• Published 2nd Nov 2011
  • 2,084 Views, 61 Comments

Domino Effect - Wheller

  • ...
5
 61
 2,084

Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The party tapered off around one in the morning, the town’s folk piling out one by one until it was just Twilight, Vinyl, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Pips Domino. Spike and Dinky had gone back to the Library several hours ago; they were both still young and needed their rest.

“Great party Pinkie Pie!” Rainbow Dash said, rubbing a hoof through Pinkie’s mane. “Just like always.”

“Aww I can’t take credit Dashie! It was a hit thanks to Pips!” Pinkie called out, offering a smile at the guest of honour.

“What can I say? I haven’t had an audience in years. I didn’t think anypony still wanted to hear that old stuff,” Pips said with a grin.

“Come on!” Pinkie Pie said. “Everypony knows that just because something’s old doesn’t mean you throw it away!”

Pips Domino gave her a polite grin.

“Do you want us to help clean up, Pinkie?” Twilight asked.

“No! That’s okay! I got it!” Pinkie Pie said with a bright smile.

The group turned to leave. When Pips stopped and turned back. “You go on ahead, I’ll catch up, I want to talk to Pinkie Pie about possibly have more shows here!” He said with a grin.

The group departed, leaving Pips Domino and Pinkie Pie alone.

“You like her, don’t you?” Pips asked. “Twilight Sparkle?”

“I...!” Pinkie Pie called out, being caught off guard by the question. “”What... no! I mean... well... is it that obvious?” She said, her ears beginning to droop. “Yeah... but... she’s with Rainbow Dash now, I mean... I’m happy for them and all! I really am! I just...”

“Don’t worry, it’s not too obvious,” Pips said with a grin. “I’m just good with stuff like that. I’ve got a small confession to make. I don’t want to talk to you about doing more shows.”

“Oh?” Pinkie Pie said; she gave him a quizzical look. “What did you want to talk about then?”

Pips smiled and removed his sunglasses. Pinkie Pie gasped. His eyes... they weren’t blue.

“Self preservation,” Pips Domino said. His eyes... they were blood red. Pips reared up and kicked Pinkie Pie hard in the face, sending her flying backwards into the wall.

“See? Here’s the thing, a long time ago... you could almost call it, another life... I used to get these strange dreams! Dreams promising me of great reward should I accept the offer presented to me, promising endless pain should I refuse, naturally I accepted the offer that I was given. I became a slave to him.” Pips said, standing over Pinkie Pie and looking down upon her. His red eyes glowing brightly in the darkness.

“Wha... what?” Pinkie Pie said she was horribly confused; a trickle of blood was rolling down her forehead.

“And then something happened... something changed. But then again, just recently I started having the dreams again. I began to remember things that didn’t happen. And that was when he visited. He looked different, he talked different, but it was him. He told me, ‘do one thing for us, and you shall be free.’ Naturally, he’s not the kind of boss that you say ‘no’ to.” Pips said.

“Wha... what did he want you to do?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“Oh don’t you worry your pretty little head about that,” Pips said with a sneer. “It doesn’t concern you; doesn’t concern anypony in this town! Well... except the dumb clod they got to carry it! Let’s just say that it’ll all go out with a bang!”

“What... do you want with me!?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“Because I’m not stupid! The boss man? He’s not just going to let me go! I get to continue on with my life? I doubt it, I’ve outlived my usefulness to him, and so he’ll get rid of me. All I’m interested in is saving my own skin... and that’s where you come in! See, you’re the key baby!” Pips said with a grin. “Remember that other life I told you about? Everypony and their grandmamma with a major stake in it were fighting over you! Or... more specifically, the knowledge that’s locked up in your brainpan. The knowledge that you’ve forgotten.”

Pinkie Pie began to shiver with fear. Pips Domino clearly had a plan for her, and she was scared beyond belief.

Pips looked at her and gave her an insincere smile. “Time to cash out.”

He raised his hooves and brought them down again on Pinkie Pie.

She knew no more.

...

Fluttershy awoke to sunlight shining through her windows. Something felt... off. She raised her head, and discovered that she had fallen asleep next to her visitor... and more importantly, that Surprise had latched onto her and was snuggling her in her sleep.

