• Published 17th Apr 2012
  • 8,583 Views, 544 Comments

The Twilight Zone - Bad Horse



25. Necessary Evil: Lord Tirek will return to wreak havoc on Equestria... when he is needed again.

  • ...
29
 544
 8,583

11. Changeling Dream

I dreamt that the soldiers had come. The small square in front of my home was dotted with figures in green uniforms, as if shrubs and saplings had sprung up through the pavement overnight. A cluster of them were dragging the changeling across the street out of his house. He was a famous tenor, and I threw the shutters on my front window wide open, because I knew that his suffering would be exquisite.

Changelings, I knew within my dream, look like ponies, but they’re wrong inside. They are uniquely sensitive to emotion. If their neighbors fight, instead of slamming the window, they lean out and listen. When ponies need comfort they barge in offering sympathy, sidling up to them in hopes of a taste of their pain.

They travel among ponies, watching, listening, grasping for emotions and desires, storing them to savor at leisure. But sometimes it overwhelms them, and they regurgitate these stolen feelings as poems, paintings, stories, or music which the ponies can consume, as a sap-sucking aphid expels a glistening drop of refined sugar when prodded by a black ant. So the ponies allow a few changelings to live in each town. The ponies provide the raw materials that the changelings refine.

Usually, the ordinary vicissitudes of life are shocks enough to ensure a steady flow from each changeling. But sometimes, when the ponies praise some changeling’s excretions highly for their sweetness, it grows content, and hoards its nectar. Then it needs prodding.

My neighbor, Windsong, was very successful, and for the past few months had been dangerously happy. I couldn’t see him now, with the green-clad ponies swarming over him like weaver ants over an intruding hoof, but I saw the light rippling over their backs as they twisted back and forth, like aspen leaves in the wind, their forelegs pulsing with a steady rhythm. Soon I heard the clear tones as he began to sing. I leaned against the window-sill, leaving my work to wait. The pony beside me did not stop me.

Some performers seek to amaze their listeners by piling notes upon each other, rapid-fire, as if the aim of music were to get it over with as quickly as possible. Windsong could sing one note, and hold it, and that one note would mean more than a fusillade of sound from a mere technical master. His voice reached in and ran its fingers lightly over my soul, plucking at my deepest secrets. I glanced at my companion to see if he suspected, and I saw the same shameful expression on his face.

All about the square, windows opened, heads thrust forward, ponies leaned dangerously far out of upper-story windows to get a few inches closer. The soldiers felt it too. Their limbs thrashed more vigorously, as if dancing, and the song rose in intensity and power in reply. I felt tears trickle down my face, but no longer felt ashamed, for while that voice spoke to me I understood without words that tears were the proper response to the beauty and the horror of life, and it was those who did not cry who should feel ashamed.

His voice rose and swelled, drawing us reluctantly and joyfully towards the conclusion of his song. Soon I would understand everything.

But the song squealed to a halt, and the soldiers drew back. I saw Windsong lying on the ground. He breathed in quick, violent gasps, like hiccups in reverse. Panic flowed off him as he realized he might not complete this, his greatest performance. I staggered, drunk on his sharp, acidic fear, mingled with the aftertaste of my own despair of ever being able to communicate it. His eyes implored the soldiers for just one more blow, that final kick that would expel his finale. His sides heaved in quick, shallow jerks from the beating and from the power that had flowed out of him. Then they stopped.

A large earth pony stepped forward with the business-like gait of a sergeant, then turned and lashed out at Windsong with his hind legs. I perked my ears and leaned forward hopefully. Nothing.

The sergeant reared on his front legs and came down heavily on Windsong with his hind ones, three times in quick succession, but each time Windsong’s head and legs only bounced a little, as if he were made of rubber.

A few soldiers kicked the body experimentally before backing away, still panting from their work and muttering resentfully, like farmers regarding a particularly stubborn stump. The townsponies in the street lowered their eyes and drifted slowly away, while those in the windows pulled their heads back out of the light, and shutters banged closed one by one.

I don’t know for how long after that I wept, knowing I would never hear the end of the song.

The pony standing beside me brought me back to my senses with a swift kick to my stomach. “Show’s over. Get back to work, changeling,” he said, and slashed my face with his forehoof, and everything disappeared behind a burst of stars.

Then I awoke from my dream of changelings, and found I had written this story.

Author's Note:

In addition to GhostOfHeraclitus, thanks to the Killer B's for their critiques: BenMan, Bradel, & BluePaladin42.