• Published 24th Sep 2014
  • 7,852 Views, 150 Comments

Never Wish - Ximer



Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

  • ...
31
 150
 7,852

Pencils Down

“Rise and shine sleepy head.” came Fluttershy’s voice stirring me from my sleep.

“I don’t wanna.” I moaned rolling over to form a cocoon of sheets around me.

“Today’s your test though remember?” Fluttershy asked.

I slowly rose off the couch smelling something familiar, something I hadn’t smelt in a long time. Its scent was distinct and troubled me a bit as well as served to clear my mind of sleep at a faster pace than I was willfully doing myself.

“Fluttershy, I thought we had a deal, no more meat.” I said while the predatory part of my mind was ready to throw a party.

Living amongst a population of herbivores was difficult when meat had been a staple part of my diet in some shape or form. On my second day in Equestria I had made a promise to never eat meat again for the sake of trying to adjust. It was a part of my humanity I kept suppressed and a secret.

It drove me mad at times, and it had been extremely hard to keep myself from giving in. The more I thought about it and dwelt on it, the more I wanted it.

“I know, but you’ve been putting a lot of time and energy towards this test so I thought I would try to boost your spirits a bit.” Fluttershy said presenting the plate before me.

I looked at the clock and came to the quick realization that I didn’t have a whole lot of time to debate the matter. This time the filet was a bit bigger which raised so many questions in my mind about its source. I still found it amazing how such a soft spoken, timid pony could prepare this.

I took a bite and had to stop myself from letting out a moan of sweet satisfaction. This blew fruit completely out of the water in terms of taste and texture. I couldn’t help myself from consuming the entire filet Fluttershy had made much faster than she had anticipated.

“Goodness that was fast.” Fluttershy said as I finished.

“I’m sorry.” I said sheepishly.

“I didn’t realize it was that important to you. You seemed to really like it at least.” Fluttershy said with a soft smile.

“Heh, yeah I guess I got a bit carried away there. Fruits and veggies are good and all but I’ll always have a heart for something a bit more filling. Let’s stick to our original deal from now on I promise I’ll be okay.” I said knowing I was lying to myself but it was something I’d get over, eventually.

“Okay, but you’ve got some where to be.” Fluttershy said doing her best to hurry me up stairs familiar with my morning routine by now.

I missed being able to stand and shower, but small sacrifices had to be made in order to live here. My sister wouldn’t have stood for less though. Despite being the more adventurous of us she refused baths and only took showers, even if there hadn’t been any other option, she wasn’t exactly the girly type.

I looked at myself in the mirror once I was out of the tub and noticed my hair was starting to grow out a bit. I preferred keeping it short, but I didn’t have the time or patience to try cutting it myself. My hair wasn’t the only thing I noticed that seemed off. The last time I had stopped to really look at my reflection, my human reflection, I was home.

Two tired and worn out eyes that had seen more than their fair share of trouble had stared back at me. Now I saw someone I didn’t recognize, a person who was slowly starting to let go of some things in life. I smiled a bit at the sight so engrossed in my personal growth that I almost didn’t hear the door open.

For some strange reason humans seem preprogrammed to turn, spin, or at least look in the direction of a noise that seems out of place. A door opening, especially one to a bathroom, that you yourself aren’t moving is a noise that warrants such attention. What it doesn’t warrant is being disrobed and dripping wet fresh out of the tub.

I turned to see Fluttershy who didn’t seem fazed by my lack of clothing which made sense; she saw lord knows how many animals before. What made it awkward was how I froze in place like a kid caught stealing a cookie.

“I was just coming up here to check on you. You were tak-.” Fluttershy started to say before I bent over in an awkward attempt to cover myself.

“Close the door please!” I exclaimed trying my best not to sound mean or upset.

With a small whimper Fluttershy closed the door but the lack of her hooves clacking against the floor told me she was still there. I quickly slid on my pants before giving her the go ahead to come back in.

“Are you okay?” Fluttershy asked.

“I’m fine, I just didn’t expect to be caught with my pants off…literally.” I replied.

