• Published 24th Oct 2014
  • 524 Views, 1 Comments

The Tyrant - Golden Paw



'Star Oak' is being oppressed by a orange mare who rules his every move, but has a cunning plan to subvert her and get his prize!

  • ...
0
 1
 524

The Tyrant

The sealed tin, the goal and bearer of sweet treats was up there. ‘Star Oak’ peered at the mountain of white metal across the vast tiled floor and scrunched his muzzle up in concentration. The looming wooden cupboards, all stained a warm shade of brown stretched away either side. Their lovingly carved heart and apple shapes, though pretty, offered no easy hoof holds to speak of.

Star glanced back towards the main room and saw the orange coated ‘Tyrant’ was still asleep. She’d been working hard in the big tree field all day and now was gently resting on the family sofa, her blond tail swaying slowly as she no doubt dreamed of further chores to give him.

Star Oak didn’t understand, why couldn’t all the cookies be for me? The Tyrant said she made them for me and had been evil enough to let me taste just one. Star’s little turquoise eyes drifted back to the metal box high up upon the fridge, his mind filling with the sweet memories of intoxicating smells and the crumbly taste of those cookies. He licked his lips before beginning his attempt.

Slowly but with determination he placed one brown hoof in front of the other, sidling along the wall as he tucked his leathery wings away and allowed his back to press against the smooth planks covering its surface. He slipped past the polished boards, taking no notice of the skillful and heartfelt work put into such a humble decoration.

The first stage was to get past the doorway and the Tyrant, after that it would be a clear trot to the wash bucket. Star double checked the worn wooden container was still in the corner, it's vital mop nestled within. He grinned, revealing a pair of tiny fangs, as he saw the long handle leaning up against the cupboard; neatly tucked into the corner where the sideboard met the wall. There was his point of ingress.

A mumbling sigh caused Star to freeze and with ears flattened he slowly peaked around the door frame. The Tyrant had rolled over, her loose mane now spread out across her neck and shoulders. Star stood there for a long moment as he watched her freckled cheeks and twitching nose. Had she heard him? Smelt him?

Star shrunk back as the Tyrant groped blindly with a well worn hoof and blearily grabbed her hat before setting it over her face. Star felt his heart race as the Tyrant began snoring gently, her chipped and worn hooves laid by her sides.

The moment of fear passed, the Tyrant was still blissfully unaware of Star’s presence. With a quick motion that would make his dad proud Star crawled along the floor before straightening up against the far door frame. Why had Dad aligned himself with the Tyrant? I mean she was always working, doing the washing and cooking the meals? That didn’t sound like a fun playmate.

Star’s eyes drifted back up to the tin and its contained treasures, his mouth watering at the thought. Well maybe it’s because she made such wonderful treats? The frown came unbidden and soured the pleasant thought; yeah made them and then hid their crumbly goodness up on the fridge.

His thoughts refocused, Star left the Tyrant to her nap and reached the bucket in a few quick bounds. He raised himself up and peered over the lip to see there was water inside and cursed. That would cause problems. Star glanced up at the distant worktop which seemed further away than ever and frowned, If only I could climb things like Dad. Dad could hang upside down from trees, Dad could walk on walls but said that Star was too little to do that yet.

Experimentally Star sat on his rump and placed his rear hooves on the wall. He tried to grip it, he willed his hooves with all his might, scrunching his eyes tightly shut and forced his hooves to hold on.....Nothing.

Before he could stop himself Star let out a grunt of anger and heard the Tyrant stirring from the next room. Quick as a shadow, Star was pressed against the door frame once more and snatched a quick look at his overseer. The Tyrant had rolled over, showing her back to the room and revealing the three red apples on her flank: Another thing that won't work until I’m older, like my wings. Dad could have just flown up there.

He waited but the Tyrant didn’t stir further and Star wiped his brow with relief. He turned back to the task at hoof. The cookie tin seemed to smile mockingly down at him and Star felt fresh determination flood into his soul. No simple bucket of water was going to get the better of him!

He regarded the mop’s handle again, maybe he could climb that instead?


Applejack blinked slowly before shaking her messy mane out of her eyes. She’d felt stiff and sore before lying down; but the floors gleamed and the laundry was done. Lifting her hat Applejack glanced at the clock and snorted angrily, she’d only wanted to catch a quick power nap before starting on dinner.

