• Published 15th Oct 2014
  • 4,064 Views, 58 Comments

Becoming Twilight - Lucky Stars 0135



I suddenly woke up as the fictional character Twilight Sparkle. Is this the best dream ever or something much more.

  • ...
3
 58
 4,064

Chapter Five: Practice, Practice, Practice!

Up the stairs I went, trotting quickly out of sight as I heard the concerned calls from below.
How could I forget the hot sauce joke in episode one?

I couldn't believe that I'd fallen for it after having known about it in advance.

But it had been so long since I watched season one, it wasn't difficult to believe that I'd miss a few details.

I didn't even know where to find the elements...

I racked my mind as I trotted up the stairs to the little bed room, I could see that out luggage had arrived safely from Canterlot.

Heaving a sigh, I threw myself onto the bed.

Suddenly it came to me, the only place the elements could be was at the castle of the two sister's.

It'd been so obvious but my mind had gone blank before when I tried to figure it out.

I looked about the room as I rolled over into a sitting position, this was the first time I had been alone since waking up back in Canterlot.

I could still hear the sound of the ponies below, but I was finally in a place where I could just be alone with my thoughts and I was relaxed by this fact.

Suddenly the door opened and Spike came in sporting a lamp shade for a hat.

“Are you okay, Twilight?” he asked with concern, “You rushed away from the party so fast that I got worried.”

I carefully got up out of bed and trotted up to him.

“I'm sorry for worrying you Spike, it's alright, I just drank some hot sauce by accident.”

“Hot sauce? Why was there hot sauce?”

“I honestly have no idea, Spike. I thought it was juice when I saw it,” I replied with the ghost of a smile playing on my lips.

“Really Spike, I'm okay. I might come back down later.”

“Oh okay, if you need anything I'll be down stairs. The summer sun celebration only comes once a year so I'm gonna party till dawn!” said Spike with a grin.

As he turned to leave one thing came to mind.

“Wait, Spike could you do me a favor and bring me a book from the library?”

Spike turned to look at me, “I thought you were just taking a moment to clear your head? What happened to coming back down to the party?” he asked with a sudden frown.

“It's really important, Spike,” I pleaded as my eyes betrayed my fear.

“Alright, what kind of book do you need?” asked Spike who then heaved a sigh.

In a state of relief I described the kind of book that I needed.

“It's got to be a book on basic magical skills, preferably one for young unicorns learning magic for the first time. Can you get that for me, Spike?”

Spike gave me an odd look before nodding his head and leaving the room to get what I'd asked for.

Alone once more I turned and got back up onto the bed to wait for Spike.

The sun was almost down and I was running out of time, I needed to at least try to work magic.
What would happen if I couldn't? What if Nightmare moon took over?

I was suddenly very afraid as I thought about what would happen.

“Calm down!” I said to myself, isn't this just a dream?

I looked about the room again, it was all so real.
I could smell the warm summer air drifting in through the open window, hear the crickets beginning to sing outside, feel the softness of the blanket underneath me.

None of this was giving off dream vibes at all, I was scared and there might not be anything I could do about it.

I turned my attention back to sounds coming from the party downstairs, it seemed like the welcome party had turned into a before party for the summer sun celebration.

I thought of Derpy and Miss Cheerilee, I wanted to go down there and meet them, to talk with them.

But the importance of the situation had glued me to the spot, all I could do for now was wait for Spike to return with the book.

The door opened quietly as Spike returned, carrying a leather tome in his purple claws.

“I got it,” Spike said as he walked it ever and sat it on the bed beside me.

“this wouldn't have anything to do with that old ponies tale you were obsessing over back in Canterlot, would it?” Spike asked as he jumped up onto the bed and sitting down.

Of course Spike would know about Nightmare moon, though the conversation he spoke of had happened before I arrived.

“Aren't you worried Spike? What if it turns out to be true? What would you do then?”

“But it's not going to happen, Celestia said it herself in the letter she wrote. I believe in Celestia, I thought that you did too.”

“I do, I really do believe in Celestia, but I know that I'm right.”

“Well in any case, I hope you come back down to the party soon.”

I nodded to Spike as her turned and left the room.

Heaving a sigh, I turned to the book and with a bout of hope I concentrated, trying to get the book to open with a levitation spell.

I could feel warmth spread through my horn and knew that it was glowing, I concentrated on the cover.

“Come on... Open...” I murmured.

Slowly the book cover began to glow with a soft pinkish light and began to raise up by an inch.

I gasped with excitement, but had ruined the concentration I had built up, the glow disappeared and the book fell closed once more.

This was going to be way harder than I ever thought, I commented as I wearily threw myself back onto the bed, attempting to catch my breath.

After a few moment's I rolled over onto my stomach and reached out with my hoof and slid it closer and opened it to the first chapter.

All things considered, I had done better than I thought I would.

I'd managed to move something, if not for just a moment.

The first page of the chapter was illustrated with a picture of a young filly who was merrily levitating her toys about as two ponies (supposedly her parents) watched with proud smiles playing on their lips.

I groaned when I started reading and realized that it was mostly explaining fun facts about magical history, it was all very interesting, but I needed it to tell me something useful in learning magic, not the achievements of Star Swirl the bearded.

If I hadn't been in such a hurry I might have stopped to read it, instead I skimmed through the pages, flipping through the book until I finally found a page titled “Useful tips and tricks.”

“Finally,” I muttered with a sigh.

Apparently it was better to practice with the whole object then to focus on a specific spot, something small.

That had been the most useful thing the book had said so far beyond stating the importance of practice every chance it had.

The book went on to give example of something that might be good to practice with.
Something light, like a Teddy Bear or a Doll Filly, but I had none of these things.

I quickly scanned the room for something that might be light enough for the job.

Finally my eyes caught the sight of Spikes basket, which was filled with comics.

A comic was thinner and far lighter compared with the book that I had tried to practice on earlier.

I quickly trotted over to spikes basket and grabbed the first one I saw between my teeth and brought it over to the bed where I sat it down.

I looked to the comic and concentrated, the warmth returned to my horn more quickly than it had the last time and I was pumped and ready for action!

I watched the comic as it began to glow, my brow furrowed with the effort of the task at hoof.

Slowly, but steadily the comic began to rise, one inch, three inch's, and with a final push of effort I made the comic fly up to the ceiling before it came falling back down onto the bed with a quiet slapping noise.

I jumped for joy! Laughing aloud before remembering the ponies downstairs.

I immediately quieted myself, and trotted forward again, ready to try the spell again.

Again and again I tried the spell, over and over the comic flew towards the ceiling before dropping back down, sometimes on the bed and sometimes on the floor.

It didn't matter, I wasn't going to stop until I could levitate it in place for more the a few seconds.

And facing a full night of practice,

I welcomed it in.