“I don’t see what the big deal is, you seem to be in decent health and-“ Fluttershy started, giving me an analysis from just a quick glance which confirmed my fear, she had seen it, all of it.

“Aaddadadbleh…let’s not go into an explanation of why you think I’m healthy.” I said cutting her off.

The Pegasus looked confused. To them I was just another creature, one that wore clothes all the time which wasn’t a common practice. If I had chosen to walk around with nothing on they probably wouldn’t think any differently of me, clearly Fluttershy didn’t which was comforting and a bit disturbing at the same time.

“Oh umm okay, anyways we need to hurry. Sorry if I interrupted you.” Fluttershy said closing the door behind her.

I sighed telling myself that they didn’t view clothes the same way. Come to think of it I had been nude for three days here, though I looked no different than the next pony which made the experience and claim void in my mind.

“Time to change citizenship.” I said shaking off the awkward moment.

---

Any sign that the town had celebrated Nightmare Night had been taken down with a surprising amount of speed. I guess they preferred a tidy environment, the decorations at home, no matter the holiday, would stay out for quite some time which was procrastination at its finest. This was especially true when Christmas lights were still out in the middle of February.

Fluttershy had escorted me to what she informed me was town hall and for some reason the only thing that popped into my head was the little tune from the Pokemon Red and Blue games at the indigo plateau. For some odd reason ever since I heard that tune it would always pop into my mind right before a test in school, some things never change I guess.

A few of the ponies seemed shocked as I walked up the small steps to the doors of town hall. I sighed nervously; this is what I had been working towards for a while now. I had made my choice and it was time to see it through to the end.

I opened the doors to see Twilight already inside. She had told me these test were normally held in Canterlot but given the odd circumstances she had managed to have special accommodations arranged.

“You must be Daniel.” said what I had to assume was at least a middle aged mare if that was a thing.

She had on glasses and her mane was grey and white giving her the appearance of an older pony, but her coat didn’t match her age. Then again I wasn’t quite sure how ponies aged and what changed first

“That would be me ma’am.” I said.

“I’m Mayor Mare, if you would be so kind as to follow me we can get you started.” she said walking towards a set of double doors within the building.

“We can’t go with you, not here. This is something you have to do for yourself. I’ve seen your progress though; I know you can do this.” Twilight said.

“Yeah, I’m glad somepony thinks so.” I said following Mayor Mare.

I followed the earth pony into a vacant room which was eerily quiet. There was a folder at a desk that was closed which I assumed held the test. Twilight was right when she said I would be alone, the mayor was the only other occupant in the room.

I opened the folder and flipped through the questions curiously, one in particular catching my eye. I smiled as I studied it to confirm its presence and ensure I wasn’t misreading it.

“Forty two times twelve.” I said quietly.

---

“Where is he?” Rarity asked as the others followed her into town hall.

“He’s already inside.” Fluttershy replied.

“We didn’t get to wish him good luck though.” Pinkie Pie said sulking.

“I’m sure he knows ya wanted to wish him luck Pinkie, ya just gotta have a little faith in him.” Applejack said.

“Applejack’s right, he’s worked hard for this. I’ll admit there have been a few bumps along the way but I think he’ll do fine.” Twilight added.

“How long does he have to get through it?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Two hours, he shouldn’t need that long, but given the circumstances I wouldn’t be surprised if he cuts it a bit close.” Twilight replied.

Twilight was just as curious as the others in wondering how Daniel was doing. She could easily check in on him, not physically, but mentally with her magic. As easy as it was she had promised herself that she wouldn’t interfere today.

Two hours was a long time and one by one Twilight's friends had started to grow restless. They had at least found ways to amuse themselves while they waited. Be it reading or in the case of a certain cyan colored pegasus, napping.

"Twi, I don't mean to be a downer, but ain't he been in there a while now?" Applejack asked looking up at the clock.

Twilight bit her lip nervously tempted just to take a quick peek, but reason won over temptation by a small margin. She had to trust him, if anything was holding him up it was probably civics and he couldn't afford to miss too many in that particular category.