Fluttershy turned bright red, her wings extended. She needed out of this and she needed out right now. Fluttershy squirmed and wriggled as gently and easily as she could, the last thing she wanted to do was jerk around too sharply and wake Surprise up.

She was almost out when Surprise began to stir, and she adjusted her hold on her. She began to snuggle her tighter.

Fluttershy was stuck, there was no way out of this without waking Surprise up... and she simply didn’t want to go that route.

That’s okay... I can just lay here for a while... Fluttershy thought to herself. She noted that Surprise was... rather soft. Ideas began to run through the timid pegasi’s mind, but she just as quickly shoved them into the back corner of her mind. No no no Fluttershy! You can’t think like that! It isn’t proper!

Surprise began to stir again, her eyes opened and she raised her head off the pillow. She turned bright red and released Fluttershy promptly, looking completely mortified at what had happened.

Fluttershy turned and offered her a smile, causing Surprise to recoil away.

“Are... are you okay?” Fluttershy asked.

Surprise shook her head in the negative.

“Do you... need anything?” Fluttershy asked.

Surprise said nothing.

“Are you hungry?” Fluttershy asked.

Surprise said nothing.

“Thirsty?” Fluttershy asked.

Surprise said nothing.

Fluttershy was stumped; she was way out of her league here. She was going to need Twilight’s help for this, and she knew it.

“I... have to go into town for a bit, are you going to be okay here?” Fluttershy asked.

Surprise didn’t say anything, but then slowly nodded her head in affirmation. Fluttershy rose from the bed and trotted out of the room.

Surprise promptly buried herself back under the covers.

Fluttershy trotted into town, her stomach rumbled, and she realised that she was quite hungry, she had just passed Sugarcube corner and decided to stop in for a nice bran muffin. She pushed open the door to discover that the entire place was a huge mess. Pinkie Pie had clearly had a party... but it was odd, because Pinkie Pie always cleaned up right away after she threw a party.

“Um... hello? Is anypony here?” Fluttershy called out.

No answer.

Fluttershy thought of going up and making sure that Pinkie Pie was all right... but she decided against it. It was Saturday, Sugarcube corner opened late on Saturdays, which is why the cakes weren’t here. Pinkie Pie was probably just tired. Fluttershy didn’t want to wake her up for no reason.

Fluttershy backed out of Sugarcube corner and continued on about her way. Fluttershy walked down to the Library and knocked on the door.

The door opened to a reveal very sleepy looking Vinyl Scratch. Fluttershy almost gasped upon seeing her, she had never seen Vinyl without her goggles on.

“Hey!” Vinyl said sleepily, rubbing her eyes. “What’s up Fluttershy?”

“Oh! I’m sorry, did I wake you?” Fluttershy asked timidly.

“Naw...” Vinyl said, adding a yawn. “Sorry! Pinkie Pie threw a party last night that lasted pretty late. Come in! Come in!”

Vinyl stepped aside and allowed Fluttershy entry. “So what’s up!?”

“Oh... I was hoping that Twilight could help me with something... I’ve kind of exhausted everything I know...” Fluttershy said. “I know it’s still kind of early but...”

Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle trotted down the stairs, yawning loudly as they reached the bottom.

“Oh! Hey Fluttershy! What’s going on? Is everything all right?” Twilight asked.

“No, well... I mean, yes... I mean...!” Fluttershy said. “Um... maybe it would be best if you took a look for yourself.”

Twilight nodded and the group donned their winter clothes and headed out into the cold. Vinyl had donned her goggles and saddlebags and they went off towards Fluttershy’s cottage.

Fluttershy pushed open the door and lead them upstairs.

“Do be gentile,” Fluttershy said as they stopped outside her room. “She’s very shy.”

“She?” Rainbow Dash asked as Fluttershy pushed open the door.

Surprise’s head shot up in shock as the group entered the room. Twilight and Vinyl’s mouths dropped wide open. Vinyl pushed them all out of the way and stormed up towards the bed, her saddlebags whipped open and before Surprise could even blink, Vinyl’s revolver was pressed against her temple.

Vinyl glared at the Pegasus before her, anger seething through her mind, “What... is this... thing... doing here?”