• Published 19th Sep 2014
  • 1,448 Views, 101 Comments

Legionnaires of Equestria - thatguyvex



Trixie, Blossomforth, and Coco Pommel are drafted into the Legion and must fight to survive their first campaign against viscious ursans and a new, deadly threat to Equestria

  • ...
3
 101
 1,448

Epilogue: The Underwatch

Epilogue: The Underwatch

Ten days later...

There’d been little rest to be had over the course of the days since the Battle of Beartrap Fortress, a fact that Coldiron was grateful enough for. Working up a sweat kept her mind off of things and gave her a focus. Quick Needle had been on her about getting proper rest and checking in with him at least twice a day to have her horn examined, but she otherwise was able to throw herself into her duties and the days had passed quickly as a result. Channeling magic was still painful, but she could already feel a noticeable difference in the intensity of the headaches, the pain lesser with each rise and fall of the sun. Picking up anything heavier than her dagger or frosting over more than a patch of a training dummy was still beyond her, but she felt confident she could be battle ready in another week or two.

There had so far been little sign or word concerning the Lurkers, a fact that left Coldiron more than a little uneasy. She didn’t doubt the spiders were up to something and it was only a matter of time before they appeared again. As for the ursans the last word from long range scouting patrols had indicated the bulk of the horde had moved further west. While that was encouraging in that it meant another attack wasn’t likely to happen soon, the fact the horde remained together and hadn’t splintered suggested the Warchief who’d united that horde was still in power.

Like the Lurkers, Coldiron suspected they hadn’t heard the last of the ursans either.

Beartrap Fortress had most of its damage repaired by now, the Legion working tirelessly to fix the shattered west gate and the massive gap in the east wall. The fortress not only appeared freshly repaired, but work had begun to reinforce the palisade with additional logs to thicken the defenses, including areas where platforms would be constructed to mount ballistae and catapults. The Legionnaires of Beartrap Fortress had help in these efforts as the troops from Skywoad Keep left behind one of their own regiments when the rest departed to return to their own fortress.

Coldiron did wonder if the Legion would start getting more reinforcements from the Heartland soon. So many troops had been redeployed to the center of Equestria to deal with problems in the Heartland, yet with the resurgence of the ursan threat and the addition of the Lurkers it seemed to Coldiron that the Legion couldn’t afford to leave the Western Barrier Lands under protected. News from the Heartland was sparse, however, so there was no telling when word would be received if or when they’d get more troops.

With a long, easing breath she and a few fellow Legion ponies, including Coco, set down a large tree that’d been felled from the forest. Set down in the courtyard the large trunk of wood would be descended upon by another team of Legionnaires to cut the trunk into the parts needed to build one of the new ballistae platforms. As Coldiron took a quick drink from a waterskin and poured some more of the sweetly cool liquid over her mane to clear some of the sweat she noticed a Legion pony rapidly trotting up from the main keep.

“Sergeant, Captain sent me to fetch you and Private Pommel,” the pony said once he was in earshot.

Coldiron and Coco exchanged looks, Coco showing a quick shrug with a unconcerned cast to her features. Much like Coldiron had done Coco had thrown herself into her tasks. The mare had at times seemed a bit too focused to Coldiron. She’d seen ponies react a lot of different ways to dealing with the pressures of warfare, and she was worried what Coco might’ve been keeping bottled up. Still she couldn’t deny that Coco had fought well and earned the respect that many of her fellow Legionnaires now showed the former seamstress. Coco had been granted the use of a claymore, the same blade she’d used to slay an ursan on the palisade, and Coldiron had seen the mare training with the sword even when she was supposed to be off duty.

The Legion stallion led her and Coco into the keep, passing by work crews scurrying left and right across the courtyard. The echo of hammers and saws faded once they were inside the keep itself, only to be replaced by the pounding of metal and wood from other ponies repairing the remaining damage to the keeps own walls. Going up to the top floor Coldiron blinked in surprise when she saw two other ponies standing outside the door to the Captain’s office.

