• Published 28th Aug 2014
  • 5,264 Views, 185 Comments

The Sun Won't Come Home - bahatumay



Princess Celestia gave her life fighting against Sombra. That's what the sources say. But Twilight is convinced she was transported to another dimension. Now, fifteen years later, she succeeds in following her.

  • ...
40
 185
 5,264

Chapter 2

Twilight groaned and slowly pushed herself to her hooves. She quickly determined that she was not dead, which was definitely a desirable outcome. The air wasn’t toxic, or at the very least wasn’t caustic; and the gravity seemed to be somewhat similar to that at home.

She opened her eyes, and quickly closed them again. It was either noon, or the explosion had disoriented her.

And was there always a loud noise that sounded like it was getting higher in pitch?

“Stupid deer! Get off the road!”

Twilight’s eyes snapped open to see a large red wagon, but this one without any ponies pulling it. It seemed to know magic, though, as there were two large lights in front that illuminated the night. Twilight stepped to the side, and it moved forward of its own will.

“Stupid purple deer… Purple?!” The car stopped, and the driver removed a forcefield from his seat and threw out a small bag of what appeared to be grass. “I’m never smoking pot again,” he swore as he replaced the forcefield and moved his carriage away.

Twilight attempted to process this, but didn't quite understand how exposing a metal cooking utensil to fire would be beneficial in any way, or what that had to do with the bag of vegetation. As he left, Twilight realized just how dark it was without his lights. She lit her horn and picked up the bag. Though it had a strange aroma, it appeared to be edible.

But Twilight was not so foolish as to eat new plants without detailed study. Leaving them on the road, she took stock of her surroundings. She appeared to be by a forest of some kind, on a road paved with stones the likes of which she had never seen. Apparently, the ponies here had managed to build with some kind of cement and little rocks that kept the roads relatively smooth, but Twilight could tell that these ponies must not have had hooves, because the strange rock on metal would make ponyshoes wear down and be rather uncomfortable after a while.

If there even were ponies. Twilight remembered the strange, pale, furless thing (aside from his forelock) piloting the carriage. He looked somewhat like she’d looked last time she’d dimension-traveled, but his proportions were too thick and his color was all wrong. Perhaps they all looked like him, but in her opinion, it (probably male, though) had strange, thick proportions, with large hands and wide arms. Nothing at all like the time she had dimension-hopped through the mirror.

Speaking of others… Twilight looked around and began walking the direction from which it had come. If there were one, there were probably many; and she needed to find as many others as she could if she had a hope of finding Celestia.

* * *

She continued walking through the forest, close to the road but not on it, as the rough surface sent uncomfortable tremors through her ponyshoes. She probably would have flown, but the thick underbrush would have made that a very painful option, and besides, she didn't want to miss a single clue as to the whereabouts of Celestia.

Suddenly, a deafening crack rang out, and part of a nearby tree branch spontaneously exploded. Twilight dropped to a crouch, ears pricked up. It seemed like lightning, but far too small and there were no clouds in the sky. It didn't even smell like rain; instead, now that she thought about it, it smelled somewhat like a firework.

Another crack filled the air, and another tree splintered. Now that Twilight knew where to look she saw a person there, aiming a long stick at her. Twilight didn't understand much, but she could tell that the stick seemed to be the source of the noise. She lit her horn and shot a barrage of magic back, hitting it right out if his hands. He shrieked and dove after it, apparently feeling helpless without it.

Twilight took this opportunity to run away, ducking under branches and scampering through the woods. Ponies are very surehooved, and she made much better progress through the underbrush and trees than her bumbling attacker.

When she felt she was a safe distance away, she stood and caught her breath, just now realizing the danger she had been in. That could have been her head instead of the trees! “They don’t know who or what I am!” she realized.

Twilight decided that if these new creatures were going to shoot at her on sight, it would be a good idea to make sure they didn’t see her. After her huge spell and that little expenditure, though, she wasn't strong enough for a complete cloaking spell; but also on that page in the book was a distraction spell (colloquially called the Shield of Boringness) that had the effect of shielding her from view unless ponies were specifically looking for her.

Twilight lit her horn and cast the spell. When she was certain it was working, began to walk back towards the road. Celestia had to have been somewhere close to this road when she traveled; it would only make sense that she’d walked it, too.

And, unfortunately, that meant that Celestia had probably been attacked, too. Twilight swallowed her fear and continued walking.

* * *

The day progressed slowly, but Twilight's endurance never slowed. She eventually arrived at a city that was larger than Ponyville, but not overcrowdedly huge.

That is, until it hit noon. She had to do a lot of dodging and jumping as these people moved, apparently lost in their own worlds with no attention spared for others. She desperately wished her magic would recover as teleportation would have come in handy; but then again, maintaining the shield of boringness while teleporting would be difficult just from the output of magic released. The shield itself was a constant drain, but a fairly slow one; so maybe it was best that she kept hoofing it. It wasn't bad, but it was an expenditure.

She was pleased to find a park, just like in Ponyville. There were trees, shade, and drinking fountains; and since there were foals all over the area, she knew it was fairly safe. Her first item of business was to use the drinking fountain; she hadn't realized just how thirsty she was until she'd seen it being used. It seemed to be a simple twisting motion, and even the youngest was able to get a drink (even if he did have to be lifted by his mother to reach the spout). She waited until there was no line, and then trotted up.

Unfortunately, hooves don’t twist very well.

After a few (or maybe many) false starts, she managed to wedge a rear hoof into the dial and twist it enough to get some water. That was a huge relief, and she drank until she was full. She stepped off and wiped off her mouth, and then began to scan the area, looking for anything that could help on her search.

Now, throughout this whole time, she had been maintaining her shield, so it came as a huge shock to Twilight when a little girl’s eyes grew wide, and she began tugging on the pants of the woman standing next to her. “Mom! Mom! Lookit! It’s a unicorn! And it has wings!”

Twilight paused for a brief moment to feel offended. ‘It’? Really? Surely her appearance was not that androgynous.

Her mother looked down, smiled, and stroked her daughter’s hair. “Dissi, honey; there’s no such thing as unicorns, and especially not winged unicorns. They’re just real in my stories.”

The child frowned. “Well, if there’s not, it sure looks like one!” she proclaimed, pointing accusingly at Twilight.

Twilight looked around, but no one else seemed to be reacting to her presence. Maybe being young allowed her to see through her spell? Or did the power of innocence work in this world? Either way, Twilight did not want to be discovered, and she channeled more energy into the spell in the hopes of dissuading her attention.

Dissi looked back at her mother and then back towards Twilight, and her eyes narrowed in confusion and her hand fell. “She’s not there anymore,” she said sadly. She perked up again quickly. “Can Leelee and me go play on the swings?”

The woman smiled. “Of course.” As the little girl ran off, the woman smiled and slowly shook her head. “Oh, Dysis, such an active imagina-” But her voice trailed off as she turned to look where she had pointed, and her eyes widened and her jaw dropped.

Twilight’s eyes widened as well. Not just because the woman could see through her shield; but because she recognized her. She knew those eyes better than her own. Even framed by golden-white hair instead of a multicolor mane, she knew those eyes.

“P- Princess Celestia?” she whispered.