• Published 12th Aug 2014
  • 1,116 Views, 20 Comments

How the Apple Bloomed - Writagon



From the diary of Zecora of how she met Apple Bloom and raised her for a day, written from Zecora's perspective.

  • ...
2
 20
 1,116

Diary of a zebra

I was on my way back from my daily roam and what did I see in front my home? A little filly in a basket was laid, all alone without any aid. A note I did see whose writer seemed to plea: “Please take care of this mare, her name is Apple Bloom”. One of the Apple folk? Surely this was some kind of joke! I moved closer to her pushing aside the blanket, there she was with an apple anklet. Surely they could have left this lone mare at the Apple barn where she would have some care?

I picked up the basket with care, making sure not to disturb the slumbering mare, taking her in and setting her down gently near my rocking chair. To the kitchen I went to make a stew: carrots, celery, some daisies and put them in a pot to brew. It was early morning and as if without warning, the little filly woke up willy-nilly. To where she was I went and soon did I noticed there was a terrible scent! A change was in desperate need and so I was stuck having to do the dirty deed.

Once the job was done her diaper had to be redone. I grabbed the pins with care pushing them in, being sure not to poke the mare. When the stew was ready I went to get a bowl of it and kept it steady. With a spoon in hoof I gave it a scoop, blowing gently on it and feeding her soup. Happily she ate the brew that I did create, slurping quietly at the spoon while I hummed a gentle tune.

To my surprise she did not get upset so I was glad I did not have to fret. She looked at me carefully before smiling quite cheerfully! A smile came across my face, never did I think I would see something so cute in this place. In the middle of the Everfree forest did my home reside, a dangerous place for a pony to be outside. A quaint little home I made of this tree originally intended just for me, but it seemed for now I had an adoptee!

Once I was done feeding Apple Bloom, I picked her up and left the room. She let out a quiet chirp so I gave her a pat until she had to a burp. I brought her to my room and laid her in bed, she yawned and closed her eyes, tired after being fed. Quietly I trotted out to not disturb her sleep, lest she wake and start to weep. Back to my potions I trotted, holding a flower that I spotted.

I took the flower to my potions and began to go through my usual motions. A bit of a chant, a scoop of this, a dash of that, and leaf of snake plant. My pot I did brew, round and round I stirred the magic stew. Once the mixture began to the glow I filled an empty bottle and did not spill a drop, I’ll have you know. Cork in hoof I plugged it up and put it on the shelf next to a wooden cup.

I took the cup off the shelf filling it up, but it was not for myself. Into my room I went with it, next to little Apple Bloom did I sit. A rag I sunk into the brew, putting it on her head to prevent pony flu. I looked at the little filly, I could not keep her here that would be silly. To the Apples she would have to go, before night time that much I did know.

It was yet to be the afternoon but I knew that night time would come as if it was soon. I decided to cherish the time I had, it felt like such a long time since I had been glad. No company did I ever see, but yet here she was with me in my tree. I sat quietly while watching her sleep; not a sound did she make, not even a peep.

To my kitchen I went again needing something to eat: carrots, apples, or perhaps a beat? I needed something tasty to fill my belly, so I decided to make some apple jelly. The apples I took as they were the fruit that I needed to cook. With my apples on a board, I cut them all up and into a bowl they were poured. In went some water and put it on to boil, the sweet jelly would surely be worth my toil.

Once those apples began to cook I took a look over at my book. The heat I lowered and let simmer, making sure the fire went down and got dimmer. My hoof I took to mashed them well, giving it a taste it was quite swell. When the apples were done in a cloth they went to let them juice run. Into a bowl the juice went, the smell of the apples always had a wonderful scent.

In went some pectin and sugar into the mix, if it was one thing I knew how to fix. After I stirred on it went again to boil, my food was one thing I did not want to spoil. Next, in a jar it had to go and put somewhere cool that I know. Time it would take for it to be ready; I made sure to keep the glass jar steady. I got some bread and a bit of cheese spread, and had myself a snack to fill me up instead.

As I ate I heard a small squeak, I took a look and saw little Apple Bloom trying to speak! How she got in here on her own I do not know, she must have quite clever to do that much though. I set the bread down on the table and picked her up to set her on my lap to keep her stable.

“Little Apple Bloom, what are you doing out of the room?” I said: “You really shouldn’t have gotten out of bed.” She looked curiously up at me before she smiled with such glee. I couldn’t help but smile even though I have not done it in a while. It was getting to be the afternoon and I knew she was going to want to eat soon. I sat her down gently upon my chair and told the little filly to stay right there.

I went to get the apple jelly, surely that would be enough to fill her little belly. She watched me looking at the jar, her little hooves reached out as if it was not far. I smiled and set it down she was eager and did not want to wait around. I made sure the jelly was nice and thick before scooping it up and watching her eat it quick!

“Careful when eating something yummy, you don’t need to upset your tummy” I said. She looked at me with a cock of her head, interested only in being fed. I fed her a few spoonful’s after which she seemed content and not much of a hooful. I set her down off the chair and used a hoof to fix her messy hair. I watch her crawl around on the floor, making her way towards the front door.