“Oh hey! Coldiron, Coco, how’s it going?” asked Blossomforth, smiling brightly at the two of them. Next to her Trixie yawned, looking haggard as she smoothed over some errant strands of her mane. Coldiron didn’t think less of the mare for the bags under her eyes, knowing well that Trixie hadn’t been sleeping much.

“Going as well as could be expected,” said Coco, eyes flicking towards the door, “Any idea what this is about?”

“Not a clue.”

“Trixie is still on night duty and hopes this is important. Trixie’s tent is calling to her with sweet, siren songs of sleep.”

Coldiron turned to the stallion that’d led them there, “Thank you, Private, we’ll take it from here.”

He saluted to her, a gesture she quickly returned, before turning back to the other mares and the door. “Well, we’ll find out soon enough what the Captain wants.”

When she opened the door and they all shuffled inside Counter Charge looked up from a large scroll she’d been reading and gave them a curt nod. Recently promoted to Captain of Beartrap Fortress, Counter Charge seemed to Coldiron to be adapting well to her new role and rank. She was often as not out there working alongside the troops, but she took the needed time to ensure the ludicrous amount of paperwork to keep the fort going was also taken care of. Coldiron felt glad for her freshly minted superior, feeling that there could be no better replacement for the late Captain Runeward.

“Legionaries, at ease,” Counter Charge said after the four mares stood at attention and gave salutes. Coldiron stood at rest, waiting patiently to hear what this was about. Counter Charge’s hoof was tapping the scroll she’d been reading and Coldiron noticed off to the side of the desk was an open messenger scroll tube of the kind fast peagasi couriers carried.

Counter Charge’s eyes slowly scanned each of them in turn, then back to the scroll at her hooves.

“These are new orders passed down from the highest authority in the Legion, Prince Terrato himself. They authorize the formation of a new Special Task Force.”

Coldiron almost stuttered at that, her eyes bulging slightly. The Heartlander mares next to her all looked confused and Trixie asked, “What does that mean?”

Counter Charge smiled patiently, “Among the various branches of the Legion’s forces are specialized units. Special Operations are our elite squads for dealing with difficult tasks. Logistics Operations ensures all the Legion’s supply needs are met. Air Superiority Operations control all the Legion’s airship fleets.These are examples of Special Task Forces.”

There was a brief pause from the Captain, the blue coated mare having a look as if she herself was surprised by what she was saying, “Due to the reports we have given concerning the threat of the Lurkers the Prince has decided that a new Special Task Force will be needed to act as a counter unit. Underwatch Operations. It will be charged with the... monumental task of scouting the caverns and tunnels beneath all of Equestria, studying and analyzing the nature of the Lurker threat, and if need be engage and neutralize any such threats the Lurkers pose in the future.”

She leaned back in her seat, letting out a slow breath, “Because the four of you have the most direct experience dealing with the Lurkers you’ve been reassigned to this newly formed unit. Three of you, at any rate, with Private Blossomforth being in a unique position.”

Coldiron was still reeling from this news when Trixie stepped forward, brows furrowed, “Hold on a moment, can we just be reassigned like that? We have no say?”

“These are orders from the Prince,” Counter Charge said simply, though there was sympathy in her tone, “I would have wanted you mares to have some time to rest and recover more from your ordeals and ease into the more quiet and mundane parts of Legion life, but that is out of my hooves. The Prince wants this unit to have as much of an edge as it can against the Lurkers and the fact simply is that you mares are the only ones who have fought them more than once. I’m afraid there’s nothing I can do.”

“Um, you said there was something unique about me?” Blossomforth asked curiously.

“Yes. As it happens the Prince is not without some measure of... reasonableness. Because of your injuries, Private Blossomforth, you’ve been given a choice. You can either join Logistics Operations, in which case you’ll likely be assigned to their new office in Canterlot, or you can choose to join Underwatch Operations as a full field soldier.”

