• Published 27th Nov 2014
  • 2,081 Views, 78 Comments

She's A Rebel - TLC



After returning from her and her parents' trip to Manehattan, Sweetie Bell brings with her a whole new image and attitude Rarity and Ponyville was not expecting.

  • ...
8
 78
 2,081

2. The Minority

Rarity's eventual return brought with it an awkward silence, wrapping the afternoon up nicely with the quartet sitting in the living room of the library. Twilight and Spike sat side by side, with Sweetie Belle sitting in the lone chair, along Rarity by herself as well. Twilight hadn't planned out her day to lead to her playing councilor, and by the way Spike stared between the fashion mare and the now rugged filly, having to lecture Spike on timing.

"Ahem," Twilight began, "so now that we're all calmed and collected, I feel you should hear what Sweetie Belle has to say."

Rarity glanced in her sister's direction. Part of her had already blocked out and forgotten what she had done to her mane, the red menace atop her naive head a mess and clomp of dry unconditioned...She took a deep breath, and nodded.

Sweetie sighed, crossing her hooves turning her gaze to the floor. "Rarity, you hurt my feelings."

Rarity whimpered.

"Back on the platform...it took alot to step off the train and approach you like I did, I was happy when I saw my big sister waiting for me when I came home." Her voice grew more stern. "I wanted to think that you of all ponies wouldn't totally flip out and treat me like I joined a cult of pony eating griffons."

Spike and Twilight watched as the filly uncrossed her hooves to grip the sides of her chair. "When I was in Manehattan, I found something that I really clicked with. When I asked mom and dad about it, they encouraged me." Sweetie tore her gaze from the floor and her once sad eyes drew daggers on the crystal irises of her sister. "Why can't you?!"

Rarity jumped in her seat, biting her lip and trying to conjure up the right words. "Sweetie Belle I...you can't just-"

"What?!" Sweetie was shouting now. "Can't I make a choice? I've got almost nothing else that I can identify myself as, why not let me find myself in a way that won't hurt me, cause property damage or cause you to stress for once?"

Spike kicked his feet up on the table. "She's gotta point."

Twilight rolled her eyes at the young dragon, before grabbing his feet in her magic and removing them from the table. "What she's holds some merit, Rarity. As...um, a little outrageous and out-there this path Sweetie has taken is, it sure is an alternative to setting a fire and attempting to put it out for a firefighting cutie mark isn't it?"

Sweetie's eyes shifted. "Yeah, um...'setting the fire' is kind of speculation-"

"I suppose it is, Twilight." Rarity sighed, turning to look at her sister. "but I'm worried this...alternative is opening doors to a new set of problems. What about the other ponies, foals, teachers and parents?"

"Buck em'."

"Spike!" Twilight snapped at the dragon, an appalled expression on her's and Rarity's faces while Sweetie Belle stifled a giggle. "What has gotten into you?"

"No Twi, I'm on to something!" Spike defended, standing up from the couch. "Look, I have a little more experience in being in the minority than you alright?" He turned to Rarity. "I know what it's like to be the one and only blank in town, and it's not easy. Hay, I don't even get to sing in the spontaneous songs."

Twilight bit her lip. "You could've if you wanted to..."

Spike rolled his eyes. "Anyway, but it builds character. If Sweetie wants to discover who she is through a Mohawk, some eyeliner, and a biker jacket then go for it! And if anyone wants to put her down for it, treat her like a rebel-" He turned to Sweetie. "-then wear it like a cutie mark and own it. No one can ever have the power to make you feel out sided."

Speechless, the duo of mares and one filly watched as Spike turned and picked up the books he had dropped before and made his way up stairs, whistling a tune along the way.

"I...I had no idea Spike was so outspoken." Rarity stared off in awe.

Sweetie's lips curled into a dreamy grin, her cheeks' temperature rising. "Yeah...so cool."

Twilight deadpanned. "So...are we all okay now?"

The two remained silent, still staring off after where the dragon vanished. Twilight face hoofed.

