• Published 10th Sep 2014
  • 1,454 Views, 17 Comments

The MMC-verse - Persona22



How are the everyday lives different for Twilight and her friends in a world where their cutie marks are telling them something different?

  • ...
3
 17
 1,454

Winter Wrap Up

Twilight quickly woke up with a smile, and moved towards Spike, trying to shake him awake.

“Spike, wake up! It’s winter wrap up day!” said the purple unicorn.

“Huh?” said Spike, still half asleep.

“Winter Wrap Up!” exclaimed Twilight.

Spike just laid back down to go back to sleep.

Twilight was having none of it, “Spike, the first day of spring is tomorrow! So everypony in Ponyville needs to clean up winter. Now help me get ready!” she said as she jumped on her boots.

“Clean up winter?” said Spike, getting up, “Don’t they just use magic to change the seasons like we do at Canterlot?”

“No Spike,” said twilight as she was putting on a winter saddle, “Ponyville was founded by Earth Ponies, so for hundreds of years they never used magic to clean up winter. Its traditional.”

“It’s ridiculous,” said Spike, again laying down to try and get more sleep, “No magic… hmf.”

Twilight put on her scarf, “Okay let’s see,” she said checking her morning checklist, “Scarf, check. Saddle, check. Boots, check. Spike refusing to get up and going back to sleep, check. It’s a good thing I’m so organized. I’m ready!” she said full of determination.

Twilight quickly went over to open the door to the library, “Bright and early!”

But a quick glance outside made it clear that the sun had not even come up yet, and everyone in Ponyville was still asleep. “Oh, maybe a little too early.” she said to herself, feeling a little embarrassed.

===========================================

Now up at the appropriate time, with the sun up in the sky, Twilight ran over towards Ponyville’s town hall. Spike was still half asleep, sitting on her back. “Those must be the team vests Applejack made for everyone!” exclaimed Twilight when she saw the blue, brown and green vests that everyone in Ponyville was wearing. Applejack’s style could be clearly seen on them as they were not only fashionable, but sturdy and practical, perfect to do all kinds of heavy work while wearing them.

“Blue for the weather team, green for the plant team, and brown for the animal team.” explained Twilight. “I wonder which team will let me help them.”

“Just take a blue vest… that’s the same color as my blanket,” said a sleepy Spike, “Which I think I can hear calling out my name. Spike, Spike… come back to bed. Augh… it’s so EARLY.”

As every pony in Ponyville gathered at the town hall, Mayor Mare walked up in front of everyone, “Thank you everypony,” said Mayor Mare to every pony present, “for being here bright and early. We need every single pony’s help to wrap up winter, and bring in spring!”

Every pony around town hall started to cheer happily.

“Now, we just finished handing out everypony’s vests and assigning everypony to a team.” continued the Mayor of Ponyville, “So let’s do even better than last year, and have the quickest Winter Wrap Up ever!”

Again every pony around the town hall cheered happily. “Oh, this is so exciting.” Exclaimed Twilight happily.

“Alright everypony,” Mayor Mare continued, “find your team leaders.” she said as she pointed a hoof at three ponies waiting over at the side, Rarity, Rainbow Dash and Big Mac. They were wearing the same vests as everypony else, but they were also wearing hoofbands that marked them as team leaders. Rarity was the leader of the weather team, Rainbow Dash the leader of the animal team, and Big Mac the leader of the plant team. The three ponies happily waved at every pony else.

“And now let’s get galloping!” said Mayor Mare, finishing her address to every pony. The ponies of Ponyville started going over towards the leader of each of their assigned teams.
“Oh, gosh… where should I go! I’m not sure where I would fit in.” said Twilight, getting worried, “What exactly does everypony do?”

As if in answer to Twilight’s question, every pony in Ponyville started singing a song about Winter Wrap up. Which Twilight joined from time to time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAemYgwNCBo

“Everypony belongs in a team, but what should I do,” said Twilight to Spike and herself, “where do I go?”

“Okay team,” said Rarity as she walked over to a group of pegasi, “Does every pony had a copy of the scrolls I made with the special work schedule for today?”

All the pegasi nodded, talking out a small scroll from inside their vests.

“Excellent,” said Rarity, “Every pony has a task and I expect every pony to complete it without trouble. You are all fine ponies and I am proud of being your team leader. I’ll be coordinating everything from down here, so please do not hesitate to ask any questions if you have any doubts. So, every pony ready?”

“Yes Rarity!” said all the pegasi in unison.

“Great, now let’s get started!” said Rarity as all the pegasi flew up and away.

“Rarity!” exclaimed Twilight, walking over to the white unicorn with the cloud and thunder-rainbow cutie mark.

“Oh, hello there Twilight dear,” said Rarity looking away from the pegasi and towards Twilight, “Can I help you with something?”

“What are you doing?” inquired the purple unicorn.

