• Published 7th Nov 2014
  • 1,790 Views, 32 Comments

The Ninth Fantasy - Equestria - MrAlterad



Monsters born from an alien mist plague Equestria when a number of its champions vanish. Follow Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Twilight, and three outsiders in this FFIX crossover as they battle for Equestria agaisnt the villains controling the mist.

  • ...
3
 32
 1,790

10. Expression

Sunset Shimmer watched as Twilight finished her speech, grinning at her friends tears of gratitude. She really is a lucky mare. She felt that old envy that had once poisoned her bubble up, and Sunset took it and turned it into pride for her friend. I guess that makes us all lucky, to have her as a friend. Thinking that, she looked to the others, who were nearby in the crowd.

Dash was not taking kindly to the noise of the cheering, clearly suffering a headache, but that didn't stop the blue pegasus from smiling. Steiner was clapping for Twilight, and unlike Rainbow Dash, he looked ready to tackle any problem that came his way. She saw Rarity, Vivi, and...is that Sweetie Belle? She's adorable! Sunset shook her head of that momentary distraction. The three of them were also cheering for Twilight. Even Zecora was present, nodding at the crowds reaction to Twilight's words. Trixie was nowhere to be seen, and Sunset couldn't help but wonder why.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Great and Powerful Trixie looked on from a distance. She was envious of Twilight, standing on that stage, being cheered by everypony in Ponyville. But she was also happy for her. Equestria needs Twilight. No, that's not quite right. Equestria needs everypony. And The Great and Powerful Trixie wasn't going be left out of that. She may not be a 'seal breaker' or one of Twilight's closest friends, but she intended to help to the best of her abilities. After the crowd had gotten answers for their questions, the address was over, and as the ponies dispersed, Trixie moved in to offer her helping hoof to Twilight. I may not be able to handle an Ursa minor, but I can at least help defend Equestria from the changelings and monsters. She thought, filling her self esteem with a well desired boost.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The crowd had dispersed, allowing Sunset and the rest to approach her. Sweetie Belle was pulling a small cart with a chest in it, that Sunset was pretty sure belonged to Rarity. Why isn't Rarity the one pulling it? She wondered as she noticed the others giving the cart aside glances.

“That was lovely dear,” Rarity admitted, “Simply Marvelous.” She then looked Twilight in the eyes, a friendly smile shining through. “Of course, it goes without saying that we'll be backing you the whole way as well.” It really did go without saying. The others agreed with Rarity, and Twilight truly did look like the luckiest pony in all of Equestria. “Speaking of backing you up, I stayed up all night working on these, so tell me what you think~” She sure looks well rested for somepony that hasn't gotten any sleep! Rarity was looking better off than Dash. Does she do something like this often? Everyone appraised her as she opened the chest Sweetie was managing.

“Now, I wasn't able to make full sets for everyone. Metal armor isn't my cup of tea, but I did make something for each of you.” She rummaged through the chest with her magic, bringing out a number of items, and she gave everyone their respective items. Rarity presented Sunset with a dark red bandanna with her cutie mark etched into it, the center of it being a paired topaz and ruby. It was so small and simple, but she saw the care and love that Rarity had put in this simple article of cloth. She felt power radiating from it, and she thanked Rarity for the gift.

“I'm afraid I couldn't do much for you and Steiner concerning armor,” Rarity admitted, disappointed she couldn't give them that much. “You'll both want to talk to a smith at some point. I would love to give you a dress to fight in,” she said to Sunset, “but I learned last night that items only give power to those who match its style.” She explained with a frown. “Sweetie Belle couldn't get anything from the hat I made for Vivi, even though Vivi did. So I doubt wearing a dress will grant you any power. The way you fight leads me to think something closer to what Steiner wears would be more suitable, without the rust, naturally.” Which prompted Steiner to roll his eyes. Well, it would also feel silly to fight with a sword while wearing a dress, or rusty armor.

Rarity turned to Dash, and she gave her a bandanna not unlike the one Sunset was given, but it had Dash's cutie mark etched in with three gems for the lightning bolt. She also gave Dash a white combat robe with silver embroidery of fire stitched at the end of the hooves that the pegasus could fly in. Dash was quick to give them her stamp of approval.

Rarity gave Twilight a dark blue vest with small star motifs etched into the seams. She was also given a small saddlebag specifically made to hold books. It matched the vest, and had a silver strap and buckle. The saddlebag also had a sheath integrated into it for her sword. Twilight approved of the practicality of the saddlebags, thanking Rarity with a hug.

