• Published 24th Sep 2014
  • 7,852 Views, 150 Comments

Never Wish - Ximer



Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

  • ...
31
 150
 7,852

Home for Hearth's Warming part2

Spike’s eyes were glued to the living room television as Godzilla roared onto the screen. The little dragon had gone through three movies so far, not noticing the bad dubbing or other faults, simply enjoying a good monster movie which had helped take his mind off our current predicament.

Scootaloo had gone exploring around the house that was massive by pony standards. I had advised against it but Isabella’s argument for the green light was along the lines of “my house my rules” only with a much more colorful vocabulary. As much as I loved my sister she could be a real pain at the most inconvenient of times with her carefree attitude.

Noctra remained motionless on the couch still bound by rope. The bat pony simply glared at me occasionally as if it would make me change my mind when it only enforced my decision to leave her tied up.

“Cut her loose bro, I mean where is she going to go?” Isabella asked.

Begrudgingly I cut the ropes to Noctra’s bindings and watched on edge as she shook a bit before stretching out. The odd bat pony proceeded to fly up to the ceiling and look down at us.

“You’re just going to stay there the entire time?” I asked looking up at the two bright yellow eyes looking back at me.

“Maybe…” Noctra replied.

“She’ll come down when she gets hungry enough.” Isabella said leaving the living room.

“Spike keep an eye on her.” I said as I followed my sister, fairly certain I heard “yeah sure” from the little dragon.

I followed Isabella up the stairs and into a room that had a desk and several different types of rocks and pendants to name but a few of the objects on display. If anyone ever questioned my sister’s occupation as an explorer all they had to do was step inside this room to be proven otherwise.

Two of her books lay on a table next to a spare chair in the room that I felt was only missing some kind of animal head mount in order to be complete. Instead there was an empty bird cage, an odd choice unless you knew the story behind it and what it had once held.

“That stone was never a novelty item like you accused me of earlier. After I found it at the site I was at my buddy told me it was some kind of rare rock, I mean it looked cool. Instead I thought I'd try to spark something in you...apparently it worked." Isabella said.

“So you lied about the “wishing stone?” I asked with air quotes.

“Like I said I thought it would so you some good.” Isabella replied.

"Yeah thanks for that by the way, and before you get the urge to slap me again this is technically your fault by your own admission." I said narrowing my eyes at her.

"My fault? Okay that was an accident asshole, and why are you hell bent on not telling people you're home?" my sister asked leaning forward.

"I've got my reasons Izzy, I don't want to go into details. I'm not here for this I just want-" I said brushing her off.

"No don't call me that, this isn't funny. This is your home, where you belong and you're being so...secretive about it!" Isabella exclaimed.

"This isn't my home anymore!" I shouted making her lean back.

"What do you mean this isn't your home? This has always been your home, how can you possibly say that?" Isabella asked.

"Sis, I was miserable here, living the same boring life from day in to day out. Why do you care anyways I mean you ran away from home, so why does it bug you so much?" I asked.

"That's not fai-" Isabella started.

"It's perfectly fair." I said cutting her off.

The room grew silent save for the ticking of a clock as the seconds passed by where words remained unspoken. I could see the sun starting to set from a quick glance at the window behind Isabella and sighed.

"I'm sorry...I've got a kid in there that's away from her family, and a dragon that's missing the only real family he's got. I don't know what I'm going to do with the bat but I'll think of something. I need your help right now, not your criticism." I said.

"I just don't want to lose you again...jerk." Isabella said standing up from her chair to hug me.

"I know, I'll never stop being your brother. You told me to go have an adventure; I’m not done with it just yet." I said returning the hug.

I heard Isabella chuckle as she hugged me tighter. Despite all the fights we had it remained impossible to break the sibling bond between us.

---

Scootaloo stood outside the door, she had never heard Daniel raise his voice before but it hurt her ears and sent chills down her spine. What really hurt the filly was when the human mentioned her family, the one she didn't have. Nopony had ever told him that she was an orphan.

The pegasus' wings fluttered nervously as she bit her bottom lip in thought. She couldn't believe he was in the dark, would it have upset him? She didn't stick around as the two continued to talk and wandered off through the house until the found a partially opened room.

With a gentle push the door revealed a room that looked like it didn't really belong here. There were toys and what looked like a desk covered in paint stains. What appeared to be a white dragon sat on the desk in midflight, held up by some see through object.

There were several boxes that didn't seem to serve a purpose. Their colors ranged from gray to black and there was even a purple one. They were different shapes and sizes and their usefulness was a mystery since some seemed too small to hold anything of value or had an awkward lid, at least what she thought was a lid.

There were a few trophies that had a strange figure at the very top. It looked exactly like a human holding what looked like a large ball, while a few more had a human in a lower position holding some kind of stick up to its face. One of the trophies had a medal hanging from it with an eye catching design.

Finally her eyes fell on two creatures that she mistook for miniature humans at first. It seemed as if they had arms, but instead of falling to the side they were outstretched and lacked what Twilight called had called hands. Their heads were also awkward and were about the size of her hoof.

They stood about as tall as Rainbow Dash and stared at her ominously. Scootaloo frozen when she saw them not wanting to make any sudden movements, but when no response came from them she moved in closer and bumped one with her hoof. The creatures weren't creatures at all, just another model.

Just beyond them on the wall was a picture that had been clipped from a newspaper showing Daniel with two other humans. They were covered in mud and were flexing like Bulk Biceps had once.

"So this is where you went?" asked a familiar voice from behind her.

---

Scootaloo jumped at the sound of my voice knocking the two Warlord Titans over. Dust covered the filly as several books and other models were taken out with them. I sighed as I walked over to the pegasus' side and tried my best to dust her off.

"Scoots your all dusty now." I said dejectedly.

"You scared me, I didn't think any pony was behind me." Scootaloo replied.

I turned around when I heard footsteps from behind me. Isabella was there with a smirk on her face. Apparently the filly's antics brought a small form of amusement to my sister.

"I could make a joke right now, but I'm more concerned about the mobile dust ball that's been created. I can't have her carrying it all over the place." Isabella said.

That was the bad thing about pony fur, dust and dirt clung to it like glue. I could pull it off but I risked hurting Scootaloo and honestly there was too much of it to be worthwhile which prompted me to skip to option b.

"Fine, come on Scoots." I said scooping the little pegasus up.

Her wings flapped rapidly as I picked her up and carried her down the hall. As I walked down the upstairs hallway I could still hear the TV playing Godzilla, at least Spike wouldn't be hard to keep track of. That only left Noctra who was still hanging upside down in the same spot as earlier.

I pushed open a door in the hallway revealing a rather large bathroom. The yellow walls were hideous and would make any decent person want to kick a puppy. I shook my head and set Scootaloo down. A tub hadn't been much different in her world so I wouldn't expect it to be too complicated for her.

"Think you can work it?" I asked as the tangerine filly climbed over the edge, lingering a bit before flapping her wings and kicking her hind legs to slide into the tub completely.

I quickly saw a glaring flaw in option b as Scootaloo tried her best to grip the handles. I thought back to the ones in Fluttershy's and realized that they were designed with ponies in mind. The filly sighed defeated and sat down in the tub hanging her head.

"I've got you Scoots." I said turning the water on playing with the temperature a bit before putting the drain plug in.

Scootaloo was being awfully quiet; normally she would be asking questions or carrying on some sort of conversation. She had acted weird the night before as well. A part of me wanted to know what was wrong, but I remained silent as I turned the water off once it reached a justifiable level.

