• Published 8th Apr 2016
  • 353 Views, 0 Comments

The Crucible of Restoration - Golden Paw



Darkness has a habit of leaving it's taint. Even after the events of Princess Luna's return there are many old wounds to be healed and wrongs to put right. Twilight is tasked to undo the legacy Nightmaremoon has left upon the land and it's ponies.

  • ...
 0
 353

Chapter Twenty Seven

“The battle of ‘Dead Frost’ (as it has come to be known) was a terrible and long lasting conflict by pony standards. It would rage for nearly two weeks and was seen as an example of valour and villainy in equal measure.

The rams or ‘Arcanstri ’ as we later learned they called themselves, battered their undead legion against our shields and barriers nonstop for almost three days. I have never been one to fully trust in unicorn magic when it came to a fight, but even I was impressed by Shining Armour’s skill and determination.

I saw first hoof the kind of horrors that hurled themselves against that shield spell and found a new respect for our horned cousins as nameless terrors and ram mage alike were hurled back day after day.

Sadly, (as Luna had predicted) barriers alone were not enough to stop the attackers and it came down to hoof work, dirty hoof work by all accounts.

Thankfully I wasn’t in those first few skirmishes. I used to think fighting was an exciting and glorious act, mostly because Equestria had mostly known peace in my lifetime. The stories don’t truly convey the gut wrenching terror, nor the tragic ends of so many good people.

What I learned at the battle of Dead Frost was that war is nothing like the stories you hear. History books gloss over the nasty details, the desperate struggle where it comes down to the ‘you or them’ with talk of ‘tactics’ and ‘military manoeuvres’.

I’ve seen the fighting up close and it’s nothing to be proud of, good people who deserve better are cut down while the evil and base walk with their heads held high. Anyone who tells you war is a ‘Glorious act’ has never really been there in the thick of it.”

Extract from the diary of ‘Whirring Blade’ of the ‘Equestrian Twelfth Air unit.”


The silence was deafening. It smothered the cramped engineering section of the Bloomberg like an oppressive shroud. It wasn’t true silence of course, the background hum of the engines were there, but no one spoke. No laughing, no joking and no talking. All that was needed had been said.

Pip simply stared at his assigned work station. The readouts were all within normal parameters, yet he knew something was wrong. The very air aboard the ship was full of fear. It would start soon.

Orders had been given, directions and plans of action learned so there was nothing to do now but wait. The pressure continued to build, a growing tension that bubbled up in the pit of Pipsqueak’s stomach until he thought he was going to be sick. They were coming.

A sudden cough made him jump, but it was simply one of his fellows clearing his throat. Pip’s heart raced and several of the others grumbled before the expectant silence returned, heavier than ever. Any moment now the command to raise shields would be given and would herald the beginning.

Looking about himself Pip saw the other crew were just as absorbed in their own thoughts. Nervous ‘Gear Grinder’ was tapping his hoof on the floor, tap, tap, tap. ‘Chain Link’ constantly adjusted the dials of his works station, the clicking and whirring unnaturally loud in the thick air. I wonder why they keep going? What drives them to stick it out?

Pip spared a brief smile for Applebloom who was immersed in her own duties at the far end of the room. Even with a little more ‘girth’ around the middle she still looked as beautiful as the day he’d met her. Pip still wondered if it was going to be a filly or colt, but decided that if they lived through this then he really didn’t mind. It could be a griffon chick for all he cared if they could just get through the coming conflict together.

Pip found he couldn’t take his eyes off her, Applebloom’s red mane and that bow she insisted on wearing even when waist deep in machine parts. He wanted to fix her image in his mind, so that no matter what happened in the coming days Pip would always have her there with him.

As if feeling his attention Applebloom slowly glanced his way, gifting him with a wink that caused Pip’s heart sumersault within him. She smiled in a knowing way that seemed to say ‘everything is going to be okay’ without needing to say the words. Pip wanted to rush over and hold her, make sure she was safe and simply be with her.

Her gaze grew impatient and she motioned with a few hoof gestures that Pip should look back to his own station. With a massive effort Pip finally tore his eyes away and looked back to the screen just as a slight tremor ran through the Bloomberg.

Above the hum of machinery there was a growing sound of screeching and roaring. It echoed through the space, muted but still audible through the very walls. Several of the crew looked about with fearful glances and Pip shared their anxiety. The rams had come.


