• Published 28th Aug 2014
  • 5,264 Views, 185 Comments

The Sun Won't Come Home - bahatumay



Princess Celestia gave her life fighting against Sombra. That's what the sources say. But Twilight is convinced she was transported to another dimension. Now, fifteen years later, she succeeds in following her.

  • ...
40
 185
 5,264

Chapter 3

The woman’s jaw worked wordlessly as she tried to process the sight. “Twilight Sparkle?” she finally managed to say.

“Princess Celestia! It is you!” Twilight sprinted up and gave her teacher an affectionate hug and tight nuzzle, not stopping to think just how strange this would have looked to the surrounding people as this human Celestia hugged an invisible pony. Fifteen years of effort had finally come to fruition. Her hunt was over; she had finally won. The sun princess was coming home.

Twilight suppressed a gasp as Celestia ran her hands through her mane, stopping to scratch behind her ear. Her whole body relaxed as Celestia scratched. This just felt… good.

Too soon, she withdrew her hand. “You’re here,” Celestia said, as if saying it out loud would make it easier to comprehend.

“I am,” Twilight said. “I came to find you.”

Celestia smiled and stroked Twilight’s mane again. “Oh, Twilight... You always were one to accomplish anything you put your mind to,” she said.

“And I did! I set up relays to replicate the impact and respective strengths of the spells and it worked! Now we just need to set it up again. I'm sure you have everything we need here; I just need a few hours to recharge my stores but I should be rea-”

Celestia placed a finger over Twilight's mouth. “Twilight, we need to talk.”

“Yes! Yes we do! There's a lot we need to catch up on. Did they shoot at you, too?”

“They what?” Celestia demanded, quickly leaning down and running her hands through Twilight's coat. “You got shot at? Did you get hit? What happened?”

“Heh… long story. But we gotta get you home. It's a weird place here. They have metal carriages, and thundersticks, and their weird plants that smell funny and…”

Twilight gasped and her world skidded to a halt as Celestia grabbed her ear and tweaked it hard to one side, twisting it back and holding it against the side of Twilight’s head. Twilight had expected that to hurt, but for some reason, it didn’t. In fact, she felt relaxed; almost pleasured. Her eyes rolled back into her head and she let out a soft whinny.

“I had always wondered if the ear twitch worked on ponies,” Celestia murmured, releasing her hand (much to Twilight’s displeasure). “I know there’s much you want to talk about, but here is not the place. Let’s go back to my house, and then we can talk more there.”

* * *

Twilight had never thought metal carriages could even exist; and now here she was, riding in the back of one. She had gathered much information from her short time here. These two young fillies with her were named Selene and Dysis, and they referred to her as their mother.

She also learned that the area referred to as 'the trunk' was not a good place for ponies. It was bumpy, cramped, and most uncomfortable.

It soon came to a stop, and Twilight heard voices and doors opening.

“Leelee, Dissi, I've got some things to do out here. I'll be right in to make a snack, ok?”

“Ok, Mommy!” the replies quickly came.

Twilight blinked as the trunk opened. There stood Celestia, hand outstretched to help her out. “I'll be right back.” She grinned. “They're kids. They get hungry. Feel free to look around the garage.”

Twilight slowly put her hoof in her hand and climbed out. She stretched, spreading her wings and popping her back, enjoying the feeling of freedom again.

When Celestia was certain that Twilight would be alright, she headed inside, and Twilight decided to explore this garage. She poked around the sports equipment hanging on the walls. She recognized tennis rackets and various bouncy balls, as well as a rather dusty set of golf clubs. She grinned. It was nice to see that some things were always the same.

She paused as she came upon something that was not the same. It seemed to be a small box that smelled of gasoline, but with a wide, sharp metal sectioned shaft sticking out from one end. It was easy to see how it was supposed to be held; but what did it do? The long part seemed like it was made of a chain, but that really made no sense; it didn't connect anything.

She poked it some more. This part with a plastic tip looked like it was meant to be pulled, and what kind of scientist doesn’t explore all the obvious possibilities? She gripped it with her teeth, braced the box with her hoof, and pulled it. It made a loud whirring noise, but didn't react other than that. Maybe it needed to be pulled faster? Twilight tried again. This time it made an even louder noise, but that seemed to be it. Surely this wasn’t just a bulky noise-maker? Unless imitating a swarm of bees was a good defensive strategy? She frowned, trying to think of any other possible purpose.

“You're going to flood the engine if you keep doing that,” Celestia's voice broke in.

Twilight jumped, and she spun around to see Celestia, back in the garage, carrying a plate.

“Sorry about that,” she said, returning to Twilight and kneeling to be at her eye level. “You probably shouldn't be playing with that, anyway. Carrot stick?” she offered, holding a few out. “You must be hungry.”

