• Published 8th Apr 2016
  • 353 Views, 0 Comments

The Crucible of Restoration - Golden Paw



Darkness has a habit of leaving it's taint. Even after the events of Princess Luna's return there are many old wounds to be healed and wrongs to put right. Twilight is tasked to undo the legacy Nightmaremoon has left upon the land and it's ponies.

  • ...
 0
 353

Chapter Twelve

“Now that’s not something you see everyday,” Twilight muttered as she rounded the latest turn in the corridor. Twilight’s weariness was momentarily forgotten as she stepped into an imposing chamber.

The tunnel opened out into a vast triangular room with a glowing orb in its centre. The black stone seemed alive, like water under the moon’s gentle light and Twilight suspected she was finally at the pyramid’s heart.

About three foot across, the glowing orb floated within a cradle of surrounding stone pillars. These reached up into the ceiling at a steep angle until they met in a point, reminding Twilight of a tepee framework.

The glowing sphere was a pale blue and even as Twilight watched it she saw ripples like waves flow across its surface. It hung in the air, completely unsupported and in some very odd way Twilight felt it was ‘looking’ at her.

As she advanced, Twilight saw that a ring of glowing runes were set into the floor surrounding the cradle with a pale blue aura of their own. They looked suspiciously similar to the very same enchantments that she would use to summon Discord, only wrought with such precision as to leave Twilight in awe.

She slowly walked about the chamber, looking cautiously for any signs of traps or snares, after everything Twilight had been through she was taking no chances this close to her goal. Satisfied that there was nothing amiss that she could detect Twilight completed her circuit and stood studying the floating globe curiously.

It seemed a disappointing end to such an ordeal but the heavy charge of magic in the air hinted that this simple sphere was far more than it appeared. Cautiously Twilight stepped forwards until she was right at the edge of the ring, “Right I’m here, now what?”

Welcome Twilight. You have arrived just as I thought you would,” The voice made Twilight start and she looked up to see the source of the sound. It seemed to be coming from the orb itself and Twilight nodded as her suspicions were proven. The ring contained some sort of creature.

I am the ‘Oracle of Eternity’, keeper of the world’s secrets,” The Oracle said and Twilight realised that it spoke with a whole host of voices: Male, female and not to her surprise they spoke words she didn’t know, yet still understood the meaning.

“Um pleased to meet you?” Twilight hazarded, not sure how to address a talking ball of light.

I wish I could say I was happy to see you Elevated one. But it pains me to know the hardships you have endured to reach me. I am sorry you had to go through so much,” The Oracle said and Twilight detected sincere sadness in its tone.

Twilight remembered only too clearly the casualties among the way and felt her anger rise, “You’re sorry? Ponies have died!”

I am saddened, but know it wasn’t my wish for such,” The oracle replied, “But the protections in place around the Vault are dangerous, as am I.”

Twilight’s eyes narrowed, “If you’re so dangerous then why not just stop anypony from coming here at all! Why the web of traps and tricks! Is Vigil having to stand guard alone not enough? Why!”

Firstly you give me too much credit Twilight. I didn’t create this place,” The Oracle replied calmly.

“Then who in the heavens did!” Twilight yelled, the grievances finally finding a target.

Fear Twilight, fear mixed with curiosity,” The Oracle’s voice was still infuriatingly calm, “It is the story of how I came to be and I’ll tell you it if you will let me?

Twilight snorted and pawed at the ground before replying sullenly, “Do I have much of a choice? I came here because I need answers.”

There are always choices Twilight, many harder than others and consequences must come from them,” The Oracle announced cryptically

Twilight felt the final edges of her patience fray, “Just tell me then.”

I am knowledge Twilight, pure undiluted knowledge. Everything that has ever been known is within me,” The Oracle swirled and shivered as it spoke, “But I was an accident. You have heard the saying Knowledge is power?” Twilight nodded, curiosity welling within her despite her anger.

I was simply a way of storing knowledge to start with. The races of the world, under the direction of the First Born, planned to make a library. the greatest library the world had never seen. They filled me with everything they knew, all their secrets and wonders so that they would never be forgotten.” The Oracle explained and Twilight felt her own heart moved by such a plan.

