• Published 30th Aug 2014
  • 3,968 Views, 79 Comments

Ponies Are Animals Too - Zurvan



The story of how Fluttershy came to adopt Scootaloo:

  • ...
8
 79
 3,968

Chapter 8: Family

Takes place during “Flight To The Finish”

Chapter 8: Family

Fluttershy comes into the library crying.

“Fluttershy, what seems to be the problem?”

“The ponies at foal services….” Fluttershy cries as she passes a letter to Twilight.

Twilight opens the letter and reads. ‘Miss Fluttershy, we regret to inform you that your request to adopt the pony named Scootaloo has been denied. Sincerely, Pencil Pusher.’ “They don’t give you a reason or anything?”

Fluttershy shakes her head and cries. “Scootaloo was looking forward to being part of a family. How am I going to tell her it can’t happen?”

“Come on Fluttershy, we’re going to Canterlot and going to ask about this letter.” Twilight says forcefully.

“Twilight,” Fluttershy starts to emplore.

“No, we’re going.” Twilight says. “Now!” She grabs her crown with her magic and starts out, Fluttershy following behind her quietly. The two of them board the train and go to Canterlot where they enter the building for the Department of Foal Services. “Excuse me, we’d like to speak to Pencil Pusher, please.”

The secretary, Type Cast responds. “Do you have an appointment?”

“Yes, it’s Princess Twilight Sparkle.”

Type Cast looks up in shock. “P...p...princess?”

“Yes, and I would like to talk to Pencil Pusher.”

“Ri...ri..right away!” She runs off, and comes back with a yellow earth pony.

“What is the cause of this commotion?” Pencil Pusher asks.

“Very simple ma’am. I want to know why you rejected my friend Fluttershy’s request to adopt a filly.”

Pencil Pusher looks nervous. “Fluttershy, Fluttershy. Oh yes, the animal caregiver. According to our records her house is not up to the standards necessary for adopting even an older filly.”

“Fluttershy didn’t you send in the paperwork for the remodel of your home?” Twilight asks.

“Of course I did.” Fluttershy says.

Pencil Pusher pulls out a folder. “I see nothing about a renovation here.”

Twilight walks over and looks at the folder, then opens her saddlebags. “Luckily I have a copy of the paperwork.”

“Twilight?” Fluttershy asks. “Why would you have that?”

“Part of the town record, I keep it at the library. I grabbed everything right before we left.” Twilight answers matter-of-factly as she makes magical copies of the paperwork and then hands Pencil Pusher the copies.

“I see, you keep excellent records, Princess. I also notice that not a single piece of this paperwork has your signature on it.”

“I have no intention of using my position to force anypony to do anything. I am required to use my title whenever I conduct business though, and since I am concerned about my friend I felt it necessary to come help her.”

“I see, then why didn’t you let her use her name?”

“She can be reserved, she tends to talk quietly, so I figured I should say my name.”

“That makes sense.” Pencil Pusher says as she looks over the paperwork. “Looks like everything is in order, I don’t know how we didn’t get this paperwork before.”

“So does that mean?” Fluttershy asks meekly.

“Yes, I see no reason why you couldn’t adopt this Scootaloo.” Pencil Pusher says as she signs some documents and hands them to Fluttershy. “There you go, you’re officially her guardian.”

“Thank you,” Fluttershy says with a smile, then her and Twilight head back to the train. “I can’t wait to tell Scootaloo.”

“I’m sure she’ll be as happy as you are.”

=========

The train pulls up to Ponyville and Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo come running off the train. “Well how did you three do?” Rarity asks

“We won!” Sweetie exclaims.

“We get to carry Ponyville’s flag for the Equestria games.” Scootaloo grins.

“This calls for a double celebration!” Pinkie yells.

“Double celebration? What else we celebrating?” Apple Bloom asks.

“Why Scootaloo’s adoption of course.” Pinkie answers and the three fillies gasp.

“Pinkie,” Fluttershy quietly scolds the party pony. “It was suppose to be a surprise.”

“Sorry,” Pinkie says dejected.

“It’s official?” Scootaloo asks, and Fluttershy nods. “I have a family?” Scootaloo starts to tear up.

“Scoots you okay?” Apple Bloom asks.

“Bloom,” Sweetie says. “I think she’s overwhelmed, perhaps we should let her go home.”

“Home?” Scootaloo whispers. “I have a real home again?”

“Of course you do Scootaloo.” Fluttershy answers. “There was a room I was just using for storage I had fixed up for you. It may not be the best..”

Fluttershy is interrupted by Scootaloo hugging her so fast and tight the air is knocked out of her. “I’m sure it’s perfect, Fluttershy.”

“Would you like to see it?” Fluttershy asks.

Scootaloo nods and lets go of Fluttershy. “Let’s go.”

“Come on girls,” Pinkie says as she leaps in front of Fluttershy. “Adoption party at Fluttershy’s.”

Sweetie looks up at Rarity. “Can we go, please?”

Apple Bloom looks to Applejack at the same time. “Can we?”

“I don’t know, l it sounds like a private affair to me.” Rarity answers.

“I was hoping you would all come over, and help Scootaloo settle in.” Fluttershy says.

“Well, I guess we can go then.” Applejack says.