“Oh, I’m just coordinating everyone in the weather team. I AM the most experienced pony on weather in Ponyville, after all.” said Rarity proudly. “I spent all night making a schedule for every single pony that I knew was going to be in my team, which is tasked with getting the sky cleared of winter clouds and getting the birds to migrate back to Ponyville. That last one was the most challenging part, but Rainbow Dash gave me some pointers.”

“Oh, can I help?” asked Twilight.

Before Rairty could answer, she heard a sound of some pony crashing onto something, Rarity quickly turned her head back up and saw that Derpy had crashed on her way to get the birds with Thunderlane who was clearing some clouds.

“Oh, I can’t take my eyes away from even a minute or everything falls apart,” exclaimed an exasperated Rairty, “Derpy, you seem distracted… I need you to do your absolute best today. You aren’t on weather duty today, just getting the birds. Your experience as a mail mare makes you perfect for this task which is why I assigned you to the group for gathering the birds. So please, pay more attention.”

“I’m sorry Rarity,” said Depry, who did look distracted about something else, like if her mind wasn’t 100% with the task at hand, “I’ll do my best, don’t worry.” she said, more determined but clearly worried about something, and flew off and away from Ponyville, following the rest of the pegasi that were getting the birds back.

“And Thunderlane,” said Rarity, “You and Raindrops are the most experienced pegasus when it comes to weather handling, I need you to stay focused and do your best. While I’m down here I’m relying on you to keep the rest of the team together and in order.”

“I know Rarity, I’m sorry… I’ll try harder.” said Thunderlane in an apologetic tone, and went back to work.

Rarity sighed, while Thunderlane WAS the most experienced pegasus, along with Raindrops, when it came to handling the weather, he was STILL not as experienced as Rarity was. Even more, Thunderlane and Raindrops’ experience was more on handling the weather, not managing it. They were good workers, but had never had to lead a team. Usually Rarity did that, but she did that with a hands on approach, by using her rare weather magic to move the clouds and other weather duties. But now, on Winter Wrap Up, she had to let everyone do the work while she just looked, coordinated and hoped for the best. She couldn’t correct mistakes herself, she had to give directions so others could do it.

“I’m sorry Twilight but I really have my hooves full here,” said Rarity, “And, if I may, if you have no wings, and no weather experience, then I don’t really see how you could help out in the weather team.”

“Oh, right,” said Twilight, a little disappointed, “I’ll try to help some of the other teams. Hum, before I go, perhaps you can answer something for me.”

“I’ll be happy to, darlin’, just make it snappy.” said Rarity, talking to Twilight but keeping an eye on every pony flying above her.

“If tradition dictates that magic isn’t used in Winter Wrap Up, why do pegasi get to use their weather control abilities?” asked the purple unicorn.

“Oh, that?” said Rarity, “You see, while true that the Earth Ponies that founded ponyville did all the work by hoof, they really couldn’t fly to clear the skies. So they usually would pay a team of pegasi from out of town, usually from Cloudsdale, to come over and clear the skies for them. When Ponyville began getting more pegasi immigrants, the tradition of hiring out of town pegasi changed to letting the pegasi that were living in Ponyville do the job instead.”

“Oh, I see. I couldn’t find any books about that, thanks for clearing that for me Rarity.” said Twilight as she walked away.

“It was my pleasure, darling.” said Rarity, “Blossomforth, no, no, the Stratocumulus go over there and the Altocumulus go over there, not the other way around!”

Blossomforth looked down, “Huh? What? Rarity did you say something!?”

Rarity began to scream since Blossomforth was too high up to hear her otherwise, “I said you are getting the Sratocumulus and the Altocumuls mixed up!”

Twilight quickly left, as she didn’t want to be in Rarity’s way, she clearly was having trouble with her team. Odd, considering how well she handled everything on any other day… then again, on those days she could use her magic, but not today, not on Winter Wrap Up, it was tradition after all.

“Now what should I do…” said Twilight.

“I don’t know about you, but I’m going to take a nap.” said Spike, as he closed his eyes while lying down on Twilight’s back and began to snore.

“Come on Spike! This is serious! Winter needs to be wrapped up, and I am determined to do my part…” she said looking very determined, “… somehow.” she finished, looking not so determined.

=====================================

Applejack, wearing a brown vest, was at a work bench she set up in front of Carousel Boutique, with straw, sticks and strings on top of the work bench.

“Hello Applejack, is there anything I can help you with?” asked Twilight hopefully as she approached the orange pony with the three diamods cutie mark.

“Well, how would you like to make Ponyville’s bird nests?” asked Applejack.

“Bird nests?” asked Twilight.

“Of course,” replied Applejack, “While the weather team guides the birds back for the spring, they need a home to live in, and lay their little eggs.” said the orange pony fashionista, as she gestured to a finished nest on the table. It was simple, yet sturdy, the straw and sticks held together in a simple, yet refined pattern, as the strings held it all together. It had a rustic, yet artistic feel to it, like folk art.

