• Published 25th Apr 2012
  • 4,645 Views, 81 Comments

The Queen's Shining Armor - mushrumluver



Shining Armor and Chrysalis' Past

  • ...
6
 81
 4,645

New Beginnings

A week has passed since Shining Armor’s disappearance. The news has spread all over Canterlot like wild fire. Pony after pony gossiped and told other ponies about the sudden raid on carriage coming from one of the frontier towns to Canterlot. It was all over the Daily Canterlot’s headlines, the leading newspaper publisher in Cantelot. They had they headlines printed with Shining Armor’s picture and the caption “BANDITS ATTACK CARRIAGE, ROYAL GUARD DEAD!”

A picture of a burned down carriage was fitted into the front page of the newspaper. The picture was taken at night a few moments after the incident. The focus of the image was a wrecked wooden carriage, burned to be barely recognized as a carriage. Only a few parts managed to be keep their form intact despite the flame; one wheel, fragments of shattered glass, and bits and pieces of wood.

The news even reached the sensitive ears of a young Twilight Sparkle, who was then at under the tutelage of the Regal Princess of the Sun herself, Princess Celestia. At the first sprung of the news, Princess Celestia had to suppress Twilight’s energy due to her intense concern for her brother; her magic spilling all over Canterlot turning bricks into cheese, guards into toads, giving life to inanimate objects, enlarging and shrinking random objects around the castle; all because of her of desperate attempts to find her BBBFF.

A certain pink alicorn also grew weary, worried and restless after the sudden breakout of the news; unable to concentrate on her foalsitting, and her training in the royal courts. Similar to Twilight, she was also worried about Shining Armor, although she believed that the news was assumptive and false and hoped that Shining Armor is still alive somewhere, there were still doubts and what if’s lingering in her mind.

Shining Armor’s parents were also worried sick about the fate of their son. They knew that being part of the Royal Guards meant to risk one’s life. They accepted it the moment Shining Armor was accepted but it seemed it was hard to swallow the moment something has happened despite all the mental preparation they did by the time their son was selected as a Royal Guard.

It was grievous and grim for Shining Armor’s relatives and loved ones. For each passing day without news or updates regarding the said stallion was like slowly killing them. It was like a dilemma, they want to know but they don’t want to know that Shining Armor is dead; but they were all clinging to a small glimmer of hope that Shining Armor would come back to them, someday.


Two figures, both wearing a beige-colored cloak, were trekking together along a green grassy plain. The green grass swayed along the direction of the wind. The sun was already at high noon giving a warm breeze passing along the

grasslands. The clouds were big white and fluffy hanging on the great blue sky showing clear signs of a good weather.

“I told you, you shouldn’t worry too much.” A familiar female voice spoke from one of the cloaked figures

“I’m just too worried, I mean with his plan and all.” A male voice replied with his features covered by the hood of the cloak.”What if…”

“Shh,” the female voiced figured hushed her partner, interrupting him. The cloak slid down revealing a black holey hoof from her sudden movement. “We’re going to be fine, as much as I hated that stallion, he knows what he is doing.”

“I hope so,” he replied as he gazed on the bright sun above the skies.


~A few days back~

“So you’re Chrysalis Shining Armor has been mentioning.” A yellow pegasus said scanning the changeling princess from head to hoof.

“That’s Princess Chrysalis.” Chrysalis demanded the pegasus to address her with the title.

“Are you sure, this is the one?” Sharpeye turned to the white unicorn standing beside Chrysalis. “I mean you told me that she’s fun to be with, she always brings a smile to your face and she’s the one you want to be with. And right now, those descriptions don’t match.” The pegasus archer’s face was all skeptic.

“How dare you?!” Chrysalis stomped her holey hoof preparing to attack the yellow pegasus.

“Please forgive him, he’s always like that,” Shining Armor immediately stepped in breaking the two.

“Fine, I’ll forgive this imbecile for your sake and just this time,“ Chrysalis looked at Shining Armor. “I’ll be watching you,” She deeply stared at Sharpeye’s yellow red eyes with feelings of rage and malice.

Sharpeye stuck his tongue out continuing to mock the changeling princess.

“I hate you.” Chrysalis narrowed her eyes on Sharpeye.

“Kidding aside, what are your plans Shining?” Sharpeye’s expression turned serious upon the question.

“Well I was planning to go back to Canterlot.” Shining Armor replied feeling doubtful of his answer.

“You’re seriously planning on taking HER, along with you back to Canterlot?” Sharpeye answered questioning Shining Armor’s intent.

“Is there something wrong with it?” Shining Armor replied with a puzzled look on his friend's question.

“Being the Academy’s top graduate, you’re quite the genius.” Sharpeye answered with a bit of sarcasm. The pegasus sighed. “Heading straight to Canterlot is one sure way to end your ties with, “he paused for a moment “Princess Chrysalis.” He chuckled a bit afterwards.

“If I were only the head of the state, I would immediately behead this buffoon.” Chrysalis said slowly losing patience to the pegasus’ consistent mockery.