"I agree, it's getting close to the two hour mark." Rarity said nervously.

No sooner had Rarity brought up the subject of time the door to the room Daniel had walked in opened. Mayor Mare walked out with a folder followed shortly there after by their human friend. He wore an uneasy look on his face which made Twilight nervous and she immediately assumed the worst.

---

"How do you think you did?" Twilight asked looking anxious.

"I would like to know why a test for something like this has so many questions when in my world it's short sweet and to the point?" I asked ranting a bit.

"That bad?" Twilight asked cringing.

"Oh no, I should pass this no problem, I was just frustrated is all." I replied.

"I worry about you sometimes." Twilight said.

The test had been tedious and annoying more so than hard or complicated. History was a pain and I would rather drill a hole in my head that sit through that again. I was praying that this would be the only time I would have to endure this sick punishment devised by these adorable equines.

I noticed the greeting party, a few of its members either passed out asleep or preoccupied with something else. I was a bit stunned to see them knowing that they had other things they probably needed to take care of.

"How long have they been here?" I asked.

"Since you walked through the door." Twilight replied.

"He's out!" Pinkie Pie shouted causing Rainbow Dash to roll off the bench she had fallen asleep on and onto the floor in surprise.

"Didyoupassordoyouknowyetofcourseyoudidafterallwehelpedyouwithitsoyoushouldpassnoproblemwhichisgoodbecausenowwe'llbeabletothrowyouthepartythatIwasgoingtothrowyouinthefirstplacebutdidn'tbecauseyouaskedmenottobecauseyoudidn'tthinkanyponywouldshowupbutIbettheywouldhave." the pink mare said rappidly making my head hurt trying to process it all.

"How was it? It wasn't too torturous was it?" Rarity asked.

"Ain't no torture in a test Rarity." Applejack said.

"It was just really long and slightly annoying." I replied.

"So what now? Can he finally do things everypony else can?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"The assessment of his test shouldn't take as long as it did putting the answers down, we'll know if he can soon." Twilight replied.

If the situation were less tense I would have used the classic line of "win or lose I tried" but since my future here hung on the result that came back I held my peace. This had to go through no question about it.

"Ugh more waiting." Rainbow Dash complained.

Despite her tone the mare's drawn back ears gave her true feelings away. She was just as worried as the others. Rainbow Dash seemed to have a knack for keeping a cool atmosphere about her even in a stressful situation.

Waiting for the results was almost as stressful as taking the test itself. Twilight would occasionally ask me a question in the hopes of it being on the test and receiving a correct answer from me even if it wasn't. She cringed once or twice at my answers which made an uncomfortable feeling start to form in my stomach.

Fluttershy put her hoof against my shoulder hoping to calm me down. It helped but I still couldn't get the possibility of a complete failure out of my mind. I felt pretty confident about the answers I had picked.

After what felt like an eternity the mayor called for Twilight and I to join her in her office. Papers were stacked on top of her desk in a half organized half chaotic manner which didn't surprise me since she was involved in politics.

"Did he pass Mayor Mare?" Twilight asked, she seemed more anxious about the answer than I did.

"While his knowledge is to be commended and I can tell you put a lot of effort towards this...you passed, just barely though." Mayor Mare replied.

Both Twilight and I sighed in relief almost in sync. It was finally over, all of those study sessions had paid off in the end. Twilight was a pretty decent teacher.

"Was it history?" I asked.

"Yes that's where most of your trouble was, but you met the minimum requirements so no need to worry." the earth pony replied.

"Well now that we know I won't be pursuing a teaching profession what happens now?" I inquired as the weight of uncertainty lifted itself from my shoulders.

"That's up to you from now on, after we get your signature on a few more papers, congratulations." Mayor Mare said taking me by surprise.

"Thanks." I said still processing the fact that somepony other than my small circle of friends had given me any kind of positive response.

"Is something wrong?" the earth pony asked concern in her tone.

"I don't think he's used to positive feed back just yet, he'll come around." Twilight said.

