• Published 30th Oct 2011
  • 11,734 Views, 333 Comments

MLP: The Last Mage - WorldWalker128



A Human recieved an odd inheritance from a dead relative and seeks out answers in another world

  • ...
23
 333
 11,734

Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I awoke the next afternoon around one in the afternoon with the list of items in mind that I would need to gather before I could try to make a Uni-horn wand. First, I would need pure silver. Then I would need a smelter and someone with the know-how to perform the melting and pouring of the silver. I would also need another Uni-horn (or two if I couldn't find a magic-user willing to help me), a pint of my own fresh blood, and twenty-four hours of stand-by time once I had followed the crafting steps.

For the silver I asked Celestia for permission to go down into the city. She of course asked why, and I told her the truth. I was going to attempt to craft a Unihorn wand and there were several things I needed to acquire first before I could. She called for a servant and had her bring me a small pouch of coins.

"In there is enough bits for you to purchase a modest house. Use the funds as you need them but do not waste them. Return the rest when you have what you need." I nodded, thanked her, and bowed. As a safety precaution Celestia sent two guards along with me to make sure that no one tried to rob me or start an incident that could end in violence. I thanked her again and then headed out of the palace.

It was a long walk, but the temperature had improved overall during my stay here and it was almost warm out now. Recalling the pony-people's mental reaction to my cape in Ponyville and them mistaking my form as an illusion or transformation spell I decided to wear it here as well in hopes of leaving the same impression on anypony the happened to take an interest in me, which, it turned out, was everypony. From foals to adults, once I walked into their line of vision they stopped and stared. Some muttered or whispered to their neighbors (no pun intended) while others studied me with interest as if considering imitating me.

Many of the buildings I passed were tall, made of white or light blue stone or marble and looked very...decorative. Any grass they had was neatly trimmed. If they had any bushes or trees they too were neatly trimmed. Great. I'm in rich-people/pony land. It's just as well none of them are speaking to me directly. If they follow the same stereotypical rich-person/pony profile as my people do most of them are probably snobs.

I passed several ornate shops that advertised jewelry, but upon entering and (and often bumping my head against the ceiling) I found out without fail that though they sold 'the highest quality jewelry in all Equestria!' that none of them made the jewelry themselves. Nearly every shop got their goods from the middle-class to the poor-class part of the city, although there was one exception that imported it from Phillydelphia. Hearing the name resemblance to a certain state back home made me feel a little homesick, but I shook it off and asked for directions to the middle-class region. After arguing for several minutes with the one shopkeeper that had told me the name of the forger for more precise directions I finally lost patience and tossed him one of the smaller coins in the bag. It must have been worth alot because his eyes looked like they were going to pop out of his skull when he picked it up and examined it.

"Now where does he live?"

"She, actually." the shopkeeper corrected. "Most mares have more deft hooves for creating jewelry than stallions."

"Whatever!" I said loudly, exasperated. "Where can I find her?!"

"Here, I'll draw you a map." The stallion behind the counter took out a piece of parchment and quickly drew a poor map starting from where his shop was and leading past several land marks to another point on the sheet where he drew a circle. "Right here. Ask for Melinda Jones. She's a little odd , but nopony makes higher quality silver necklaces than her." I nodded to show that I'd understood and then took the map and started back out of the shop. "A question, stranger?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you perhaps one of the contestants to the magic show going on in the middle-class district right now?" I looked back and shook my head no. "Huh. Well, that's a shame. You look like you know your stuff, and your outfit is exotic without being flashy." He shrugged. "Thanks for the tip, stranger!" I turned and continued out of the shop where my two guards waited.

"Any luck?" one of them asked. He was the younger-looking of the two and had a look of innocence about him that the other guard lacked.

"Some, though I must say I was about to strangle that pony. Until I tossed him a coin he was tighter-lipped than a mummy that was sucking on a lemon."

"A what?"

"A mummy. Mummification is an ancient way my people have for preserving the bodies of the dead."