It was like a sea, that was the first impression Twilight had as she looked out from the bridge and saw the approaching horde for the first time. A cresting wave of shambling horrors and lurching abominations which poured onto the plains outside the city like a spilled bucket of rancid water.

She saw the sky darken as winged shapes of all kinds filled the sky like a storm cloud. There were thousands of them, crawling and mewling forwards as foul carpet crossing the expanse. Every so often a hulking brute would rise up from among the minions around it and roared at the sky with an agonised bellow. Beasts of amalgamated muscle and sinews towered over their fellows, waving mismatched appendages at the suddenly very thin looking line of defenders.

Twilight wished she’d listened more carefully to Luna’s warnings, now seeing her wisdom in the face the dire foe that marched upon the city. She would never have believed that so much effort would be put into making the abominable army that now closed in upon them. Twilight didn’t want to look too closely as each sight brought new horrors, each more repulsive than the last, yet despite her misgivings she couldn’t look away. The need to know her enemy driving her to examine the shambling horrors in detail.

Twilight studied the horde in all its morbid ‘glory’ even as the glittering shield of Cadence and Shining Armour begin to arise. The warm purple barrier flowed up from the ground, flowing up from the ground about the city limits and curving upwards until it swept past the windows and connected above the Bloomberg with a ringing note. The change in air pressure caused the airship to tremble gently before the frightening sounds of the horde outside were mercifully blocked out and Twilight allowed herself to finally look away.

From under their protective dome the world beyond was seen with a rosy hue and Twilight chuckled at the concept. We’ve all been kept safe behind a veil of sweetness and love, hidden from the horrors outside our lands.

She thought of the easygoing lives of Ponyville past, where their biggest fear was where the next cupcake was coming from. Twilight thought of the citizens, happy and joyful ponies without many real worries in the world.

Years now of being a co-ruler had, little by little, shorn Twilight of such perceptions. She’d seen the world beyond Equestria, some of it good and some of it evil. Twilight was coming to see just how big a responsibility rested on the princesses’ shoulders as royalty. To be a shield and sword for their people.

The image of a shepherd came back into Twilight’s mind and she looked at the Seed still clasped about her neck. It currently resembled what looked to be a shield, silvery blue and carved with intricate edgings. It has its own ideas, it thinks for itself. Twilight had first been suspicious of such when Elzana had said the Seed ‘liked her’ Am I just being used for something bigger and if so what is it?

“Celestia preserve us there’s so many,” Skyeye whispered with a trembling voice.

“Well she may just do that Sky, but only if we do our part as well,” Boldstorm added and Twilight wondered who, if anyone, Celestia looked to for divine intervention.

The outriders of the approaching army were closing rapidly, winged beasts along with several windigos drew near the glowing shield that surrounded the city. They darted and swooped, several of them even rebounding off the wall Shining and Cadence had erected like smouldering comets.

Twilight found her attention drawn again to the centre of the horde, where a metaphorical dark beacon shone with repulsive might. Unmistakable signs of powerful magic swirled like a tempest of rancid energy, clear even through the newly raised shield. It obscured some large figure so that she could only catch glimpses of a mighty figure within.

Peering closer Twilight thought she caught the outline of tremendous four legged shadow in between the frothing blackness. Massive circular curving horns, a monstrously barrel chest and a pair of glowing red eyes seemed to look right at Twilight. She felt a shudder of fear pass through her, as if the very soul of evil reached out and touched her.

Drawing her attention away, Twilight saw the imposing creature wasn’t alone in its power. Scattered throughout the masses were other rams, each one conveyed by some kind of creature or beast that circled the monstrous ram like a parody of a royal court.. Twilight saw chariots similar to the late Orzana’s rumbling across the snowy ground, while things that resembled giant morbid bats swooped and wheeled, casting their shadows over the marching minions below.

Looking back to her monitor Twilight saw the defenders spread out below the Bloomberg, regiments of crystal ponies interspersed with the far more mixed formations of the Equestrian soldiers. A tiny force compared to the host beyond, yet inspiring in its defiance.

Flights of Pegasi, griffons and bat ponies hovered in key locations while detachments of unicorns drew up behind units of heavy set earth ponies, zebra and buffalo. Equestrian and Crystal Fiefdom banners hung limply, the magical shield overhead calming the wind and only causing them to sway slightly.