“Wow, Applejack, that one looks very good. Beautiful and simple all at once.” exclaimed Twilight.

“Why, thank you Twilight, I must admit I had been practicing. Every year I think I get a little better.” said Applejack in response. “Would you like to try your hoof at making one?”

“Would I!?” exclaimed an exited Twilight, “Yes, where do I begin?”

Applejack pushed a bunch of string, twigs and straw towards Twilight, the purple pegasus quickly organized everything neatly on the table. “Now, first you take some of that staw, and sticks and arrange them like this,” said Applejack as she started making another nest, to show Twilight how to do it, “Then weave the string between the straw and sticks, like this.” Twilight tried to follow, but she seemed to be having trouble.

“No, not there,” said Applejack, “No, you need to tuck it in over there, not there, but be careful not to… no, wait, not there… oh, my…”

“There!” exclaimed Twilight, “It looks just like… yours.” said Twilight, as she compared Applejacks’ perfectly made nest with the… nest shaped mess of string, sticks and straw she made.

“That nest needs to be condemned.” exclaimed Spike.

“I’m sorry Twilight, but to be honest I have to agree with Spike.” said Applejack, “You are a very talented pony when it comes to magic and books, but I don’t think bird nest making is something you can help with.”

“Oh, no, please Applejack, it doesn’t look THAT bad… right?” said Twilight hopefully, “Maybe the birds can still use it for…”

“An outhouse.” stated Spike, simply.

“Now Twilight, don’t worry, I’m sure there are plenty of other things you can help out with. Just… not with this.” said Applejack.

“Yes… okay, I’ll be going now.” said Twilight, looking defeated. She started to walk away as Applejack disassembled to mess Twilight did and started building the entire nest from scratch.

============================================

Twilight and Spike approached a frozen lake near Ponyville. They saw Fluttershy there, wearing a blue vest.

The yellow pegasus with the three balloons cutie mark was ice skating on the lake, with white ice skating shoes on her hooves. Fluttershy had all four hooves on the ice, while she used her wings to propel herself forwards. “Hello there Twilight!” greeted Fluttershy from the distance.

“Fluttershy? I didn’t know you ice skated.” said Twilight.

“Are you kidding? Ice skating is comedy gold!” exclaimed Fluttershy as she approached Twilight and came to stop at the edge of the frozen lake. “I first started to learn when I saw those old slapstick comedy routines by classic comedians when they tried to skate and then pretend to fall and get up and fall over and over.”

“Oh, you mean you use ice skating to do one of your slapstick comedy routines?” asked Twilight.

“Exactly, more precisely, ice slapstick comedy routines. I call them, the Winter Fluttershy Slapstick Special.” replied Fluttershy, making a grand gesture with her front hooves as she said that last part, “But now is not the time for comedy, I’m afraid, knowing of my skills in ice skating, Rarity gave me the task of being the Lake Scorer.” as Fluttershy said this she took out one of the scrolls written by Rairty for the weather team.

“Lake Scorer?” asked Twilight.

“Yes, I cut lines in the lakes with my skates. That way, when the rest of the weather team comes here to break the ice, it'll be easy peasy lemon squeezy.” explained Fluttershy.

“Ah, that’s clever.” commented Twilight, “When the thick ice begins to melt, it'll break along the lines. Well, you sure have a lot of work ahead of you, there's quite a few lakes in Ponyville.”

“Oh, yeah, you can say that again.” said Fluttershy, “So, Twilight, want to help me out?”
Twilight’s eyes lit up in joy, “Would I?”

“Alright! Here, put on this skates and get on the ice.” said Fluttershy, handing Twilight another set of ice skates.

“Okay, thank you.” replied Twilight, as she took the ice skates from Fluttershy and put them on as Fluttershy went back to her task of ice skating over the lake.

The purple unicorn slowly got on the ice on tentative steps, trying to get a steady standing position. Her legs trembled and started to move appart. “Uh… maybe on second thought…” said a worried Twilight.

“What are you talking about Twilight, you said you wanted to be helpful.” said Spike to Twilight, “You’ll never get anything done, or learn how to do it, by staying here. Now get out there.” Spike started to push Twilight deeper and faster into the ice.

A look of worry filled Twilight’s face as she started to speed up on the ice surface of the frozen lake, and she quickly lost control. “Whoa… whoa… WHOA!”

Having no control, Twilight spun around and started going in the opposite direction, as she headed towards Spike at full speed, she crashed into the dragon and they both slammed into a bank of snow and getting completely covered by it.

“Owww…” said Twilight slowly getting up.

“On second thought… I guess I shouldn’t have pushed you.” said Spike, also getting up slowly and cleaning the snow off himself.

“Oh, you think?” said Twilight, frowning at Spike as she also started cleaning the snow off of herself.

“Twilight, that was amazing!” exclaimed Fluttershy as she approached Twilight and Spike.
“It was?” said Spike.