Twilight's stomach growled, and she realized that she hadn't eaten anything in a long time. She happily took one. At least the carrots tasted the same here.

Celestia waited until she had finished the first one before standing up, taking a step back, and screwing up her face and concentrating.

There was a flash of golden light, and the Celestia Twilight knew and loved stood there.

At least, it once might have been her. Twilight couldn’t help but gasp (and drop the carrot in her mouth) as she saw Celestia’s appearance. In her day, Celestia was pristine, pure, and ageless. Now, though, she looked older, a bit more worn out. Her mane didn’t flow as quickly, and its colors seemed a bit more washed out. Though her eyes remained as brilliant and sharp as she remembered, there were lines underneath them that Twilight was certain were not there before.

She smiled at Twilight's expression. “Here, as in many other worlds, the sun needs no mistress to bid it rise. Without my connection to the sun, I age normally.” She allowed herself a small smile. “It is not as painful as I feared, though.”

“You don't control the sun anymore? What do you do?”

“I’ve set my sights a little lower these days.” Her smile turned wry. “Politics here make Equestrian politics and squabbling look like kindergarten playdates. Now, the only leading position I want is best-selling children’s author.”

Twilight blinked. “An author? You're writing books now? About what?”

“Oh, six really good pony friends from another dimension where magic flows through the universe. One is quite intelligent, one loves working with animals, one loves to race, one is delightfully random…”

Twilight's jaw dropped. “You're writing about my friends and me?”

Celestia nodded, and though it may have been Twilight’s imagination, a tiny blush may have appeared on her cheeks. “Well, with some artistic liberty taken, of course. But yes. Your friendship lessons have been inspiring to millions of children; and, for some reason I have yet to understand, many adults as well.” She paused. “Mostly males in their early twenties, for some reason. I still haven't figured that out… Perhaps it is the illustrations?” She shook her head. “Anyway, I’m currently in third place, and the number one spot belongs to one Dr. Seuss; but since he is a doctor I suppose I shouldn’t begrudge him the top spot.” She leaned in and gave Twilight an all-too-familiar wink. “Though, between you and me, I’m getting closer and closer every day.”

Twilight nodded as yet another question occurred to her. “So if you’re here, what happened to Sombra?”

For the first time, Celestia looked a bit sheepish. “Well…”

* * *

Celestia suddenly impacted the ground and skidded through the dirt, getting the wind knocked out of her.
Sombra had been traveling upwards at the time of the explosion, and so he had appeared in the air. His momentum kept him flying upwards, and so he landed more easily on his hooves and recovered faster.
Celestia tried to light her own horn, but she couldn't concentrate on drawing her power as her empty lungs desperately fought for air.
“Ssssdeathh!” Sombra crowed triumphantly, his eyes glowing bright green as he slowly approached and charged his power. Celestia gritted her teeth, closed her eyes and waited for death.
It never came.
There was a loud sound and then the deep, meaty thunk of a collision. Some kind of monstrous metal cart had come over the hill. Unable to stop in time, it hit him in the side, running him over with all six tires in a whirlwind of black and gray.

* * *

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “Really?” she asked incredulously. “He returned from banishment and the dead, enslaved an entire country twice, held his own in a fight on two separate occasions against you and Luna, who are two powerful alicorns; and he got killed by a human with a cart who just wasn't watching where he was going?”

Celestia nodded, a familiar smile playing at the edges of her lips. “I swear, you can’t make these things up.”

* * *

The creature inside jumped out and rushed over. He rested a hand on his neck and then sighed.
“Poor fella never had a chance,” he mumbled. “Ah swear, Ah didn't even see 'im there… jumped out at me… Knew Ah've been awake too long... Ah just...”
He looked over at Celestia, and a wry smile crossed his face. “Well, maybe I can save one of two,” he murmured.
Celestia watched, intrigued, as he returned to the back of his strange wagon, and pulled out a bridle and a sugar cube. She raised an eyebrow, which only raised higher as he began to approach slowly and speak as if trying to calm a wounded animal.
“You like sugar? Everyone likes sugar. Come on, Ah won't hurt you, Ah promise.” He lifted the bridle and tried to slide it on Celestia's head.
Celestia easily dodged it and raised an eyebrow. “Are you offering me a sugar cube in exchange for captivity?” she asked.
The farmer dropped the sugar cube in surprise. “You can talk?”
“I can do much more than talk,” Celestia said, spreading her wings dramatically.
The farmer fainted.

* * *

“The farmer eventually recovered, and once I was able to convince him that he was not hallucinating from lack of sleep, he cared for me until I recovered. It just so happens that there are some animals here a lot like ponies, albeit larger, not sapient, less colorful, and much less tactful.” She paused. “And a bit less resilient.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow.