Regiments and formations were assembled behind the magical protection like rings of a tree. They stood tall and proud, as if daring the tide of evil beyond to attack. Nor were they alone. Luna, was right there at the fore. She was addressing the assembled soldiers with great flourishes of her twin short swords. Although Twilight couldn’t hear what Luna was saying, it must have been received well by the way the soldiers all around her cheered regularly.

Twilight cast her gaze about for Celestia and finally saw her inspiring the aerial detachments. Celestia seemed to shine in the gathering gloom, the reflected brilliance bouncing off the crystal architecture all around like a light show. A small sun in the gathering darkness.

It was a sight to rekindle a little confidence in Twilight, even as she saw the massive horde begin to encircle the city like foul water about an island. No sustained attacks had yet struck the shield. Only the occasional undead creature threw itself at the defence before being hurled back smoking. The striking contrast between the ordered ranks of the defenders and the milling undead outside causing Twilight’s mind to reel.

Yet she felt a tiny proud smile forming on her lips, evidently Shining and Cadence had made some improvements to the spell in recent years. Twilight made a mental note to ask them about that when...if they won the day.

She couldn’t help but feel a wedge of doubt creep back in as the undead force completed its encirclement of the city and a sudden change swept over the braying army. Twilight felt the hairs on her neck begin to prickle as the muted screeches and roars died back completely.

As if in mockery of their own forces, Twilight saw the wall of horrors slowly form into ordered ranks of their own, standing stock still as if frozen. Even the airborne monsters stopped their restless circling, the swarms of undead flyers holding position a healthy distance from the shields.

“Looks like they’re waiting for some…..” Skyeye began before a huge roll of thunder sounded out across the plains. Several of the city’s buildings shook and those structures outside the protective bubble shattered into rubble. Smashing and crumbling with the sound of a thousand glasses falling, every structure beyond the defensive line the Equestrians had drawn tumbled to the ground as the shockwave rumbled forth. In a single thunderous instant the outer ring of the Fiefdom’s homes, towers and decorative arches were reduced to glinting shards that fell like dancing rain.

The noise and destruction wasn’t what caught Twilight’s attention however. Striding forward was the imposing figure she’d spied earlier. Easily the size of a standard house itself, came the shadow wreathed form of a ram. Its massive horns would not have looked out of place upon a fully grown dragon. Twilight felt the bile rise in her throat as with heavy hoof falls the beast advanced with an almost casual gait.The snow melted at its tread, turning into vile tainted slush and Twilight could even see the grass withering and dying at his tread. The massive form shimmered and danced, as if made of the same dark fire that Orzana had been filled with before he exploded and Twilight had little doubt that this was the true master of the horde below.

“Celestia! Luna! I see you hiding there behind your barriers and spells. Will you not at least do me the courtesy of facing me in person?” The towering ram called out in mock hurt, his voice rolling like the thunder that had just leveled a significant portion of the city. “You know why I’m here, there can still be an avoidance of bloodshed. Just give me the prize stolen by your little ‘puppet’ and I’ll call off my forces.”

Twilight felt the decking trembling under her as the Ram spoke and fought back the sudden fear springing up within. It was an impressive display of might, not only that but he’d called her a ‘puppet’. The doubts from before came back, but Twilight hurled them back, trusting and hoping that all that Equestria stood for would endure. As she did Twilight felt the Seed began to burn hotly.

Looking down Twilight saw it was glowing cherry red before blazing white hot. Closing her eyes against the glare Twilight expected cries of alarm and confusion from the crew around her, yet mysteriously none came.

Forcing open her eyes, Twilight saw not one crewmember had even given her a second glance, in fact none of the crew were moving. The world all around her had taken on a fuzzy air and as Twilight moved her hoof she saw trailing after images in its wake.

You are no puppet Twilight, but you do serve a higher purpose than you can understand right now.

A glowing ball of light gathered before her eyes and Twilight saw the shape of a pony standing before her. It held no details, like a doughy mockup of a pony made of white light, yet there could be no mistaking the general shape.

“Who? What?” Was all Twilight could stammer as the voice, which sounded like many voices blended into one, continued.

So small and innocent, yet with hearts greater than mountains. Ponies really are some of my best children.”

Even as Twilight watched the shape before her changed, becoming a buffalo and her mind froze up in confusion. The light was mesmerising, terrible and yet comforting all at the same time.

“What is going on!” Twilight shouted and was met by gentle laughter.

I just wanted to check in and see how you were doing.

