• Published 8th Apr 2016
  • 353 Views, 0 Comments

The Crucible of Restoration - Golden Paw



Darkness has a habit of leaving it's taint. Even after the events of Princess Luna's return there are many old wounds to be healed and wrongs to put right. Twilight is tasked to undo the legacy Nightmaremoon has left upon the land and it's ponies.

  • ...
 0
 353

Prolgue

‘Paperweight’ pulled a new form from the pile upon his desk and reviewed it dispassionately. The halls of Canterlot’s record’s department were normally full of such scribes and accountants, but for Paperweight his day was far from over.

He regarded this latest report by the gentle glow of an arcane lamp, its light casting a warm glow around Paper and his desk. The illumination failed to reach any further however, leaving the rest of the hall dead and dark. It caught ‘Paper’s’ normally pale orange coat and chestnut mane, giving them a far warmer hue in the amber light.

Unconcerned with the darkness Paper scanned the scroll and grunted before noting down some relevant details on the form spread out upon the table. The scratching of his quill was the only sound in the chamber, its task almost incessant as he worked it back and forth. He transferred the information without haste, his hoof drawing the quill along in an untroubled manner. It was as if the earth pony was happy to work until the end of time.

He finished the current review and shifted the spent scroll to a growing pile to one side. Without ceremony Paper lifted a fresh scroll from the opposite side of the desk and calmly unrolled it. His dull blue eyes appraised the parchment as they had done so many others and seemed unimpressed. With another snort Paperweight jotted down a few facts and went to place scroll with the others before something caused him to pause.

Slowly Paper glanced up to see that he was no longer alone in the hall, there was a figure standing just beyond the reach of the lamp light. By their build Paperweight guessed them to be an earth pony stallion like himself, but it was hard to make out. Late comers were not unheard of at this hour and Paper smiled warmly, “Can I help you?”

Paper peered at the figure, they looked to be a greyish hue but it was hard to be sure in the darkness around his little sphere of light. The newcomer didn’t move, didn’t seem to even blink and Paper felt a chill run down his back, “The record’s office is closed at this time I’m afraid, was there something else I could help you with?”

Still the stranger didn’t move his body completely still. The pony was standing between the other desks and watched Paper coldly. As Paperweight continued to study the pony he saw that their mane and tail were also of the same grey hue and..... their eyes; that was what was so unnerving about the newcomer Paper decided. They cast no reflection in the light.

You cannot help me but I may be able to help you,” The stranger finally spoke and the shiver along Paper’s back returned with greater vigour: If the eyes were unsettling, then the voice... It sounded like stone scraping on stone. As if somepony had given a stone casket a voice.

Paperweight swallowed and felt sweat begin to slide down his neck, “Help me? I don’t think so.”

The stranger still didn’t move but continued to stare at Paper with those black eyes which seemed to be just a little darker than the surrounding gloom, “Your work covers history yes? You’re looking for accounts of the Nightmare Wars and those who fought in it?

Paper felt reassured; despite this stranger’s odd manner he seemed acquainted with his work. Paper smiled, “Oh you’re familiar with my studies then? I must admit I was having trouble once I tried to get beyond ‘thirty two years P.L.B’. It seems the records get a little muddled at that point.”

The stranger finally moved. He gave a slow and purposeful nod, every movement definite and controlled. The same grating quality that filled the speakers voice also seemed to accompany his actions too, “Time wears away much even without the help of certain parties who would rather history was ‘clouded’.”

Paperweight felt his unease growing again. There was no moderation in the speaker’s tone; he spoke with no change in pitch or pace, like the automated recordings that were being used these days. No heart or feeling in the words.

“Well it certainly seems as if somepony has made a huge effort to erase any details of the climactic events of Luna’s banishment,” Paper said, his own voice sounding high and timid compared to his companion’s. The grey pony resumed its motionless regarding of Paperweight and the earth pony shuddered visibly.

Desperate to dispel the gloom that had settled Paper smiled weakly, “You would think there was some kind of conspiracy or something by just how thoroughly the records have ‘disappeared’.” Paper’s joking manner evaporated when the stranger didn’t join in his mirth.

Some things are better left unknown,” The grating reply came again and Paper steadied himself on the desk before looking at the shadowy pony just beyond his little world of light.

When no further explanation was forth coming Paperweight sought to fill the void, “Well you mentioned you could possibly help me with my report?”

Another silent pause greeted his question and Paper fought the urge to slide his chair back and bolt for the distant door. As if reading his unease the stranger spoke again, “Don’t be afraid, I will not harm you.

Paper grinned madly, “Well that’s nice to know, but you’re not filling me with confidence; maybe if you told me your name?”

The grey pony seemed to stiffen, which was an amazing feat considering just how still he was earlier and Paper sensed he had asked something uncomfortable. He tensed himself, ready to dart for the exit and freedom when the stranger raised a hoof.

You will know it eventually anyway I suspect so I may as well tell you, they called me ‘Impasse’. I served the Royal Thirty Seventh ground pounders,” Still there was no inflection in the other’s voice. He may as well have been announcing the weather for all the import he placed on that title.

Paper screwed up his face in confusion, “I’ve never heard of them, which province are they assigned to?”

They are no longer in service but I still may be of service to you as I said before. From what I understand Princess Twilight is documenting the Nightmare Wars and has asked you to compile all you can on the subject?” Impasse asked slowly.

Paperweight slowly nodded, it wasn’t a secret that Twilight Sparkle was doing just that. He glanced at his meagre records and then back to Impasse who still hadn’t moved, “Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated.”

Impasse slowly reached behind himself and produced what looked to be a scroll in the shadowy darkness surrounding him. Unlike Impasse’s own eyes the seal on the parchment glinted brightly and Paperweight felt his heart leap. “Is that the crest of old Equestria?!” Paper’s hooves trembled at the very thought and he raised his fore leg to reach out for the scroll.

The other’s reaction was sudden and unexpected. As Paper reached out Impasse took a few steps backwards as if in mortal terror of this humble clerk, the scroll being pulled back with the same methodical movements he’d seen earlier, “Do not come closer. I will leave the scroll on a desk for you to retrieve.

Paper was flabbergasted, “Come now, you said that you wouldn’t hurt me and I certainly have no desires to attack you. Why the sudden caution?” Paper watched with hunger as the scroll was placed on one of the distant desks and Impasse turned his black eyes upon him again.

It is for your safety that I tell you to stay back, it’s not worth the risk,” Impasse explained, halting his retreat and staring at Paper from the now deeper blackness.

“You carry some illness?” Paper asked; his desires for the scroll suddenly dulled by the threat of some plague or disease.

Nothing that will be a danger to you should you keep your distance from myself, the scroll is quite safe I assure you,” Impasse replied, even though his words were assuring, his tone still held a cold emptiness.

Paper creased his brow in confusion, “I don’t understand.”

Impasse stepped forwards slowly, the grinding sounds accompanying his every hoof fall. Paper watched in mounting horror as he emerged into the bubble of light and saw his fellow clearly for the first time.

Impasse was made of stone; his body was carved to resemble an earth pony in full battle armour of ancient design. Paperweight looked at the sharp fangs that protruded from Impasse’s top lip and the empty blackness where a normal pony’s eyes would have been: A darkness that drew him in and threatened to drown him in its cold embrace.

Now revealed Impasse stood stock still, no expression on his face and Paperweight shrunk back in fear and confusion, “Pray that you never do.