Rarity practically had a whole set of clothes for Vivi, thought it was the same color as his original pair, it all had Rarity's personal touch. She gave Steiner a decorative scabbard, which he graciously thanked her for, making her blush.

“Oh, it was nothing,” she quickly replied, caught off guard by the energy behind his gratitude. And shortly after giving out the last item to him, Trixie joined them.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie wishes to know what the plan is.” And at her question everyone turned to Twilight. Equestria was in danger from the mist, and the changelings, and they all wanted to know what the plan was.

“Oh, well.” Twilight started, caught off guard by the change in mood. “The Wonderbolts should return sometime tonight, when they do I'm going to asked them where they spotted mist in Equestria. So until then, we prepare to leave. When we know where the mist is coming from, we'll head out to take care of the seal its poring from.” She informed them, a fire in her eyes.

“Oh, oh dear,” Rarity said worriedly, “so soon? I, I could really use some rest. I'll talk to you all later, I need to give out what's left of this.” She indicated the contents of the chest. She quickly levitated a new star emblazoned hat to Trixie and left before Trixie could thank her.

“Just how much did she make?” Sunset asked.

“She only made what she gave all of us. The rest is what she had in her shop.” Vivi answered, “She made all of our stuff from scratch, the rest is modified from other pieces she had. She wants to make sure Ponyville is equipped.” Vivi looked towards Rarity and Sweetie Belle, and chose to follow them, telling the others he'd see them later.

“Won't that cost her?” Steiner asked Twilight with some concern, “Doesn't she make a living off selling clothes?” He was taken aback by Rarity's generosity.

“Yes,” Dash admitted, “But that's Rarity, if it can help a pony more than her, she'll give to the pony that needs it more.”

“It's okay, her shop will be fine, I'll make sure of that,” Twilight promised the others. Sunset nodded at her sentiment. Rarity's generosity isn't going to bite her in the flank, not while we're here. Sunset then saw Twilight sway unexpectedly.

“I, I think I'm going to follow her example,” she said, suddenly looking tired. “I don't think I got enough rest, spent too long preparing that speech.” She added as she almost stumbled over, Dash move to help her, keeping her from falling. “Thanks Dash, I feel really tired right now, mind helping me back to the castle?” Dash didn't hesitate, and Steiner accompanied them. Sunset watched them leave, wondering if it was normal fatigue that plagued Twilight, or something else. With the others gone, it was just Sunset and Trixie. Trixie looked towards Twilight, lost in thought.

“So, you want to join us with breaking these seals?” This Trixie is different from the one on the other side of the mirror. She seems more, humble. Is it because of Twilight? Sunset thought as she added, “You're help saved our hides yesterday, so you're aide would be welcome.” Trixie considered her words for a moment before replying.

“Yes, The Great and Powerful Trixie wishes to help, in any way she can.” She looked at the hat Rarity had given her and let out a sigh. “Trixie is not finished with her current hat. Still, Trixie needs to thank the fashionable one. So, Sunset, you are suppose to be a pony, right?” Sunset nodded as she looked to where Twilight and the others were walking. Twilight needs the rest, she may still be recovering from what happened at Canterlot. Eyeing Zecora, Sunset turned to Trixie.

“Let's go, we need to get things ready for when the Wonderbolts return. We can talk as we do so.” And Trixie nodded, liking that idea as they moved to talk to Zecora. I hope she's prepared more potions. We're probably going to need them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Just how are you doing that?” Dash asked Steiner, who looked at her confused, his confusion mirrored by Twilight.

“What do you mean?” His attention was still caught on the princesses fatigue, and was unprepared for the mare's question.

“You look completely fine! I still have a headache, and getting out of bed was the worse!” She declared, and I don't really remember how I got in bed, for that matter, she thought.

“Oh,” he realized what she was referring to and took up a smug expression. “Perhaps I'm just heartier than you?” He suggested, then turned to conceal his grin, which she totally noticed.

“You both did just fine, right?” Twilight asked drowsily, distracting Dash from her retort.

“I do believe we did,” Steiner offered, and Dash nodded in agreement.

“Oh, good.” She smiled weakly, her pace slowing. “Oh, I'm sorry, I think... I'm falling...” She passed out before she could finish her sentence, but her friends caught her. Their concern turned into worry as her body started to take on the shifting transparency she suffered yesterday.