“What!?” Trixie exclaimed, “Why would she choose anything other than to go home!? She doesn’t have...” the former showmare snapped her jaws shut, looking pained as she cast an apologetic look at Blossomforth, “Trixie is sorry, she didn’t mean to bring it up.”

“Its fine, Trixie, really...” Blossomforth said, eyes turning distant as she looked upward at nothing, “I guess I really could go home. Logistics doesn’t sound hard, and I’d be back in Equestria.”

Counter Charge nodded, “It’d be boring work, but safe. Regardless of what you choose you’ll still have some time with your friends. An airship is arriving in a few days to transport you all to Canterlot. As it happens the Underwatch will be organizing in that city until a permanent headquarters for it can be decided upon.”

“Alright, so let me get this straight,” Blossomforth said, face still and pensive,”If I join up with the Logistics ponies, then my friends here will still be stuck fighting down there in the dark... without me?”

“Blossomforth, I don’t mean to sound harsh,” said Coco, “But without your wings could you still fight?”

Blossomforth glanced towards Coco, frowning, “I don’t know, but I’d be willing to try. Besides, we’d be stuck down in cramped tunnels and caves. Not like wings would help out much down there anyway.”

“Trixie thinks you should choose Logistics! It’d be safer. You needn't worry over us. Trixie will make sure nothing bad happens.”

“I appreciate it, Trixie. I do, really. But...” Blossomforth’s eyes shined with a determined light as she looked at Counter Charge, “I’ll join Underatch Operations. I made a promise to survive these four years with Trixie, and I’m not backing out on that by letting her and my friends go into danger alone. Wings or not, I can still fight.”

Coldiron’s chest tightened with the rising feeling of respect she felt for this pegasus, and she took a step forward, giving Counter Charge another salute, “Captain ma’am, I believe then that you have four Legionnaires ready and willing to take on this new assignment.”

Coco nodded as well, saluting, “Ursans or Lurkers, I will confront the enemies of peace in Equestria with my life!”

Trixie looked at the mares around her, a grimace on her face, but one that soon enough melted into a look no less determined than the one that was on Blossomforth. Her salute was a tad sloppy, but it was steady. “Trixie shall do what she must to keep these crazy mares alive until this is over.”

Blossomforth was grinning widely, a bit of moisture forming in her eyes as she stood beside her friends and saluted, “So, when does Underwatch Operations move out?”

Counter Charge, a respectful smile on her face, returned the four mares’ salutes and said, “You leave tomorrow morning to Canterlot. You’ll be reporting to Captain Windstriker.”

Coldiron noticed Trixie twitch slightly at that name and wondered why. She didn’t questioning it then, however, and instead asked Counter Charge, “Just how large is this new unit going to be?”

“The orders call for the formation of at least two regiments, with more to be formed as needed depending on the extent of the Lurker threat,” replied Counter Charge, “Legionnaires will be drawn from all the Barrier Lands, so you’ll be working with ponies from the north and south as well as our own western forces. Don’t be surprised if a few more ponies from Beartrap Fortress end up being called in. It’ll be up to Windstriker how she wants to organize her unit, but I suspect you’ll have many new comrades to meet.”

Counter Charge then stood from her chair, coming around her desk to stand in front of the four mares with a look of admiration and respect on her countenance.

“Sergeant Coldiron, it has been a true honor serving with you. The Underwatch will be lucky to have you among its ranks. As for the three of you,” she turned to look in turn at Trixie, Blossomforth, and Coco, “You’ve shown me that the Chosen of the Heartland have a courage within you that match, and maybe even surpasses, many of us among the Barrier Lands. You may not have chosen to join these wars, but I feel it may be ponies like you that one day end them.”

----------

An airship arrived a mere two days later. The craft was an eight foot dirigible, its cigar shaped balloon painted a light shade of blue that matched the sky. Underneath the balloon was a nearly fifty foot long gondola that looked much like the hull of a sailing sloop if instead of sails its masts and rigging attached it to the balloon above. Legion ponies wearing thick leather jackets and wearing flight caps with goggles scurried over the airship’s top deck, tossing ropes to their Legion comrades on the ground who then tied the vessel down. Cargo was unloaded from a hatch that opened in the side of the gondola, exposing much of its cargo bay.. Once the unloading was finished one of the crewponies of the airship met with four mares who trotted to the loading ramp of the airship.

