• Published 7th Nov 2014
  • 1,789 Views, 32 Comments

The Ninth Fantasy - Equestria - MrAlterad



Monsters born from an alien mist plague Equestria when a number of its champions vanish. Follow Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Twilight, and three outsiders in this FFIX crossover as they battle for Equestria agaisnt the villains controling the mist.

  • ...
3
 32
 1,789

5. The Second Seal

Sunset Shimmer looked on where Canterlot had been, trying to recall the good memories she had of the city, but only ended up drawing on the shame of having left it for the human world. She was frustrated with herself. She wanted to feel sad, to cry for what had happened, but all she felt was shock, and it frustrated her. Rarity was crying, and Sunset wanted to comfort her, but that Rarity wasn't the same she was friends with. They were similar in so many ways, but there was no friendship between her and the pony. Sunset felt a tug on her shirt and saw Vivi giving her a sad look, then looked towards Rarity.

We... we can't stay here. We need to get to what remains of Canterlot! She thought as she eyed the mist that had filled in where the mountain's base was. Giving Rarity more time to herself, Sunset looked around, taking in their surroundings. They were on the eastern side of Neighagra falls, atop the cliff. She spotted a hoof-made path hugging the cliff's face that wormed down into the... mist. Is that mist? Or vapor from the falls? Looking down the cliff, she couldn't see the ground at the bottom. It was covered in either fog or mist for several miles around the falls. The mist covered a great deal of land to the east. What was east of the falls again...? Oh! Hollow Shades forest! And beyond the forest is Filly Delphia.

In the distance to the south she saw where the river that the falls fed left the mist. It traveled a little before being swallowed by the mist around what remained of Canterlot. If we get down to the bottom, we can follow the river to Canterlot. Having her bearings, she finally addressed the others.

“We can't stay here, we need to get to Canterlot.” And hopefully, they would run into the others in the process. She got a nod from Steiner as he looked over towards Rarity.

“I agree, we need to see what befell the city, and see if there are any survivors.” Then after a brief moment of silence, he sheepishly said, “I, I'm terribly sorry for the loss.”

Sunset was slightly troubled by how unfazed he was about it, but his apology sounded genuine. Was he familiar with such tragedies on Gaia? Sunset wondered worriedly as she noticed that Rarity hadn't moved. Vivi walked up to her, calling her name, and she briefly glanced over her side, her focus on Canterlot finally broken.

She slowly turned to the others, giving them her attention. Her face was a mess, eye liner had run down her cheeks, and Sunset wouldn't let it stand. She would want that cleaned up. She got close to Rarity, and moved to clean her face, Rarity looked at her confused before Sunset cleaned her up. She didn't move, and let Sunset do the task, and in quick order, Sunset stepped away from her, her face cleared up. Rarity felt her cheeks and saw the mess her make-up had made on Sunset's sleeve.

“Oh, dear," she said, embarrassed. "Thank you,” she added with a weak, genuine smile. She looked around to the others and composed herself. “Yes... Yes, We need to go to Canterlot. We can't stay here and cry when somepony could use our help,” she finished with some forced bravado.

“Rarity, are you going to be okay?” Vivi asked her, his voice laced with worry.

“I will be dear, I will be,” She assured, giving him a small smile. Rarity looked to the others, then looked around to where they were. “How are we suppose to get down?”

“I spotted a path that may lead down to the bottom,” Sunset explained, “Rarity, would you know why Discord sent us here?”

“I honestly don't know. He may have had a reason, or it may have just been a random location.” I doubt that, there must be a reason for it. If it was random, then wouldn't we be split up? Well, more split up anyway. Sunset nodded at her reply and looked down the path, moving towards it.

“Once we reach the bottom,” Sunset explained, “we can follow the river to Canterlot, let's hurry.” And with that, the rest of them followed after her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rainbow Dash had reached the spot where the mountain had been. She was above the mist, and it perfectly concealed the ground. She wasn't going to have any of that, and flew in a tight circle, getting a small tornado going, and used it to blast away the mist like she had done yesterday. However, this gust was much bigger, she intended to get rid of all of the mist covering the area, and she succeeded. The area clear of it, her sharp perception went to work looking for what she could find. Please, oh please, let them be okay!

The ground was smooth stone, as if it had been perfectly cut, giving the pegasus the impression that the mountain had merely been taken away some how. At least, that's what she told herself to keep from breaking down in tears. She was Rainbow Dash, and crying was not awesome. Being a field of flat, smooth, gray stone, it was easy for her to spot the only thing that stood out. She was happy at first, then alarmed, then angry. Twilight was sitting in the back of a small cart, Mikoto was pulling her, towards Dash.

