• Published 12th Sep 2014
  • 726 Views, 16 Comments

Nostalgia - sugarhooves



In order to save Equestria from destruction, Apple Jack has been tasked to go back in time and retrieve what was described as "the apple of my eye"

  • ...
3
 16
 726

Chapter three: Dreams and Discoveries

"Goodnight sugarcube, see ya in the morning," the magenta mare whispered after releasing her daughter from her tight grip. She trotted over to the door gingerly, an occasional creak sounding in the floorbed. She pulled the door in slow motion, the rays of light streaming in gradually reducing in amount. With the sound of a barely audible "click", the room was near pitch black. The beautiful full moon Luna had raised that night had streams of blue aura flowing out from it. However, Apple Jack remained oblivious towards it as her eyelids started to close. She hummed a little folk song, and soon drifted off to seep.


The blue alicorn wavered in her throne, the blue aura gradually fading from her horn. The white glow in her eyes flickered, as she panted heavily.

"Tia...help me..." she gasped between her breaths. However, her sister still continued her deep slumber.

The mare of the moon could take the overwhelming pain anymore, and the blue aura surrounding her horn shrinked into a small glowing ball. The ball rested upon her horn for a few seconds, and suddenly, it shattered and sent rays of dark streaks all over Equestria. A black shield circled around the land, creating a protective layer for the magical blue shield.

"Hopefully the magic from my dark days will hold up..." Luna muttered under her breath before flying out through the roof (by using magic, of course) of Canterlot castle, after taking one last glance at her sister.

She then flew into the midnight sky, her mane flowing in the gentle breeze, as her wings pushed her through the white fluffy clouds. Her slow, steady flight speed gradually turned into a rapid motion, similar to the speed required to perform a sonic rainboom. Luna travelled at a ripping speed, as a magical silver aura formed upon her, similar to an air cone. The aura expanded as the speed of her rapid ascension into the sky grew, and with a final flap of her wings, she shot through the silver aura. The aura bursted with a resounding boom and dissipated, similar to how a star burns on its final day.


An orange mare trotted through an apple farm, golden mane caressing in the air. She lifted a hoof out to grab a fresh, ripe apple, when suddenly, it turned to a menacing black, which shrank to its skin, and crumbled before her eyes.

"What in tarnation?" Applejack cursed beneath her breath. "If it's one of you vampire bats I'm gonna beat the hay outta you!" She swung her arm out, ready to deliver a heavy punch onto anything that stood in her way, only to meet with a glass pane. Her face turned from a butter sour scowl into one of sheer shock and confusion. A glass wall grew out from the ground, separating the bright, sunny apple farm from a plain, grey and barren land. Applejack galloped on her hooves to the glass wall, hoping to jump over and make it back to the sunny land, but the only thing she reached was the cruel impact between her temple and the wall.

The impact was not typical, like how a normal hit on the head would leave a nasty purple bruise on your forehead. The impact sent jolts of electricity down Applejack, flinging her back, sending her across time and space. She eventually landed back onto land, skidding so fast that it made a nasty burn appear on her back, and if she hadn't crashed into the blue object shadowing her, she could have gone on forever.

The earth pony looked up, raising her hoof to clear the dust off her eyes, and her gaze met none other than the Princess of the Night!

"Your Highness!" The orange mare scurried to her hooves, and bowed with much respect.

"At ease, thou whose name is Applejack," the blue alicorn said in her usual booming voice.

"Princess Luna, what are you doing here? In my past?" Applejack said with sheer confusion, remaining in a half-bow position.

"I am here to deliver you a message," Luna said while using her magic to levitate Applejack off the ground. "How hurry, we have no time to waste," Luna said as stretched out her wings, with Applejack sitting on her back. She pushed off the ground and ascended into the sky, flying past the grey and bare sky. With a sudden flap of her wings, they shot through another barrier, and soon they found themselves swimming through a sea with apples flowing all around. Another portal with a shade of pink appeared, and they shot through it, and appeared in a familiar area.