“Twilight? Twilight!” Dash cried in concern as she looked to Steiner, not sure of what to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight opened her eyes, she was in the field of stars again, to her surprise, then concern. Looking around, she saw that she was where she had been last time, suspended high above Equestria. Discord was waving at her with that mischievous grin of his, prompting her to trot up to him.

“Welcome back to the Realm of Twilight.” He said with a mocking grin. Making her frown, 'Realm of Twilight'? Ugh, it that really this locations name?

“Discord, why am I here again?” She considered teleporting back, but since she was here, she might was well converse with the fractured spirit of chaos.

“Oh, I just felt a need to pull you back for a quick word.” He explained, pulling a string that was attached to her back, which quickly vanished. “I certainly hope you don't mind.” He stated, giving her an innocent look. Twilight could only imagine how her friends were reacting to her passing out right now.

“What is it, is it important?” She asked, not bothering to mask her annoyance.

“Actually, it is,” He replied, as if it was natural that anything involving him was important. “Being stuck here all alone has given me far too much free time. So I've been looking over Equestria, and trying to get a feel for Gaia.” He held his hands together to form a square, eyeing through it in Gaia's general direction. “Even though I can't see it, I can feel it's magic. That aside, I wanted to tell you that you don't have to worry about Fluttershy, I got someone I trust watching her.” He said as he gave Twilight an exaggerated wink. Fluttershy's okay? That's a relief to hear. She looked around, her curiosity now starting to drive the conversation.

“How did you bring me here? Can you bring the others here as well?” She asked, wanting to know what rules bound this realm.

“No, just you.” He said as he poked her nose, “When you left, you didn't quite leave. This will probably sound strange to you, but you're in pieces, just like me. Only your pieces are still connected.” Huh?

“I don't follow,” he frowned at her, clearly having expected her to understand.

“Well, when you left for Equestria, your 'body' remained, it became transparent, and you were asleep.” He gave her his signature grin again as he added, “Oh the funny faces I made at you while you were asleep, you should have been there! Oh wait, you were!” And he cackled at his own, terrible joke.

“So my body is in two places at once?” She asked, ignoring his behavior, “How is that possible?”

“You silly pony, I said 'body', not body.” He split himself into two copies of himself, one whole and awake, the other asleep and transparent. “Do you really think you're floating here in your physical form?” The awake Discord asked, “Nope, this 'body' is a personification of your magic.” He said as he indicated his sleeping self. “I'm guessing it's a side effect of being half banished.”

“But I can use my magic just fine, in Equestria.”

“Well, yes, your normal everyday unicorn magic that is. But that spark, that certain something that makes Twilight Sparkle more than a normal unicorn.” Suddenly he turned to stone, smiling at her. “That is what you are right now.” Twilight considered his words. Does that mean I can't use the power of friendship while I'm in 'pieces'? She did, indeed, not feel complete here. So in this realm I'm without my body, and on Equestria I'm without my...magic? She looked to Discord, back to being normal, and not split into copies, hoping he had an answer.

“Is there a way for me to be whole again?”

“I'll let you know as soon as I put myself back together.” He then looked back to where Gaia, unseen in the 'sky' was. “That aside, I've been feeling some interesting things from Gaia. Lot of powerful magic at work there. I've seen mages not too different from that Vivi fellow traveling through this realm as a shortcut. A terribly slow teleport if you ask me. That sounds interesting, but I don't see how that matters right now.

“You said Fluttershy was safe, so you can see what's going on in Equestria?” He nodded at her question, pulling out a large magnifying glass and showing Fluttershy standing outside a crowd in a town to the west. It looks like Quina is with her. She thought, letting out a sigh of relief. Looking at Equestria from above like this, she couldn't tell if certain patches of gray were mist or clouds.

“Do you know where the mist has formed?”

“I do, in three places. But I won't spoil the efforts of the Wonderbolts.” He added, giving her a sly smile. “I'm sure your friends could use some more time preparing.

“Well than, what about Unified Fantasy?” And he shook his head. “So you brought me here to tell me that I'm now lacking a power I never really had control over, and that Fluttershy is fine?” When he said he brought her back, she had been expecting more, still, she was happy to know about Fluttershy's condition.

“I guess I could also tell you that you've got another pair of eyes watching Equestria for you. But I guess that's just not important enough for you,” he harrumphed. Wait, he's right!

“Discord, I need you to see what the changelings are up to. My friends ran into them, and they're looking to cause trouble.”

“Worry not, my little pony friend!” His magnifying glass turned into an elaborate telescope, and he peered through it, backwards, to Equestria. “I'll keep an eye on them, regardless of how insignificant they are~,” he finished with a chuckle.