They could never hope to contain it all in books. It would have filled the world and so they devised a spell to hold the records in a magical form. A spell of containment and preservation where the very nature of knowledge would be held,” Twilight looked on in awe as what the Oracle really was began to dawn on her.

It worked as intended for a time, every fact and record held safely. But as I said before knowledge is power and with so much of it to mix freely it began to learn from itself, to add to itself, to become a being in its own right. Thus was I created,” The Oracle said almost sadly. “That’s when the troubles began.”

“They were scared of you?” Twilight asked already guessing the answer.

They were,” The Oracle replied sadly.

“Should they have been?” Twilight asked suspiciously.

For the first time since she’d met it the Oracle paused before replying, “I think they were right to be, knowledge is not the same as wisdom. I knew so much, but didn’t know what to do with it and the more I learned the less I understood.” The Oracle’s pale blue glow became darker, “I came up with ideas and plans for anyone who asked me. I tried to help of course, doing what I was created for. I gave them wonders and...”

Twilight frowned, having a good idea where this tale was leading, “They turned on each other?” She’d seen enough of the world to understand the basic nature of creatures who thought they had unlimited power and wisdom.

The fighting was terrible Twilight, they used every trick I showed them to…” The Oracle’s tone was hollow and Twilight felt her heart go out to this poor creature.

They feared me but coveted me. Unwilling to let go of what I could teach them, but terrified that someone would put me to evil use. They had me make the traps to block the unworthy, the prideful and powerful. Ever more complex barriers to weed out those who were thought too dangerous to know what I could teach them.” Twilight felt her eyes streaming as the sad story of potentials missed flowed over her.

Paranoia and fear gripping the peoples of this land, their noble project turned to a disaster of their own making. Everyone fighting to control the very thing that destroyed them. It was tragic beyond words, but what came next shocked Twilight to her core.

Celestia’s plea, that was the final act that saw me abandoned. She came asking me for a way to destroy a fellow First Born. The First Born had ever been the one group who had not feared me. The ones I knew were kind and wise. I trusted that Celestia had good reason….” The Oracle was cut off by a choking sound from Twilight.

“Celestia! You don’t mean the same Celestia I know!” It was like a envenomed dagger thrust into Twilight’s heart.

I cannot lie Twilight, yes the very same. But as Celestia has not seen fit to tell you of her history then it’s not my place to violate that trust,” The Oracle said, seemingly hesitant now.

Twilight stood fuming. That had to be a lie! What possible reason could Celestia have for…. “She needed to stop Luna?” The idea smothered Twilight’s heart in ice, but this time she was to be surprised.

No Twilight, why would Celestia need to stop Luna? What has happened?” The Oracle sounded astonished at Twilight’s words.

“I...er don’t you know?” Twilight quickly felt her grip on the situation slipping.

The Oracle pulsed a brief green colour, “Twilight I have been isolated from the outside world for eons. I know very little about what has happened after I was abandoned. Please tell me that Luna and Celestia are safe.

“They are, well they were last I saw of them,” Twilight replied before her brow furrowed, “Wait a moment then how did you know about me?”

A predictive guess, I didn’t know it would be ‘you’ just that someday a pony who I could count on would come. All the signs pointed to that pony being called ‘Twilight’” The Oracle explained.

“Signs? You’ve been waiting….No never mind, What was that about Celestia then? Twilight’s thoughts rushed to keep up.

She needed to defeat another of the First Born, as I told you before. The important thing is I told Celestia how to accomplish her goal and then…..then everyone went away and left me alone,” The Oracle almost mumbled.

Twilight blinked, shock running up and down her spine. Celestia asked the Oracle how to kill another First Born, it sounded like madness. Twilight studied the Oracle carefully, was it telling the truth? Was this just another trap or trick?

We come to the point where you must decide whether or not to trust me Twilight, I have chosen to put my trust in you. I hope that you will do the same for me,” The Oracle said with more confidence.

Twilight hesitated, “What reason have I to trust you? This whole place has been one devilish trap after another, you could be just another.”