Trixie was wearing a clean, light leather jacket, the uniform of a fully fledged battlemage of the Legion. She had a dagger sheathed at her hip and a pair of light saddlebags slung across her withers. Her one good eye looked over the airship intenty.

Next to Trixie, Coldiron was similarly dressed, taking a deep breath that misted in a cold morning air with small white vapors. She didn’t mind the chill air much, letting it brace her for the day. Noticing that Trixie was giving the airship a pensive look Coldiron found herself smirking slightly. “Ever flown on one of these before?”

“We do have airships in Equestria. Used less for war and more for tourism,” said Trixie, who then cleared her throat and said nervously, “But, no Trixie has never flown on one.”

Coldiron kept her chuckle to herself, “Have no fear, Legion airships are very well maintained and crewed with skillful ponies. Crashes almost never happen.”

Trixie blanched.

“Hard to believe we’re heading back so soon,” said Coco Pommel. Her chainmail armor clinked slightly as the mare shifted, adjusting the straps of the large scabbard on her back that held her claymore. A large saddlebag on her right flank contained the parts to assemble her crossbow if she needed it, among other supplies.

“Hey, maybe we can get a little leave time so I can show you around some of my old haunts!” said Blossomforth. She was clad in a set of leather armor that was heavier than what she used to wear. It was still flexible and light for her light pegasus form, but with no wings the armor also was thicker for better protection, since she was not so concerned with being weighted down anymore. A spear was hanging from its harness across one flank and a lighter hoof held crossbow across the other.

“I somehow doubt we will have much time for leave while we're in Canterlot,” said Coldiron, “The Underwatch will form quickly, I imagine, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we were deployed within the week.... to wherever we’ll be needed to find and deal with the Lurkers.”

“Yeesh, Cold, lets think positive for a bit. You’ll be seeing Equestria for the first time! That should be cool.”

“True, I will enjoy seeing this land that I’ve defended all my life.”

The airship crewpony cleared her throat, “Are you mares ready to go? We’re unloaded and can get underway soon as your flanks are on deck.”

“Yes, we’re-” Coldiron said, but was soon cut off by a female voice.

“Waaaait!”

Eyes turned to see a tall, gangly pale coated mare galloping up to them, her head of two toned blue mane bouncing. Allie Way, breathing hard, and wearing a leather battlemage coat and saddlebags, skidded to a halt before them. She looked nervous, even embarrassed, as she struggled to catch her breath from her run.

“Allie Way? What are you doing here?” asked Trixie.

The unicorn in question smiled sheepishly as she stood at attention and gave a haphazard salute, “I spoke with Captain Counter Charge yesterday after you all told me where you were going and... uh... I volunteered to help.”

“Volunteered?” Coldiron asked. Allie Way hastily floated out a small missive from her saddlebag and floated it over to Coldiron. She read the note briefly, recognizing the hoofwriting as Counter Charges.

~She practically begged to go with you lot. I’ve given her a letter to hoof over to Windstriker that recommends her. Figured any mare with the stones to charge an ursan Warchief has earned some small favors. Besides, it takes three unicorns to form a proper spell array. Look after each other. I’ll save a bottle of rum for when I see you next, Sergeant.~

Coldiron laughed lightly, putting the missive in one of her coat pockets, “Well, welcome along, Private Allie Way. You know what you’re getting into?”

Allie Way nodded, through her eyes were wide, “I do, ma’am!”

Blossomforth flashed a toothy smile and slapped Allie Way on the back, “Alright! Now all we gotta do is equip you with a set of bowling balls and we’re set!”

The airship mare cleared her throat loudly, “Now, are you all ready to embark?”