“Well, if you're going to stick your nose under a woman's tail without her express permission, you'd better be ready for her to react,” Celestia said defensively. “And if you can't take what she's going to dish out, you shouldn't risk it.”

“So you stayed on the farm with him?”

Celestia shrugged. “There was plenty of room to rest and recover, and he had oats,” she said.

Twilight had to concede that point. She liked oats, too.

“I paid him back. Once some horse thieves showed up. I protected the stock.” A small smile player on her lips again. “They were not expecting me.” Her smile faded slightly. “Of course, at that time, I didn't entirely understand an electric fence…” She shook her head. “They were fine. Eventually.”

“Sounds like it was a lot to go through,” Twilight said. “But it's all over now! I’ll help you cast the spell, and you can come back to Equestria and become princess of the sun again and you won't get older anymore or anything…”

“Do I have to?”

Twilight stopped, shocked into silence. Her mouth moved wordlessly as she processed Celestia's words. Finally, words of her own came out. “Well, of course you have to! You’re the princess of Equestria!”

“It seems Equestria got along just fine without me,” Celestia observed quietly. “You’re not telling me any stories of anarchy or widespread destruction. Instead, you’re telling me of prosperous times and peace.”

“Well, yes; but…”

“Twilight, do you not understand what I have here? I have a family. I have children. Selene and Dysis, they are literally my little ones. I gave birth to them.”

Twilight paused as images of a pregnant Celestia ran through her head. And then she blushed as images of Celestia doing that which causes a mare to become pregnant flashed through her mind soon after.

Celestia smiled a sad smile and lifted a hoof. “I can barely remember how to walk on four legs, I haven't flown in a decade, and I don’t even say ‘anypony’ anymore. Twilight, this is my world now.”

"This is your world?" Twilight repeated numbly.

Celestia nodded.

“You can't just abandon your kingdom!” Twilight protested.

The air seemed to grow colder as Celestia's eyes narrowed and her wings instinctively flared. “As I recall, I willingly gave my life for my kingdom,” she said, her voice cold as ice. “Don't come to me and act as though you’ve got the high moral ground. I'm certain you stayed up late at night looking for answers, turning away friends in the search of knowledge.”

“Hey!” Twilight started to defend herself, but Celestia cut her off.

“Do not accuse me of deserting Equestria when I gave my life for it. And if I returned, what then? My return would mean abandoning my daughters. They would not understand. Equestria doesn’t need me now. They do. How could I leave them?”

“But-”

“You think I didn’t try to come back?” Celestia hissed. “Ten years I wasted, casting spell after spell after spell, trying to fix something that was never broken in the first place. Equestria has been fine without me, and it certainly doesn't need me now. In this world they say 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'; and I think that's good advice.”

"Ten years? Only ten years?"

"I learned I was aging in three," Celestia commented. "When you're immortal, ten years is nothing; when your lifespan is only eighty, it's a good portion of your life wasted."

"But I'm not immortal-" Twilight protested.

"And thank the fates you're not," Celestia cut in. "It's really not it's all cracked up to be."

Twilight's mouth hung open. She tried grasping at straws. “Luna-”

Celestia's voice grew almost imperceptibly quieter. “If she is wise, she will have moved on already. She and I have been alive long enough to know the pain of loss.”

“And what about me?”

Celestia's words died in her mouth.

Twilight looked up sadly. “I thought I meant something to you.”

Celestia’s eyes softened. She came up close to Twilight and pressed their foreheads together, crossing horns just as she had done when Twilight was a filly studying by her side. “Every eagle was once a hatchling, but soon they grow and must leave the nest. You have made me so proud, Twilight Sparkle. Things I couldn't dare to dream you could do, you've done.” She withdrew slightly and gave her a sad smile. “But it's time for the eaglet to leave my nest, Twilight. You don't need me anymore. You can fly on your own—and you have. You have flown further and higher than I ever thought possible. Further than I have, and I’m not just saying that.” She gently shook her head. “But I cannot be who you wish for me to be anymore. It would not be fair to either of us.”

“I… I need some time to think,” Twilight said, slowly sinking to her haunches and looking down at the ground.

Celestia nodded. She lit her horn and glowed with a golden light. The same human from before was there when the light faded. She shrugged off what must have been their version of a saddlebag, with a cloth sack held in by two long pullstrings around the shoulders. She opened the top and slid out a piece of paper and a few articles of clothing.

“If you want to come inside, here’s the spell to disguise yourself and something to wear.” She smiled. “I'm certain Dissi would love to meet you.”

Twilight remained still as Celestia left the garage. This was not how she had imagined this reunion happening at all.