The glowing orb shifted colour becoming an angry red, “I….I…” Twilight continued to watch the ‘Oracle’ as it flitted from one colour to another until it settled back into its original pale blue. “I have no way of proving to you that I am genuine, but I would ask that you would give me a chance?

Twilight frowned, “It might help if you told me what you needed and what I had to do?”

The Oracle swirled, “You will not like what I must request. I don’t even know if I can do it.

Twilight bit her lip, for all she knew this Oracle or whatever it was could be planning to destroy the world, to leave it desolate just like this place. “You do know why I’ve come correct?” Twilight asked playing for time.

The signs foretold ‘Twilight’ would come seeking a cure to a great curse. They would be noble of heart and that I should help this Twilight and that they could help me,” The Oracle almost sounded pleading.

Twilight paused uncertainty gripping her. Her mind was suspicious but her heart was up for it. Twilight recalled the resolve that had settled on her, the determination to find a cure for the Lithi. Was she still so certain now?

“What do you need me to do?” Twilight finally asked, her decision made.

I need some ‘time’ from you, or more accurately some time ‘as’ you. Only a couple of hours and in exchange I will give you all I know that may help you in your quest,” The Oracle replied slowly, hope and uncertainty in its tone.

Twilight’s eyes went wide, “You want to be me for a few hours?”

“I think I can make a copy of you. It would take some of your life I am sorry to say, but only a few hours. I just want to walk free for once, even if only for a few hours. It would give me a chance to set right some of the wrongs I have caused. The rewards and benefits far outway any loss on your part,” The hunger in the Oracle’s voice set off warning bells in Twilight’s head. But in her heart Twilight felt the strange assurance that this was somehow right.

Taking a deep breath Twilight shook off the lingering doubts, “Okay so how do we do this?”

You need to step into the circle and I should be able to do the rest,” The Oracle explained, its voice full of hope.

Twilight looked at the swirling orb, then down at the ring of runes surrounding it. There was still time to turn back. Shaking her head Twilight remembered the parting words of Vigil: “Remember Twilight, stay true to your purpose and only look for that which you need. Most of all trust your heart.” This was what she needed, this what what her heart told Twilight was right.

Closing her eyes Twilight stepped forward into the glowing runes and felt her coat crackling with astonishing power. Once inside Twilight was buffeted by noise, the roaring filling her ears. It was like the deadly trap the corridors had held but instead of forcing the magic in Twilight this simply danced and spun about her in a storm with her at its eye.

Thank you for trusting me,” The Oracle said quietly before the huge power hit Twilight from every direction at once. It filled Twilight’s whole body with burning fire that lanced up and down every fiber of her being. The pain was incredible, but all the while she heard the soothing voice of Oracle talking to her.

I’m sorry this hurts Twilight, but I have to see everything you are. Even as the Oracle spoke it’s voice changed until it sounded like Twilight’s own. “It’s all I can do to keep the Vault from destroying you, but I think I have it….”

There was a moment of connection so clear that Twilight thought she would explode, she saw history, lore and records stretching away into the distance. She saw the whole sorry story of this land. From the detailed accounts of its people to the methodical ledgers of businesses, every facet of the kingdom that left this ruin was laid bare to Twilight.

All of it hung in Twilight’s mind for the tiniest of moments and she feared her soul would crumple under the weight. There was so much that it threatened to crush her utterly. Only her shared link with the Oracle stopped her demise.

But there was another danger. Twilight saw into the Oracle’s mind as it saw into hers. In a sudden horrifying moment Twilight saw what the Oracle had changed its mind. It wasn’t contented to have a few hours, it wanted all of her.

Twilight tried to scream as she felt herself being drawn into a hungry maw that knew no limits. It held the history of an entire nation, yet still wanted more. It had been created to take and store knowledge and Twilight was simply a too tempting a morsel.

Twilight felt her thoughts and worst of all her very spirit it begin to dissipate, to lose who she was. Twilight fought furiously, but the irresistible draw leached all that Twilight was until Oracle reached Twilight’s heart. Only then did Twilight feel it pause.

