• Published 25th Apr 2012
  • 4,645 Views, 81 Comments

The Queen's Shining Armor - mushrumluver



Shining Armor and Chrysalis' Past

  • ...
6
 81
 4,645

Reflections and Decisions

The same bright sunny day beamed across town as it rises from the horizon, as if Princess Celestia herself ordered the fine weather they were experiencing in the few days. But the warm and bright glow of the sun oppositely reflected the gloom and puzzled mood of one certain white unicorn. Alone and thinking in his quarters inside the barracks, he tried to recall their heart-to-heart conversation with his friend last night and the thought of his dwindling performance in the duties. Shining Armor lay flat on the bed still confused about his steadily increasing desires to see Chrysalis despite it has affected his record. He closed his eyes and let out a huge depressing sigh. Slowly reopening his eyes, he could clearly see the wooden frame supporting the upper part of the double layered bed he was laying on. He then darted his attention to the drawer beside the bed revealing a picture frame of a young pink mare and a purple filly playing by the swing.

“What would you think of your brother now?” Shining Armor said with a weak smile on his face, he then looked back up reflecting on his recent actions. Recalling what Lieutenant Flash harsh words last night, he knew that the lieutenant was right, he is distracted, in fact too distracted. Though he refused to admit it at first it, deep down he knew that once he was with Chrysalis he loses track of time and his duties as a consequence.

“Hey there Princess Taker!” a cheerful voice suddenly came in greeting the puzzled stallion. Sharpeye came busting in the room with his usual cheerful grin. A yellow pegasus wearing a standard guardspony armor came barging in.

“What do you mean Princess Taker?” Shining Armor jumped up from the bed confronting his friend.

“Let’s see…” Sharpeye pondered around “During the academy days, you had Princess Cadence. And now you have this Princess Chrysalis.” He turned to Shining Armor with a playful smile. “If I were you, I’d change my cutie mark into something that involves around knocking Princesses.” He burst out into laughter.

“Shhh!” Shining Armor quickly muffled the loud pegasus with his hooves. “Somepony might hear us.” He then looked straight at Sharpeye “And for the record, Cadence and I were just good friends.”

“Relax…” Sharpeye slowly removed Shining Armor’s hooves. “Everypony already left for duty, we’re the only ones left, well technically you’re the only one left and I was called to drag you out.“ he then walked towards the exit. “I know we already talked about this last night but you’re really messed up in the head to even think of starting a relationship especially with a changeling and all.”

“I guess I really am…” Shining Armor replied with weak and faint smile on his face following his friend as they both exit their quarters to do their job.

Sharpeye suddenly stopped and turned around to his problematic friend. “You should consider yourself luck that I am your friend.” He sighed as he took a quick tap on Shining Armor’s shoulder “From what I heard from the local mares, there will be a meteor shower tonight.” He smiled “Although they did flock to me and asked me to see the stars together.” He boasted.

“Just get to the point” Shining Armor didn’t took a bit of liking to his friend’s boasting.

“What I’m saying is…” He came closer to the white unicorn “Take her there, do whatever you have to do.” He said calmly.

“But isn’t it too early for that? I mean we just a few days.” Shining Armor asked feeling concerned and uneasy to his friend’s suggestion. Although he always had the changeling on his mind for a few days ever since they met, he felt that their ‘relationship’ was still too premature to take it to the next level. In addition, he still was worried to the fact that he feared that Chrysalis might reject him for being a pony and all.

“Well,” Sharpeye rolled his eyes. “It’s up to you, but you have only up to this night since we’re going back to Canterlot tomorrow morning.” Sharpeye replied.

“What?!” Shining Armor was shocked to hear the sudden news. “But I thought we’re going to stay here for another month? I mean why?”

“I don’t know.” Sharpeye’s voice toned down. “The details are sketchy but orders are orders, I already received an official statement from Lieutenant Flash.” He took out a piece of parchment from his armor and revealed its contents to Shining Armor. “I’m quite surprised you still haven’t heard about it.”