"No, no, not the mummy. What's a lemon?" I blinked. Not what I had expected.

"A lemon is a small, yellow, sour fruit that typically grows in our tropic regions."

"Does it taste good?"

"Not on its own. Usually it is used for making drinks. If I see one I'll buy you one."

"You tossed him a coin?" the other guard asked. "Which kind?" I dug through the money bag until I found another like it and showed it to him. The guard sighed and face-hoofed. "You have no idea how our currency works, do you?" I shook my head. "The larger a coin is, the less value it has. The smaller the coin, the more value. You just gave him about fifty bits." The guard didn't look angry. He looked more like one of those people that frequently said: 'why me???'

"I take it that it's alot?" I asked tentatively.

"Yes. Fifty bits is a little more than what we guards make in three days." I felt like an empty well that someone had dropped a rock in. I could even swear I felt it thump when it hit the bottom.

"Ooooh...I see. Well, on the bright side I got the information I wanted." The older guard's expression didn't change. The younger guard looked like he was trying to hide a smile. "If it makes you feel any better, I promise I won't spend another bit without you being present to tell me how much I'm really handing over."

"That is small comfort with how much you've already given away."

"Oh, lighten up, Dominic." The younger stallion said, nudging Dominic with his shoulder. "Sure, it was with money, but he just made a mistake, and he probably hadn't even seen our currency before today." he looked from Dominic to me. "Am I right?" I nodded, looking and feeling sheepish. He looked back at Dominic, who was looking back. "He's already said that he won't spend anything else without your guidance, what more do you want from him?"

"Fine." he looked back at me. "Lead on, then."

We walked for half an hour in an almost straight line following the road until we came to a wall.

"What's with the mile-long wall?" I asked Dominic.

"That is the wall that separates the rich district from the middle and poor class districts." I frowned at the wall. Yep. Stereotypical stuck-up rich people.

"How do we get through it?"

"There are four gates that you can pass through on this side of Canterlot. We are near one now, but it will not be open for another several hours. Most of the wealthy in this this district sleep late."

"Are any of them open?"

"The earliest-open gate is on the other side of the city." I sighed.

"Well you know, Dominic," The younger stallion said, looking up the wall thoughtfully. "I bet we could fly him over the wall, it isn't very high." Dominic shot him a look that told him to shut up. "Dominic, I doubt it very highly that anyone in this district will be around that recognizes you. Stop being a stick-in-the-mud. If it makes you feel any better, the sooner he gets what he needs, the sooner you can be rid of him." Dominic grumbled under his breath for a minute, but nodded and stepped towards me.

"Um, not to be faithless or anything, but how are you guys going to hold me? I mean, you have hooves."

"Trust me, it won't be a problem. Just don't squirm or we might drop you."

The two guards stood on their hind legs and put their forelegs on my arms and beat their wings hard and fast. To my amazement I lifted off the ground as if I had jumped and together we sailed up over the one side of the wall and down the other. When we touched down they danced back a few steps and then returned to being on all fours.

"You're heavy, did you know that?"

"Well I am rather large compared to you."

"Can we get on with this?" Grumpy-nic asked, and I nodded and checked the map. I had to alter our path due to the shortcut but it was easily compensated for and we made it.

The buildings here were obviously different from the rich district houses. Where marble and stone had stood in abundance, only a few houses had it, and the marble was of more colors than boring white with black veins. Some were green, some were blue, and some were plain stone that had been painted. The majority of the houses were built from wood, but had been built with skill to hold up to whatever nature could throw at it short of a hurricane. Some needed shingles or windows replaced or their grass cut, but otherwise looked fine.

But one house stood out amongst these others. Not for looking fancy or for being rundown, but rather that where there should have been a small patch of grass there were black rocks and the windows at the front of the house were barred. It also had a door of iron. Wow. Fortress much?

