• Published 24th Sep 2014
  • 15,861 Views, 1,828 Comments

The Witching Hour - Chaos is Change - Chaotic Ink



Part 2 of The Witching Hour. Midnight's been in Ponyville for a year and been through a lot already. But, honestly, she and her friends haven't seen anything yet.

  • ...
21
 1,828
 15,861

Season 2 Epilogue

“Truly, “the hits keep coming”, sister,” Luna said as she and Celestia, along with most of the royal guard, flew around to the backside of Canterlot Mountain. It was only a week after the wedding and Cadance and Shining Armor were on their honeymoon and, hopefully, away from any new crises. Like this one might turn into.

“Agreed,” Celestia said unhappily. Up ahead, they could see the vanguard milling about one of the larger holes in the mountain. Seeing which one it was, she let out a silent sigh of relief. At least it hadn’t been the other one. The project in that one needed to be ready soon, she just knew it.

As they approached, a chariot pulled by two pegasi guards came to meet them. “Anything to report?” Celestia asked.

“Only that it… she is still inside,” Acting-Captain Holly said with a salute.

“You went close enough to recognize gender?” Luna asked.

“She came out, your highness. At least, her head did.”

“And what did she say?” Celestia asked. It was rather unusual for a dragon to tolerate others flying around right outside “its” cave.

Holly looked uneasy. “She… asked to speak with the two of you, actually.”

Celestia and Luna shared a look.

“Very well, we will speak with her,” Celestia said. “Is there any chance she gave her name?”

“No ma’am,” Holly said.

“Very well.” Both princesses swooped down to the mouth of the cave with most of the guard taking up positions right outside, ready to shoot in to rescue them both if need be.

They spotted her as soon as they entered: a large, light blue dragon with light purple belly scales and sea green colored eyes and two horns spiraling out from the back of her skull. She was chewing a mouthful of gems and when she saw them she quickly swallowed. “My, that was fast,” she said, moving her bulk as to look directly at the two alicorns. “Though I shouldn’t be too surprised; I picked this cave specifically to get attention.”

Both Celestia and Luna nodded. “We are Celestia and Luna, the rulers of Equestria,” Celestia announced. “May we ask who you are and why you wished to see us?”

The dragoness smiled. “A diarchy? Don’t see many of those; interesting. I am Shoal, recently released from my duties for the Dragon Migration and here in Equestria to look for a certain individual. I hoped you could help with that.”

The royal sisters shared another look. This wasn’t exactly how interactions with dragons normally went. There was usually a lot more fire and smashed… everything.

“We will… do what we can,” Luna hedged. “Who is this individual you speak of?”

“I’m not exactly sure where to begin,” she admitted, scratching her chin with a claw. “I met her during the dragon migration but she was an odd one. The first time, she was a wyvern and said she was from the Storm Clan. Are they here in Equestria?”

Celestia and Luna blinked in surprise. “I’m sorry to say that, no, the Storm Clan is no longer in Equestria and haven’t been for quite some time.”

Shoal hummed thoughtfully. “That would explain the confusion… well, to continue, the next time I saw her, she… wasn’t a wyvern. As near as I could tell she seemed to be a mix of a pony and a dragon.”

“Her kind is called kirins,” Celestia supplied.

“Kirins…” Shoal tried the word. “Interesting… this is the first I’ve ever heard of them.”

“There were never very many and they all but disappeared nearly fifteen hundred years ago,” Celestia told her. “The one you seek is the first we’ve met after all that time.”

“So you know her then?” Shoal asked interestedly.

“She is a great hero of our land, well known and loved by many,” Luna said, a bit defensively. “What business would you have with her?”

Luna,” Celestia hissed quietly.

She is a dragon, sister!” Luna shot back. “You know the rivalry between dragons and wyverns; why else would she be here if she didn’t see Captain Midnight’s entering of the migration as a slight!?

Dragons also don’t normally act so civil! Maybe she would continue to explain herself in such a manner as long as we act so as well?

Luna “hmph”-ed and nodded for Celestia to speak.

“What my sister means is,” Celestia continued apologetically, “is that, yes, we know her. Did she do something to offend during the migration?”

Shoal waved a claw dismissively. “No crime worse than a wyvern showing up to a gathering of dragons. Otherwise she was perfectly respectful. No, I’d like to know more about her because she didn’t seem to know anything about the rather foolish feud between our races. That, and the fact that she is the offspring between a pony and a wyvern from the Storm Clan.” She picked up a small clawfull of gems. “I’d like to hear her story, if you know it.”

Both sisters hesitated, looked to each other, then turned back and Celestia began. “It started with a letter my student sent to me some time ago…”

Author's Note:

Just gonna leave this right here :trollestia:

Comments ( 184 )

Will you make a sequel?

9401665
Sequel? Hell, we're only half way done! That's why it's a SEASON Epilogue!
*yeah gods, I made a terrible mistake so long ago...*

Do not make it onesided with wyverne being right and dragons wrong.

Truly a great finale to this season of The Witching Hours! Simply amazing! Out of curiosity, when should we expect the start of season 3?

I ban you to 2 days in Tartarus for leaving us on a cliffhanger

(I would have made it longer, but I want you to be able to continue writing the story)

Jaw meet floor
Floor, meet jaw

Have a ball, play nice.

