aid. Trixie eyed the humans curiously, before noticing Rarity and Dash.

“Oh, you're Twilight's friends.” She then looked a little bashful as her ears lowered. “I'm sorry about your hair, and the rainbow incident.” Trixie said, making the other two ponies share a surprised look. Steiner briefly wondered what had happened between them, but decided it was a story for another time.

“Thank you for your aid,” Steiner began, “Ms. Trixie, you spared us a tragedy this day.”

“Oh,” she was surprised by Steiner's words. “The Great and Powerful Trixie appreciates your gratitude! Whoever you are.”

“Trixie,” Rarity spoke up, “not that I'm not grateful, but just what are you doing out here?” Trixie smiled as her cape billowed. The air around her felt charged with energy as she recounted her story for being here.

“Trixie heard that there was mist out here, and she came to fight the monsters within. A stranger called Mikoto said that fighting monsters would allow Trixie to master the magic within this wand.” She explained, fabulously presenting the wand. “She also heard of mist in the Everfree, but Neighagra is closer to Manehattan.” She nodded as if it was a matter of fact, which Steiner assumed it was. “Then the strangest thing happened, a green light flew past Trixie, and all the mist vanished. Oh, but not only that, when the green light passed over, Trixie's hat and robe had become even more Great and Powerful! Trixie then saw, with the mist gone, several things fighting and went to check it out, and when she arrived she saw ponies that needed her aid!” She finished with a smile.

“What was that?" Sunset asked, who had waited patiently for Trixie to finish her story, "Your garments now grant you power?” Trixie nodded as she cast another bolt of lightning to shatter a nearby stone. “It didn't work on my clothes.” Sunset admitted as she eyed her apparel. She looked to Rarity, “Do you have anything you've made with you by chance?”

“Afraid not dear, carrying extra clothes during an adventure has never ended well.” She admitted, looking distraught to admit that. She makes clothes? Steiner wondered as Sunset nodded.

“That's really interesting and all,” Dash said, clearly not as interested as she implied. “But we should get moving. We may be able to reach Ponyville by evening if we move quickly.”

“Trixie doubts this, if Ponyville were that close, we'd be able to see Canterlot from here.” Everyone shared a look at her comment.

“Trixie,” Rarity said apprehensively, “you, may want to come with us. Things are bad right now.” Trixie looked at her confused.

“Well, if Twilight's in Ponyville, Trixie would not mind. She has yet to talk to her since she became a princess.” After a brief pause, she took note of the atmosphere hanging around the others. “The Great and Apologetic Trixie wishes to know what is going on.” And as they walked to Ponyville, Sunset Shimmer took up the honors of breaking the news to her.

“Wh-what!?” Trixie replied, “Canterlot is gone!?” She was quiet a moment as she looked towards where the mountain had been. “My friends... The school... No...” Trixie she finished weakly, abandoning her accent and verbal tick. The Great and Powerful unicorn did not cry, but it was clear she wanted to.

Steiner didn't like this, not one bit. Someone had destroyed a whole city, and he wanted to know why. These ponies didn't deserve this, and seeing them sad angered him. He noticed Dash looking a little down as well, and moved closer to the hovering mare.

“Do you still want to talk over some cider?” Steiner asked her.

“I, I think I'll pass. Someponies gone and spoiled it.”

“Doubtful, cider doesn't spoil easy. But I can understand if you're not up for me out-drinking you, I suppose that's just how it's going to be.” Steiner didn't know how to cheer up the others, but Dash was easy for him to please. She looked at him, clearly not willing to take that challenge sitting down. Steiner was glad to see the fire in her eyes, drinking with her was something to look forward to as they headed towards Ponyville.


~~~~~~

Steiner

~~~~~~

Items Equipped:

Broadsword: Beast Killer (mastered)

Lvl Up! Lvl-10 HP 510/510 MP 4/40

AP 18/22

Beast Killer (4) - Deals lethal damage to beasts.

Abilities:

Sword Magic:

Fire Sword 6 MP - Strikes the enemy with Fire Sword.

Sword Arts:

Author's Note:

Trixie-ex-machina!