I cupped my hands and poured a bit of water over her head causing her mane to fall flat against her head, covering one eye slightly. She was still wearing that same defeated look as if someone, or pony, had just died.

"Scootaloo are you okay?" I asked concerned now.

"I...there's nopony waiting for me in Equestria." Scootaloo replied taking me by surprise.

"That's crazy talk Scoots, I bet your mom and da-" I started to say.

"I don't have a mom or dad...I'm an orphan. Rainbow Dash is probably the only pony that really cares." Scootaloo said quickly interrupting me.

I put two and two together as I recalled last night's events. I was right when I had assumed Scootaloo was lying, she was doing something far less innocent than a simple slumber party with her friends, I just hadn't considered the severity of it.

"Last night you were running away? Why?" I asked.

"Because nopony wants me. Face it, I can't fly, I don't have my cutie mark, who would want me?" Scootaloo asked waving her hooves as she spoke before letting them fall back into the water, tears now falling from her eyes and disturbing the surface.

I felt needles pierce my heart as I watched her cry. Kids were a sensitive topic for me, to the point that I'd wanted to deck the lord of chaos in the nose for taunting me about the subject.

"Scoots, I can't do…some things either. It's one of the reasons I was abandoned by somepony I trusted my heart with. The one thing I've always wanted more than anything in the two worlds I've been in is just outside of my reach, I know how you feel kid." I said.

"I saw all those trophies though, and that medal. How could you not have what you want?" Scootaloo asked.

"I can't have a family of my own Scootaloo, I've tried. You though, you've got your whole life ahead of you and trust me somepony in Equestria wants you, they'd be crazy not to." I said borrowing some of my sisters wash.

"You mean you can't have a foal with somepony else?" Scootaloo asked.

"No I can't, I was married once and we tried multiple times. Things...happened and we eventually got divorced." I said rinsing the suds off of the filly.

"That's stupid...she's stupid." Scootaloo said slamming a hoof down in the water.

"Yeah, I thought so too, but sometimes adults do stupid stuff." I said with a halfhearted laugh.

I pulled the drain plug to release the now slightly bubbly water and picked Scootaloo up out of the tub. I sat her down on the bathroom rug and started to dry her off with a fluffy towel. Unsatisfied with my work the tangerine filly shook the remaining water off herself and onto the floor and walls with a giggle.

"I suppose that works too." I said throwing the towel in the bin.

---

"Donated?" I asked flatly staring at Isabella from across the table.

"Yeah, after you vanished I kept the stone for a while but James said it was some kind of rare...something and asked if I'd donate it to the museum." Isabella said taking a long swig of her beer afterwards.

"Great, you didn't think about keeping it as...I don't know, a keep sake?" I asked.

"I've got a room full of them, why would I want the last gift I sent you? It was a bad memory." Isabella replied.

"Can't you ask for it again?" Scootaloo asked looking up from her food.

"Once something is in James Heartlock's hands you might as well kiss it goodbye." Isabella replied.

"There has to be some way to get it back." Scootaloo said before yawning.

"It's a bit late to start thinking about heroics. The stones definitely not going anywhere if it's with James so I say we call it a night." Isabella said.

I looked up at the clock surprised at how fast time had flown by. Noctra was busy eating her fourth apple, unfazed by the time. She noticed my stare and gripped the apple with her fangs taking to the ceiling again, finishing her food upside down which was impressive to watch.

"Come on Scoots let’s get you into bed, Rainbow Dash would kick my face in if she found out you stayed up too late." I said letting the filly ride on my shoulder up the stairs and to one of the guest rooms.

Scootaloo looked around the room as she padded up to the pillows, the mattress bouncing slightly with every movement she made. This made her laugh a little until a faint howl came from the woods beyond the window.

"You don't have Timberwolves or...monsters here do you?" Scootaloo asked looking up at me.

"That was probably just a coyote, they can't get you inside. They're afraid of humans because we're scarier than them." I said holding my hands up like paws while bending my fingers to look like claws on some sort of vicious creature.

Two more howls came from the woods and I felt something wrap around my arm tightly. Scootaloo had semi permanently attached herself to my arm and was nervously staring at the window as if any moment a monster would come crashing through it.

"C-c-can you stay? At least until they go away?" Scootaloo asked nervously.

"No problem, let me get the light okay?" I asked in return relieved when I felt my arm relinquished from the filly's grasp.

I left the hall light on and the door open allowing light to stream into the room just like when I was little. Scootaloo's gaze hadn't left the window and only faltered once I sat on the edge of the bed and ruffled her mane.

I leaned against the head board and felt something warm press itself against me. I looked down to see Scootaloo, forcing her eyes shut, her ears folding flat against her skull as another cry from a coyote made her cringe.

"What if they don't leave?" Scootaloo asked.

"Well then I guess I'll just stay here." I replied.

I had nothing to lose if only a few hours of sleep. I had nowhere to be in this world and as far as Earth was concerned I was a dead man anyways. If being on nightshift for a scared kid was the worst thing to happen to me then I couldn't really complain.

"All night?" Scootaloo asked groggily.

"All night." I replied looking at the moon from the window.

I had lost track of time when I heard what sounded like a loud belch. I felt the small filly beside me stir slightly only to remain fast asleep despite the disturbance. I slowly got up only feel a small hoof paw at my wrist before falling limply to the bed.

"Goodnight Scoots." I said leaving the room.

I walked out into the hallway to hear what sounded like Spike's clawed feet running up the stairs. I turned the corner and met the little dragon half way. Whatever it was certainly had the little guy excited.

"Daniel! Check this out!" he said holding up a letter.

Daniel

I hope this letter reaches you, I did everything I was supposed to so there's no reason it shouldn't. I'm sorry this happened, I never should have kept that stupid stone after you said no. It's imperative that you stay together, I'm making modifications to the mirror but unless I have the stone from your world I won't be able to bring any of you back.

I need you to try sending something solid back, roughly the same shape as the stone, we need to know if Spike's fire can do something like this or the entire plan is ruined. Princess Celestia has tried to reassure me that everything will turn out fine, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried.

Now that business is out of the way, I've been asked by several friends present at the time this letter is being penned to ask how things are in your world. I myself was wondering if Spike is okay, if you're reading this then I assume that's a yes. Just lets us know everything is okay and don't forget to try sending something to us.

Best wishes

Twilight Sparkle

I folded the letter back up and looked at Spike who was tapping his claws together nervously. I wasn't quite sure how we could go from letter to magical rock, but I understood what Twilight was asking for.

"Spike, can you send and receive other things besides letters?" I asked curiously.

"Well I received a bunch of tickets for the Grand Galloping Gala once, that counts right?" Spike asked.

"Those are still paper bro, I mean like a stone, a package or something." I replied walking down stairs.

"Umm...maybe? I guess we'd have to try. I mean the tickets came inside a letter what's to say it wouldn't work the same way?" Spike asked nervously.

"You don't sound overly confident about it, get some rest and we'll try in the morning. I know exactly what to send anyways and it'll have to wait until then." I said with a grin.

---

Twilight looked around her bedroom as the sun started to rise in the sky. She wanted this to be a nightmare she could wake up from, but there would be no such relief until she had everything she needed to set things right.

She had stayed up as long as she could the previous night; waiting for some kind of reply from the human in the hopes that he had received her message. She started to question if she had messed up somewhere along the way when the flame from the candle she had made flickered to life of its own accord.