Dash quickly closed the distance, looking over Twilight in shock. She was slightly transparent, and unconscious. She seemed to be shimmering from see-through to normal, and it made Dash all the more worried. She addressed Mikoto, believing she was to blame for Canterlot's disappearance.

“What have you done! What did you do to my friend! To Canterlot!” She shouted as she tried to tackle Mikoto, but she hit a barrier between the two of them, her impact knocking both of them over. Dash got up quickly and placed herself on Mikoto's barrier, using her weight to pin her to the ground through the shield. Mikoto stared at her, her face expressionless, but her eyes showed fear, sorrow, and regret.

“I'm sorry. I didn't want this. I didn't do this, but I'm not free of blame.” She said as she looked Dash in the eyes, “I want to help Equestria, I'm saddened by this just as much as you-”

“NO! You are not!” She said, slamming the shield fruitlessly, “What is wrong with her!” She yelled, pointing a hoof at Twilight. Mikoto looked to Twilight and considered for a moment before answering.

“She's trapped between realms. Whether she settles here or there is up to her.” Her explanation only confused Dash.

“Between realms? Worlds? She's stuck between here and that Gaia place?” Mikoto shook her head.

“No, someplace different, someplace that's always been connected to Equestria.” She explained, “I don't know it's name, but I'm sure she's been there before.” Dash didn't like that answer, but didn't think she'd get any more if she tried digging deeper.

“And why do you have her?” She was done with shouting, but the threat was still laced within her tone.

“Because she needs to be with her friends. I was going to bring her to Ponyville. You and Twilight are important, as are the others, and you need to help her.”

"Of course I'm going to help her! And just how are we important?” She asked as she gave Twilight a concerned look. I need to get her to Zecora, she may know how to help her.

“You're one of the seal breakers. If any of you should perish, Equestria would be consumed by the mist.” That raised all kinds of red flags to the pegasus.

“If she's that important, then undo what you did to her!”

“If I did, she would be kept prisoner.” Mikoto said, clearly not liking the idea. “Take her, protect her, and the others.”

“The others! Where are they!?” Mikoto hesitated before replying.

“Four of them are to the north east, and another is far west. I'm not sure where the pink one is.” Dash knew, sort of, and didn't feel like informing the pinned 'provider'. “Can you get off me now? You need to get her to Ponyville.”

“You, are not the boss of me!” Dash proclaimed, then got off Mikoto and grabbed the handle of the wagon Twilight was resting in with her tail. She glared at the outsider before moving towards Ponyville. She needed to take care of Twilight first, and she hoped her other friends were fairing better than Twilight was. That Mikoto, what is her deal? She wants to save us, then does that to Canterlot!? She thought as she sped on. If she wasn't worried about Twilight, she would have tried to force the answers out of Mikoto.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was pretty clear at this point, that it was mist lying at the bottom on the climb down. Not too long after they had entered it, they were attacked by the monsters within. There were no wolves, but a mix of large monsters resembling pudding, as well as large lizards with no arms that had oversized beaks. Though the party lacked a number of their friends, they found the monsters none too difficult to vanquish.

The pathway was thick enough for them all to stand side by side. Steiner and Sunset would get up close and keep the monsters away from the others. With Vivi's offensive magic, and Rarity's supportive magic, the monsters had no chance against them. Working down the cliff side, they walked past a cave entrance hidden behind the waterfall, and immediately halted at it. Mist was very clearly poring out of it. The mist drifted out of the cave and was dragged down by the winds generated by the waterfall, filling the valley below.

“You don't suppose there's another one of those crystals here, would you!?” Rarity asked, yelling above the roaring water to be heard. With the falls being several feet from them, they were all soaked to the bone from the water, and none of them were happy about it, least of all Rarity.

“If it's just those large gems causing the mist,” Steiner shouted, “than there may likely be one within this cave!” Did Discord send us to the falls because it was close to one of these crystals? Sunset wondered as Vivi spoke up.

“If it's making the mist, shouldn't we stop it!?” He asked, getting a nod from Rarity and Sunset. Wanting to get away from the crashing noise, they all went inside, keeping a vigilant eye out as Rarity lit the cave with her magic.

With the density of the mist, they couldn't see too far ahead, but the cave had many large stalagmites and stalactites. The cave felt ancient, and as Sunset lost herself in the awe of the location, they were attacked by more monsters.

These monsters were different from the ones outside. They were made of stone, composed of several boulders, their arms were pointy stalagmites, and they hit hard. They were slow and big, being easy to dodge, but getting hit usually ended with someone getting sent flying. Steiner and Sunset's attacks did little more than scratch the stone monsters, and it was Vivi's magic that took care of them. Truly, his magic was a boon to the others.