“You really have to forgive him, he’s really like that.” Shining Armor apologized on the behalf of his friend while stroking Chrysalis’ teal mane.

“You’re really a shining armor. in this case, my armor against her.” Sharpeye mumbled to himself. “Anyway,” his voice became clear again “I pretty sure things won’t go well if you go to Canterlot.”

“What do you mean by that?” Shining Armor asked with a puzzled look on his face.

“Come on, It’s not like Captain ‘Go Home and be a Family Stallion’ will easily approve and accept this.” Sharpeye answered with his voice becoming deeper while he was addressing the captain as a form of mockery. “And besides,” the pegasus rolled his eyes. “I think you know you who won’t take this easily.”

“I’m sure Twiley will understand...” Shining Armor replied, unaware to whom Sharpeye was pertaining to.

“The other you know who.” Sharpeye interrupted.

“Oh.” Shining Armor realized.

Chrysalis cleared her throat interrupting the two stallion’s conversation. “May I know who is this…” she paused as she raised her hooves mimicking the quotation symbol “You know who?” she stared at Shining Armor.

“It’s a stallion’s secret.” Sharpeye immediately answered before Shining Armor could even talk. “But I assure this hunk of a stallion is now yours, one hundred percent.” He grinned as he slung his hoof over Shining Armor’s shoulders.

“I’m watching you…” Chrysalis narrowed her green eyes towards the yellow pegasus with such disdain.

“Anyway,” Shining Armor turned to his friend. “What are you planning?

“Well, you have to die.” Sharpeye replied with a serious tone.

“What?!” Shining Armor jumped back surprised to hear the recommendation.

“Not really literally die,” Sharpeye shook his hooves hoping to clear the misunderstanding. “What I mean is, lay low, keep a low profile on the Captain’s and any pony who knows you and stay out of their sight. And the best way to do that is feigning death.”

“That’s just stupid!” Shining Armor argued. “My family will be worried sick, grieving and crying if I do that.” He paused, thinking of an alternative “Can’t I just appeal to Princess Celestia? I’m sure the captain can’t do much if the Princess herself approves.”

“No!” Chrysalis suddenly interrupted the discussion. “I will never bow down to Celestia!” she adamantly refuses. “I still have my pride as a changeling royalty and I just simply cannot fathom myself bowing down to Celestia, it was due to her proclamation that we were banished from Equestria to begin with.”

“But,” Shining Armor tried to voice out his opinions and reason with the two.

“Besides, I’ve seen how the captain does things.” Sharpeye interrupted Shining Armor as he recalled some events. “He’s ruthless and intimidating, even if the princess approves it, he won’t let it stop at that.” The yellow pegasus continued about several information about the captain of the royal guards. “Hidden from the general populace, he is more inclined in using torture, purge and forceful negotiations. I’ve seen it; after all I was part of the scout division during the academy days so obtaining information like this is like setting up perimeters and barriers for you.” Sharpeye finished with a proud tone.

“Fine.” Shining Armor sighed, reluctantly agreeing with Sharpeye’s plan. “But,” his heard jerked. “You have to tell my family about this plan. I don’t want them worrying about some false death about me.” Shining Armor added.

“Sure,” Sharpeye nodded in agreement. “But it may take some time since, they would surely jump for joy to see you and that alone would alert our ‘beloved’ captain; not to mention him seeing me snooping around Canterlot which makes it more suspicious especially days after the supposed incident thus defeating the purpose of the plan.”

“Okay okay I get it,” Shining Armor agreed seeing no other choice. “I just can’t believe I’m lying to my family like this,” He looked down. “It just seems wrong.”

“I know it’s hard but you have to understand,” Chrysalis caressed Shining Armor’s cheek staring deep into his eyes.

“It’s just that this scheming thing,” he held onto the changeling’s hoof on his cheeks. “It just seems new for me.” He reluctantly admitted. “I just don’t want to cause my family grieve over this.”

“And you think it wasn’t hard for me as well.” she blared at the white unicorn. “for pony’s sake , I—I—“ she couldn’t utter the next word still feeling the traumatizing events.

“I’m sorry” Shining Armor warmly embraced the changeling comforting her. “I believe in your plan,” he turned to Sharpeye with a stern look on his eyes. “Do it.”


Several hours have passed; the night grew still and cold after the passing of the meteors. Everypony was asleep, tucked and secured under the roofs of their homes. The village was under the watchful eyes of the local guards. The torches burned slowly as they give light to the empty streets of the town with a few armored guards patrolling the area.

The gates were always active, well lit and guarded. It served as the easiest access to enter and leave the town. Carriages from different parts of Equestria come and go by these heavy wrought iron gates. The guards ever vigilant in keeping check what goes in and out alert for any fugitives wanting to escape through blending in with the cargo, illegal imports and prohibited goods shipped inside of Equestria and those included in the wanted list for crimes against Equestria.

Slowly the gate creaked open, allowing a simple wooden carriage to exit the town. The carriage was basic; it had a plain box design with a few metallic reinforcements, with a window at each side. the carriage had room space good for two ponies to comfortable fit themselves inside. The wheel attached was also made of wood with a steel outer rim. Two earth ponies were stationed upfront assigned to tow the carriage towards their next destination.