Within seconds a package wrapped in paper appeared. Twilight's eyes widened as she gasped with excitement at the realization that he had received her letter. What's more he had managed to send...something.

"Poor Spike, I hope it wasn't too much trouble." Twilight said quietly as she unwrapped and opened the box.

Inside was a camcorder which took Twilight by surprise. Of all the things Dniel could send why choose something so random? She smiled when she realized why he'd picked this particular item and quickly levitated it out of the box.

After looking the device over Twilight found the power button and used what knowledge she had on the strange device to see if anything was recorded. Much to her delight there was something on the memory card as humans called it. This was news worth sharing.

When the others had gathered as she requested she brought out the camcorder which left them a bit confused. Twilight had to give brief explanation of how the device worked before turning the screen on the recorder around for the others to see.

Hello Equestria, I got your letter Twilight and if you're watching this right now then I guess all we need now is the stone...which I don't have unfortunately. Daniel said through the small screen.

"It's Danny, he's alive!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed, her mane instantly returning to its natural poofy state.

"Yes dear we can see, he's trying to say something." Rarity said trying to calm her friend down.

The stone right now is in the possession of another human, my sister Izzy is going to try to work something out. Say hi Izzy. Daniel said as he reached towards the screen and the focus shifted on another human that had long blond hair and bright blue eyes.

High...sky high. Isabella said with a grin.

Rainbow Dash laughed a little at the other human's sense of humor. She appeared to be a polar opposite of her brother which seemed appropriate.

You're not funny. Daniel said from behind the camcorder

I bet your friends say otherwise. Hey pony people, or uh...something. Isabella said before disappearing from view.

Twilight here's a better look at your culprit behind all of this in case you were wondering. Her name's Noctra and she was apparently paid to try and steal the stone, she didn't have a name unfortunately. Daniel said as the focus shifted towards the ceiling.

A bat pony opened her eyes groggily at the mention of her name and yawned before drifting back to sleep, unconcerned with the human's taped message to the princess.

The sound of something rubbing together came across the speakers before the screen showed the carrier ascending a set of stairs and heading down a hallway. Inside a room there was a familiar tangerine filly and purple dragon.

Who's winning? Daniel asked.

I am. Spike said not averting his gaze from the screen as he held some sort of rectangular device in his hand.

Nuh uh! Scootaloo retorted pressing her hooves against a similarly shaped object that rested flat on the floor.

"Scootaloo!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed excitedly.

"Told ya she'd be okay, ain't got nothin ta worry about." Applejack said.

Scoots, did you want to tell Rainbow Dash hi? Daniel asked.

Rainbow Dash can see me?! Scootaloo asked spinning around quickly, no longer concerned with the game.

Yes she can, when we send this off to her she'll be able to see and hear you. Did you want to tell her anything? Daniel asked.

Umm...I really miss you and Sweetie Belle and Applebloom and the others. I'm doing okay, I just hope you're not mad at me when I get back. Scootaloo said looking at the screen.

"Squirt, I wouldn't be mad at you over something like this. That's crazy talk." Rainbow Dash said as if the screen could hear her.

Wait that's what you're wanting to send to Twilight? I don't know...I mean we can try but- Spike said as the focus shifted to him.

Come on Spike what's the worst that could happen? Daniel asked.

Okay, but you'll need to put it in some kind of box, I probably can't burn whatever that is like I can a letter and this is really stretching things. Spike said putting the controller down.

Well you heard the dragon, this is the moment of truth. I hope you guys get this to ensure that we have some chance of getting home. I hope to see all you guys again soon, Earth out. Daniel said before the screen went blue.

"That's it?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"I'm afraid so Rainbow Dash, but this tells us that everypony is okay. All that's left is to get the Banishing Stone from his world so we can bring them home." Twilight replied setting the camcorder down.

"Guess we'll just have ta trust him then, Ah don't care much fer that bat pony though." Applejack said.

---

Isabella scanned the halls of the museum, tour groups were the main occupants. She rolled her eyes, this wasn't how you learned about the past. You learned by getting your hands dirty. To Isabella there was no other method.

She eventually found what she was looking for. To her right down a long hallway was a wall line with rocks on display shelves with labels. Each label gave a brief description about what the stone was made up of and other miscellaneous information.

"There you are." Isabella said her eyes falling on the one she had relinquished.

"Catching up with your friend?" asked a voice that made Isabella cringe.

"James, I wouldn't expect to see you out this early in the morning." Isabella said stopping herself from making a hooker joke.

"I still have a few good years in me, no reason I can't enjoy the building from time to time, especially when it's host to such a pretty young lady." James said.

"Mmm this pretty young lady was wondering what she would have to do to get this little jewel back from you?" Isabella asked holding back a flood of insults.

James was a disgusting womanizer. He had been divorced three times yet his charm still seemed to work on every woman he talked to, except for Isabella of course. James had mocked her brother throughout school and shown his true colors.

"I'm afraid museums cannot return donated items or records once they have been legally accessioned into the permanent collection. When you donated it you passed private control of it to us." James said with a smile.

"Way to give a girl bad news. You sure there's no loop hole you could exploit for a friend?" Isabella asked, wanting to off herself for even entertaining the idea that the two we friends.

"I wouldn't call us "friends" Isabella, more like associates. You find old things that benefit others and well, I take them off your hands. Honestly I'd prefer we kept things on a professional level...besides I'm afraid there are no loop holes anyways." James replied.

Typical legal bullshit. Isabella thought to herself.

"The last time we talked about you little prize here you could hardly wait to get rid of it. What made you change your mind?" James asked.

"Change of heart I guess, I just want my brother home for the holiday." Isabella said.

"Ah I see, and you associate our little friend here with him? Touching, but the answer is still the same. However, if you're in need of company this season-" James started.

"I am not some one night stand that you can scratch off your list!" Isabella snapped finally losing her composure.

"And you need to stop clinging to ghost and miracles like some lost little child." James retorted with a laugh.

Isabella wanted so badly to tell him that Daniel wasn't a ghost, that he was alive. She remembered her promise and what he said, he didn't intend to stay here. That could change right now, all she had to do was tell James and prove to him that her brother wasn't dead.

"Take care of yourself James." Isabella said, with a smile before walking away.

Betraying her brother was something that she couldn't bring herself to do, even if it meant she might lose him again. He had already made his choice and he wasn't a little kid anymore, she had to respect that. Besides, maybe it was time for a new adventure of her own.

---

"It's inside a display case and there's no convincing James of letting it go...he has the legal system on his side." Isabella said with a huff.

"He hit on you didn't he?" I asked making her face turn red in frustration.

"He's a slime ball that mocked you in front of me just because he thinks you're dead!" Isabella exclaimed.

I chuckled almost wishing I could have been there to step out of some corner with some cheesy one liner. It was a missed opportunity that I wish I had until I rationalized how complicated the day would have been if I suddenly appeared back from the "land of the dead".

"We need that stone Izzy, can't you sue or something?" I asked.

"Afraid not; there's no loop holes and I doubt a lawyer would touch a case if we made one." Isabella replied.

"Why not steal it?" Noctra asked.

The bat pony had a small smile on her face as she swiftly consumed a banana. I found it rather disgusting how she even ate the peal. I wasn't an expert in fruit by any means but I was certain that couldn't be good for you, then again she wasn't human.

"We can't just walk in and steal something it's against the law." I replied.

"According to what blondie just said the law's not going to help you right now anyways. So unless you have a better idea I suggest you put your morals on the back burner." Noctra said grinning.