NOOOOOOO Cliff hanger

9401702
So, when's the next chapter of your '2 Bits Short of a Full House' fic?

Didn't expect Shoal to show up again. It will be interesting to see what part she will play in the sequel.

9401734 Actly you can make it longer as long you give him something to write with. :twilightsmile:

9401726
I want to say this month

9401769
After season 3 starts and one fits in

If Shoal is here, maybe Spike could ask her to properly teach him the way of the dragons?

9401891
Don't worry, take as much time as you need :D
I have been prepared for long waits by the masters of extremely long hiatus, Tofu and Noone.

9401900

And what is Long Spine? Chopped liver? :raritywink:

This has been a very nice ending to this "Season" though it has left me curious as to how you will handle the event where Thorax "overthrows" Chrysalis and changes the changelings. But there is a full story to be told before that and can't wait to see both unfold

9401942
Actually the Thorax thing was just a throw-away cameo/reference/shout-out. I don't plan to go past season 4 or have any changelings change like that.

9402005
Why dont you plan to go past 4? Ive heard some authors dont like to do it because it feels like theyre just rehashing the entire show, is it the same thing for you?

9401828
Yes, but if I did that he would have something to do instead of suffering his punishment :pinkiecrazy:

Comment posted by Zapper Frost deleted Jan 14th, 2019

9402107
No, Midnight's story will be done by then. Also, that's when the show kinda went downhill for me, so I'd rather stay in the first four seasons. I have an idea that the movie happens about ten years or so after that and I might do something with that, but that's it. Also Equestria Girls.

GAH! I HATE CLIFFHANGERS, THEY LEAVE WAY TOO MANY QUESTIONS UNANSWERED! WHY MUST YOU TORTURE US SO YOU EVIL, EVIL CREATURE!:flutterrage:

9401891
Please don't rush. Works like this need time and love to work well and flow smoothly. If anyone gives you a hard time then they know nothing of hard work and patience. Thus they are not true fans, but just those that are here and gone in the blink of an eye with little care for what is being done.

9402227
:trollestia:
Mmm, yes, the tears of fellow bronies sustains me!

9402236
I know, that's why I said I want, because I've already got the first chapter started and I want to believe that I know it's going to progress and so the chapter should flow easily. Plus, the second half of the season is all original content that happens after Twilight accenssion and that's where all this story has been leading to. With season 2 done I can see this stuff on the horizon and I WANT to get to it.
Plus, that bring me closer to the Equestria Girls part of the story, and I'm looking forward to that, too.

9402370
Spiders will be spiders. I need not know where they came from as long as they kill bugs.

Up next; Midnight Storm and the City of Food. :trollestia:

9402335
you're afraid of spiders? I didn't know that. anyways, I get it the only reason why they made a new design was to sell toys; not for a TV series overarching plot. But it's there, Thorax is there, without him the whole season 6 will just unravel itself.

I can barely wait for the next part. And Midnight in EQG world will be hilarious :rainbowlaugh:

9402396
Well, it's good the story will end with season 4, then, is it?

9402399
I've already written some of that, and trust me, it will be, especially when I eventually get to Rainbow Rocks

9402410
Hmm, sounds like a good stopping point to me. after that season everything just kind of ... Went .. somewhere. It isn't bad but, I feel like they should just change it to a whole different series. Instead of continuing on with Twilight and her gang. you know, pass on the torch to the next friendship gang and they're mixed match Adventures.

EVIL!!!!!

Gratz on another great story ending. Looking forward to more of your world.

Now time to reread from the first story!

9402157
I can go with that. It's funnier than the truth anyway. :rainbowlaugh:

9402156
Are you saying she hasn't taken a shower in her wyvern form before?

It took just over a year and a half to finish the last season and this one took 4 years to finish, i think the next season might take 8 years to complete.

Gureato.

Now instead of waiting for updates I get the fabled "between season hiatus waits". Truly the good lord provideth. Im kidding though, can't wait for season three and the family reunion that I hope finally happens.

Well, you did it again. You have created a story worthy of the highest honors and praise for your dedication and attention to detail. Well done sir, well done indeed. I am pleased to say that you have once again created a book worthy of the Masterworks Library, and I would be honored to be the first to welcome your book into the 26th slot in the hall of greatness that it deserves to reside within. Your plotline was believable, entertaining, lovable from beginning to end, and had me begging for more after every chapter from start to end. Keep up the amazing work, and I look forward to seeing you continue the next season later on.

See you next chapter,
Shadow Quill, Messenger of the Moon.

9402312
Just don't want you to stress yourself out, seen a number of stories suddenly end just as things were getting good. Plus, don't want Midnight killing you for giving away her beauty secrets. :raritywink:

9401689
Looking forward to the next season.

Just gonna leave this right here

Keep giving us epic cliffhangers like this one and I'm gluing you to your computer chair. just so I'm not holding on the edge forever!

*read chapter*
*realizes it's the Epilogue*

Noooo....:raritydespair:

9402413
Waaaait a minute there. Ponies become humans, dragons become dogs... Will midnight be a werewolf?!? :pinkiegasp:

9402499
considering she's only transformed for battle before and then quickly changed backed, no, she hasn't bathed as a wyvern.
Yet.

9402610
10 more years! 10 more years!

Login or register to comment