“Vivi!” Rarity cheered, “I don't know what we'd do without you~.” She complimented him after they had taken down another rock golem. Several of the rocks making up its body dissipated into mist as it perished, revealing that only parts of it were the actually mist monster.

“Truly!” Steiner affirmed, getting a smile from Rarity. “Master Vivi, your power is simply amazing!" Something occurred to the knight as he approached the black mage, "I was wondering, if you'd be willing to indulge in an idea of mine.” Steiner asked of Vivi, and after a short talk, they worked together a means of Vivi augmenting Steiner's attacks with his magic. It looks like they've put Canterlot behind them, for now. Sunset thought with a smile, she was happy that they could make light of the situation.

The next rock golem they came across fell victim to Steiner and Vivi's new combination. They combined their might together to summon fire from his sword as he struck the golem, causing great harm to it. Sunset wondered if this was another trick Gaian magic was capable of, and tried to pull off the same trick with Vivi. It didn't work, however, and it frustrated Sunset that she couldn't figure out why. Maybe the power my weapon grants me is more defensive than offensive. Or it's simply incompatible with the fighting style?

Fighting with the blade and buckler was turning into an interesting experience. She had never used such weapons before, but she felt the blade guiding her swing, the shield whispering how to move to best protect herself and the others. These items, their power is incredible, and these are suppose to be the most mundane of equipment? She thought in surprise, she could only wonder what more powerful weapons were capable of.

Traveling through the cavern, they followed the direction the mist was poring from, leading them gradually downward towards its source. Being lost in thought over her equipment, she was caught off guard by the ambush. Something fell from the ceiling, lashing at Sunset and sending her flying back against the cavern wall, getting a cry of alarm from the others. As she staggered to her feet, she felt Rarity's healing mend her aches as she appraised her attacker.

It was an insect-like creature, with a humanoid shape. Its body was thick, its limbs heavy, it had a short horn on its head, clawed fingers and insect like wings. It was also big, bigger than Steiner, and heavier from the looks of it.

“Is that a changeling!?” Rarity asked in surprise as it turned towards her. Seeing it about to attack her, Sunset got in the way of the attack, and was knocked back into the wall again for her efforts. Getting back up, she raised her shield, taking up a defensive stance.

“We need to take it down quickly!” She cried out, “I don't think we'll be able to manage if it has friends!” Sunset declared as it attacked her again, and she knocked the blow aside with her shield. Steiner flanked the creature, and when he attacked, he took off one of its wings, and they saw the severed wing dissipate into mist. Even with their combined attack, it still took some effort to take it down, but it was destroyed before it could wear them down. With the monster slain, they took a breather, as Sunset turned to Rarity.

“You asked if that was a changeling? It certainly didn't do much changing,” Sunset pointed out.

“Well, it resembled one at least.” Rarity admitted, looking over Vivi and Steiner as she explained, “Changelings can look like ponies, and they feed off of our love. I find it strange that it resembled one so well. I mean, if you had given that thing we fought the shape of a pony, it would have looked exactly like a changeling. Though I will admit, it was certainly hardier than any changeling I've ever encountered.”

“I really hope there aren't more of them ahead.” Steiner admitted, “We barely managed one.” Then looking towards where they were heading, he asked, “So, are changelings made of mist?” Rarity shook her head, “Then let's call that thing we fought a mistling to avoid confusion.” He suggested, and no one saw any reason to suggest otherwise.

“Now, I hate to be the bearer of bad news,” Rarity said, a little disappointed with herself, “but I think my magic has run out. I don't believe I'll be able to cast another heal until I recover.”

“I'm close to being drained of magic as well,” Vivi admitted. Sunset looked through their possessions, they each had a couple of Zecora's healing potions left, but Twilight had all of the phoenix down. Sunset was considering between pushing forward, or turning back.

“Well, let's hope for the best.” She said, making her decision. “We need to go forward, if there is one of those crystals here, than stopping the mist it's spilling out will also get rid of the mist around the area. Assuming it does the same thing the one in the Everfree did.”

“Not having to travel through the mist would make it easier to avoid the monsters,” Steiner added. Having decided to move forward, they continued cautiously through the cavern, keeping an eye out and avoiding possible ambushes. It wasn't long before they reached their destination. In the chamber ahead was the crystal, radiating its black light. The set up was exactly the same as the one in the Everfree. A platform with an eight pointed star, a floating round tablet with an eight branched tree. And from what Sunset could tell, another barrier, as there were two mistlings in the room. Both of them were infatuated with the crystal, and thus didn't notice the loud clanking of Steiner's armor when they reached the room. One of them was gently clawing at the barrier, looking at the crystal longingly. Oh great! Sunset thought bitterly, We've got to take them down to get to the tablet.