"Stealing got us into this situation in the first place remember?" I asked coldly.

"I only steal to take care of myself, I never take more than I need. I was desperate and right now you seem like you're desperate to get back." the bat pony countered.

Noctra had a point as much as I didn't want to admit she was right I couldn't think of any way around this problem. I could hardly believe I was resorting to thievery in order to accomplish a goal, but we were out of options.

"Fine, how would you go about breaking in?" I asked making the bat pony smile.

"Well I'd need to see the building first, preferably at night." Noctra replied tapping a hoof against her chin in thought.

"Okay what else?" I asked.

"I want a promise that I won't be arrested the second we get back to Equestria." Noctra said.

"I can't guarantee something like that, but if you help us it can't hurt your chances. I'll tell Twilight what you did and maybe she'll understand." I said.

Noctra shook her head "Not good enough, I want guarantees or my services are off the table." she said crossing her fore legs.

I rolled my eyes at her response. I assumed she would try to worm out of getting into trouble somehow but holding us here wasn't going to solve anything. It would only make things worse. Not to mention I couldn't keep Scootaloo or Spike in my world forever.

"The ones you're really hurting are those guys in the other room. I promise you, you help get them home it'll look good on you." I said.

The bat pony closed her eyes and didn't reply. I wouldn't have taken her for a deep thinker and I was right not to. After a few seconds of silence I heard the soft sound of somepony snoring. I could hardly believe it; Noctra had dozed off in the middle of a conversation.

"Did she just nod off?" Isabella asked dumbfounded.

My sister slammed her palm into the table making a loud bang causing the bat pony to jump. Noctra looked around in panic as if she had completely forgotten where she was and what we were talking about.

"What was that for?" Noctra asked rubbing her eye.

"You dozed off while trying to barter for your freedom, which we can't guarantee, but if you help us it'll be a step in the right direction. We can't do this without you; I know you're not a bad pony." I replied.

"Ugh...fine, but you have to be willing to do exactly as I say. A moral compass like yours will screw us over." Noctra said relenting with a huff.

"Thank you Noctra." I said.

"Yeah yeah don't think me just yet. I still need to see the building. In the meantime I'm going to need a few things if your world has them." Noctra said with a smirk.

---

Isabella had a habit of never decorating for Christmas, despite having multiple decorations. I decided to go through them for old time’s sake and try to remember the good things about Earth. There was far too much bad in this world, but just a little ray of light, like the warmth of a fond memory, would be enough to get me through this.

I pulled out an old music box from one of the containers and turned the key a few times. Silent Night started playing as I set the music box on the ground. It had been my grandmother's and was a family keep sake ever since she passed away.

She always gave us a lecture every Christmas morning before Izzy and I would ever get to open our gifts. That it was never about receiving, but giving that was the true meaning of Christmas. It was an old fashioned notion but she had been adamant in making sure we were raised right.

"What is all this stuff?" Scootaloo asked poking her head in one of the boxes.

"Decorations, some family stuff mixed in oddly enough." I replied pulling out another box.

"Do you think we'll be home in time for Hearth's Warming Eve?" Scootaloo asked as she rolled a plastic ball ornament between her hooves.

"Maybe Scoots, you know it's funny...tomorrow is Christmas Eve." I replied with a laugh.

"What's Christmas?" Scootaloo asked.

"It's kind of like your Hearths Warming Eve holiday only less meaningful now days." I replied as the filly poked her head inside another open box.

"Han hu hed ish?" Scootaloo asked holding a book in her mouth.

"A Christmas Carol, I remember this...it might be a bit boring to you though." I said taking the book and looking it over.

"It can’t be that boring." Scootaloo said.

The tangerine filly seemed like a pegasus of action, I came to this assumption since I caught her drifting off before the ghost of Christmas present had arrived in the story. I chuckled at the snoozing filly and put the book back in its box. I left Scootaloo sleeping on the couch and headed towards the room that had all of my old belongings in it.

I sat on the bed and looked around at all the items my sister had opted to keep, presumably when they were picking over my house like vultures after they assumed I was dead. I noticed the picture that had my two best friends with me.

“All good things come to an end.” I said averting my gaze from the picture.

I stood up from the bed and walked over to the desk in the room that I had sat at and painted models at for hours at a time. An army was made here, customized and sometimes built from scraps that made something unique.

I picked up a dragon like model that was called a Heldrake and turned it over in my hand a few times. It was one of my favorite models, Raptors being a close second, and I considered it the trump card in my army. What made it special was that I chose white as the primary color instead of the traditional darker color schemes.

“She let you get dusty huh buddy?” I asked before blowing dust particles off the model.

I sat the model in front of me and opened up one of the containers on the floor. I pulled out a figure that had what appeared to be a jetpack on and set it beside the Heldrake. A part of me wanted to play the game again, stay behind and pick up where I left off.

I stood up and started to look for a backpack until I heard the door open followed by the clip clop of hooves against wood. I left the room behind and turned the light off, casting darkness over my past achievements and memories of the life I’d opted to leave behind. It was an oddly fitting image, one that made me uneasy.

Noctra and Isabella had returned and were discussing something amongst themselves as I approached. The bat pony had a prideful look on her face and grinned once she saw me Isabella sported a similar expression, leave it to my sister to make friends with the pony that got us into this mess.

“Well how did things go?” I asked.

“From what I’ve seen it shouldn’t be too hard to get our stone.” Noctra replied happily.

“Oh well that’s goo-“ I started to say.

“For me, you guys on the other hoof will take a bit of effort to get inside the building.” Noctra said cutting me off.

“I assume you have sort of plan?” I asked crossing my arms.

“We do, but it’s going to be a doozey.” Isabella replied her smile falling.

---

Twilight had been unable to focus aside from thoughts involving her friends. She had waited for another letter or package to follow behind the one that had been sent to her previously with disappointing results.

The alicorn looked at the calendar and noticed a circled day that read Hearths Warming Eve. She didn’t want to spend Hearths Warming Eve without Spike, he had been a part of her life for a while now and thought of him missing it was hard to accept.

As much as Twilight didn’t want to acknowledge the possibility of her friends missing Hearths Warming Eve, it was starting to look like only a miracle could bring them back in time. This was all assuming they could get the stone back of course which made her pace as she dwelt on the matter.

“What if something bad happened…no I can’t think like that they’ll be okay.” Twilight said shaking her head in an attempt to rid herself of doubt.

Twilight looked up to the midnight sky through her window and stared at one star that she thought was brighter than the rest. She hadn’t stopped to look at the stars in a long time, but even this past time failed to bring her joy.

“Please come home.” Twilight said quietly.

The alicorn’s attention was pulled away from the endless night sky by the sound of something hitting the ground. Twilight gasped with excitement as she saw a crudely folded piece of paper, Daniel's craftsmanship no doubt.

"He could send a sticky note at this point and-" Twilight started to say stopping as she read the letter.

Twilight shook her head and blinked a few times to make sure her vision wasn't failing her. The letter was oddly specific and thought out for somepony like Daniel who she didn't really consider the planning type.

"Twilight, it's time-" Twilight read aloud as she re-read the letter to ensure she hadn't missed anything.

---

"From the top." Noctra said walking on the ceiling of the kitchen akin to a drill sergeant.

We had been reviewing her plan for a while now as minutes turned into hours. I was already dreading the thought of being caught or worse, one of the others getting caught and taken away by some agency never to see the light of day again.