“How I’m doing?” Twilight asked agast, “There’s an army of undead horrors about to attack our city, lots of ponies are going to die and you’re just checking in?” Twilight bellowed, the stresses of her last few months coming to the boil.

Well yes. You’re doing so well and I thought you could do with a little more encouragement.” The voice didn’t have a source, seeming to arise out of the very air or maybe even the walls of the ship. It felt as if every bolt and rivet was singing in their own way, adding to the voice. Even the very hairs of her own coat seemed to resonate and add to the chorus.

Twilight saw that the glowing figure had morphed again, taking on the imposing form of a dragon. The surprise began to fade and Twilight tried to think, “You’re the Seed?” The glowing dragon shrugged in a noncommittal manner.

In a way, then again what is a seed if not part of the tree that birthed it?

Twilight paused, her mind slotting concepts into place with admirable speed, “You’re the Tree of Harmony then.” The dragon changed into an eagle and Twilight was greeted by the sounds of clapping.

Closer, but still a little off the mark.

Twilight found her patience wearing thin with frightening speed, “Look I’m kind of busy right now, a lot of people I care about could die. So unless you have something useful to add or there’s a purpose to this...whatever this is then please go away.”

The glowing form became a pony once more and despite its lack of features seemed to be smiling at Twilight, “I understand you have a lot on your plate right now but don’t worry we have time to talk for a while.” The voice wasn’t harsh, in fact it sounded friendly and cheerful. Twilight could recall her parents talking to her in that manner when she was very young.

“Okay but please get on with it,” Twilight mumbled.

I mostly wanted you to know I was proud of you, in all the steps you’ve taken and decisions you’ve made. Yes you have stumbled a few times, but overall you’re heading in the right direction. I just wanted to assure you of that before you go into this trial.

Twilight snorted, feeling like she almost had a handle on something really important that was infuriatingly just out of reach. The voice sounded familiar, no more than that, it was like a voice she’d known a long time ago but couldn’t quite recall. It sent her whole body alive with tingling, yet even as she tried to remember where she’d heard it before the sensation faded.

“Well I’m happy someone thinks I’m doing alright,” Twilight eventually replied, feeling somewhat better than before. “I don’t suppose you could help us out a little here? I mean if you can do well this,” Twilight waved her hoof again to take in the distorted world around her.

I could, but where would it end? I can’t step in and stop every trial and difficulty otherwise none of you would learn for yourselves. How can you truly be free to act and choose if there are no consequences? The most growth comes when someone is challenged and forced to act for themselves. That is something no amount of words or explaining can teach.

Twilight still felt her brain swimming. A lot of this was going over her head, “You put difficulties and trials in our way? But...”

I think that’s about enough for now, just remember there’s someone cheering you on from the sidelines when things get rough.

“That makes no sense!” Twilight yelled and suddenly everyone on the bridge was staring at her.

“Your Highness?” Bold enquired and Twilight saw instantly that the world was as it should be again.

The hazy distortion was replaced by very solid looking walls of steel and bronze. The crew shared worried expressions and Twilight snorted, “Yes Bold I’m fine.”

“But your highness that’s the second time you’ve…” Bold began only for Twilight to cut him off.

“I said I’m fine Captain,” Twilight announced as she snuck a peek at the Seed and saw it was muted once more. You’ve got a lot of explaining to do little gem.

“Come now, can’t we settle this like civilised creatures?” The roaring bellow of the massive ram made Twilight jump, in the confusion she’d almost forgotten the undead horde gathered below. It seemed that only moments had passed while she’d been having a ‘little chat’.

There was finally an answering shout and Twilight redirected her view to the forces on the ground where princess Luna was trembling with anger. Storm clouds were swirling around her and little bolts of lightning flashed dangerously, “Enough ‘Ornex’! Enough of your games and mockery. Crawl back into the hole that hid you all these years or even better come here and let me teach you the meaning of civilised behaviour!” Luna’s own voice boomed back, causing the deck below Twilight to tremble.

The towering shadow stooped and Twilight caught glimpses of a smile full of sharp teeth before Ornex finally answered, “Ah there you are, I was beginning to think the fight had gone out of you.” He raised his shadowy head again and looked out across the assembled defenders, “Such a shame so many will die, all for a tiny trinket. Why not just yield it unto me? I promise that not a single citizen within your city need be hurt. Surely that is better than watching them all perish?”