They were, and within minutes the five mares were standing on the airship’s top deck as it rose high into the clear morning sky. It swiftly angled to a course leading east, flying swiftly on a stiff wind that tussled the manes of the ponies on the deck. Down below the thick forests around Beartrap Forest fell away like a carpet of thick moss. The airship’s speed was impressive, driven by a quartet of magically driven propellers that carried it at a brisk pace that ate up the miles.

The journey that had taken Coldiron and her comrades the span of two days flew by in the span of a mere hour, and the township of Arrow Vale could be seen below. There was a bustle of activity in the town’s streets, it’s surviving population returned with the aid of Legion soldiers who had taken up garrison in the town. The tunnels beneath had been barricaded, and the townsponies were alert for the Lurker’s return, but they were getting back to their lives. Strong Back was down there, she knew, though last she’d heard from the young stallion he’d been talking of signing up with the Legion.

Coldiron gazed at the town, her eyes trailing in the direction of the cabin and barn of her family’s farmstead. She could almost make out her bothers out in the fields and wondered if they were looking up at the fast Legion airship passing overhead.

She felt a hoof on her withers and she looked over to see Coco gazing at her kindly, “Bit for your thoughts?”

Coldiron’s eyes shifted back to the distant dot of her family’s farm, rapidly passing. She could make out the swaying green form of the peach tree both her parents now rested under. It somehow looked to Coldiron like the tree was a lone sentry, guarding the farm from harm.

“There is a lot I’ve left behind me,” Coldiron said, “A mother, a father, and a husband. Also no small number of comrades. All of them taken by war. Not long ago I thought that showing any of my... feelings, about those losses was a shameful thing. A sign of weakness, to just cry in front of other ponies.”

She looked back at Coco, letting a shade of a smile onto her face, “Never thought it’d be a source of strength, instead. I think perhaps that is why you Equestrians are stronger than many of us in the Legion believed. You don’t hide from what you feel.”

Coco returned the smile with one of her own, though Coldiron could see the mare had a distant look about her, “I think both of us have a lot to learn from each other, Equestrian and Legion alike. I know I wouldn’t have been awakened to things about myself if I hadn’t been drafted.”

Coco’s voice lowered to a whisper, “I still don’t know if some of things I’ve learned about myself are good or not.”

With a firm hoof Coldiron gave Coco a quick hug, which clealry caught Coco off guard. For her part Coldiron coughed awkwardly and stepped back from the hug, ears twitching nervously. “Um, sorry, you did tell me once that hugs are how you Equestrians comfort friends, right?”

Coco, still blinking, said, “I guess I did, didn’t I?”

“A-anyway, just don’t doubt yourself, Coco Pommel. You’re a mare of rare strength, inside and out. Any time you need to talk, I shall lend my ear to listen. Whatever you fear about yourself, you needn’t face it alone.”

“Thank you. I will.”

“Heeeeyyy, whatcha two talking about so intimate and close?” asked Blossomforth as she trotted from across the deck, Trixie and Allie Way right behind her.

Coco and Coldiron shared looks and quickly looked away from each other.

“Nothing of importance. Mere small talk,” said Coldiron.

“Yup, just chatting away as the scenery passes by,” said Coco.

Trixie glanced around, grunting, “Trixie can’t see much scenery. Well, half the scenery.”

“You adapting to your whole... eye thing?” asked Coco.

The showmare’s grimace was mild as she floated from her saddlebag, of all things, a small deck of cards. “Trixie borrowed these from one of the soldiers back at the fort. To practice sleight of hoof. One eye may see nothing but silly blurs, but Trixie is a mare of talent! She shall adapt and get her tricks back iin order to compensate for the slight issue with her sight. Once this stupid war is done with Trixie has a show business to return to!”

“Which I’m still totally helping with!” declared Blossomforth firmly, “Wings or no wings I can still pull some tricks of my own to help with the show.”

Coldiron quirked an eyebrow, “What kind of tricks?”

Blossomforth looked around at her fellow mares, “What, I seriously didn’t show any of you? Check this out!”

