• Published 18th Apr 2012
  • 881 Views, 6 Comments

Tales of a Former Ponyville Librarian - ArtieStroke



Human in Equestria, reliving the series

  • ...
2
 6
 881

Chapter 2

I sighed loudly as the bell overhead jingled.

"Just a mo-" Rarity looked up from her work, noticing me, "Oh, Palette! For what do I owe the pleasure?"

Sighing dramatically once more, I leaned against wall, pressing a hoof to my forehead, "Rarity, you would not BELIEVE the day I've had."

"Oh dear," Rarity got up, trotting over, "Is the librarian work all that difficult?"

I blew out some air, "Rarity, please- I'm a professional. No no, this is much, much worse."

With a twirl and a flick, I present the royal decree from the cleverly hidden position behind my back. I put on my most tragic face, and with grim resignation I say:

"I'm getting a roommate."

Rarity looked at the scroll, then back to me, then to the scroll again, before giving me a most unamused stare.

"Darling, really you must tone down the dramatics."

"Tch, you know you love it," I grin, opening the scroll up, "Seriously, though- look at that. The Princess is sending her prized pupil here for the celebration to oversee things."

"WHAT!?"

Rarity practically ripped the scroll from my hoof with her telekinesis, pouring it over. I roll my eyes.

"See, now she pays attention."

After a few moments, Rarity let out a sound like a tea kettle ready for tea, hopping in place as she rolled the scroll back up. I smiled- counting the Mayor, Rarity was one of the few ponies I had regular contact with. Have to hand it to the girl, she had her dreams and she was pursuing them with a kind of dedication that I wasn't sure I was even capable of. An already accomplished business woman, with her eyes set on getting her brand in the capital.

Hopefully I could get this Twilight person and her a moment or two alone to buddy up and get Rarity a contact. It was the least I could do.

"Palette, darling this is SPECTACULAR!" Rarity jumped at me, her face uncomfortably close. I lurch back a little, pressing my head back into my neck and forming at least two new chins.

"Uh-"

"Oh my goodness, I- oh I need to redress the shop! New designs on the ponnequins, my best work out on the- Palette, you must convince her to see my shop!"

Grinning a little forcibly, I put a hoof up and create at least two extra feet of space between us, my face flushed.

"I mean, yeah I was absolutely definitely going to do that already. You're my home girl, Rarity- I owe you."

Rarity let out her signature, what I call "beatbox of scoffing", shaking a hoof in my direction, "Honestly, Palette- I was simply doing the dignified thing to do. It's not everyday a pony appears at the edge of town, suffering amnesia and a panic attack, but I'd like to think anypony would do the same thing in my stead."

Aheh, yeah- amnesia. Sure, it was a weak, overplayed lie- but come on, what was I gonna say? 'I'm actually a totally different species trapped in another body?'

I mean, seeing how commonplace magic was in this world, maybe the truth would have been more easily accepted than I thought, but I was too deep in this now, man! I had to double down on my story!

"Anyways, this calls for a celebration!"

"Oh?"

Rarity nodded, walking back over to her counter and straightening the stack of papers she was designing on, "It just so happens that Fluttershy had to cancel on our weekly spa trip today, and I will not accept 'no' as an answer from you, Palette."

I frowned a little. Oh, come on- was I really that much of a recluse?

"I can do spa- why don't you think I can do spa? I'm well adjusted! I go out in public all the time!"

"For anything aside from groceries?"

... Well, shit. She's got me there.