"There's three guards in total, they're a bit lazy though so they shouldn't prove to be much of a threat. There's also a window that light was coming from last night. I'm inclined to think somepony is there but it could have been an accident." Noctra said rubbing the back of her head with a hoof.

"Anyways, I'll be getting one of the side doors and from there we'll work our way deeper into the build. That's were blondie comes in, she'll have to lead us to the stone since I couldn't actually get inside the building." Noctra said

"What about the cameras? Even if we sneak past the guards there will no doubt be cameras throughout the building." I said.

"The cameras osculate and are a bit outdated. Besides I've got an idea on how to keep them occupied for a bit." Isabella said grinning.

"Okay so assuming we run past the cameras how do you plan on getting the item out? I'm sure the glass case has some sort of sensor." I said pointing out a less obvious security measure.

"That's going to be the part where we run...unless you have a better idea?" Noctra asked.

"I can talk to Twilight, give her the specifics. If she can somehow open the portal...or have her come up with plan D." I replied.

"Don't you mean plan B?" Isabella asked.

"No I mean plan D, trust me it's impossible to explain." I replied.

"All letters of the alphabet aside, I can't stress enough how important speed will be. We'll need to carry the other two since I doubt they can keep up with us. No offense." Noctra said looking over at Spike and Scootaloo.

"None taken." Spike said while Scootaloo refused to acknowledge the remark about speed.

"Worst case scenario I just do what I did to send me to Equestria in the first place and hope it works again...I'd like to avoid that though." I said looking up at Noctra.

"You sure are putting a lot of faith in this princess of yours." Noctra said with what I assumed was a grin since she was upside down it appeared to be more of a scowl.

"She's putting a lot of faith in us too." I said crossing my arms.

With that the bat pony departed for the living room and proceeded to cast a glance at the setting sun before trying to sleep just a bit more before our plan. Tomorrow was Christmas Eve, a night when everyone would be at parties and with their families. It was the perfect time to strike.

"Are you sure you want to come?" I asked looking at Isabella once Noctra had left.

I was a bit surprised by my sister's plans to follow me back to Equestria. Still the adventurer in her had apparently overridden any doubts or second thoughts. I knew what going back meant. Equestria and the world I had dwelt in was unlike anything she had ever experienced before.

"I'm sure, tonight I'll be getting my affairs in order, unlike someone." Isabella replied.

I crossed my arms and gave her my customary "what the hell did you just say" face. This only made her laugh at my displeased facial expression. While a part of me was a bit upset I couldn’t help but chuckle as well, if Isabella really was planning on coming with me at least I wouldn’t feel so alone anymore.

“Seriously though I’ve left for three years at one point in time. Me disappearing off the face of the Earth isn’t an uncommon occurrence. You on the other hand, well it’s kind of unusual, you get my point.” Isabella said with a wave of her hand.

“I think you’ll fit right in.” I said smirking at the hand gesture.

---

It was time, the sun was setting fast and soon Christmas Eve would give way to Christmas Morning. Before then we had to ensure that we were inside the museum. I was still wrestling with the fact that I was about to break into a building, but I honestly couldn’t see another way out of this mess.

The trip to the museum was quiet until we reached the large Christmas tree that the town always decorated. I couldn’t help but stare as we slowly started to pass it until I put a hand on my sister’s shoulder.

“Please tell me you’re not getting cold feet.” Isabella said.

“Just pull over for a second, there’s method to my madness.” I said rolling my eyes.

Isabella parked the car and Scootaloo and Spike hid in the two back packs we had brought to carry them in during our little mission. Spike poked his head up through the bag that was on my back while Scootaloo did the same with my sister’s. Noctra opted to stay in the car not one for bright lights to begin with.

“It’s so pretty.” Scootaloo said looking up at the tall tree that was surrounded by little reindeer composed of Christmas lights on the ground.

“Who’s the big guy?” Spike asked pointing to a figure lined with red lights.

“Santa Claus, he gives presents out and all that good jazz.” I replied.

I stared up at the start at the very top of the tree. It’s light only grew warmer and brighter as the sky steadily darkened around it until finally it was more like a beacon than a simple ornament on top of a tree.

Here I was, with two friends from a completely different world and my sister, standing before a Christmas tree. I could picture families from both worlds celebrating right now and eating some kind of special family dinner or parties held in honor of the holiday.

“Did you know that during the first World War both sides shared Christmas together once?” I asked aloud.

“What’s that got to do with anything?” Isabella asked in return.

“Unity, it’s like this is the one day the world stops fighting and arguing.” I replied.

“Hearths Warming Eve was when all the ponies finally stopped arguing with each other. If Christmas is about peace then I guess things aren’t as different as you think huh?” Spike asked happily.

“No, I guess they aren’t.” I replied.

The sound of a bell ringing in the distance signaled the time changing. Isabella took out her phone and sighed before putting it away in her pocket. She cast one last look at the tree before heading back to the car. I followed her looking back at the tree several times wanting to ensure that this memory would stay in my mind. This was what I wanted to leave with, a memory of something precious, peace.

I gently put the back pack Spike was in in the back seat before getting in myself. Noctra had started to twist a strand of hard metal into an awkward shape that I could only assume was to aid in our break in. She had been filing down a key before we left. I recognized it as a bump key from my days in college.

I hoped she wasn’t planning on using it unless absolutely necessary, bump keys made a lot of noise and we wanted to avoid that. I was impressed that she knew how to make a bump key in the first place since it was originally a lock smith’s trick before it became used for less than honorable purposes.

“How’d you learn to do all of this anyways?” I asked as Isabella pulled out her phone and started to call someone.

“Before the guard or my life of crime I helped my dad who was a lock smith. When I got older I wanted to see the world and joined the guard…only to have a knife planted in my back.” Noctra replied as she continued her work.

“I’m sorry.” I said feeling guilty for judging her.

“Don’t be, I wasn’t the best soldier so that didn’t help my case. It was like they were glad to be rid of me. I couldn’t return home with that shame on my back, but I couldn’t starve either…so I was pushed to the point of desperation.” Noctra said holding up what looked like a modified pin of some sort, appraising her own work.

“What happened?” Spike asked quietly.

“I’d rather not talk about it…I’ve been trying my best to forget.” Noctra said tucking the tool away.

“I hope story time’s over, we’re here.” Isabella said as the car came to a stop.

I let out a nervous sigh before stepping out of the car. I made sure Spike was secure inside the backpack before walking away from what I hoped would be my last car ride for a while. If things went south here, I might be going on another one.

I heard the familiar sound of doors locking and turned to Isabella who was tucking her keys away. I raised an eyebrow at her before shaking my head.

“What?” she asked confused.

“Why are you locking it?” I asked.

“Because it’s…oh yeah…let’s just go.” she replied with a huff.

Noctra quickly flew to the side door and froze. Isabella held up her arm to stop me and smirked as she watched the road across us. I followed their line of sight and tried my best to locate just what it was they were seeing.

“What are we waiting for?” I asked.

“Just give it a minute.” Isabella replied.

A few seconds after she spoke a pizza delivery car pulled in front of the building. He looked a bit confused but started walking towards the building with two pizza bags built to keep the heat in the boxes.

“Okay how’d you know?” I asked dumbfounded.

“I used to clock you when you worked at that pizza joint. How do you think I knew when to hide the booze so you wouldn’t rat us out?” Isabella replied.

“Whoa…she’s good.” Spike said poking his head out of the bag.