Rolling over slowly Applejack heaved upright before staring down at herself. Her mane was a mess, her hooves were rough from all the work and further down she noted the slight bulge in her midriff: Little Apple number two was on the way and she sighed contentedly. ‘Shadow’ had insisted she take it easy, but there was no way in Equestria she was going to let this latest addition to the family slow her down.

Applejack lent forward and felt the slightest ache in her hips, well maybe just a little. She looked about her home and felt rightly proud, all the efforts had been worth it. This new ‘youngun’ was going to have a great life here. Her mind raced to little Star sleeping upstairs and smile formed unbidden, “Eyup AJ yer doing just fine.”

Shaking her head again Applejack pulled back her mane before quickly binding it with the ribbon laying on the nearby armrest. She smiled again as she saw the pale green furniture, all hoof carved and sewn by the Apples themselves. Granny had done the coverings, Big Mack and Applebloom the woodwork. It was rewarding to see their efforts all coming together.

She allowed her gaze to sweep across the pretty red curtains, the various ornaments covering the tables and further out into the gardens beyond the windows. This was her family’s lands. She.....

The sudden sounds of clattering from the kitchen caused AJ’s ears to snap up, they further pressed down when she heard a terrified squeak. All thoughts of self congratulation vanished as Applejack galloped into the kitchen and.....smiled.

Before her was her son. The little colt was clinging to the mop handle which had begun to tip away from the wall and was wobbling vertically in its bucket. Star’s little eyes were wide with panic and his tiny wings were spread out as he fought to stop his perch from toppling over. He looked pleadingly at her with a slight tremble in his lip and Applejack felt her heart melt.

“Now what have yer been up to huh? I close ma eyes fer two minutes n yer go n get yerself stuck like a scarecrow on a spit,” Applejack was quietly impressed, the little foal was doing an admirable job of keeping the mop handle stable.

She smiled again as his fearful eyes looked to her with pleading and reached out a hoof, “Come on darlin, yer know yer shouldn’t be climbin yet. What did Pa tell yer about that huh?”

Rescued from his peril Star hugged his mother tightly and buried his face in her chest, “Now there, there, no harm done see. What in blazes were yer tryin ter do anyhow?” Star’s eyes lit up. He pointed a hoof at the cookie tin on the Fridge and Applejack instantly understood.

“Well that’s what yer get fer not obeyin yer ma, I said ya could have one a day n I meant it,” Applejack scolded gently. She smiled as Star’s little face frowned and he folded his fore hooves, “Don’t yer be givin me that look Mr. It didn’t work yesterday n it won’t work today neither.”

Applejack winked at Star, “As we’re here how’s about we make yer some dinner instead. Much more fillin than one of them treats.”

Star gave her a disbelieving look and Applejack laughed softly, “I recon we still have some celery left over from yesterday n I have a hungerin fer some proper grub, yer in?”

The tongue that stuck out at Applejack said it all, “Fine then I’ll have some and yer can just watch.”


The Tyrant munched her nasty sandwiches with a knowing smile and Star glared back at her with determined resolution. He was not going to admit that the food she was eating actually smelt pretty good. She certainly seemed to be enjoying it.

She placed him in his chair and to add to Star’s humiliation had even strapped him in for ‘safety’. He knew what this was all about and cast a longing glance at the still distant cookie tin.

“Yer know, this is probably the best tastin celery sandwich I have made in weeks Star. Yer sure you don’t want some?” The Tyrant was goading him now, but Star was on to her wily ways and turned up his nose at the offer.

As if in treason Star’s stomach gave a little gurgle and his mouth began to water despite his best efforts to prevent it. The Tyrant grinned as she stuffed another delicious mouthful and began chewing it with every sign of enjoyment, “Well I ain’t gonna let this go to waste so if yer don’t want it....”

Her foreleg was brushed aside as Star grabbed the sandwich with both hooves and took cautious sniff. Star frowned at the Tyrant again before nibbling the bread, ready to throw it away instantly. To his disgust it was actually pretty good. Well the Tyrant can have her small victory today, there is always tomorrow.

The End.

Comments ( 1 )

That was great. i liked this small story. I hope more are published like this. It was nice reading the little stories the children had growing up.

Login or register to comment