“No, no you silly; the Everfree forest is not a place for a filly” I warned her. “Playing inside is something I much rather you prefer.” I trotted after her to make sure she did not leave, to think the she left made me feel quite naïve. For there was sitting with a ball, she had no intention to leave, none at all. She rolled around with the toy, playing and giggled with such joy.

I decided to join her on the floor, what happened next I didn’t know was in store. She pushed the ball right to me and then she sat where she was waiting expectantly. I smiled and gave the ball a bump, watching it roll back to her and making her jump. On the ball she rolled again, she was having fun so I could not complain. Off the ball she fell so I went over to make sure she was well.

Not a single mark on her head, I was relieved that I did not have to dread. She was more concerned about the escaping ball, so I picked her up and brought her to it so she did not bawl. I let her pick it up and hold it, in her little hooves she held it even though it did not quite fit. She looked so cute as I held her, words with no meaning did she slur.

I gave her a gentle hug and set her down, knowing it wouldn’t be long until she wasn’t around. She could tell that I was sad, so she hugged my leg until I was glad. I felt the strings of my heart tug until I picked her up again and gave her a hug. I held her tight in my hooves not wanting to let go, but I knew I was going to have to do just that though. I smiled at the little mare, the show her how much I did care.

I decided to take her and show her some alchemy maybe that will help my sanity. I sat her down near my pot, making sure that she was in a safe spot. I took a potion off the shelf and showed it to her trying to explain how it helped oneself. Out came the cork from the bottle with a pop, I put it on a plant which then grew almost nonstop. She clapped her hooves with such glee, it seemed like she was applauding me.

The sun was starting to set and the little one was going to sleep soon I bet. She gave a yawn so I took her to bed, the next thing I had to do was something I did dread. I laid her down in the basket I found her in, reattaching the note to it with a pin. Once she was sound asleep I picked it up with my teeth, putting on my cloak hoping none of the ponies would see who is underneath. Out the door and through the forest I carried her, once we got to the edge I knew where the Apples were.

I carefully approached the barn, taking care to not disturb even a single yarn. I set little Apple Bloom down by the door and gave it a knock, fleeing with speed as not to give the Apples a shock. I watched from the edge of the trees, making sure she got taken into the home of those three. As soon as she was taken in I smiled weakly and made the trot back to my home rather meekly. It was hard on me having something so special I could not keep, once I got home I could do naught but weep.

It seems like it was so long ago, but any thought of her yet brings me woe. I still imagine her little basket by my bed, making me remember her little sleeping head. I had not realized what joy had come into my life, until it was gone and replaced with strife. I tried to hope that maybe someday she would come, having following her hooves back to where she came from. I look out my windows sometimes hoping to see, her smiling face looking back at me.

One day I heard a knock at my door, could it be the thing that I did implore? Cautiously I opened it and for a moment I thought my heart might quit. Little Apple Bloom was standing there, a potion she had made with care. I was so happy and filled with glee, to see her taking after me. I knew that she should never know that I care and I was no longer filled with despair. To see her willingly come into my alchemy room, made me so proud to see how my little Apple bloomed.

Comments ( 20 )

Any story of closeness between the two is wonderful.

It's not every day that we get to see a fic about these two.

My brain wants to explode it's that rhyme doe so much rhyming and non rhyming sorry gota go my heads gona explode I smell smoke that no joke

This. It's...it's just so beautiful!:fluttercry:

4838296
Glad you liked it. :eeyup:

4838427
Nap
Still haven't figurer out what to do with Apple Family Adventures: A big Surprise?

4838570
I know what to do, but I still get the occasional random idea to write things so I like to do them while I'm thinking about it. But that will probably be next to get finished before I go onto something else.

Well, this is a very sweet story.
Two close friends and how it all started.
I am glad that you you took the time to write this story, thank you and Good luck.

Also, thank you so much for posting this story. At this point, I'm having trouble with rhymes because Zecora is involved in my story and I wanted to try her out a bit. (Anyone that's not Applejack or her family or Spike are hard for me.) And there's so many rules about how to write Pinkie.

4839371
The fact that's there are even rules for Pinkie who has no rules seems silly lol

This is the first time I've read a Zecora and Applebloom relationship piece. I loved it! I can't imagine writing an entire story in rhyme, but you pulled it off fabulously. It was a treat to read. Keep on writing, you're doing a great job!

4841219
Thanks very much, glad you enjoyed it.

Zecora wouldn't write in rhyme, nor would she think that way.

Do you think Applejack thinks and writes with a hick accent?

4884875
Most likely because that is the way they are accustomed to speaking. This would make no sense whatsoever if it were written without rhyme and still labeled as Zecora.

4884943

Easy enough way around that; have her telling the story to someone else.

4884959
True, but this is something I doubt she would exactly tell someone, so thats why its written in a way as if she were.

May I do a dramatic reading of this sometime in the future?

4884875 I think Applejack would think in her accent but not write. Zecora would, as it's a manner of speaking. An accent is a matter of voice
:applejackconfused: getting confused from myself, but i think it makes sense?

Login or register to comment