“Of course! I remember my first time, and it wasn’t even half as wobbly and bobbly and crasheriffic as yours.” said Fluttershy, “The spin, the moves, the crashing. It was all perfect! Do you mind me incorporating some of your moves into my routines for next year’s winter?”

Twilight giggled a little, “Yes, no problem.”

Fluttershy smiled too, happy to have made Twilight happy again.

“And don’t worry Twilight, I’m sure there is something great that you can help with, something that keeps your hooves on solid ground.” said Fluttershy, then her eyes lit up with an idea, “Oh, I know, why don’t you go and help Rainbow Dash? I’m sure she could use some help with the critters.”

“Well... I'm pretty good with little animals.” said Twilight, taking off the ice skates and giving them back to Fluttershy, “Yeah, I'll go help her.”

==============================================

Twilight, with Spike riding on her back, approached Rainbow Dash. The light blue pegasus with the three pink butterflies cutie mark was busy coordinating everyone in the animal team.

“Rainbow Dash, I just finished waking up all the otters.” said Sparkler as she approached Rainbow Dash.

“Good work Sparkler,” replied Rainbow Dash, “now start working on waking up the beavers.”
“If you don’t mind, I need to check on Dinky. With my mom busy helping bringing back the birds, she asked me to keep an eye on her.” said Sparkler.

Rainbow Dash nodded, “Sure, no problem Sparkler. Just make sure you get to waking up the beavers as soon as you get back.”

“I will, I promise.” said Sparkler as she started to trot away, “Thanks Rainbow Dash.” she said, waving.

“Hello Rainbow Dash, how is it going?” said Twilight as she reached Rainbow Dash.

“Oh, hello Twilight, hello Spike.” greeted Rainbow Dash, “All of my team is working around the clock to get all the animals that were hibernating to wake up for spring. They assigned more ponies to the weather and plant team this year, so we are a little short hoofed... But we’ll manage, it’s a good thing I know how to multitask.”

“What’s hibernation?” asked a confused Spike.

“It’s like a long sleep.” said Rainbow Dash. “Animals often hibernate through the winter to save their energy and eat less food.”

“I definitely like the idea of hibernation, uh, except for the ‘eat less food’ part.” replied Spike.

“You know, Rainbow Dash, if you need more ponies to help you, I’m not doing anything right now, do you need me to do anything?” said Twilight.

“Really? That would be great!” exclaimed Rainbow Dash, “With all the warrens and dens I must admit I was starting to get worried we weren’t going to be able to wake up all the animals before spring comes.”

Rainbow Dash took out a small bell and gave it to Twilight who took it. “Take this bell, and start waking up any animal you find.”

“I’ll get right on it.” said Twilight, sounding determined.

Twilight walked over to one of the many holes on the ground where animals were hibernating, she poked her head inside and started ringing the bell. “Hello? Wake up little friends, wherever you are. Spring is coming. I wonder which cute little furry creatures I've awoken.” said the purple unicorn to herself.

However, what came out of the hole was snakes. Big, scaly snakes. The reptiles started hissing as soon as they emerged.

“Aaaah! Snakes! SNAKES!” yelled Twilight, scared. She started to back away as quickly as possible. However, this made her run into a cave.

She ran out of the cave as fast as possible being followed by several bats inside. “Aaaah! Bats! BATS!” Twilight, not looking at where she was going, crashed on a tree and a bee hive fell from a branch and on her head. Again she yelled in panic as she ran, blindly into another small hole on the ground.

A terrible odor emerged from it as a family of skunks, startled from being awoken so suddenly and noisily, sprayed Twilight, then slowly started to walk outside.

Rainbow Dash, attracted from all the noise, quickly walked over, just in time to see the skunks walk out of their hole. “Ah, good morning there fellas. Good to see you up, spring is almost here.” said Rainbow Dash as she the skunks walked by her.

Twilight, groaning, started to walk out of the den of the skunks. Covered in bee stings and smelling bad.

“Great job Twilight, you woke up the skunks and from what I heard, also the bats and snakes.” Said Rainbow Dash, “You really helped us out here.” said the grateful rainbow maned pony.

“Owww… you’re welcome Rainbow Dash… but I don’t think helping waking up animals is the job for me in this Winter Wrap Up.” said Twilight wearily.

================================================

Back at the library, Spike was helping Twilight getting the smell washed out as the purple pegasus was taking a bath in a vat filled with tomato juice.

“All this Winter Wrap Up stuff is a lot harder than it looks.” said Twilight, sighing sadly.

“Right, because there's no magic. Why don't you just use magic, Twilight, and get it done the right way?” said Spike. The little dragon had a clothespin on his nose to keep the smell away.

“No, Spike, it’s a Ponyville tradition to do it without magic.” said Twilight, “All the other unicorns aren’t using their magic, and neither will I.” said Twilight.