“Okay,” Sunset whispered, getting an idea together, “Vivi, I want you to focus your magic, and prepare to use your fire on the one near the barrier. Try to be as efficient as possible with it. Steiner, you and I are going to try and take it down fast.” He nodded, then Sunset hesitated as she turned to Rarity.

“And let me guess, you want me to distract the other one?” She asked, catching Sunset off guard. She nodded dumbly at her question. “Well, that should be easy enough, just be quick about it.” She hesitated, restrained fear worn on her face, “I... don't like this idea, but we don't have too many options right now.” Sunset nodded and apologized, “Don't worry dear, we need to do this.” She said with a smile, clearly happy with Sunset's concern for her. With the plan divvied out, they put it in motion.

Rarity levitated her rod into the room and clubbed her target in the back of the head. It quickly turned and spotted her and roared, making the mare's ears drop in fear as she turned tail and ran, and it pursued her. The second one wasn't completely on the uptake and failed to follow the other, leaving it alone, to the relief of the others. Please Rarity, be okay. Her safety hinged on the likelihood that a pony could outrun a mistling.

The three of them took on the straggler, and managed to take him down quickly with Vivi's focused magic. The mistling had gotten a hit off on both Sunset and Steiner, and they were both looking rough for it. However, after a few potions, both were ready to fight again, and they made to follow Rarity, but to their surprise, Rarity returned. She was injured, but that didn't stop her from running right behind the others as the second mistling entered the room. Vivi gave Rarity the last of their potions as he told the others his magic had run out. Steiner and Sunset shared a look, this last one was on them, and they weren't sure they could best it.

They both engaged the mistling before it could try and continue harassing Rarity. Sunset brought up her shield as Steiner slid behind the mistling. It attacked, but with the shield raised, she deflected the brunt of the attack, but was still knocked back. Steiner swung wide, cleaving off its wings, and it swung wide in return, sending him flying against the cavern wall. These brutes are ridiculous! She stabbed at its back, and it swung at her, and she deflected another blow, being knocked back again. She saw Steiner get up and charge it, and it turned to meet his charge. Sunset moved quickly, seeing the attack it was about to take Steiner down with. As Steiner's attack connected, Sunset had slipped to his side and tripped him, getting a yelp of surprise from the knight. His fall made the mistling's swing miss him, catching Sunset in the side instead. She crashed into the wall, in the same spot Steiner had. She didn't have all that armor like he did, and it knocked the wind out of her, and she doubled over in pain. The mistling eyed the two of them with a smile, it saw how close to defeat they were. And in the moment it should have been spending attacking, his foes were aided. Sunset and Steiner were bathed in a blue healing light, to their surprise, and getting up, they both ran the mistling through before it could recover from its confusion, and it dissipated into mist. Their victory claimed, the two of them gave Rarity a skeptical look.

“What?” She said with a sheepish smile, “I said 'I think' that I was out a magic, glad to see I was wrong.” With the room cleared, they all gathered before the tablet.

“I wonder,” Steiner began as he reached out and touched the tablet, but nothing happened. “I see.”

“Mind if I try deactivating this one?” Vivi asked.

“Well, assuming it works the way we think it does, you go right ahead dear.” Rarity said, and Vivi walked up to the tablet, stood on his toes, and touched it, then fell over as the table came to life. It glowed a bright light green, and the crystal did as well, clearing out the blackness that had filled it. The crystal pulsated and let out a blast of green light in all directions, washing over the party and beyond.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She wasn't far from Ponyville now, then she could fly to Zecora and bring her to Twilight. Rainbow suddenly felt a mental pull to the north east, and her attention was drawn to it. Beyond the Canterlot plain, she saw a green wave of light spreading out, like a rainboom, and it quickly flew past her and Ponyville, making her mane tingle. Did they find another of one of those crystals? She wondered, then shook her head. One problem at a time! And with that, she continued on to Ponyville, hoping Twilight would turn out okay.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunset Shimmer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Items Equipped:

Iron Sword and Buckler: Cover(mastered), Deflection(mastered)

Lvl Up! Lvl-9 HP 388/420 MP 8/38

AP 13/19

Cover (6) - You take damage in place of an ally.

Abilities:

Counter: Action Command - Counter attacks when physically attacked. Deals more damage than Attack.

Sword and Board:

Deflection 10 MP - Lowers damage taken for an ally for a duration.

Author's Note:

Thunderfury: Ride the Lightning (mastered)
Ele: Atk - Thunder, Increases Thunder Damage, Increases WoW cred.

Light Saber: Force Push (mastered)
Ele: Atk - Holy, Increase Critical chance, Increases SW cred.

**Swords not appearing in this story, Light Saber, Thunderfury, Excalibur II**