"Please leave so I may finish my shower."



----



The boutique door opened once more that late afternoon, with Rarity and Sweetie Belle entering it side by side and both relieved the day had nearly come to an end.

"You know, despite being dragged in here against my will and practically being baptized, it's good to be home." Sweetie Belle smiled, walking towards the stairs to her room.

Rarity shut the door, sighing. "Oh, I said I was sorry."

"No you didn't!" Sweetie called down from the stairs, sticking her tongue out at her sister. She then saw a mischievous grin on Rarity's lips, and a feeling of horror came to her. She let out a yelp and ran up the stairs as her big sister playfully charged after her.

She rushed to her bedroom door and grabbed the door handle with both hooves , turning it as Rarity rounded the corner of the stairs. Sweetie fell into the door as it flew opened, which lead her into tumbling in and turning just in time to be lifted up into a hug.

"Ah!" Sweetie Belle laughed as her sister hugged her tight before placing her on her bed. "Apology mostly accepted."

Rarity grinned. "Mostly accepted, are we?" She turned to the corner of the room, where Sweetie Belle's luggage sat. "What did you bring back from Manehattan?"

Sweetie rolled her eyes, avoiding eye contact and giggling. "Oh, nothing much. Just some stuff here, souvenirs there."

"Souvenirs?" Rarity asked.

Sweetie tutted, hopping off the bed. "You're no fun. Yes, you have a gift!" She approached her bag and zipped it opened, reaching in and pulling out a purple box with a cyan bow wrapped around it.

Only as the filly turned away from the bag, a square plastic case fell out and hit the floor with a light 'clack'.

Rarity furrowed her brow. "What is that?"

Sweetie Belle froze, the gift wrapped present still in her muzzle. "Mumfng!"

The plastic case was then levitated into the air and flew up in front of Rarity, in which she read the cover aloud. "Teenage Retirement?" She turned to her sister. "Is this a CD?"

The case was then snatched out of her magic and into Sweetie's. "Okay! Well, I'm tired so you should probably leave so I can get some sleep, you know long day traveling!"

"B-But wait! Don't you want me to open your gift?" Rarity asked, as she was forcibly pushed out of her sister's room.

"Of course!" Sweetie Belle said, turning to grab the box in her muzzle and tossing to Rarity once she was outside the room. "Gladtobebackloveyounight!"

The bedroom door shut in Rarity's confused face, leaving her alone in the dim lighted hallway. "Well, alright then. Love you, too." She chuckled, turning away with the present in her magic.



----



Rarity later laid in bed late into the night, wrapped in her silk covers. Her bedroom only being lit by her bedside lamp as she held her favorite story in her hooves. A red pair of reading glasses on the edge of her muzzle.

She turned to the clock on the far side of the room, it then reading fifteen minutes past ten. With that, she removed her glasses and placed them with the book atop her nightstand.

As she went to turn out the light however, she stopped at a familiar sight on the edge of her bed. The gift box Sweetie gave her. The events of the whole day came back to her, shaking her and filling with worry at the same time. Of course, the love she held for her sister could conquer any disagreement between them, but that wasn't what unnerved her.

It was for Sweetie's sake Rarity worried, she would be putting herself out on the spot. She had enough problems around town as it was since coming to live with her, with Applebloom and Scootaloo alone with those fillies they always seem to out it with from time to time. She just didn't want anymore reason for her parents to...

"Buck em'."

"...If Sweetie wants to discover who she is through a Mohawk, some eyeliner, and a biker jacket then go for it! No one can ever have the power to make you feel out sided."

"...Can't I make a choice? I've got almost nothing else that I can identify myself as, why not let me find myself in a way that won't hurt me, cause property damage or cause you to stress for once?"

The cyan ribbon unfurled and fell away from the box and the lid lifted away to reveal something Rarity found most humorous.

A regal purple collar...meant for a pony. It was decorated with spikes and a tag for one Miss Generous...

"Ah. Well..." Rarity giggled to herself. "Then it appears I have nothing to worry about."