“Which is just ridiculous when you think about it.” replied Spike, “I mean, I get that Ponyville has this tradition, but Rarity is this town’s Weather Manager, a job that would traditionally be assigned to a Pegasus. And she is a unicorn.”

“Well, yes, but Rarity was also not using her magic.” commented Twilight.

“Yes, and she looked miserable and overworked.” added Spike, “I understand that the town was founded by Earth Ponies, and they didn’t use magic back then. But that was back then, now Ponyville has unicorns, not just you. Why can’t they use their magic to help out as members of Ponyville, like Rarity does every day… except today.”

“Well, even then. I am going to find some other way to help out without magic, you’ll see.” said a determined Twilight as Spike poured more tomato juice on her mane.

=================================

A while later, down at Sweet Apple Acres, Big Mac standing atop a hill overlooking how some of the stronger members of the plant team were pushing the snow away from the fields with a plow on wheels.

Pinkie Pie, also wearing a green vest of the plant team, was going around the field with a platter filled with apple juice and apple fritters, making sure that all the working ponies weren’t either thirsty or hungry from all the work.

“Good job there, Caramel, keep it up.” said Pinkie pie as she handed a mug of apple juice to the light brown stallion as he was taking a small break from removing the snow with the plow.

“Thank you Pinkie Pie.” replied Caramel as he took the mug and started to drink.

“Hello Pinkie Pie, how is everything going?” asked Twilight, now smell free, with Spike in tow as they casually walked towards the pink pony with the three apples cutie mark.

“Oh, hi there Twilight, everything just dandy.” replied the pink farmer pony, “A little slow startin’ but good all the same. There’s a lot of ground the clear up, and before Big Mac can start assigning what goes planted were we need to get rid of all the snow.”

“Oh, I see.” replied Twilight, “And what are you doing?”

“Oh, Ah’m on relief duty, making sure everyone is happy and not too exhausted to do the work,” explained Pinkie Pie as they continued to walk down the snow covered fields. “In fact, Ah spent all of yesterday’s afternoon squeezing apple juice and Ah got up extra early today to make apple fritters, so they would be nice and warm for everyone. Big Mac told me making sure everyone was in good condition to work was a very important job.”
Pinkie Pie’s eyes started to gloss over and her mouth turned into a dreamy smile, “Oh, Pinkie Pie, you did such a good job, Ah’m so proud of ya.” she said imitating Big Mac’s voice, “Oh, Big Mac, thank you, I did it all for you.” she said in her normal voice, “You’re such a wonderful wife, come here.” again in Big Mac’s voice, “Oh, Big Mac, please, not in front of everyone.” she said in her normal voice.

“Uh… should I leave you and your imagination alone, Pinkie Pie?” asked Twilight.

Pinkie Pie was pulled back into reality as she heard Twilight. The pink farmer pony immediately started to blush, “Well *ahem* so Twilight, want to help me out?”

Twilight’s eyes lit up, “Of course, what do you want me to do?” asked the unicorn.

“Just go over that table over there, pick up a tray, some apple juice mugs and plates of apple fritters, and start handing them over to any pony that looks too tired.” replied Pinkie Pie.

“I’ll do it right away.” replied Twilight, she quickly galloped to the table, picked up a tray, apple fritters and apple juice, and walked back towards the field.

“Well, this looks simple, and safe, enough for you Twilight.” commented Spike.

“See Spike? I told you that I could find something to help with at Winter Wrap Up.” commented Twilight proudly.

Spike was going to comment something about her wasting her talent on this when suddenly Twilight tripped over a rock that was hidden by all the snow.

“Whoa!” exclaimed Twilight, as the tray with the apple juice and apple fritters went flying up. “Oh, no the tray!” said Twilight, as she saw how it was going to hit one of the working ponies pushing one of the plows through the field clearing the snow.

“Watch out!” exclaimed Twilight, the pony pulling the plow heard her and turned his head, but was not going to be able to step away in time, he braced himself to get hit with a tray full of apple juice and apple fritters.

As if on automatic reflexes, Twilight’s horn started to glow and she shot a beam at the tray. The tray stopped in midair, and slowly began to set itself down on the floor, the apple juice flew back into the mugs and the apple fritters floated safely on the plate, and everything settled down on the tray safe and sound.

“Twilight! What happened? Are you alright?” said Pinkie Pie as she ran towards Twilight.

“I’m okay, I just tripped, that’s all. And don’t worry about the apple juice and apple fritters, I saved them just in time, so everything is okay.” replied Twilight.

“Nnope.” came Big Mac’s voice as he walked over towards Twilight, Spike and Pinkie Pie, the red stallion looked upset.

“What? You mean everything is not okay?” commented Pinkie Pie, “Is it because Twilight used magic?”

“Eeyup.” replied Big Mac, looking at Twilight and frowning.

“Oh, I’m sorry… I was… I just wanted to help.” said Twilight, feeling worried.