The pegasus stood up on her hind legs for a second, only to bend over backwards until her forehooves touched the deck. Then she kept going, folding further and further back until her head was sticking out from between her hind legs while the rest of her body took on the shape like a donut. She rested her chin on her forehooves, which were now in front of her hind hooves, and she grinned as the other mares gapped at her.

“Pretty neat, huh?”

Allie Way coughed, feace turning cherry red, “Y-yeah, uh, that’s...um, something.”

Coco blinked, “Blossomforth, what is your spinal cord made out of?”

“Awesome?” the pegasus suggested.

Trixie coughed, “Silly putty, Trixie suspects.”

“Can you fold yourself back to normal?” asked Allie Way curiously.

“Yeah, no problem!” Blossomforth declared, starting to twist and bend herself back the other way, only to frown as she ran into trouble getting her forelegs back underneath her head. “Umm... eventually?”

As the pegasus continued to struggle getting herself back to normal, with a combination of giggles and alarm from her surrounding friends, Coldiron found herself laughing with a relaxed contentment that surprised her. She’d survived a horrible battle, buried her father, and was looking towards a dangerous future facing an enemy with unknown schemes. Yet despite that she could not remember a time she’d felt more steady of heart.

She turned her eyes to the east, where the landscape was vast and unfamiliar, where distant mountains hid what had once been a realm no Legion pony could enter, yet had been charged with the task to defend. Whether it’d been right or wrong to bring that peaceful land into the war the Legion fought Coldiron could not longer clearly say, but she could say with certainty that she was honored to have met these ponies; these Legionaries of Equestria.

She knew that, together, they could face whatever was to come.

Author's Note:

And so completes "Book 1" of the Legionnaires of Equestria. For those curious I do have an overarching plan for the series, probably contained within the span of two more books. This first story was all about getting to know the main characters and antagonists and putting our heroins through their initial baptism of fire among the Legion. The next story will focus upon learning more about the Aranea and the deepening conflict with this relatively new species. For any fans of Dungeons and Dragons be prepared for a very "underdark" style adventure with lots of exploration and action in the deep, dark caverns underneath the world. As for when I'll be getting the second story ready, it may take a bit, as I have a couple other stories I need to focus on, but rest assured I won't be leaving this by the wayside. You'll be seeing these mares in action again, as members of the Underwatch.

In the meantime, I want to thank everyone who's read along to this point and hope you folks enjoyed the ride. As always let me know what you thought, not just of the epilogue, but the story as a whole. Any critiques are eagerly welcomed.

'Till next time.

Comments ( 15 )

You certainly do justice to Visiden Visidane's Upheaval universe. Wouldn't be surprised if he left this up in the air as possible canon to his.

I'm really liking the idea of the Underwatch. Here's to Book II. :pinkiehappy:

When are you starting book 2?

7020994
My plan is to start it up this summer. I've got the prologue and first chapter done, but want to focus a bit on some of my other incomplete stories before I start up the next one in this series. Also hoping to find someone out there I can commission for a cover art this time around. :twilightsmile:

I really enjoyed this. I'm a fan of the original story and I think you did a good job matching the tone.
The only problem I have is one that a many fantasy stories have which is the ineffectiveness of armor. Given how rarely it does anything the legionaries wouldn't wear it. There's no benifit when fighting the dire bears since even their ranged attacks shatter armor and instantly kill the target.

7975326
Ah, thanks for letting me know about that, I'll see about getting some stuff edited, including that when I eventually get to hammering out some of the errors here. I usually don't have a specific editor going over my stories with just one or two exceptions. My problem has always been that I'm terrible at spotting these errors, even when I'm specifically hunting for them.