"Charming place." The younger stallion said with a little sarcasm in his voice. "Well, this is your show, Jacob. Why don't you knock?" Seeing no reason not to I crunched over the rocks outside the door and knocked on the door. My knuckles barely made a sound, so I pounded on the door next. The door 'bonged' a few times, and then there was silence. I saw motion behind one of the windows for a moment, and then I heard a scrape of metal-on-metal. A small spot in the door opened and a pair of red eyes stared out at me. They weren't angry, but I still found them a little unnerving.

"What do you want, Human?" I was taken aback. Someone besides the royalty actually knew what I was!

"I- I'm looking for Melinda Jones."

"Well you found her. Again, what do you want?"

"I need pure silver, and an expert in smelting and pouring it."

"What for?"

"A personal project."

"Two-leg, if I don't know what you need me to do, then I can't very well tell you if I can help you, now can I?"

"I need liquid silver poured into the spiral groove of two Unicorn's horns." Her eyes narrowed. "Can you do that?"

"Making a wand, are we? How did you come by your horns?" I was stunned.

"How did you know-"

"Answer the question, Human!" she said fiercely.

"One was given to me. The second I haven't gotten yet, and I have no idea where I'm going to get it." Her gaze shifted to the guards behind me, studying each one for a few seconds before switching back to me again.

"Two hundred bits." Dominic spluttered.

"Two hundred?!" he object incredulously. "That's insane! He's only asking you to pour a little silver!" Melinda un-narrowed her eyes.

"Per horn. And the expenses that cover use of the silver." Dominic trotted in front of me, his face outraged.

"You're insane! We could hire six silversmiths for that price!"

"But none of them with my expertise, I'd wager. I have already done this once before." Now it was Dominic's eyes that narrowed.

"When?"

"Don't you know that it's rude to ask a mare her age?"

"Spare me. The last Human to come to our world came over four hundred years ago. No earth pony or Unicorn lives that long without a powerful enchantment cast on them." It was then that realization dawned on me.

"You're her!" Both Dominic and Melinda stopped staring at one another and looked at me. "You're the Alicorn that went into the Echo Dimension to help the Humans fight the Dragons!"

The eyes disappeared from the slot and I heard several locks being unlatched and what sounded like a heavy deadbolt. The iron door then swung outward and an Alicorn with a red and orange mane and tail with a blue body stepped out into the sun light. She wore what looked like a saddle but instead of a seat it had pockets all over it filled with assorted odds and ends.

The guards gasped and knelt before her, but Melinda shook her head in annoyance.

"Get up! I'm not royalty. I'm not even from your world."

"Not from their world? Are you from mine, then?" again she shook her head.

"I'm a Maker's Mercenary that failed her mission. As a result I've been trapped here as a punishment."

"A Maker's Mercenary?" I'd never heard of them before.

"Long unpleasant story that I don't want to talk about. Now, you've all heard my price. Are you going to pay me, or not?"

"Do I have a choice? You're the only pony to have done this before."

"You always have a choice. Well?" I looked at Dominic who was still stunned at the Alicorn standing in front of him. The younger stallion kept wiping at his eyes to make sure he wasn't hallucinating.

"Fine, but you're only getting half the fee until the task is complete."

"Whatever. Where are we doing this?"

"The royal palace." She blinked in surprise. "Why did you think I had royal guards escorting me around?"

"Your making a wand is being allowed by Celestia? I find that hard to believe."

"It's true!" The younger stallion confirmed. "Here, give this to the guards at the bridge and they'll let you through." he pulled a token from what I assumed was a pocket with his teeth and tossed it to Melinda who caught it with her magic. She then placed it in one of her clothing-pockets.

"So when am I helping you do this?"

"Come by tomorrow afternoon around four. I still have a few other things I need to collect first." Melinda nodded and with Dominic's help I counted out the first two hundred bits and gave them to her. Melinda pocketed the money and went back into her house but didn't shut the door.

"I'll bring a pound of silver with me tomorrow. Have the rest of your money ready by then." I nodded and the door swung shut. The sound of various locks being latched and the deadbolt being moved back into place clicked and clanged through the door.