“Nnope.” exclaimed Big Mac.

“Ah’m sorry Twilight, I’m sure you were just trying to help, but Big Mac is very strict when it comes to the Apple family farm. We don’t use magic for Winter Wrap Up around these parts.” explained Pinkie Pie.

“Eeyup.” said Big Mac.

Twilight’s eyes began to get watery with tears, “I’m sorry… I’m really sorry.” and with that the purple unicorn began to gallop away.

======================================

When Spike finally found Twilight after looking around all over Ponyville, he found her hiding behind some bushes.

“Come on, Twilight, come out.” said Spike encouragingly.

“No, I’m a Winter Mess Up.” came Twilight’s voice from behind the bushes.

“Don’t say that Twilight, you are good at a lot of things. Just… not the things that you tried to do so far.” replied Spike.

“No, no, how many times do I have to tell you, the clouds need to go higher up!” came Rarity’s yell as she was still struggling to keep her weather team doing the job properly.
Pinkie Pie approached the white unicorn, “Rarity, Big Mac wanted me to tell you that he needs the snow melted as fast as possible.”

“Oh, okay, Pinkie Pie, I’ll try but I have my hooves full as it is.” replied Rarity.

“Woah, woah, woah!” came Rainbow Dash’s voice as she flew down and walked towards Rarity and Pinkie Pie. “You can’t melt the snow too fast! All the animal’s homes will be flooded if you do that.”

“Okay, but I really have…” started Rarity.

“But Big Mac said the snow needs to be melted now.” said Pinkie Pie.

“And I’m saying that the snow melting has to wait for later.” countered Rainbow Dash.

“Now.” said Pinkie Pie.

“Later.” said Rainbow Dash.

“Now!” said Pinkie Pie.

“Later!” said Rainbow Dash.

“NOW!” said Pinkie Pie.

“LATER!” said Rainbow Dash.

“QUIET!” said Rarity, taking both ponies by surprise, “I have to coordinate an entire weather team in one of the biggest jobs of the year, from the ground, WITHOUT USING MY MAGIC!” she cried out, “I can’t do that AND hear both of you unable to make up your minds at the same time!”

Both Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash were surprised at hearing the outburst by the usually very polite pony.

“I’m sorry Rarity, I shouldn’t have done that.” said Rainbow Dash.

“And Ah’m sorry too Rarity.” said Pinkie Pie.

Rarity calmed down and sighed, “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have snapped out like that… it’s just that the whole weather arrangement is running late as it is and I’m under a lot of stress.”

Just then Sparkler came galloping over towards them, she looked quite worried, “Rarity, have you seen Dinky?” said Sparkler.

“Uh, Sparkler, no I haven’t seen her.” said Rarity, “Why, is something wrong?”

“Well, my mom was worried about her this morning, why with being Winter Wrap Up and Dinky being a unicorn and all. She still remembers how out of place I felt during Winter Wrap Up when I was Dinky’s age, and she wanted me to make sure Dinky was okay.”

Rarity suddenly realized why Derpy looked so worried this morning.

“So, I asked Rainbow Dash permission to check on her, but now I can’t find her anywhere! I asked almost everyone that knows her and nopony has seen her.” said a worried Sparkler.

“What? Oh, my! We can’t have that! I’ll see if I can have some of the weather team fly around Ponyville to look for her.” said Rarity.

“I’m here…” came Dinky’s voice, sounding rather small, from behind everyone. They turned around to see Dinky along with Sweetie Bell.

“I found her hiding behind the school.” said Sweetie Bell.

“Oh, Dinky, you had me worried!” said Sparkler as she rushed towards her sister and hugged her. “Why did you run off like that?”

“I’m sorry Sparkler,” said Dinky, apologizing to her big sister, “I was having trouble using the shovel to push out the snow from the streets, and this two Earth Pony fillies started to mock me from being too weak.”

From that simple description Sweetie Bell knew that Dinky was talking about Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, the two fillies thought that because their families were the wealthiest in Ponyville they could get away with anything.

“I just learned how to hold things with my horn, why can’t I do it?” said Dinky in a sad tone of voice.

“Because its tradition to not use magic during Winter Wrap Up,” said Apple Bloom as she walked over towards the group, “Right Pinkie Pie?”

“Apple Bloom? Why are you here?” asked Pinkie Pie.

“My brother wanted me to see what was taking you so long.” replied Apple Bloom as she reached Pinkie Pie.

“Well, that sounds silly if you ask me.” said Sweetie Bell.

“Hey, traditions aren’t silly!” retorted Apple Bloom.

“Well, it is! Ponyville is full of unicorns, but once every year in Ponyvillle its like we should be ashamed of ourselves just for being who we are,” replied Sweetie Bell.

“It’s not meant to make you feel ashamed, it’s just a tradition, it’s how we’ve always been doing things.” said Apple Bloom.