“Thanks Discord, I really mean it.”

“I know you do, that's just the kind of pony you are.”

“I'm leaving now, no doubt my friends are worried.” And seeing Discord make a shooing motion, she teleported back to her body, leaving her other self to pass out in the Realm of Twilight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunset found that Trixie had gone through something similar to her. They both became obsessed with power and jealousy, and in the end Twilight saved them with her friendship. After getting a good amount of healing supplies from Zecora, the two of them headed to the castle, talking about the finer details of casting spells. Sometime into the conversation they realized that topic was weakened by the fact that new powers could now be learned from equipment.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie cannot believe it. How can this 'Gaia' have so much magic, that items themselves give spells and abilities!?” She exclaimed as they entered the castle, now being guarded by a pair of ponies from Ponyville.

“Maybe that's just how it was made.” Sunset suggested in contemplation. “Just like how some unicorns are born more talented at magic than others, some worlds simply have more magic than others.”

“Don't you think it's strange that this 'Gaia' is so willing to share it's magic with us?”

“I do, but I don't think-” She was interrupted by someone screaming Twilight's name in joy and concern. Trixie and Sunset shared a look as the moved into the main room, where Dash and Steiner were looking terribly relieved at Twilight.

“Sorry about that,” She said as she rubbed her eyes, “Discord wanted to talk to me.”

“What?”

“Huh?”

Steiner and Dash replied in unison as the other two joined in.

“Did something happen?” Sunset asked. Twilight nodded and explained what had happened between her and Discord to the others. As they started to discuss the possibilities as to why there were three sources of mist, according to Discord, as apposed to six, one of the guards came in.

“Princess Twilight, someone named Mikoto wishes to speak with you.” Everyone shared a look, Steiner and Dash of disapproval, Trixie, Twilight and Sunset of curiosity. Twilight nodded to the guard to let her in.

“You're letting her in!?” Dash asked, just short of outrage, “She's the reason Canterlot is gone!”

“Princess, I must insist you reconsider,” Steiner pleaded, “letting the enemy into your castle is not a good idea!”

“Trixie does not understand the connection. Is this Mikoto you speak of different from the one that gave Trixie her wand?”

“She's the same person.” Twilight answered as she turned to Steiner and Dash, “Both of you, calm down. She helped us, and saved me. I want to know why. So both of you, at the very least, tolerate her, for me.” Sunset saw no problem, she doubted Mikoto was the one that destroyed Canterlot, though she probably did play a part in it.

“They don't need to tolerate me.” Mikoto assured as she entered the throne room, getting a glare from Steiner and Dash. “My master dissolved Canterlot, and banished the princesses, you have every right to hate me.” Her words still lacked inflection and emotion, but her eyes showed a sadness that Sunset and Trixie immediately empathized with. Those are eyes filled with regret.

“Mikoto, I don't hate you.” Twilight insisted, “But I need to know, why? Why was Canterlot 'dissolved', and the princesses banished?”

“It was because you tried to send someone through the barrier.” Mikoto explained, “My master overlooks the spell, and when he felt what you tried to do, he acted to make sure it wasn't repeated. Despite my wishes.”

“We-” Twilight began, almost chocking out her words, “We lost so much simply for trying to send Steiner back home?” Steiner looked mortified by this news, which was mirrored by Twilight. No, she's blaming herself! Sunset didn't hesitate, she quickly moved to Twilight, putting her hands on her shoulders, surprising the princess.

“Twilight, this wasn't your fault.” She said calmly, looking into her friends eyes. “Steiner, it isn't yours either.” She assured the knight, “Her master did this. Please, do not blame yourselves.” She didn't want them to go through what she had gone through. They were not to blame, someone acted in reaction to them, and they did so with cruelty. Sunset had brought her sadness on herself, she wouldn't let Twilight and Steiner do the same when they were not to blame. Her words got through to Twilight, and she nodded, whispering her gratitude to Sunset. After regaining her composure, Twilight continued her conversation with Mikoto, who had watched the entire exchange with envy.

“Okay, so your master, is he the one managing Unified Fantasy?” Twilight asked, and Mikoto's eyes widened in surprise.

“You know about that? How?” Her wonder then shifted to concern, “What do you know?”

“We know that it involves filling Equestria with Gaian magic.” Sunset informed her, “And that the seals probably play a part in it.” At least, that's what she assumed, and her reply got a sigh of relief out of Mikoto.

