• Published 18th Apr 2012
  • 881 Views, 6 Comments

Tales of a Former Ponyville Librarian - ArtieStroke



Human in Equestria, reliving the series

  • ...
2
 6
 881

Chapter 1

“Alrighty, that one’s due back in a week. Thank you for your support!”

Davenport nodded, book securely in his saddlebags before exiting through the library’s doors, “Much appreciated, Miss Brush!”

“No problem- just make sure to keep it away from the quills section! Don’t want a repeat incident.”

I sigh as the doors shut. You know, when I was younger I thought being a librarian might actually be a cool part time job. But in a small town like Ponyville, it was so DULL. Barely anyone stopped by, aside from the occasional school filly looking for assigned reading material or the occasional book lover. At least it gave me some down time to work on my own writing, or maybe do a sketch or two.

I’m getting a bit ahead of myself- my name is Palette Brush; librarian and freeloader off of Ponyville’s local taxpayer dime.

Honestly, that was also another good perk of this job- comes with a free place to live. And it’s not bad- back home I’d have to bust my butt working two waitressing jobs just to hold down an apartment. Equestria’s economy definitely wasn’t in the dire straits the good old U.S. of A was.

Oh yeah, before I go on I should probably mention- I wasn’t always a pony. Freaky, right? Every time I think about that I just kind of get the feeling that somewhere I should be cringing a little. But yeah, despite the technicolor fur job and quartet of adorable hooves, I was once human. Homo sapiens. Probably the homo-est of sapiens to be honest. Then one day I go to bed, wake up the next in a body that isn’t mine.
But that was ages ago. It’s a nice life- living as a pony. Sure I miss burgers some days- fingers too. Fingers would be SO useful, like you have NO idea. Telekinesis is a pretty good tradeoff but it’s just WEIRD and-

Okay, that’s a path that leads to freaking out. Gotta not take that path, my freaking out days are behind me.

The bell chimes as the library door opens again- snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Miss Brush?” the distinctive voice of Ponyville’s mayor calls out. I stand and trot around the desk.

“Mayor Mare- not here to make more budget cuts, I hope?” I say, with a sarcastic smirk. The mayor laughs.

“Miss Brush, please- the library is a valuable resource for all of our citizens. I couldn’t bear to trim the budget where it’s most needed.”

Mayor Mare is probably the first local politician I’ve ever actually trusted. Rumors about her mane aside, she’s the most honest and caring person in the political field I’ve ever seen. If the politicians back home were even half the mare she was-

There I go again about the past. Present, Palette- focus.

“Just getting a rise out of you, Mayor Mare- it’s nice seeing someone who cares so much.”

Mayor Mare scoffs, “Please, I’m just doing my job,” she then cleared her throat, “Speaking of, I’ve actually got one for you- if it’s not too much trouble.”

She pulls out a scroll, marked with the symbol of a radiant sun. Now, I’ve never been to Canterlot in the year or so I’ve been in Equestria, but I’ve been able to recognize the royal seal when I see it.

“It seems the Princess is sending somepony to oversee the preparations for the festival- her brightest student. And, she’s requested the lodgings at the library for her student’s stay.”

I whistle, “Oh boy, you’re giving me a roommate? How did you know I was so lonely here?” I said, forcing a dramatic hoof to my dramatic forehead. Mayor Mare rolled her eyes.

“This should only be a temporary thing- just make sure she’s comfortable and given as many amenities as she needs, alright?”

With a quick salute, I grin, “Aye aye, Mayor.”

She nods, “Good, good. That’s about all I needed to say, the scroll should tell you the specifics.”

The mayor turned towards the door, then stopped for a moment, “Oh, and Palette?”

“Mm?”

“Please, do try and get out more- it feels so stuffy in here, I can’t imagine how you can stand it.”

My grin falters for a bit, “I’m, ah- working on it. You know, just… so busy with work and stuff. Through rain and snow and all that, right?”

“That’s the mail courier’s slogan,” Mayor Mare said, before shaking her head, “Good day, Miss Brush.”

“Right back at’cha,” I respond, only forcing the grin on my face just a little. The moment the door shut behind her, I groaned.

Alright, it’s not like I’m a total misanthrope- I mean, I’d like to think I like people, you know? It’s just… going out can be so draining sometimes. That and I was pretty sure most ponies in Ponyville thought I was some kind of freaky weirdo. I may or may not have had a bit of a meltdown my first day here.

But that’s all in the past- the mayor’s right, I oughta at least try and go out sometimes. Maybe hang out with Rarity- I mean I may be more of a cartoonist than a fashion designer, but we’ve both got a thing for art. Plus she was pretty nice to me during my first week.

I take a look out the library window, and I can already feel myself getting tired as I watch all the ponies at work, preparing for the festival.
God, I would trade almost anything to be more of an extrovert.

I break the seal on the envelope, and start to read. Blah blah, special request, blah blah Princess, blah Twilight Sparkle and Spike the- oh holy crap a dragon? Those were a thing that existed!?

How the heck am I gonna fit a dragon in this tree library? This VERY FLAMMABLE tree library?

Author's Note:

Once more into the breach.