“And the fan club extends to Equestria ladies and gentlemen.” I said rolling my eyes.

Noctra shushed us as she set to work on the lock, her hooves working with two tools that seemed like they should be impossible for a pony to use, but seeing is believing. Her tongue slid out between her two fangs comically and it made her look like a fluffy plush doll you could win at a carnival.

A quiet click could be heard as Noctra played with the lock. I turned the handle and pulled slowly smiling as the door opened before us. The bat pony beamed with pride before tossing one of the bent utensils to the ground.

We quietly walked into the hallway that led to another door that had a traditional EXIT sign next to it. I found this odd since the exit would be through the door we just entered but pushed this thought to the back of my mind.

Noctra’s eyes had a mysterious yellow shimmer about them as we walked in the dark. She stopped and set to work on the locked door that would lead into the hallway. As she was working the sound of heavy footsteps approaching could be heard just beyond the door.

We all froze as the footsteps drew closer and closer. I could tell they were nearly at the door as the sound developed into a loud “clacking” noise against the tiled floor of the building. I silently prayed whoever was there would walk past.

The footsteps slowly started to fade as whoever was on the other side kept walking. I mentally sighed, holding back my physical reaction for fear of attracting the guard’s attention even with the simplest of noises no matter how unrealistic the chance of him hearing it may have been.

Noctra resumed her task and began to unlock the second door. She worked much slower than she had before, with the threat of a guard patrolling the hallway even with Isabella’s distraction it made her job more unnerving.

When she finally heard a click she stepped aside and let Isabella open the door. My sister peeked around the corner cautiously shocked when Noctra strolled out as if nothing was wrong. We both held our breath before she looked back at us.

“Trust me, that guard’s long gone, these ears of mine can confirm that.” she said as her ears swiveled a bit before returning to their forward position.

“Just watch out for little red lights.” Isabella warned as she took the lead.

“Roray Rhaggy.” I said in a mock Scooby Doo voice.

“Shut up.” my sister hissed elbowing me in the arm.

It didn’t take us long to run into our first camera, the red dot slowly disappearing as it turned. I could hear Isabella quietly counting the seconds it took for the camera to turn back around. I could feel Spike shift in my backpack as he poked his head out to investigate his surroundings.

“Look at all this stuff!” Spike whispered excitedly.

“Yeah, real shame we’re in a hurry.” Isabella said a hint of regret in her voice.

“We’re trespassing, I doubt now would be the ideal time to traverse the exhibits.” I said watching the red light come into view again.

Isabella waited until the dot slowly started to disappear before dashing past the camera. I followed suit while Noctra simply took to the ceiling and walked across casually. No one would ever think to look for a thief on the ceiling, no wonder she had gone undetected for so long in Equestria.

The footsteps echoed along the hall way again making Noctra flatten herself against the ceiling. While she was safe we weren’t. I looked around quickly and found a solution to our problem, even if it went against the guy code in doing so.

“Come on.” I whispered grabbing Isabella by the arm and pulling her into a restroom.

I caught the door with my foot and slowly closed it, muffling the sound as the noisy footsteps filled the hallway. I had never ever wanted to enter this cursed and forbidden realm. It was truly as horrifying as the legends said.

“So there really is pink paint with floral wallpaper…wow.” I said looking around.

“This is the women’s restroom what were you expecting you derp?” Isabella asked rhetorically punching me in the shoulder.

Once the footsteps grew quiet once more we slow made our way out into the hallway to see Noctra looking down at us with a fanged grin. Isabella took the lead once more; Scootaloo occasionally poked her head out to glance around whenever my sister came to stop only to sink into the bag once again when she started moving out of fear of being dislodged.

“How much further Izzy?” I asked as we avoided another camera.

“It shouldn’t be far now…right around-“ I was swiftly grabbed by the shirt collar and pulled against a wall. Isabella flattened herself against it next to me as she pointed to the ground. A light was slowly scanning the tiled floor and reflecting off the glass.

Fantastic! I thought to myself.

Noctra opened her mouth and looked like she was about to scream. I could feel my anger swell up in me, this little backstabbing bat was about to betray us.

A soft squeak echoed from down the hallway as Noctra’s ears folded flat against her skull while her face twisted into a strained expression, as if she was yelling. It almost sounded like a sneaker spinning on a smooth surface similar to basketball games where the sound was more prominent. The sound of heavy footsteps rushed in our direction as three more squeaks traveled down the hall.

The guard rushed past us and towards the sound of the phantom intruder as Noctra landed beside us. She beamed happily at me, proud of her ability to save us from an awkward confrontation.

“For a second there I thought you were going to go rouge on us.” I admitted as Isabella led us to a glass display case.

“Nah, you guys are too much fun.” Noctra replied.

Our lighthearted conversation died quickly as our eyes fell upon our goal. The last Banishing Stone, the rock that had caused me so much grief was just out of reach, encased in a glass barrier. It was time for the final hurdle; so far everything else had gone smoothly.

“How much time do you think we have before the police show up to back up the mall cops?” Isabella asked.

“I’d say about ten seconds to explain yourselves.” replied a gruff voice from behind us.

We spun around to see a startled security guard, neither one of us moving as we studied the other. His previous bravado had gone out the window the second he saw Noctra and her intimidating appearance though I thought it was more adorable than scary now given her mannerisms.

“W-w-what is that?! A demon?!” the security guard asked backing away.

“I’m really sorry about this.” Isabella said before landing a punch right on the guard’s jaw, knocking him out cold.

“Awesome!” Scootaloo exclaimed before covering her mouth with her hooves when her voice carried down the hallway.

The sound of shuffling and the quick pace of footsteps could be heard down the far end of the hall across from the knocked out security guard. Things were starting to take a turn for the worst as Isabella picked up the guard’s light and smashed the glass case, no doubt triggering a silent alarm.

Isabella tossed me the stone just as another light fell on us. This guard’s reaction was almost the same as his predecessor’s, the difference being that he had a bit more sense and started to stammer uneasily into his radio.

Noctra flew at the man, pinning him to the ground and hissing at him. It was a noise I didn’t think a pony could make but logically ponies shouldn’t be able to talk either.

“Spike get started!” I exclaimed passing the dragon the stone.

The lights in the building were slowly starting to come on, their low hum audible as the bulbs warmed up. Whatever message or code the guard had shouted through his radio must have gotten through in time.

“Oh no…oh no…bright lights…” Noctra whimpered as her head darted from light fixture to light fixture.

“Spike start burning!” Isabella exclaimed.

I scooped Noctra up in my arms as the terrified bat pony shielded her eyes. I could feel Spike shifting in the backpack as he tried to fit the stone in the box we had brought along. We were almost done, it was going to be out of our hands soon, I could only hope Twilight was ready.

“Okay I’ve got it!” Spike shouted popping out of the top of the backpack.

The baby dragon placed the box on the floor and took a deep breath before expelling his green flames upon the box. The fire started to consume the box, though it was not all at once like the letter Twilight had been sent. The ashes from the box seemed to vanish into thin air as the box continued to burn.

I noticed flashing lights out of the corner of my eye and looked out the window to see a police car pull into the parking lot. Another soon joined it as the two officers from the first quickly approached the front door.

“How’s it look?” I asked watching the other officers exit their car.

“Almost…almost…done!” Spike said as the last bit of his flame flickered away.

“Good because we’re going. More guest have arrived.” I said.