I grinned a bit and finished signing the necessary papers, the last line where my signature was needed brought back a flood of emotions I thought I had buried, emotions that I kept bottled up even now. As I signed I couldn't help but feel like I was signing away my old life for good.

It was a haunting feeling that seemed to return in one last defiant attempt to derail my progress, to drag me back down into the pit I had worked so hard to climb out of. That others had helped me escape. Its return was short lived as I put the pen down a slid the papers to Mayor Mare.

As quickly as it came the depressing feeling, my demon, passed. If that fateful day in Twilight's castle hadn't given me enough closure, this certainly did, especially when a small blue card was given to me.

"Now you can say you're one of us." Twilight said.

I left the office with a sense of peace. It was the type of peace that comes from accomplishing a task with a lot at stake. Outside the other five ponies were waiting anxiously for the verdict I had been given.

"I passed." I said only to be immediately knocked to the ground as I received a group hug.

This was why I stayed behind, as odd as it may sound I felt happier here than I did in my own world. While there were a few things that this world could never replace I was still happy for a change.

"Pinkie, now we can have that party." I said as I was released from the hug.

The earth pony's eyes lit up with excitement and glee. I felt as if I had just opened Pandora's box, but what good is an unopened box anyways.

"You mean it!?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"Yes Pinkie, and don't worry about the details, surprise me...just no coconut if you do make a cake, I'm not a fan of coconut." I replied.

"Leave it to me! You need to go somewhere else though." Pinkie Pie said pointing a hoof at me.

"So where exactly do you want me to go then?" I asked.

"Ya could pay Crafty Crate a visit." Applejack suggested.

It had been on my list of things to do once I became common knowledge, now seemed a good a time as any. Before I could think more on the matter I felt myself being shoved towards the door. Pinkie Pie meant business when it came to planning parties, when she said she wanted me gone she apparently meant now.

Taking the hint I left the building unable to make out what she was saying as the doors closed. Applejack had opted to stick with me since I still had no idea where this Crafty Crate pony was.

"So is this stallion, or mare, a pretty down to earth pony?" I asked.

"He's a stallion, and he's actually a pegasus." Applejack replied.

I wondered why she had danced around my question until I realized how I had worded it. When an earth pony was an actual race of pony it made the figure of speech a bit more complicated to use if not completely useless.

"So is this pegasus pretty mellow or is he up tight?" I asked rewording my question.

“He’s a pretty decent one; just don’t get on his bad side and yer good.” Applejack replied as we approached what looked like a post office.

“Huh…wonder if Ditzy’s in there?” I asked aloud.

“You met Ditzy Doo? How’d that turn out?” Applejack asked.

“Well I was a pony when it happened so it was pretty casual, now though…yeah I'm not going to hold my breath.” I replied.

“Just keep yer spirits up, sides the way I see it you ain’t no different after that test. You belong here just as much as they do.” Applejack said pushing the door open.

All small talk and work flow within the building ceased once I ducked through the door behind Applejack. The interior of the post office was what one would expect, a wall lined with small boxes with locks on them, postal boxes. I could see over the counter easily into a back room where several sorters were shifting through the mail putting letters in bags.

“Umm can I help you?” a lemon colored earth pony asked.

“I’m here to see Crafty Crate.” I said nervously.

The earth pony looked to one of her pegasi co-workers who motioned with her head towards an office in the back. The baby blue mare waved to me, apparently one of the ponies in Ponyville that had come to terms with me dwelling here.

A tannish colored pegasus returned with the earth pony, his cutie mark was a simple box. The stallion seemed to have a rough exterior and if his facial expression was any indication of his personality then this would be an interesting conversation to say the least.

“You wanted to see me?” Crafty Crate asked his voice actually intimidating me.

“Uh…yes?” I replied.

“You don’t sound too sure of yourself. You sure you wanted to see me?” Crafty Crate asked.

“He’s sure, just a bit nervous is all.” Applejack said stepping in.

The stern looking pegasus looked at Applejack, then back up at me. “Alright, let’s take this to my office.” he said leading us behind the counter.

I found Crafty Crate’s office to be a bit cramped. Being made to house ponies and not an alien from another world left little room for me to fit into the confined space.