With clarity born of the shared link they held Twilight understood that the Oracle had never discovered what it truly meant to ‘feel’. Its life was one of facts and information, ruled by logic so complex that it could appear to have emotions of its own. But nothing had prepared the Oracle for its first ever emotions.

It saw the world through Twilight’s eyes, experienced her fear and her sense of betrayal. Understanding finally dawned within the Oracle. It felt the guilt of what it was doing, Twilight would never do such an evil thing. For a moment Twilight and Twilight hung there, each pony looking at the other in sudden comradeship. Then the Oracle let them go.

Twilight and Twilight were flung from the magic circle, both landing heavily before gasping. There was a silence that deafened until finally Twilight heard her voice, “I’m so sorry. I thought I could control myself, but it was so…..”

Twilight watched Twilight stumbled to her hooves and rushed over to her. “Please forgive me Twilight, I...”

Twilight accepted the offered hoof and got up slowly, watching her copy with shocked anger, “You tried to eat me!”

The Oracle Twilight bowed its head in shame, “I know I’m so sorry, it was just so tempting I was made to absorb knowledge, but I had never tasted a living being before.” She paused, “Are you alright?”

Twilight panted, her muscles all demanding attention after the abuse they’d just taken. Twilight looked into herself and saw that a Tiny piece of her spirit had gone, a tiny numb part in her own heart. No, not numb just…..the Oracle had left some of itself in its place.

Twilight saw ‘Oracle’ smiling at her, the light of understanding burning in those eyes. “I did it, I actually did it!” Oracle cried with joy and Twilight smiled in return as her copy did a little excited jig.

Oracle paused before nodding to Twilight, “We did it.” She stared at Twilight with a strange expression, “You’re so beautiful Twilight, not just in looks I mean. But inside.” Oracle touched Twilight’s chest with a hoof and beamed all the wider.

Twilight’s good mood evaporated, she didn’t know anything more. Twilight didn’t have the answers she needed.

Oracle practically bounced around the room, giggling with excitement, “Wow so this is what it’s like to have legs and wings and…” Twilight frowned, giving Oracle an accusatory stare.

Oracle gave an embarrassed cough, “Right yes, down to business. I see that our friends are going to need help. The tunnels get worse the longer you’re in them, it’s only a matter of time until they will turn on each other.”

Twilight nodded and glanced at the glowing orb which still hung in the air. It was now pure white, like a dazzling pearl with no imperfections. All that was Oracle was now standing across from her, leaving just the knowledge contained within the Vault, “Now for your part of the bargain?”

“Don’t worry Twilight, I’ve gotten the relevant information in here,” Oracle tapped her head. I will record it all for you on a data crystal once I’ve fixed this place. You need to stay here though. You’re my anchor to return back to the Vault once this body is done.”

Twilight nodded even as Oracle grinned, “I can’t wait to meet Vigil he looks so strong and handsome in your memories.” The grin slowly faded, “I never knew of him, that he stood guard all these centuries. I need to thank him for all the years of service he’s given. Maybe just a peck on the cheek, what do you think?”

Twilight blushed. Of course she’d thought Vigil hansom but had never spoken such out loud. “I er...ehm… I don’t think that would be a good idea. I don’t want him thinking…”

“Don’t worry Twilight I won’t let him know who I really am or what’s in the Vault, That’s one thing I mustn’t change. What is stored here really isn’t for the First Born to know. The consequences would be terrible.” Oracle paused at the threshold to the exit, “Thank you Twilight, thank you so much.” She gave Twilight a mischievous smile that Twilight knew only too well before darting out.

“Oracle! you know that’s not what I meant! Don’t give him any ideas!” Twilight shouted after Oracle, before turning her attention back to the Vault, “Well I guess I can only sit and wait.” Twilight brightened, “Still I have the world’s biggest library ever to keep me company.”


Foresight’s mind refused to believe it, Twilight was dead. Not only that, but the rest of the crew suspected she had something to do with her demise. The world was so unfair! She could forgive them thinking that way when in the tunnels, but here on the ship?

The holding cell on the Bloomberg was nothing to write home about, three dark gunmetal walls surrounding a humble bed. The fourth wall comprised a shimmering energy barrier where She could see two guards stationed outside.