Shining Armor’s and Sharpeye’s schedule to move out was pushed earlier due to a sudden recall order by the captain. From morning, they were ordered to leave the town immediately.

“Thanks to your marefriend, we were able to leave town during the night. With the night covering our tracks and making the act, courtesy of some of my contacts, more convincing, we might be able to pull this off.” Sharpeye whispered. The rocking and creaking sound of the mechanical parts of the carriage served both as filters and noise for the two stallions’ whispering conversation. “Hopefully, she’s trustworthy enough to pick you up after we pulled this through.” The archer pegasus’ words seemed doubtful of the changeling.

“She will,” Shining Armor placed his hoof over Sharpeye’s shoulder maintaining the low volume of this voice.

“I know I have been persistent, but are you really sure about this?” Sharpeye asked his friend one more time.”I mean we can ditch her and go back your family, to her, return as Royal Guards,” He reminded the Shining Armor the things that the unicorn will leave.

Shining Armor smiled. “Yes I am.” He replied and nodded with a determined look on his face.

“I guess there’s no stopping you,” Sharpeye shrugged. “By the way, will I still tell her about this little fiasco of yours?”

“I’m pretty sure she won’t take it easy the moment she finds out of this.” Shining Armor replied.

“Shall we begin?” Sharpeye asked.

Determined to start his new life with Chrysalis, Shining Armor nodded.


~Present Day~

“I just can’t believe that all went well.” Shining Armor still full of disbelieve commented on what they did a few days back.

“Do you have any regrets?” Chrysalis asked.

“I’m happy with this,” Shining Armor looked at his changeling partner. “How about you?”

“I still can’t forgive myself for doing that to my own kin but.” She paused and affectionately leaned over to Shining Armor. “As long as I’m with you, I feel at ease.” She stared deeply into Shining Armor’s blue pupils.

“Me too,” Shining Armor embraced the changeling princess with one of his hooves and pecked a kiss on her forehead. “Let’s find ourselves a shelter; we don’t want to spend the night outside.”

“Agreed.” She giggled.

“So far we were kicked out of every town for the past few days.” Shining Armor took out a map from his saddle bag hidden by the cloak.”After leaving we went straight here, here then here,” he crossed out three images of the map depicting a town.

“It is clearly not my fault,” Chrysalis shrugged.

“I don’t see how it is not your fault, we had our first lunch date and you suddenly jumped for joy upon dessert.” Shining Armor continued looking at the map routing their destination.

“I am simply enjoying myself, how is that my fault?” she argued back.

“Our cover was blown the moment you went ‘Huzzah!’ in public,” Shining Armor stood up packing the map back to his bag.

“How dare you say I went ‘Huzzah!’ on the pudding nor on the parfait,” she pressed her nose over Shining Armor’s face. “I did not say such thing, you hear me” She hissed.

“Okay.” Shining Armor replied out of fear, sweating profusely as the changeling princess pinned him down mentally.

“Good!” she released her hold on the stallion and turned towards the far end of the horizon. “So where are we headed to?”She turned back towards Shining Armor.

“I was checking the town nearby indicated by the map but there was also an abandoned farmhouse just in the outskirts of the town.” Shining Armor replied. “We could stay there while we slowly mingle ourselves in with the towns pony.

“Why can’t we just conquer and enslave them?” Chrysalis asked.

“Because, it is against Equestrian law to subdue, enslave let alone conquer a defenseless town.” Shining Armor sternly replied.

“Fine, we do it your way, again.” She groaned. “If it was me I would have had my army swarm in and take over.” She mumbled behind the stallion’s ears

The couple quickly set out towards the abandoned farmhouse Shining Armor mentioned. Upon reaching the farm, they saw a nearly broken down barn. The paint was already washed off, scrapped by the elements. There was also a broken down shed lying next to the barn. Other than the structures, the farm itself was dead as the barn. Untilled soil muddy and unfertile, with dead crops still planted on the soil. Weeds have already taken over the farmlands. Rocks and sediments scattered around the farm. The plow rusted through the ages and elements unused and unmaintained for several years. In one word to describe the farm it was dead.

“We’re staying here?”Chrysalis asked filled with disgust as she saw the place. It was filthy, there was no way that a changeling royalty such as herself could even dare to step hoof inside.

“As much as I am also disturbed by the place, we have no choice.” Shining Armor taken aback by the mere sight of the place and slightly inclined to agree with his partner’s disgust.

“No way!” she vehemently refuses “There is no way we are going to stay there.”

“We could at least tidy up the place.” Shining Armor replied hoping to find some way to convince Chrysalis.

“That thing is beyond repair, even swarm creatures dare not live there.” Chrysalis answered back.

Shining Armor placed a hoof under his chin trying to find words to convince the princess to agree with him until he felt a sharp poking sensation stabbing behind his back.

“Who in Equestria are you vermins trying tah’ steal mah’ Farm!” an old frail voice shouted behind them.