“Okay Applejack what’s this about?” Crafty Crate asked

“Well Crafty I was hopin’ I could talk ya into giving Daniel here a chance to get his hooves wet working in Ponyville.” Applejack replied.

“Him? Applejack you’re a good mare and I know you’re an honest judge of character, but I don’t see what he can bring to the work force.” Crafty Crate said.

“If he can keep up with me I think he can keep up with yer ponies here.” Applejack said.

“Hmm he’s got size going for him…but that’s also an inconvenience as well. Kicking trees and delivering items are two different things. I’m sorry but I don’t think this would be an ideal work environment.” Craft Crate said.

Applejack snorted at the dismissal and left the office without so much as another word. I slowly stood and was careful not to knock anything over though it was extremely difficult to do so. Applejack’s occupation was anything but a simple one, while the action involved could be summed up to kicking a tree, after preforming the same action over and over it can really start to take a toll on you.

My train of thought was interrupted at the sight of two boxes falling towards me. I caught them with relative ease, taking note of the weight of each box. I took two steps back as my legs adjusted to the sudden weight increase.

I was keenly aware that all eyes were focused on me again which I despised. As I looked around I noticed an earth pony near a broken rope which I assumed had originally held these two boxes together. The stallion had been carrying them on his back most likely when they snapped.

“You okay?” I asked.

“Yeah, you probably just saved my job.” he replied happily.

I set the crates down as I heard the door to Crafty Crate’s office opening. The tan pegasus approached me with a somewhat angry expression. I braced myself for some sort of fit of rage from the pony.

“You want to explain why you’re holding up progress?” Crafty Crate asked with a snort.

“He didn’t sir, the packages slipped, it was my fault. He caught them.” the earth pony said.

Crafty Crate was silent as he looked at the packages I had managed to “save” in time. They looked large enough to house a pony in them but weren’t too heavy. The pegasus seemed to be in deep thought as he looked back up at me narrowing his eyes.

“Tomorrow, be here by six.” Crafty Crate said taking me by surprise.

“Okay?” I said with an uncertain expression plastered on my face.

“You asked for a chance, do you want it or not?” the pegasus asked.

“Yes sir.” I replied.

Crafty Crate dismissed me with a nod and flew back into his office. I would have to work on being a bit more confident around this pony.

“Not the way I figured ya’d get the job, but I guess beggars can’t be chooses.” Applejack said once we were outside the post office.

“Nope, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a bit nervous though. Crafty Crate seems pretty strict.” I said.

“He's a good stallion once ya get to know him." Applejack said.

"Where I'm from that's code for "hey this guy's an asshole but you learn to tolerate him." I said.

Applejack rolled her eyes at my negativity "Well now that yer done with Crafty Crate, what else can ya think of? Pinkie will still want ya to vanish for a bit." she said.

There wasn't really much left on my to-do list. It was pretty nonexistent at the moment and I didn't feel like adding to it either. There wasn't much else left to do but enjoy the rest of the day until Pinkie Pie was finished with whatever it was she had planned.

"I'll find something to amuse myself with. Maybe just relax or take a walk, heck I might even take a nap." I said.
---
I woke up to the sound of the clock alerting me of the time. The sun was already being lowered and I cursed for having slept so long. The others had told me to stay out of town for a bit and looking at the clock I felt as if I had overdone it a bit.

“Oh good your awake, umm I’m supposed to take you to-I mean I need you to come with me.” Fluttershy said correcting herself.

“It’s cool Fluttershy, I’ll act surprised I promise.” I said coming to the conclusion why she had been waiting for me.

“Was I that bad?” Fluttershy asked dejectedly.

“No, it’s just we already talked about it so it’s not a surprise surprise. I meant I wanted Pinkie to do whatever she thought was best when I said surprise me.” I said.

“Oh, that makes sense. Promise you’ll act surprised?” Fluttershy asked.

“I promise.” I replied.