“Even I am surprised about the whole thing” Shining Armor took the parchment from Sharpeye’s hoof by his magic and floated it on his eye level. His eyes scrolled left and right as he silently reads the whole order statement. He rolled the parchment and levitated it back to Sharpeye’s hoof after reading the whole thing. “It’s strange that the lieutenant would do such a thing.”

“I don’t know what in Equestria he is thinking.” Sharpeye sighed “But orders are orders.”

“Me neither, there’s something definitely wrong about this.” Shining Armor replied now puzzled with the sudden order. “As if…” a sudden realization struck him like lightning “It can’t be…”

He was now torn between two choices, to take his friend’s suggestion or to investigate the sudden change in protocols. Whichever between the two he would choose, it was filled with uncertainties.

If he did choose to tell Chrysalis how he really feels about her, he is still unsure if she also feels the same. Is he just infatuated with the new experience or is his heart really honest and true to him? Would it even work out if they did become a couple? Would all of Equestria accept them? After all he is a pony and a Royal Guard while she is a changeling and their princess if he might add. But whatever the result at least he can settle it in one day and if he did wanted to live his life with her then he had to give up his position as a Royal Guard. Such thoughts were plaguing the young guard’s mind thinking about this option.

If he did choose to investigate the reason for the sudden order, he had all to lose but he felt compelled that it was his duty. Not only will he lose the chance to tell Chrysalis his feelings, he might not see her again forever and he might be accused of treason if the investigation didn’t went well. it was all in the plain text of duty that he would do this.

Whatever his choice is, one thing is for certain he must choose and he wanted to do both one out of his new-found focus and the other is due to his duty.

“I’m going on ahead,” Sharpeye resumed his exit “They might think otherwise especially after your incident at the café yesterday.”

“Buck off!” Shining Armor instantly replied following the yellow pegasus from behind.


“Stay away from this Shining Armor she said, it’s for my own good she said.” Chrysalis blew-off some steam as she furiously threaded back and forth in her room. “Mother obviously underestimates me. I’ll show her that like in my past dealing that this is just the same, Use, abuse and discard.” Her tone seemed so full of determination and uncaring of the pony involved.

“Besides I’m sure that he’s not even interested in me.” She continued talking to herself. “He is a pony and I am a…” she paused and raised one of her holed hooves towards her eye-level. “…changeling.” Her tone quickly turned to a more depressing one giving a huge sigh.

Her mind stated to wander off from her initial topic. How did it become like this? Before she even met this stallion, she was all for the swarm. Town after town lies after lies and deceit after deceit. Did her meeting with the stallion made her soft? Is that even possible? What does this stallion have that made her like this? What made it unfathomable is that they just met a few days and now she is acting like this. Maybe it was he was the first pony to ever accept her as she is. Most of the ponies in her encounters are usually frightened and terrified to death the moment they saw her true appearance. or she revealed herself too fast that he became accustomed to her. Whatever the reason was it felt insignificant to her feelings towards the stallion.

Shining Armor this and Shining Armor that. It was all about Shining Armor until she shook her head vigorously to remove his images playing in her mind. She has a mission to carry out, topple down Equestria and subject it to changeling sovereignty. She tried to think of negative images of Shining Armor to rid herself with this preposterous thought.

“…”

She can’t think of any. She wanted to stay. She wanted to explore a whole new Equestria with Shining Armor at her side. She wanted both Shining Armor and Equestria but she can only choose one. Why does she have to be a changeling? If only she was only born as a pony, then things wouldn’t be so difficult and complicated. If only she wasn’t the next-to-be ruler of the changelings she could easily abandon her kin. The thought of abandoning her kind, leaving them without a ruler for the next generation, for the sake of one, ONE pony felt so excruciating, uncertain and painful. Twisting and turning her expressions was as the endless questions kept popping out of nowhere.

However in the recent days, by being with Shining Armor, she realized a life with no heavy responsibilities or burden, no lies and deceit. She can enjoy such sweet delights but only if Shining Armor was present. She could be like any regular mare that enjoys shopping, dresses, sweets and being with the stallion of you love.

Giving up something was a part of life, but the price of what she truly wanted was so heavy she could decide right now. “NO!” She told herself. She wanted to believe that she can still perform her mission even with the stallion at her side. She wanted to find out for herself. She wanted to put herself to the test. Her eyes burning with determination “I am Princess Chrysalis! I can do this!” she pumped herself with her strong words.