We ran down another hallway full of old war objects like a trench shovel and canteen, nothing too spectacular or intimidating. Voices could be heard behind us followed by what sounded like a swarm of bees. I could only assume the noise was originating from the police officers and their radios.

Come on Twilight! I thought to myself.

---

“Perfect, I’m almost finished.” Twilight said looking past a book she had borrowed from the Canterlot Archives.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash had both worked to reposition the mirror while the others gathered what Twilight had needed in order to reverse the spell on the stone. She would need to work fast with what information she had been given about Daniel’s method for retrieving the stone.

“Oh oh Twilight! The flame’s back!” Pinkie Pie shouted excitedly.

Another box appeared and much to Twilight’s delight the stone was within it this time. The alicorn smiled as she levitated the stone out of its container and quickly started to cast the spell she had been preparing on the troublesome stone.

“Why does this have to be lined up with a star again?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“The spell calls for something to bridge the two worlds, the North Star is the one thing that came to mind last night since Luna always places in the same spot.” Twilight replied.

The alicorn worked quickly watching as the stone’s blue coloration faded and turned a shade of dull red in response to the first part of her spell. So far things were going well, she just hoped they were close together when it was finished.

Though Twilight was accomplished with magic this was a spell she was unfamiliar with and hadn’t had a chance to exactly practice casting. Her theory was based off the process she had used to travel to Earth the second time, this was all assuming that the dimensions were the same, if they were different then there’s no telling what might happen.

Confetti and balloons suddenly filled the room taking group by surprise. A banner that had WELCOME HOME in a multitude of colors strung itself from the ceiling while a large cake appeared on the table.

“Welcome back my- oh they’re not here…” Discord said looking around the room disappointed.

“Discord, now is not a good time!” Twilight exclaimed.

“Of course it’s not a good time, you haven’t brought them back yet.” Discord retorted making the decorations and cake disappear with a snap of his fingers.

“Okay who told him to come?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Um…I might have mentioned something about it, I mean he did seem concerned when I told him his friend vanished.” Fluttershy said sheepishly.

“I wouldn’t dream of losing the only other chaotic being in this world.” Discord said.

Twilight shook her head turning her attention once again to the task at hoof. The stone started to glow a soft magenta as Twilight’s magic levitated it into the slot just above the mirror where Sunset Shimmer’s book had been moments ago.

“Okay, time to bring our friends back.’ Twilight said leveling her horn at the mirror.

The alicorn’s horn shone brightly due to her concentration on the stone and mirror. There was a low humming noise as the stone started to glow red. The mirror’s glass shimmered and warped into a red vortex that slowly spun counter clockwise.

“Come on Twi, you can do it!” Applejack cheered as the vortex started to spin faster.

Twilight’s face twisted into one of pain as she strained to keep the connection. Through her mind’s eye she could see them, just beyond her reach. The more she focused on them the closer she became until they were only inches away.

The stone’s light had started to grow dim and Twilght felt the gap she had worked so hard to close reforming as fatigue set in. She forced herself to keep going closing a bit of the distance but unable to get as close as she had been.

I can’t give up! Twilight thought to herself.

The vortex flickered like a dying flame as the spell started to lose power. It required a constant flow in order for the reversal to work and retrieve something or somepony that had been banished instead of casting them out of a realm.

Discord watched the alicorn, impressed by the amount of effort it was taking to break reality between two dimensions. The draconequus tapped his chin as he studied the mirror and stone from a distance before approaching them with a grin on his face.

“Discord what are you doing?” Fluttershy asked.

“Helping.” Discord replied before snapping the padded fingers from his lion paw and the fingers of his eagle hand in unison.

---

Isabella flipped the light switch in the hallway off as they ran past it, no longer caring if the cameras saw them or not. The guards knew they were in the building and the police officers were actively pursuing them through the museum.

“I thought you said she knew what she was doing?” Isabella asked.

“She does, just give her time Izzy.” I replied.

“There they are!” yelled a voice as a light fell upon us.

I grabbed my sister by the arm and pulled her quickly around a corner, desperately searching for something to buy us a bit of time. I was startled by a sudden screech and what appeared to be a long snout in my face.

A motion sensor had been tripped causing an animatronic dinosaur to lunge at me. We had to push forward, setting off more of the jump scare animatronics as we proceeded through the exhibit.

“Contrary to popular belief Velociraptors were nowhere near the size of those depicted in movies. Instead th-“ the voice trailed off as we left the hallway.

“Thank God that’s over with.” Isabella said.

“It was getting to the good part.” Spike sulked.

I could hear the screams of the dinosaurs again as we were followed, the officers having to maneuver their way through the maze as we had. One of them called the poor animatronics a name that I couldn’t distinguish, but I’m sure it wasn’t pleasant.

“Guys we’re about out of building.” Isabella said.

“I didn’t come all this way to rot in a jail cell.” I said turning left since it was the only option left to us.

I looked out the window to see if any more police cars had arrived. I caught a glimpse of a bright star in the sky, it was unusually bright compared to the others and found it odd, almost enchanting. The sound of heavy footsteps brought me back to reality.

A set of stairs came into view leading up to some sort of balcony that overlooked a brass model of the world. Making a judgment call on the fly I opted to lead us up them if only to buy a few more precious seconds.

We couldn’t assault a police officer, the whole gun thing ruled out any kind of retaliation except running. I was amazed we had been able to stay away this long. The building and the dark had probably helped us keep our distance, though neither of which would matter now.

Two pairs of lights fell on us from below the stairs and the officers slowly ascended, keeping their lights leveled, and quite possibly their hand gun which couldn’t be seen.

“Don’t move!” ordered one of the officers.

“Jesus what is that?” one of them asked as the light shined on Noctra who hissed.

“It’s…my pet demon, yeah real nasty.” I said walking towards them which in turn made the police officers back away.

“Guys it’s fake just cuff these idiots.” another said nonchalantly.

“Who are you calling fake?” Noctra said turning her head towards the man who had called her fake.

“Holy shit!” the officer said dropping his flashlight.

Even with Noctra’s appearance keeping the police at bay it was only buying us a few seconds. They wouldn’t stay intimidated forever, especially when they found out she wasn’t actually a demon. It felt like the rug was being pulled out from under me by some sick twist of fate.

It actually felt like something was pulled out from under me as I fell down to the cold tile floor. I noticed Isabella had been drug down as well. Scootaloo remained in my sister’s backpack somehow while Spike was shaken from mine by the force of the next pull.

The police officers were hesitating, unsure what to do as a low hum built to a deafening high pitched whine. I felt another forceful pull as light started to flood the room forcing my eyes shut.

I suddenly felt as if I was on a slide, only instead of riding it down correctly I had opted to slide down backwards. A part of me was relieved that Twilight had come through for us. I smiled, waiting for the sensation to end.

Once it did I opened my eyes abruptly as I felt nothing beneath me for a few seconds. I looked down and saw I was on a collision course with a marbled floor below me.

“Oh s-“ I said, before I felt surrounded by something soft and cool.

I looked around and took note of my surroundings. There were pillars and other statues around me that were expertly crafted giving me a good idea as to where I was. I then noticed the blue aura around me as I was slowly lowered to the ground at a much more comfortable speed brining me eye level to several ponies who were clearly upper class.

“Daniel, tis a pleasure to see that thou hast returned safely…though we must inquire as to what ends brought thee to night court?” Luna asked as her aura left me.

“I’m not quite sure Princess, but uh you know me, had to stop by and say hello to you first.” I said with a nervous laugh.