We both left the cottage and headed for Ponyville, our path lit by the slowly setting sun. Everything seemed right for a change, and while I had never had a shipping or postal occupation I didn’t expect it to be too terribly difficult. I just hoped I wouldn’t be a carrier, or whatever it was they called their delivery ponies here.

A breeze rushed past me and I stopped, briefly remembering what it felt like when I had wings and for a few seconds I had what I assumed amputees called phantom limb sensation. It felt as if they were still there, catching the stay breeze as I stretched them out. The chill that traveled down my spine was weaker than it had been and I now fully understood Discord's warning, wanting to go back seemed like a tempting prospect.

Just one more day to try and fly, to feel that rush that I never truly experienced but I had wanted, no needed! I couldn't help myself, those feelings had been a part of me, and I didn't dare mention this to Twilight. I feared what she might say or do.

“Are you okay?” Fluttershy asked.

I realized that I had been standing in the same spot, zoned out longer than any normal person should. I blushed in embarrassment and caught up to the yellow pegasus.

“Yeah I’m fine, just thinking.” I replied.

The tingling sensation lingered but eventually faded as Fluttershy and I carried on our way with a bit of small talk. This hadn’t been the first time this had happened and I could only hope it would stop altogether given enough time.

----

We arrived at a building that seemed closed down for the night and I grinned a little. Pinkie Pie must have convinced everypony that this was a surprise party and had the lights shut off in typical preparation of surprising the pony, or in my case person, of interest.

“Remember you said you’d act surprised.” Fluttershy whispered.

“I know I know…doesn’t look like anypony’s home though, or that this is even a home, looks more like a store.” I said making sure I was a bit louder after I had responded to Fluttershy.

I would play along, I didn’t expect there to be that many inside anyways so what harm could it-

“SURPRISE!” shouted a multitude of voices at once.

Holy shit! I thought to myself nearly jumping out of my skin.

I had been wrong about there not being many attendees to this little party Pinkie had put on for me. I was inside what looked like a pastry shop that was packed with ponies. A large banner hung from the ceiling that said “Welcome Daniel” along with balloons and streamer to bring the party environment together.

“Wow that was really convincing.” Fluttershy said smiling at me.

“I try.” I said as I felt my heart slow down to its regular pace.

“Were you surprised? Were you?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“Yes Pinkie I was really surprised, but how did you convince all of these ponies to come out to this though?” I asked looking around the room.

“All I did was ask, duh.” Pinkie Pie replied with a giggle.

“Really?” I asked baffled.

“I think you sell yourself a bit short dear. Not everypony is out to get you.” Rarity said joining Pinkie Pie in greeting me.

“I guess not.” I said before being nudged from behind.

“Don’t just stand there. You’ve got hooves to shake, speeches to give, foals to kiss.” Pinkie Pie said ushering me towards a crowd.

“That’s what politicians do Pinkie.” I said.

“Details details, just go mingle.” The pink pony said giving me a good shove.

Two pegasi approached me who looked as if they could be twins save for their different hair styles and cutie marks. The mares giggled as they whispered something to each other before speaking to me.

“So what was your world like? Yeah has it been hard getting used to things?” the two pegasi asked.

“It was pretty dull compared to this one, and it’s been hard at times.” I replied making both of them giggle a bit.

“So is there another part of your name or is it just Daniel? Yeah is it supposed to mean something?” they asked as a nearby earth pony stopped by to listen in on my response.

“Well I have a last name but I prefer to be called by my first name so I keep it to myself. My name does mean something actually. It means God is my judge, my mom wanted me to have a decent set of morals I guess…or the name was pretty popular I don’t know.” I said with a shrug.

“Well I’m Flitter and this is Cloudchaser, you seem pretty cool for a hooman…I think I said it right.” Flitter said turning to Cloudchaser.

“Hu-man, and thanks. I don’t want ponies thinking I’m some kind of monster.” I said.

“I think Rainbow Dash put that myth to rest. Everypony was making the claim you’d try to eat her whole though.” a unicorn said from behind me.

“It’s actually impossible for me to do that, besides I wouldn’t eat a friend.” I said.

“So what do you eat?” the earth pony asked.