‘Knock Knock Knock’ three knocks thudded on the door the moment she finished her self-empowerment. “It’s me!” a familiar voice called from behind the door. “Is everything alright?”

Her eyes widened in surprised to hear his voice, of all ponies. What’s he doing here? Doesn’t he have guard duty? She quickly took a glance outside the window. The sun was no more to be seen between the mountains but it was shining bright and hot above the clouds. How long did it took her to do that whole monologue? She pondered.

Three consecutive knocks thudded again. “Chrysalis?” the concerns in his tone were growing.

“Yes! Everything is fine, you have permission to enter!” she poised herself.

The door slowly creaked open revealing a white unicorn peering between the walls and the door. He turned his attention towards the center of the room where Chrysalis was standing, always with her annoyed look staring at him. Still thinking about the things boggling his mind early morning, he hesitantly and slowly went inside quickly gaining Chrysalis’ annoyance.

“What?” she quickly ask after noticing he was taking his time entering the room.

“Nothing.” Shining Armor’s eyes rolled around the room getting all fidgety and restless. “How does Sharpeye makes this look so easy?” He thought to himself. “Have you eaten lunch?” he suddenly asked without thinking. He was now shaky and nervous after coming self-conscious of himself and his feelings.

“Are you joking?” Chrysalis found his question dumb and stupid. “Unless along the way you came across several drained ponies.” she added with a sarcastic tone and shrugged away from the stallion.

Shining Armor lightly scratched his head laughing faintly at Chrysalis’ statement. there was brief moment of awkward silence that filled the room as Shining Armor started collecting his thoughts. He took a deep breath to remind himself of what he has came here to do. He cleared his throat, renewed his determination, paced himself and mustered up his courage. Ignoring all the increasing heartbeats of nervousness he was experience at the moment “Would you go with me later this evening?” he said it.

The sudden announcement made her heart race. Her heart beat was getting faster and faster her cheeks redder and redder. “Is he asking me out?” she whispered to herself. She wanted to shout ‘yes’ but she felt like her throat was being blocked by some unknown force. She wanted to throw herself but her upbringing told her otherwise. “Just where exactly do you plan on taking me?”

“Well,” he scratched his head for a second “There’s this meteor shower later this night, and I was hoping that you would…” his cheeks were slowly turning red. “...come and watch it together with me.” He sheepishly grinned.

“| supposed I could put watching some useless rocks fall with you in my busy schedule this evening.” She smiled with poise starting at the young white unicorn hiding her excitement. Although she did thought of more exciting ways to accept the stallion’s proposal, this was enough, enough to send her message.

“Really?!” Shining Armor smiled in victory “I’ll pick you up by…” he paused trying to recall what his friend told him regarding the time that the shower will occur. “…seven?” Seven was the best time since the shower is said to happen by eight and with an hour as allowance, they can at least prepare for the trip or something he thought confirming his decision.

“Just make sure it’s worth my time…” she continued her poker face but still unable to contain a small smile leaking out.

“Don’t worry It will be the best night ever.” He said it with excitement and confidence. Shining Armor quickly left after saying his goodbye's and later’s resuming back to his guard duty.

Shining Armor continued to patrol around town feeling excited for later evening, trotting gleeful albeit weird for a guard on duty. Forget the investigation forget his issue with Lieutenant Flash he thought. He has decided to go home with Chrysalis if ever things would work out. He felt comfortable with his choice. He had a huge smile on his face full of hope and energy but somewhere inside he still had bits of nervousness he can’t shake out like during the day before he got accepted into the Royal Guards.

Chrysalis felt her will waning away, sapped like how she does her victims. Her effort to build-up her determinate simply faded away along with Shining Armor, but deep inside she felt a satisfying defeat smiling helplessly thinking about the new life she has decided upon. She slowly went towards the window and stared at the departing guard steadily pacing away and soon out of her sights. If only the circumstance would be kinder, but now she just realized something she couldn’t simply give the stallion up. Without notice, her black and twisted horn suddenly glowed an eerie green with an incoming message from her Mother.