“Well, maybe things needs to change.” replied Sweetie Bell, “Just look at my sister. She’s the weather manager of Poyville AND she’s a unicorn. You have any idea how many pegasi she had to convince she could do this job?”

“Yes, and we are all very happy with the job she does every day, all we are asking is for one day for her not to use magic while doing it to honor a tradition, Ah don’t think it’s all that hard to do.” retorted Apple Bloom.

“Girls please, there’s no need to fight over this.” said Rarity.

“Yes, come on, Winter Wrap Up is about working together, not fighting among ourselves.” said Pinkie Pie.

Just then they all realized that their little exchange had attracted a lot of attention as several ponies, some were Earth Ponies, some were Peagsi and some were Unicorns, and were all now gathered around them. Among them was Twilight and Spike, the purple unicorn having emerged from behind the bushes.

“What is going on here!” said Mayor Mare as she also approached the gathering of ponies,

“We have no time to lose, look at all the clouds in the sky, and the icicles on the branches and all the snow still around. The only thing that seems to be going on schedule is the nest making! This won’t do at all! If this keeps up Winter Wrap Up is going to be late AGAIN this year too.”

“I’m sorry Mayor Mare,” said Sparkler, “my little sister was just upset because she felt left out without being allowed to use her magic for the day.”

“And I was saying that she shouldn’t feel upset because its just for one day, and its tradition.” said Apple Bloom.

“Eeyup.” added Big Mac, who had also come over.

“Well, you have to admit that it is kind of upsetting,” said Bon Bon, one of the many ponies that had gathered around, “I mean we Earth ponies have a natural talent for the plant and animal teams, and pegasi are naturals for the weather team, but unicorns are part of the Ponyille community too, and they have to hide what they are naturally inclined to do during Winter Wrap Up. Right Lyra?” she asked to the unicorn standing next to her.

“Well, it IS kind of unfair when you think about it.” replied Lyra.

“I agree.” said the pegasus Rainbowshine, as she flew down to the ground, “Rarity is an amazing weather manager, and we could be doing our jobs so much faster if they would allow her to do her job the same way she always does it, with her horn.”

“Ah… Ah agree too.”

Everyone was surprised about this statement because it came from Pinkie Pie.

“Pinkie Pie? You think so too?” asked Apple Bloom.

“Well, Apple Bloom, I think that is important to have traditions, but if Ah had only followed my family’s traditions then Ah would never would have married Big Mac and become an Apple. My family has always been traditionally rock farmers, but now I’m an apple farmer, and my parents and my sisters are all happy for me. Ah feel like honoring a tradition is important, but Ah also think that making sure my friends are happy is important too.”

“She’s right,” said Granny Smith, who had also come over when everyone started gathering around, “Ah’m sure we all remember how spending Hearth’s Warming Eve with Pinkie’s family was like, don’t ya!”

Apple Bloom and Big Mac did remember. They found Pinkie’s family’s traditions kind of weird the first time they went to the Rock Farm, and the Pies felt the same way when they visited Sweet Apple Acres the following year… well, maybe not Maud, but Big Mac and Apple Bloom still had a lot of trouble trying to read what their sister in law was thinking half of the time. But eventually they found points in common, and the Apple family started incorporating some of the Pie’s traditions while the Pie’s started incorporating some of the Apple family traditions in their celebrations of Heath’s Warming Eve.

Granny Smith also remembered how she and Grand Pear had reacted when they found out that Bright Mac and Pear Butter wanted to get married. In fact, that was one of the main reasons she didn’t discourage Big Mac in any way from marrying Pinkie Pie. She wondered where Grand Pear was now…

“I see,” said Mayor Mare as she had heard everyone, “Well, then, does anypony have any objections about allowing the unicorns of Ponyville to use their magic to work during Winter Wrap Up from now on?”

None of the ponies said anything.

“Then, as Mayor of Ponyville, I now declare that now unicorns can use their magic during Winter Wrap Up day.” said Mayor Mare happily.

Every pony present cheered.

“Ah’m sorry I was so stubborn.” said Apple Bloom to Sweetie Bell, as the rest of the ponies started to scatter around to continue their work.

“And I’m sorry I called traditions silly.” said Sweetie Bell.

Apple Bloom walked over to Sparkler and Dinky, “What do you say I help ya clean up the snow, and you can show meh how you use that horn of yours to do it.” she said to Dinky.
“Okay,” replied Dinky happily.

“Want tah come with us?” asked Apple Bloom to Sweetie Bell.

“Okay,” replied Sweetie Bell.

The three fillies began to walk away, with Sparkler following but leaving the fillies their space.

“Ah’m sure Ah’ve seen yah at school plenty of times, right?” she said to Sweetie Bell, “Ah’m Apple Bloom, and you?” asked the yellow filly.

“I’m Sweetie Bell. Nice meeting you.” replied the little unicorn.

For her part, Rarity’s weather team was surrounding the white unicorn. “So, Rarity, think you can help us with all these clouds?” asked Thunderlane.