“Fruit mostly, apples and the like.” I said withholding an incriminating piece of information in terms of my diet.

The questions seemed to be endless and no sooner had one pony grown satisfied with the knowledge they seemed to have about the alien dwelling amongst them, another would take their place. This carried on throughout the night and I started to feel more relaxed around them as I learned their names and a little bit about the community.

I eventually found myself sitting cross legged on the floor instead of standing the entire time. The ponies at the party seemed to prefer the shorter version of me than the towering alien they were familiar with. It was understandably easier to hold a conversation with somepony when they’re eye level with you.

“How’s your party going?” Twilight asked.

“Pretty good, though I probably need to call it a night soon, I have to be up by six.” I replied.

“Applejack told me the good news. I’m very proud of how far you’ve come since you first arrived.” Twilight said unfurling her left wing just enough to allow something to levitate out from under it.

“What am I looking at here boss?” I asked holding what appeared to be a key.

“Just something I managed to put together. If you’re ready to leave we can head that way.” Twilight said.

“He can’t leave yet, not without a parting speech.” Pinkie Pie said.

“Yeah, let’s hear one.” Rainbow Dash said with a laugh raising a cup full of punch above her head.

You’re not helping. I thought to myself.

I was unaware that “parting speeches” were a thing in Equestria, but when in Rome. I nervously cleared my throat as the music that had been playing in the background stopped.

“I honestly didn’t expect a lot of ponies to show up, so thanks for proving me wrong I guess. The ones who really deserve to be celebrated tonight are the friends I’ve made. I would have given up if it wasn’t for them, Applejack, Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie. I hope in time I’ll be able to get to know you all a bit better.” I said.

The ponies seemed satisfied and cheered for a bit before Pinkie Pie became the center of attention at the prospect of starting a new game for the party. Twilight closed the door behind us as the music started back up.

“So are there really parting speeches? Or was that a Pinkie thing?” I asked as I followed the alicorn.

“A Pinkie thing, I thought it was nice though.” Twilight replied.

“It was the truth. So where exactly are you taking me?” I asked.

“You’ll see, trust me it’s not far.” Twilight replied.

“Do you want me to wear a blind fold too?” I asked rhetorically only to feel Twilight’s wing swat me.

I followed Twilight to what seemed like a less populated part of town. While only illuminated by the occasional house light and glow from the moon it seemed peaceful. It didn’t have the busy air about it the more concentrated parts of town had. While I appreciated the walk I was still lost as to why I had been brought here.

“This way.” Twilight said leading me towards one of the house that seemed a bit off.

I noticed the door was roughly my height and while I was a bit dense at times it didn’t take me long to figure out why I was here now. I looked back at the alicorn, stunned at the realization of her true intentions.

“You can’t open it without unlocking it.” Twilight said illuminating the area with her horn.

I unlocked the door and slowly pushed it open. The interior of the house was vacant of any furniture in the main room. I had a thing for empty houses that I couldn’t quite explain, I liked the echo of being inside one and every foot step carried throughout the house.

The most noticeable thing about this particular building however was the ceiling. As trivial as this might have been to a pony, to a six foot tall human who had bumped his head more times than could be considered safe, it was a big deal not having to duck through a door or inside a room.

“Applejack might have mentioned something about you feeling a bit intrusive at Fluttershy’s cottage. Finding a house that had a higher ceiling took a while and the door took a little modifying, but…what do you think?” Twilight asked.

“It’s awesome…I can’t accept this though Twilight…I wanted to earn it and you guys have been nice enough already.” I said.

“Stallions and their pride…you did earn this, you earned the right to be here. I'm pulling the princess card now, don't let anypony ever tell you that you didn't earn this. I watched you earn it. That's not a request." Twilight said looking up at me.

I knelt down to the floor and wrapped my arms around her neck. She tensed a bit before returning the hug. I was grateful to have a friend like Twilight.

"Thank you." I said quietly.

"You're welcome." said Twilight tightening her hold a little.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, I really do like your feed back as always, and I do take it to heart so feel free to leave your thoughts.