“Still the same threats and lies, have the years taught you nothing?” Luna countered.

Ornex gave a theatrical sigh that sounded more akin to water rumbling below the ground, “Let it be known that I tried,” Ornex answered before his horns glowed a dark green. The wind blew and thunder crashed overhead before several traceries of black lightning struck the shield and caused it to crack and craze in several places.

Several groans were heard from all around Twilight before they quickly turned to cheers. Even as they watched the cracks were healing, the lines of damage regressing to leave the fragile barrier looking as strong as ever.

Twilight thought she saw the towering Ornex looked shocked for a moment and a great swelling of pride filled her heart, “That’s my B.B.B.F!”

Snarling, Ornex called down further strikes of dark power, yet as fast as he could hurl them the fractures and splintering reformed. Twilight saw an expression of apocalyptic rage pass across Ornex’s face, the veneer of calm assurance peeling away to show the boiling wrath beneath.

“Through unity, love and harmony we stand firm Ornex. Your dark magic is nothing compared to that!” Luna shouted smugly and several more cheers erupted from the gathered defenders.

Ornex, nostrils leaking dark fire, paused for a moment before fanged smile return, “We shall see.” With a toss of his head Ornex bellowed at the sky and the horde charged forward like a dark tide washing over a glittering shoreline.


“Another wave is coming in from the south Captain!” Skyeye’s worn out voice called down from the dome above and Bold grunted in acknowledgment.

“Redirect the covering fire to give our people some relief, batteries four through eight give our colts some room to breath,” Bold’s reply was clipped and steady, masking the weariness in his mind. “Four days, four days of almost non-stop fighting and still no end in sight….” Bold whispered to himself.

“‘Flight Seven’ is reporting mounting casualties Captain and are requesting fire support,” Gossip called out in an almost mechanical voice, his normally cheerful tones replaced by a dulled monotone.

“Tell them we will do what we can,” Bold confirmed with a wince, “It wouldn’t be much, our guns can’t be everywhere at once.”

He looked out of the windows and saw the battle in all its gory detail. Fighting had spread like fire all around the defensive ring the Equestrian’s had made, the ram’s minions throwing huge numbers of undead at the defenders every minute. Shining's shield, impressive though it was had crumbled. The glowing barrier had cracked under the relentless bombardment of spells and monsters before finally caving inwards like a buckling eggshell and dissolving. Then the monster’s had charged, the streets and clear skies had flooded with a tide of rotten flesh.

The exploding ‘wumphs’ of each hit scored by the Bloomberg’s cannons surrounded the airship like fireworks. The disintegrating forms of undead flyers littered the skies, transforming them into dirty smudges. Their collapsing bodies tumbled away, leaving trails of foul dark vapour in their wake.

The war for the air above the city was hardly one sided. The air was alive with Equestrians and monsters alike. Brave pegasi darted this way and that, knocking the flying dead out of the sky only to be cut down by their winged foes in turn. Griffons raked and clawed at the mismatched wings of flesh horrors, leaving them to tumble downwards to the fighting below.

Bold didn’t want to imagine what the defenders on the ground were going through, desperate skirmishes were being fought over every inch of ground. Ruined buildings echoed to the sounds of steel on claw as the defenders wrestled to hold back the tide of horrors pouring into the city.

He could almost picture the valiant stands made on mounds of glittering rubble, the charge and counter charge of Equestrians seeing the war shifted from one ruined street to another, only to drift back again as more defenders were pressed into the grinder. Bold didn’t dare count the numbers, nor fathom the scope of the casualties that must be resulting every minute.

“News from the palace, another charge is ready Captain, be ready!” Gossip called and Bold felt the tension in his chest.

He hardly needed Gossip’s warning, the glowing geometry of the city surged with magical cyan light before a wave of cleansing power radiated outwards from the palace. It billowed out like a pressure wave from an explosion and the undead were consumed as the dome of expanding energy reached them. Their vile forms briefly turned to crystal themselves before exploding in a cloud of shards.

Bold gave a huge sigh of relief as the sky was filled with the glittering fires, the lights of thousands of monsters burning brightly and thanked the powers that be that there was such a force for good in the world. He looked out at the freshed defenders, the wave of pure magic passing through them. Where it shattered the undead, it left the Equestrians revitalised, their coats and feathers shimmering with a crystalline perfection.