For a split second I could have sworn I saw a blush before Luna cleared her throat and called for a guard. I looked around at all of the nobles, the expressions within their crowd mixed with disgust and amusement.

“We are certain your friends have been awaiting your return. We shall detain thee no longer.” Luna said.

I followed the guard out of the court room and grinned when the double doors opened to reveal a familiar white unicorn. The terrified expression on his face was priceless and was well worth being brought to Canterlot Castle by some twist of fate.

“Sup buddy?” I asked.

---

Isabella rubbed her head as she woke up. There was a magenta light in front of her that disappeared when she reached out to touch it.

“Not too fast now darling, you took quite a fall.” a kind voice said.

Isabella looked around her to find herself surrounded by curious ponies. Another creature was tall and serpentine like, mixed with a bunch of different animal limbs and parts. Isabella sat in silence for a while not registering any questions she might have been asked.

“Can you hear me?” asked a purple unicorn that also had wings like Scootaloo.

“Umm, yeah…you’re Twilight right?” Isabella asked in return.

“Indeed, I think it’s safe to assume you’re Izzy?” Twilight asked with a smile.

“Isabella actually, Izzy is a nickname my brother gave me.” Isabella replied.

She looked around and saw a swirling vortex contained within a mirror. Inside a container was the stone that had caused all of this in the first place though instead of a soft blue it was now red. She was just glad to be out of the close situation with the police.

“Oh crap! Where’s Scootaloo and Spike?!” Isabella asked getting to her feet.

“Don’t you fret none, they made it.” the one Daniel had described as Applejack said as she pointed with her hoof.

Isabella followed the hoof and saw Spike sleeping peacefully with Scootaloo next to Fluttershy. They had been through a rough time and it had finally caught up with them.

“As for you, you’re going to be lucky if you can feel anything below the neck once I’m through with you!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed cornering Noctra.

“Skittles wait!” Isabella exclaimed stirring Spike and Scootaloo from their sleep.

“Skittles?” Rainbow Dash asked flatly.

“Noctra helped us, she’s the main reason we’re here right now.” Isabella said putting herself between Rainbow Dash and the bat pony.

“That still doesn’t change what she did!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

“Rainbow Dash it’s true, she’s not a bad pony.” Scootaloo said groggily.

“But…” Rainbow Dash said looking at Scootaloo then back to Noctra.

Twilight walked past Rainbow Dash and Isabella until she was in front of Noctra. She looked down at the bat pony that had pressed herself against the wall trying to look as small as possible now that she was in the presence of the princess she had stolen from.

“Thank you for helping my friends.” Twilight said.

Noctra looked up at Twilight with uncertain eyes. The bat pony slowly got to her feet while averting her gaze to the ground. Any previous sign of pride had been chased away in the presence of Twilight, her fate resting in her very hooves.

“I’m sorry I stole from you. It was just a job, I didn’t know it would affect others the way it did…I was desperate for the bits.” Noctra said.

“I forgive you.” Twilight said taking the bat pony by surprise.

“Thank you…” Noctra said quietly.

Twilight smiled, even though she had every right to be mad she knew Noctra wasn’t evil. The bat pony had just gone through a difficult time and lashing out at her would only make things worse at this point. Besides tonight wasn’t the night for pointing hooves or casting judgment.

“Hey where’s Danny?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“Pinkie’s right, everypony is here and accounted for except him.” Rarity said.

“I’m sure he’s just fine, I can tell he entered Equestria…he’s headed here now actually.” Discord said reclining on his tail.

“Couldn’t you have brought him here?” Fluttershy asked.

“Chaos can be a bit unpredictable under pressure, even for me.” Discord replied rolling his eyes until they literally came loose like screws and hit the floor before he picked them up again.

“So will you be staying in Equestria as well?” Twilight asked turning to Isabella.

“That all depends on how you guys feel about me being here. I thought it might be cool to see new some places.” Isabella replied.

“Ah don’t see why another human couldn’t fit in if one already has.” Applejack said.

---

The carriage came to a stop outside the castle in Ponyville, a sight that was a blessing for sore eyes after the dull colors of Earth. Even at night it was still more vibrant than the most extravagant buildings back home as it was illuminated by the moon.

“Thanks guys.” I said waving as the night guard departed from the castle.

I greeted the guards at the door who seemed happy for a change. Once I was inside I walked a bit faster, anxious to know what had become of the others. I wondered if they had been scattered to the wind like me, or if I had been a special case.

I remembered Noctra and my mind started to create scenarios of what Twilight might do to her. None of them ended well.

I finally reached the door that led to Twilight’s library and pushed on it. Streamer and balloons filled the room as well as an oversized chocolate cake. A smile crossed my face when I saw a familiar pink earth pony taking a big bite out of it.

When her gaze met mine her eyes lit up with excitement. With speed that was on par with Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie tackled me in a hug and started to squeeze, a bit too tight.

"OhDannyweweresoworriedaboutyouguys!Twilightcouldn'tsleep!RainbowDashwasworried sickaboutScootalooand-" Pinkie Pie said as she continued to hug me tighter.

"Pinkie...too tight..." I wheezed as I was painfully reminded that earth ponies were super strong by nature.

"Alright now, give him some breathin’ room. It's good ta have ya back" Applejack said prying Pinkie Pie off me.

"Did the others make it?" I asked.

"We made it, where did you go?" Isabella asked with a smirk.

"I had a brief visit with Princess Luna, so that was fun...where's Noctra?" I asked.

Isabella side stepped to reveal a bat pony that was still sulking, but other than remorse seemed to be fine. I was certain she would have been hauled off by now if not for some form of intervention.

"She explained the situation to us, and I've forgiven her for it." Twilight said.

"I was afraid I wasn't going to get to you guys in time, I'm glad Izzy was here." I said.

I saw Scootaloo in the corner with Sweete Belle and Applebloom. I could hear bits and pieces of their conversation as she told them about her adventures on Earth. I could tell Spike was tired, but he was doing his best to stay awake.

"So this is your sister? You don't really look alike now do you?" Discord asked.

"I guess not, but yeah she's my sister Discord." I replied.

"I simply adore her mane err...hair rather." Rarity said.

I smiled as Rarity and my sister continued to chat. I looked over at Rainbow Dash. She smiled and nodded her head in my direction, keeping her cool personality on display. I felt a gentle tug on my pants leg and turned around to see Twilight motion with her head for me to follow her.

"Do you think they'll be as skittish around her as they were me?" I asked once we were away from eveypony else.

"I think things will be okay. She doesn't seem like the studious type though." Twilight replied.

Isabella would have to endure that nightmare of a test I had to, and she hated test of any kind. She hated studying even more unless it was something that she was interested in, then you could hold her attention for more than ten seconds. Though Twilight was in for a surprise if she underestimated Isabella; she was quite smart despite her goofy and carefree personality.

"Thanks for letting Noctra off by the way." I said.

"She said she plans on going back to her family, hopefully she can start over. I just hope she's learned her lesson." said Twilight.

“I think she has.” I said as we approached a closed balcony window.

As we approached a large window I looked out to see Ponyville. Most of the ponies were already asleep given the lack of lights that illuminated the sleepy, peaceful town. After being in the busy, loud cities of Earth again, I felt at peace here.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming Eve Twilight.” I said.

“Merry Christmas Daniel.” said Twilight.

Author's Note:

This is the end of the first story arc. I apologize this took so long to post. At any rate I hope you've enjoyed this story arc.