Rarity nodded, “Okay team, we have a lot of work ahead of us, but if we do it together, I’m sure we’ll be finished before Winter Wrap Up day is over. Now let’s get moving.”

All the pegasus nodded and flew up and away. Rarity moved a cloud with her magic closer to the ground, then cast a Cloud Walking Spell on herself and stepped on it, and used her magic to move the cloud back up, high in the sky.

“So, Twilight, what do you say? Want to help us clear up the snow at Sweet Apple Acres?” said Pinkie Pie, happily as she approached Twilight, “With your magic knowledge I’m sure you will be able to find a way that we can melt the snow fast, while also not getting all the animal lairs flooded at the same time.”

Twilight’s eyes lit up, “Yes, I have a few ideas! Come on, I’ll explain on the way.”

Twilight, Spike, Pinkie Pie, Big Mac and Granny Smith, started to walk over to Sweet Apple Acres. Spike nudged Twilight on the side, “See, Twilight? What did I tell you?”

===================================================

Now that the unicorns could fully help the rest of the ponies of Ponyville, Winter Wrap Up started to go on much faster and smoother.

The nests Applejack had made were quickly floated up to the branches, without the need to use stools or step ladders to reach them.

Rarity and her team easily cleared the skies of clouds in time for the rest of the weather team to come back with the birds. Derpy was upset at Dinky for having ran off and worrying her sister like that, but was happy to see that everything had worked out in the end and her filly was now feeling a lot better when compared at how she was this morning.

At Sweet Apple Acres, the Earth ponie of the plant team were making quick work of clearing the snow and planting seeds, while Twilight and other unicorns were doing a coordinated effort of lifting a magic barrier that kept the melting snow from floodin the section where Rainbow Dash and the rest of the animal team were working. Twilight even had come up with an idea to arrange the magic barriers around the melted snow in a way that it would irrigate the fields, saving the plant team a lot of precious time.

The time that the plant team saved allowed them to spare a few of their members to the animal team. Rainbow Dash quickly put them all to work, and they were able to wake up all the animals in time.

All the ponies continued to work through the night, even Spike had helped, and by the time the sun rose on the very first day of spring all the clouds had been cleared, all the snow and ice had been melted, all the animals have been woken up and all the fields were planted and irrigated.

All the ponies of Ponyville gathered around the city hall, as they looked at a job well done.

“I can’t believe it, spring is here, and its ON TIME.” said Mayor Mare happily.

“That irrigation idea of yours was excellent Twilight, pretty impressive use of magic.” said Pinkie Pie to her friend.

“Eeyup.” added Big Mac.

Twilight blushd, "Thank you."

Mayor Mare continued, “And to mark this special occasion, I have another announcement to make.” she turned to look at Applejack who was inside the city hall, “Bring them out Applejack.”

Applejack nodded and pushed out a small cart, filled with red vests. She had plenty of time to make them after she had finished her task for Winter Wrap Up of making all the nests.

“From next year, a new team will be joining the Animal Team, Weather Team and Plant Team… the Magic Team!” declared Mayor Mare as she held up one of the vests to show it to everypony.

“And since we all saw how well Twilight handled all her magical tasks, I think it is only fair to name her Ponyville’s leader for Magic Team for next year’s Winter Wrap Up.” said Mayor Mare.

Twilight was surprised at this, she stepped up towards Mayor Mare who gave her the red vest. Twilight picked it up with her magic and put it on easily. All the ponies of Ponyville stomped their hooves on the ground as they cheered.

“Gosh, I don't even know what to say. Thank you, everypony.” said Twilight.

Mayor Mare addressed the crowd once more, “And hereby I declare that winter is... wrapped up on time.”

Again, all the ponies of Ponyville cheered.

========================================

Later that day, back at the library, Twilight was dictating a letter to Spike.

“Dear Princess Celestia,” said Twilight, “traditions are important. It helps us remind us who we are and where we come from. But who we are is something that is always changing, towns come and go as new ponies move in and out of them. As new ponies move into old towns, old ideas and traditions mix with new ideas and traditions, and that’s how societies grow. By acknowledging who we are, remembering who we were and embracing who we are becoming, new traditions appear among the old ones, traditions that we can all feel proud of being a part of, and never feel left out. In accepting each other’s differences, while also celebrating what makes us equal, is how good friendships can grow.” Twilight finished dictating.

With that, Spike put down the quill, rolled up the parchment, and used his magic green fire to send the letter to the Princess.

Comments ( 6 )

This is a shocking and happy surprise.

So... How similar will this story be from the Eclipseverse?

8627088
I had literally no idea that story existed until you mentioned it to me.

So, not at all. (Intentionally at least)

i like this its clever

Huh ask and you shall receive. Really enjoyed this glad to see this idea continue!

now we wait for another 3 years for a new chapter

Login or register to comment