7980004
It's been a long time since I read the first Upheaval story, so I can't remember all the specifics. I know the Legion has airships of its own, but I'm unsure on just how extensive their airfleet actually is and whether or not they use them for combat or just transport. Gunpowder is a big question mark too. Given the penchant for Legion units to hyper-specialize along race lines, I'd say that they might ignore gunpowder on the assumption that its just easier and more effective to have a line of unicorn battlemages be the artillery. Which is debatable of course, but to make gunpoweder effective it takes time and research to develop the weapons, manufacturing time to get the guns made, and training time to get troops drilled in using them over the weapons they're already used to. The Legion would need to overhaul most of its tactics to integrate firearms, and I figure most of its top brass are too stuck in their ways to consider the effort, even if it might be worth it in the long run. As for weather control, again I can't remember specifics. For my story I operate on the assumption that the reason pegasi can control the weather in the Heartland is due to Celestia's magical influence over the region, but that it doesn't extend to the Barrier Lands. The actual canon might be entirely different, I just don't remember.

Yes, its a fairly dark story, although I felt it was handled well enough as far as those kind of premises go. I have my issues with it, but by and large the story does alright with having some interesting characters and lore, and some pretty kick ass action sequences, which is really about all I can ask out of a story like Upheaval.

It'd be funny if Coco could do the drills and make the right motions when sparring her fellow ponies, but she always seems a tiny bit slow and her blows with the wooden practice claymore don't carry much force. Veteran legionnaires new to the unit who have never seen her fight think that she's a little more skillful than most rookies because of her devotion to practice, but find her physically unimpressive and not particularly hard to beat when sparring. They wonder why their fellow veterans hold the small, socially meek mare in such high regard.

And then during the next attack, they watch as Berserker Coco's speed doubles, her strength and stamina becomes that of a strong Earth pony stallion, and she attacks and parries with skill they've only previously seen in master instructors of the sword.

7980040

I overall like Upheaval too. It is a nice war story. I just kinda wish the story wasn't all about fighting OC alicorns now. That is what drew me to this story. It keeps the same premise the original Upheaval had. Just ponies fighting in a war against monsters.

7996562
For the most part my intention is to keep this story focused on the conflict with the Lurkers, although the next story will start to delve into the Lurker's actual origins which has some parallel aspects to the Eternal Herd. That said, the story focus will remain largely on the mortal soldiers, both Barrierland born and Heartland born, and their struggles. I admittedly don't mind the shift of focus in the Upheaval story too much, because I find the lore of the Eternal Herd and the other extraplanar factions interesting, although it does seem many of the alicorns of the Eternal Herd are kind of... well, I don't want to say assholes, per se, but damn some of them seem to have their heads shoved pretty far up their tailpipes. I guess being borderline immortal and having godly powers tends to have that result.

7996662

Is the sequel still on the way? I enjoyed this story quite a bit. You have a flair for big action sequences. I just wish the ponies weren't so underpowered vs everything else.

8026329
I've already started the sequel story, albeit writing is slow due to my focus on other stories at the moment. Still, feel free to check it out if you like. :twilightsmile:

8028668

Thanks. I am surprised you have done nothing to link the two stories. How is anyone supposed to find it?

This is a really good story (grammar errors aside). One would almost wish that this were an official part of the Upheaval universe, but then again, that decision is Visiden's to make.

If you are looking for a beta for the sequel, I'm more than willing to help.

Um airships? Unless those were introduced in the sequels, I'm pretty sure they aren't a thing in the Upheaval universe. A big part of the tension in Breaking Point was that reinforcements had to WALK AROUND the barrier to get to Bastion City. The city's defenders even had to launch an attack on the Wolven to give the reinforcements a chance to get in to the city, none of this would have been an issue if airships were a thing. :trixieshiftright:

Well anyway I enjoyed this. The dialogue could a little awkward or overly cheesy at times and some scenes/characters felt just a little too similar to scenes/characters from Upheaval but the action was superb and characters super likeable. Look forward to reading the sequel after I get caught up with the Upheaval stories. :twilightsmile:

8682452
Glad you overall enjoyed the story despite a few snags here and there. As for the airships, they were introduced in Reckoning, I believe. I'm not sure how many the Legion actually has, but I got the impression there aren't enough for large scale troop movements.

Login or register to comment