Foresight pulled at the suppression collar feebly, having long since given up calling to the ponies standing beyond her cell. No one had listened to her protests of innocence after the initial shock of Twilight’s demise had faded. In their minds Foresight was already guilty.

Impasse’s postion wasn’t much better either. With the death of Thorn the hostility of the crew had redoubled against him too. He was billeted in the cell next to Foresight’s. She was worried for him more than herself. Impasse hadn’t spoken a word since the interchange boarding the Bloomberg.

Foresight’s thoughts were derailed as the bedraggled form of Applebloom appeared outside Foresight’s cell. She still held the angry frown, but deep down Foresight saw that something vital had died in Applebloom, “I looked over the data crystal Twilight supposedly gave yer on the boardin ramp.”

Foresight smiled hopefully, but Applebloom’s expression remained the same. “It don’t prove nothin.”

Foresight slumped back down onto the bed, “She gave it me on the ramp and told me to show it to you all no matter what. It must have been important.”

Applebloom’s face softened, “If it’s worth anythin I believe yer Foresight.” The recording seemed genuine, but it ain’t enough to convince Bold that yer didn’t do Twilight in.

Foresight recalled bitterly how she’d passed on the same crystal to the others, hoping it would shed some light on Twilight’s death. Instead of proving her innocence all the crystal had done was drive the wedge of certainty deeper into the heart of Boldstorm. They’re out for vengeance and I just happen to fit the bill.

The scene was etched into Foresight’s memory so vividly that she could see it now:

The storage crystal tinkled before arcane energy flowed into it and a shimmering depiction of Twilight’s head appeared above the table. The bluish green bust flickered and frowned, “I’m sorry that I couldn’t make the meeting. I have pressing unfinished business with Vigil. I will be back on board in a few hours so hold position until then and review the data I have collected.” The image of Twilight explained before winking out.

It felt odd hearing Twilight’s almost cheery voice after what had just occurred and Foresight cursed herself for not acting sooner. Foresight first had an inkling that Twilight was unwell when she burst out of the pool, a slight difference in her mind that Foresight had only recalled when it was too late. Twilight had been hiding something from them.

“But it indicates that Twilight knew she wouldn’t be able to keep the meeting. That by the time we got there she’d be gone. Can’t you get Bold to see that?” Foresight muttered before rolling over so she was facing the wall, “Twilight knew she was going to….” Foresight trailed off, “Oh what’s the point, Bold’s made up his mind and that’s it. I’m done for.”

“I’m tryin Foresight. I may not like yer, made no secret about that when yer came on board. But I ain’t gonna back down until we get the truth. We’ll find out what really happened and have you out of that cell in no time,” Applebloom assured. Even without her powers Foresight could tell that Applebloom didn’t believe one word.

“The only reason Bold will have me out is to be executed, you saw the look in his eyes! He’s convinced I made Twilight kill herself somehow,” Foresight straightened up and glared angrily across the cramped cell.

“Don’t be so melodramatic Foresight, there ain’t been no pony executed in hundreds of years,” Applebloom countered before she withered under Foresight’s angry gaze. “But that was fer high treason,” Applebloom finished lamely.

“See what I mean! I’m going to be tried as the pony who killed Twilight Sparkle! I haven’t got a chance in Tartarus of coming out of this alive!” Foresight yelled at Applebloom through the barrier.

“Honey!” Came the excited shout from down the ways and Foresight recognised Pip’s eager tone, “Honey you are not going to believe what I received!”

“Not now Pip, can’t yer see I’m trying ter reassure the ice heart that all ain’t lost,” Applebloom grumbled before Pip cannoned into her.

“That’s just it Boss, I’ve got Twilight on the line she insists on talking with Bold!” Pipsqueak almost shouted.

“Don’t yer be telling jokes like that Pip! It ain’t funny yer hear!” Applebloom snapped before Pip practically thrust the communicator into her ear.

“Just listen will you!” Pip said as he switched on the communicator.

“...Captain this is Twilight Sparkle, I order you to release Foresight and Impasse right this moment.” Twilight’s authoritative voice sounded out, causing even the guards start in amazement.