"Hey, isn't this the Canterlot castle?" Applejack thought aloud as they flew through a window. In front of them was Celestia laying on the floor, in a half-crouch position, struggling to hold the magical barrier up.

All of a sudden, Celestia just caved in, and the magical aura disappeared. The black shield of dark magic, the blue shield of night, and the yellow shield of day slowly fell, causing Equestria to become vulnerable to any predators. As Celestia laid on the floor, panting while her hair lost its natural flow, a source of evil started to cover the land of Equestria, and the rhythimic beating of harmony turned into resounding chaos. The land lost its blue sky as ominous red magic filled the sky, and streams of black magic ran through the land, all leading towards Canterlot. A tall dark creature, half bull, half horse, started to build up in front of Celestia.

"The time has come, my Princess, to cover the land in eternal pain and suffering," the red creature whispered as the sounds of hissing snakes echoed in the distance.

"TIREK!" The mare of the night shouted with a resounding echo, as she fired her magic towards the creature of darkness. However, al that did was build the strength of Tirek. The blue alicorn galloped in front of her sister, and built a shield to protect the alicorns in vain.

"Join me, my dear mare of the night, and together we will rule the land of Equestria." Tirek hissed as he held out a hand towards the raging blue alicorn.

"NEVER! I AM NOT WHO THOU CALLS NIGHTMARE MOON!" She howled in pain as she tried to repel the dark magic off the shield.

"You are going to be mine, one way or another." Tirek snickered as he broke the shield using his index finger. He lifted Luna up, as he wrapped ribbons of dark magic around her.

"Twi...Twilight and her fr...friends wil pre...prevail!" Luna winced in pain as the ribbons circled around her throat.

"Oh really? Without the elements," Tirek paused as he opened his hands to reveal the shattered pieces of the precious stones. "They are nothing but worthless rats! In fact, I have taken care of five of them, and I'm pretty sure the sixth is just hiding in fear somewhere else!" He said as he showed a vision of the five mares lying on the ground, their manes filled with dirt, hooves covered in cuts and bruises, laying on the grass, breathing their last breath.

No it can't be...Applejack thought as the show played before her eyes.

With a snap of his fingers, the blue alicorn turned into a form of evil, for the mare of the moon had returned. She walked with grandeur towards her sister, who was still in an unconscious state.

"I'm sorry it had to be this way sister," Nightmare moon hissed as she shot a blast of magic towards her.


"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" Applejack howled as the vision before her vanished gradually.

The blue alicorn laid a hoof on the orange mare's shoulder, as she held the element of honesty beside her using her magic.

"Applejack, you have no time to waste." She said as she placed the necklace around the neck of the earth pony. "You must hurry and find the item and return to us, or else, the nightmare you witnessed will turn into reality."

All of a sudden, everything surrounding them was being sucked in by a force, leaving only Applejack standing in her wake. As Luna gradually faded in the distance, she whispered, "Find the apple of your eye..."

"Luna! No don't go! I need your help, please!" The orange mare wailed as tears streamed down her cheeks.


"AHHHH!" Applejack screamed as she jolted out of bed. She surveyed her surroundings, and realised that she was only laying in bed in the barn.

"Oh, it was all just a dream," she sighed as she raised a hoof to slow her heartbeat. However, she saw that the element had appeared around her neck, and the previously shut windows were now ajar. The full moon glistened with a silhouette of the majestic mare of the night on it...

Author's Note:

Hello everyone :rainbowkiss: Sorry for the long wait, I forgot to update this for 2 months! :applejackconfused:

Anywhere here's (longer) chapter 3 :yay: Hope ya'll like it! There should be around let's say, 2 to 3 more chapters left? So stay tuned :raritywink: I'll try my best to update this within the nest two weeks :pinkiehappy:

Aye what is Applejack going to do now? :twilightoops:

Comments ( 2 )

5444713 Thank you! I hope you'll enjoy it, and feel free to give tips to improve :twilightsmile: (we need a sleepy icon xD)

Login or register to comment