• Published 17th Apr 2012
  • 1,451 Views, 24 Comments

Belly of the Well - MrRusset



Murder Mystery/Romance featuring adult Apple Bloom and Spike

  • ...
1
 24
 1,451

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Over the course of his career as an enforcer of the law in Manehattan, Spike had stared down criminals who were bigger and stronger. Some had guns, some knives and baseball bats. But none unnerved him like the look in Apple Bloom's whiskey-brown glare. He dragged his gaze away, turning to pick up the polished steel lantern from the seat next to him.

Coward. If just seeing her had this affect on him, he hated to think what talking would do. Her reaction to him was pretty much what he’d expected. He’d known she would be far from happy to see him. But he had hoped she wouldn’t be as furious as she’d been when he’d left town. But given the look in her eyes, he’d say that was one wasted hope. And damn if it was no less painful than it had been five years ago seeing her anger, her hurt.

Not that he blamed her. He hadn’t just left town, he’d flat-out run, tail tucked between his legs. But he was back now. He picked up the lantern and, bracing himself against the wind and Apple Bloom, he opened his door and stepped out.

The sun glinted off the wagon's metal frame so he couldn’t see her face as he walked to the front of the carriage. But he could feel her gaze boring into him like a knife as he snugged his dark brown cowboy hat down to keep it from sailing off in the wind.

When Russet had visited the office this morning, Spike had instructed him not to go near the well again. The ranch foreman’s original tracks to and from the well were the only ones in the soft dirt. It surprised Spike though that Apple Bloom hadn’t gotten out to take a look before he arrived. She obviously hadn’t known the order was from him or she would have defied it sure as the devil.

As he looked out across the ranch, memories of the two of them seemed to blow through on the breeze. He could see them running across that far field of wild grasses back in Ponyville, her long, red mane blowing back, face lit by sunlight, eyes bright, grinning at him as they raced back to the barn.

They’d been so young, so in love. He felt that old ache, desire now coupled with heartbreak and regret. Behind him, he heard somepony take off a harness, then the another stomp down out of the wagon bed. He didn’t have to guess who caused which sound.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Russet hang back, waiting by the side of his wagon, out of the way—and out of earshot as well as the line of fire. Russet was no fool.

“Are we goin’ to stand here all day admiring the scenery or are we goin’ to take a look in the damned well?” Apple Bloom asked as she joined Spike.

He let out a bark of nervous laughter and looked over at her, surprised how little she’d changed and glad of it. She was small, especially compared to the dragon's bipedal posture. She couldn’t weigh a hundred and ten pounds soaking wet, but what there was of her was a combination of soft curves and hard-edged stubborn determination. To say he’d never known anypony like her was putting it mildly. Well, except for her sister, Applejack of course.

He wanted to tell Apple Bloom why he’d come back, but the glint in her eye warned him she was no more ready to hear it than she’d been when he’d left.

“Best take a look in that well then,” he said.

“Good idea.” She stood back as he trailed Russet’s tracks to the hole in the ground. A half-dozen boards had once covered the well. Now only a couple remained on the single row of rocks rimming the edge. The other boards appeared to have been knocked off by the wind or fallen into the well.

He opened the lantern's door and with a quick snort lit the wick inside and shone the beam down into the hole. The well wasn’t deep, about fifteen feet, like looking off the roof of a two-story house. Had it been deeper, Russet would never have seen what lay in the bottom.

Spike leaned over the opening, the wind whistling in his ears, the magic fire's beam a pale green as it skimmed the dirt bottom—and the bones. Spike had seen his share of remains over the years. The sun-bleached skeletons of small mammals were strewn all over rural Equestria. But just as Russet had feared, the bones lying at the bottom of the Russet-Apple Ranch's dry well weren’t from any wild animal.

Apple Bloom stood back and stared at the back of Spike’s duster. She wished she didn’t know him so well. The moment he’d looked down, she’d read the answer in his shoulders. Her already upset stomach did a slow roll and she thought for a moment she might be sick. Dear Celestia, what was in the well? Who was in the well?

Spike glanced back at her, his green eyes drilling her to the spot where she stood, all the past burning there like the hot green flame he carried. But instead of heat, she shivered as if a cold wind blew up from the bottom of the well. A cold that could chill in ways they hadn’t yet imagined as Spike straightened and walked back to her.