The wave passed across the Bloomberg and bent around the airship’s own shields, causing a rippling corona to dance across them. Bold smiled with pride, Twilight’s design was powerful enough to deflect even the crystal heart’s magic it seemed. Or maybe just wasn’t its true target?

Thinking of his princess, Bold looked to see Twilight still fervently studying each display monitor in turn. Twilight had a pair of headphones clamped over her ears and talking almost nonstop into her personal communicator.

Bold marveled at this. He had his hooves full simply directing the Bloomberg yet Twilight was organising and directing so much more. In the brief moments he’d been able to glance her way, Bold saw that Twilight had reams of logistic data covering her screens. It was a thing of beauty to watch as she coordinated and analysed the constant flow of information before sending out reports and details to the relevant recipients.

“We need more reserves brought up from the eastern front! No, I know the heart has cleared the area already but there are fresh enemy units coming lieutenant and Luna is going to be cut off if we don’t…. Yes that’s an order!” Twilight’s exasperated reply to whoever was on the other end showed just how much stress she was under.

That was another first for Bold and no doubt many of the Equestrian’s present, the Royal Pony Sisters were actually fighting alongside them. To see Luna and Celestia in battle was simply breathtaking.

Luna was wickedly fast, sweeping heads and limbs from the undead with every deft slash of her twin ebony black short swords. Lumbering mounds of flesh and ice exploded as lightning lanced out from her horn. Where she went the enemy were hurled back with merciless vigor.

Celestia couldn’t be more different Bold noted as he looked to the skies. She dived and swooped gracefully through the air, leading whole flights of defenders like a comet with a living tail behind it. With a glowing claymore held in Celestia’s magic, she calmly sliced winged horrors in half with each measured stroke of her blade. The foul beasts, again and again, were pierced to the core before they erupted in flames.

Where Luna’s magic shocked her foes and left them twitching, steaming mounds, Celestia summoned balls of fire engulfed and incinerated the undead, leaving nothing but wispy ashes in her wake. Fast and steady, calm and furious, the sisters both cast back the unnatural beasts wherever they were.

“It’s like watching a mythical story in real time,” Skyeye had commented when Bold had mentioned it.

“We’re living in mythical times now. Nevermind the past, we’re making history as we speak,” Gossip had said and Bold recalled that was the last time the unicorn had sounded like himself. The minutes had dragged into hours and then days, sapping all emotion out of Gossip.

Alarms blared suddenly and Bold felt his blood grow cold as Gossips monotone suddenly shattered into panicked shouts, “Sweet Celestia...it’s….coming right at us!”

The whole ship lurched and Bold saw several forks of dark lightning lancing up from underneath striking the Bloomberg’s shields. They held for a few moments before with a terrible shattering sound the bubble cracked then shattered. The Bloomberg trembled and several stations erupted in explosions of magical sparks.

Bold didn’t need to be told what had happened. The airship began to flounder in the sky, the dark shadow responsible for the attack soaring into view directly in front of the bridge. Ornex, on batlike wings of dark fire, arose and seemed to be looking right at Bold through the now cracked windows. Circling him were several rams riding their monstrous creations.

They were dueling with a frantic looking Celestia and Luna. Dark fire, solar blasts and apocalyptic lightning filling the already dirty sky with explosions. The Royal Sisters had seen the threat and now moved to counter it, but were being delayed by Ornex’s escorts.

The terror filled Bold’s normally stout heart as, with a malicious smile, Ornex raised a single hoof and sent a lashing tentacle of dark fire straight towards the now defenceless Bloomberg. It shattered the already weakened view screen, sending shards of glass spiralling in every direction and the bridge crew diving for cover.

Scared he may have been, but Bold still acted. He clearly saw the scrabbling limb of darkness was aimed directly at Twilight. His limbs heavy and his head ringing, Bold tried to throw himself into the path of the attack tendrils. He bellowed a cry of pure fury, but brave though it was, he couldn’t move fast enough.

He seemed to be moving as if through treacle, the very air around him slowing him down as the writhing and crackling lance of black fire reached out for Twilight. Bold felt the evil magic curling the hairs of his hide before it hurled him back with almost contemptuous ease. Boldstorm’s heavy frame was flung into a guardrail which bent and buckled before finally tumbling to the ground. His world spun and the last thing he saw before his vision grew dark was Twilight, now surrounded in a magical shield of her own, being wrenched out of her seat and disappearing through the gaping hole in the Bloomberg’s main view screen.