“You're right,” She affirmed, “the seals play a part, and my master does manage it. The mist is common in Gaia, and it seeps through the seals. By disabling the seals, mist stops traveling through it, but it also makes Gaia's magic more prevalent in Equestria. When you break a seal, several things happen. First, all the mist nearby is cleansed. Second, some aspect of Gaia's magic becomes stronger on Equestria. And third, two of the other seals are awakened.” They knew the first, and assumed the second, but the third caught them off guard.

“Wait,” Twilight began, “So they day before yesterday, when we broke the first seal, it awakened two others? So until then, mist was only coming from the Everfree?”

“Correct. Until all seven seals are broken, mist will pore into Equestria.”

“Don't you mean eight?” Trixie asked, and Mikoto shook her head.

“There are only seven seals to break in Equestria. That's why, even though you've already lost a breaker, you can still save Equestria with just seven of you.” Does she not know that we accidentally sent Pinkie to Gaia?

“And what is Unified Fantasy,” Twilight asked her.

“I cannot tell you that,” Mikoto said as she shook her head.

“Why was Applejack sent to Gaia?” Dash demanded to know.

“I cannot tell you that,” she replied, avoiding Dash's gaze.

“What is the mist?” Sunset asked of her.

“I cannot tell you that.”

“They all have something to do with Unified Fantasy, don't they?" Twilight assumed.

“I cannot tell you that.”

“Well, what can you tell us!” Dash shouted out of frustration. Mikoto considered her question for a moment, and looked to Dash as she replied.

“I can tell you that when all seven seals are broken, Equestria will never see the mist again. Equestria, and all its inhabitants will be safe, and you won't have to worry about me or my master ever again.”

“A likely story,” Dash replied sarcastically, making Mikoto's demeanor shift slightly.

“I don't lie, I see no point in it.” Her voice had a hint of anger in it. “I'm telling you the truth. But I can understand if you don't believe me.” She got up and made to leave.

“Hey we're not-” Dash began.

“Stop it Dash,” Twilight interrupted, she looked at Mikoto with an odd expression, is Twilight pitying her? Dash looked to Twilight, confused, and angry that she stopped her.

“You all have fought a number of monsters in the mist,” Mikoto coldly said as she pulled her cart from the side, and put its contents on the floor next to her. Was she upset by Dash insinuating that she was lying? “Please take care of yourselves, some denizens of Equestria have started mucking around with the mist, and I'm not sure if my master cares for it.” With that, Mikoto left them. Everyone eyed the pile of weapons, no one was eager to poached their reward from it, not just yet.

“I don't see why you're so nice to her,” Dash said to Twilight, her tone ripe with frustration.

“It's because she's trying to help,” Trixie replied. “It's not her fault her master is a city destroying monster.” Her retort surprised Dash, and she turned on Trixie.

“Oh like you're one to talk! You sealed Ponyville in a glass lid and kicked Twilight out! And now you're 'trying to help' as well!” That isn't fair! Sunset moved to defend Trixie from Dash's words.

“She was possessed by the amulet, she's already apologized-” But Dash interrupted her.

“And you! You stole twilight's crown and tried to take over everything!”

“Rainbow Dash!” Twilight exclaimed.

“What!?” Dash shouted as she turned to Twilight, “And why do you have to be so nice! These ponies don't deserve it! You're suppose to be the egghead, so why are you being an idiot!?” They're eyes met, and Dashes eyes widened in alarm at seeing the surprise in Twilight's. “I, I mean...” Dash hovered in front of her for a moment, her actions playing through her head. She gave out a short apology as she quickly flew out of the castle, ashamed of herself.

“Dash! Rainbow Dash!” Twilight shouted, worry thick in her voice. Twilight quickly flew after her friend, as fast as she could as the others watched in shock.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunset Shimmer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Items Equipped: *New Item Acquired*

Iron Sword and Buckler: Cover(mastered), Deflection(mastered)

*Red Bandanna : Antibody, Boomerang

Lvl-10 HP 524/524 MP 44/44

AP 10/20

*Cover (6) - You take damage in place of an ally.

*Antibody (4) - Prevents Poison and Venom.

Abilities:

Counter: Action Command - Counter attacks when physically attacked. Deals more damage than Attack.

Sword and Board:

Deflection 10 MP - Lowers damage taken for an ally for a duration.

Boomerang 4 MP – Throw's shield, deals physical damage.

Author's Note:

Open mouth, insert hoof.:rainbowhuh::facehoof:

I really need to stop posting these at three in the morning.