“Looks like remains of something, all right,” Spike said, giving her that same noncommittal look he had when he’d rode up. The wind whipped her long rosey mane around her face. She took a painful breath and let it go, fighting the wind, fighting a weakness in herself that made her angry and scared.

“They’re pony bones, ain’t they?”
Spike dragged his hat off and raked a hand through his scales, making her cheek tingle remembering the feel of rubbing against that slick dome of his. “Won’t be certain until we get the bones to the lab.”

She looked away, angry at him on so many levels that it made it hard to be civil. “I know there are pony remains down there. Russet said he saw a pony's skull... so stop lying to me.”

Spike’s eyes locked with hers and she saw anger spark in her brownish red eyes. He didn’t like being called a liar. But then, she could call him much worse if she got started.

“We don't know that. Could be a buffalo, a lost deer, hell even a wolf; from this far it's too hard to tell for sure.” Spike paused for a moment and with a sigh continued. “But yes, from what I can see, the skull appears to be equine. Satisfied?” he said.

She turned away from the only one who had ever satisfied her. She tried not to panic. If having Spike back—let alone the interim marshal—wasn’t bad enough, there was a body in the well on her ranch. She tried to assure herself that the bones could have been in the well for years. The well had been dug when she was just a filly, before she even moved here. Who knew how long the bones had been there? But the big question, the same one she knew Spike had to be asking, was why the bones were there.

“I’m going to need to cordon this area off,” he said. “I would imagine with it being calving season, you have some cattle moving through here?”

“No cattle in here to worry about,” Russet said.

Spike frowned and glanced out across the ranch. “I didn’t notice any cattle on the way in, either.”

Apple Bloom felt his gaze shift to her. She shook her head to brush a strand of her hair from her face before looking at him. The words stuck in her throat and she was grateful to Russet when he said, “The cattle were all auctioned this fall to get the ranch ready to sell.”

Spike looked stunned, his gaze never leaving hers. “You wouldn’t sell the ranch.”

She turned her face away from him. He was the one person who knew just what this ranch meant to her and yet she didn’t want him to see that selling it was breaking her heart just as he had. She could feel his gaze on her as if waiting for her to explain.

When she didn’t, he said, “I have to warn you, Apple Bloom, this investigation might hold up a sale.”

She hadn’t thought of that. She hadn’t thought of anything but the bones—and her added bad luck in finding out that Spike was acting marshal.

“Word is going to get out, if it hasn’t already,” he continued. “Once we get the bones up, we’ll know more, but this investigation could take some time.”

“You do whatever you have to do, Spike.” She hadn’t said his name out loud in years. It sounded odd and felt even stranger on her tongue. Amazing that such a small word could hurt so much.

She turned and walked back to Russet’s wagon, surprised her legs held her up. Her mind was reeling. There was a body in a well on her ranch? And Spike was back after all this time of believing him long gone? She wasn’t sure which shocked or terrified her more.

She didn’t hear him behind her until he spoke. “I was sorry to hear about Granny Smith,” he said so close she felt his warm breath on her neck.

Without turning, she gave a nod of her head, the wind burning her eyes, and climbed into the wagon bed, sending a glance to Russet that she was more than ready to leave.
As she started to pull the tailgate shut behind her, Spike dropped one large palm over
the top of the door to keep it from closing. “Apple Bloom…”

She shot him a look she thought he might still remember, the same one a rattler gives right before it strikes.

“I just wanted to say…happy birthday.”

She tried not to show her surprise—or her pleasure—that he’d remembered. That he had, though, made it all the worse. She swallowed and looked up at him, knifed with that old familiar pain, the kind that just never went away no matter how hard you fought it.

“Apple Bloom, listen—”

“I’m engaged.” The lie was out before she could call it back.

Spike’s eyebrows up. “To anypony I know?”

She took guilty pleasure from the pain she heard in his voice, saw in his face. “Silver Tongue.”

“Silver? The lawyer?” Spike didn’t sound surprised, just contemptuous. He must have heard that she’d been dating Silver. “He still saving up for the ring?”

“What?”

“An engagement ring. You’re not wearing one.” He
motioned to her left hoof.

Silently she swore at her own stupidity. She’d wanted to hurt him and at the same time keep him at a safe distance. Unfortunately she hadn’t given a thought to the consequences.

“I just forgot to put it on this morning,” she said.

“Oh, you take it off at night?”

Another mistake. When Spike had given her an engagement ring so many years ago now, she’d sworn she’d never take it off.

“If you must know,” she said, “the diamond got caught in my saddle bag, so I took it off to free it and must have laid it down.” His brows shot up again. Why didn’t she just shut up? “I was in a hurry this morning. Not that it’s any of your business.”

“You’re right,” he agreed. “Must be a big diamond to get snagged on something.” Not like the small chip he’d been able to afford for her, his tone said.

“Look, as far as I’m concerned, you and I have nothing to say to each other.”

“Sorry, didn’t mean to pry into your personal life.” A muscle bunched in his jaw and he took on that all business marshal look again.

“I’d appreciate it if you and Russet wouldn’t mention what you found in the well to anypony. I know it’s going to get out, but I’d like to try to keep a lid on it as long as we can.”

He had to be joking. The marshal’s office dispatcher was the worst gossip in the canyon.

“Anything else?” she asked pointedly as his hand remained on the door. His gaze softened again and she felt her heart do that pitter-patter thing it hadn’t done in so long.

“It’s good seeing you again, Apple Bloom,” he said.

“I wish I could say the same, Spike.”

His lips turned up in a rueful smile as she jerked hard on the tailgate, forcing him to relinquish his hold. If only she could free herself as easily. The tailgate slammed hard. Russet loaded himself into his harness and began trotting away without a word. She knew he’d heard her lie about being engaged, but Russet was too smart to call her on it. As sun beamed down on them, Russet swung the wagon around. Apple Bloom raised a hoof to her brow, flushed with a heat that had nothing to do with the warmth from Celestia's magic. She could see the ranch house down the hillside. Feel the rattle of the tires over the rough road, hear the wind in the air. She promised herself she wouldn’t do it even as she slowly turned around to look back. Spike was still standing where she’d left him, looking after them.

Happy birthday.

Comments ( 17 )

Pretty good

I'm liking the look of this. I've got to say though, it's prologue not prolougue. I almost skipped over this one completely, since I usually avoid things with any mistakes in the title.

466578

Whoops, didn't even notice! Is there a way to change it or would I need to re-upload it?

466665 You can go back and edit the title itself directly, last I remembered.

466739

Hehe thanks, I figured it out.

Great chapter. Kind of reminds me of a episode of Walker, Texas Ranger. Eagerly awaiting more.

468729
Ah, I haven't seen that show in so long, despite Chuck Norris' internet popularity. Maybe I'm subliminally influenced by memories from my youth hehehe.

476806
quite possibly. hell i still know the entire song. this is still a good read nonetheless.

Riz

Uhmm...hi there...Uhmm...can I ask you well...uhmmm....when is the next chapter coming out ?? :twilightsheepish:

Wild West romance.
It's that kind of romance that begins as utter hatred and blossoms into true love overnight after a stiff drink at the Appleloosa saloon.
It's also my favorite kind of romance.

Can't wait for the next chapter, my friend. I'm thoroughly enjoying this one.

Riz

464808

Can I ask when's the next chapter will come out ?

476806 Pleas when is an update for this coming out? I have been waiting since April. This was the second fic I ever read so I'm kind of attached to it. Please can we have an ETA.

Riz

921314

W-what ??? :fluttercry: :fluttershyouch: :fluttershbad: :raritycry: :raritydespair: :applecry:

930873 This isn't flimsy fact, this is cold hard SPECULATION!!! He hasn't been seen online since this 476806, and that was just over 3 months ago.

I too... truly wish for an update. Yet I fear for the worst.
arteis.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/no_update.jpg

So....safe to say that this is now dead? Crap.:fluttercry:

I got to get up and be one of the ones to beg for a update for this great story. I know it has been a while but i wouldn't feel right if i didn't plead to have this story continue. I've ready many over my time on here but this is one of the few that has really caught my eye that i know would become a favorite. If there is anything I can do to give you a hand to keep pumping them out just let me know. This is too good of a start to just let it die.:moustache:

Login or register to comment