"Well gentlestals, that's one part of the list checked off. Now I need to find another Uni-horn and a supporting spell-caster that is good with magic."

"Why not ask Twilight Sparkle?" the younger stallion asked. "She seems to like you." I shook my head.

"Twilight has things of her own to do and my ancestor's journal warned me that if I mess this up it could kill me but it did not give any specifics as to how. If the wand explodes I don't want her near the blast."

"Explodes?! And you want to make it in the royal palace?! Are you out of your mind?!" Dominic nearly-shouted.

"I said if it explodes. It could be something as simple as me not bandaging my arm properly after I drain a pint of blood out of my body that could kill me."

"Blood? Why would you need blood?"

"My blood. It's needed for the melding process in which I would fuse the two horns together. The blood is supposed to create the illusion that they have been reattached to a living creature and then the magic-user I would have helping me is supposed to use healing magic to give 'life' to the horns and they try to heal themselves and stop the 'bleeding.' Because the only thing they are touching is one another they bind together into one horn, and because they are lying in my blood when they fuse they become attuned to me. Another Human could probably use it, but it wouldn't work as well for them."

"That sounds akin to using Necromancy." Dominic said suspiciously.

"I suppose, in a way it is."

"Necromancy is illegal."

"The princess gave me permission to conduct this experiment, Dominic. If you don't like it, then take it up with her." I suppose I sounded a little arrogant saying it like that, but I was getting tired of Dominic's attitude.

"Oh believe me, I will."

"Goodie. Now that that's out of the way, I still need to find an assistant. That magic show the jewelry vendor spoke about sounds like as good a place as any to look."

After asking several locals for directions and getting varied results we eventually found it around two-thirty. I was sorely disappointed in what I saw, though. When they said 'magic show' that was exactly what they meant. Most of the 'tricks' the Unicorns performed were sleight of hand or tricks with chemistry that changed something's color. But there were two that came on stage that I took an interest in. One was a brown colt that had a mark on his flank that looked like a silk top hat with a rabbit sticking out of it, and the other a blue filly with a light blue moon and white star on her flank. The colt wore nothing, but was very good at making objects appear out of nowhere and then changing them into other objects. The blue filly wore a blue wizard's hat and a blue cape with stars and moons all over it. She was very good with telekinetic power and frequently used fireworks.

Curious, I maneuvered through the crowd of ponies and eventually walking in an open path when the crowd realized there was a giant standing among them.

"Hello, everybody." I said. No one replied and I suddenly felt awkward.

"What?! Who dare to ignore that performance of the Great and Powerful Trixie?!" The blue filly complained from the stage. The brown was already staring at me open-mouthed.

"Hello, contestants." I said in greeting with a smile. "I was wondering, are either of you any good at healing magics?"

"The Great and Powerful Trixie is good at all things magical!" is she talking about herself in third-person? I suddenly felt mildly annoyed. I once had a friend in middle school that referred to herself in third person all the time. At the time I thought it was funny, but even after we started going to high school she continued doing it and it became annoying.

"Really?"

"Indeed!" She sat like a dog and smiled, full of pride. I decided to have a little fun with her.

"Any chance you could tell me where to find her?" Her competitor snickered and her smiled dropped from her face and she gave me a look that said she'd met other people who'd asked that question and that she saw where it was going.

"The Great and Powerful Trixie does not find your attempt at humor amusing!"

"Well then, the next time you see her do tell her for me that when we meet that I shall do my best to find something thatdoes amuse her." One of Trixie's eyebrows twitched a few times.

"The Great and Powerful-"

"Trixie, if you keep talking to him in third-person he's just going to keep poking fun at you." Her opponent said correctly. Glared at me with one eyebrow raised, face asking if I really intended to do that. I smirked and nodded. She growled and, standing on her hind legs hopped down from the stage and marched up to me. Perhaps she had been hoping to intimidate me with her increased height, but all it succeeded in doing was making her head almost reach my shoulder.

"Hey there, Short and Powerful Trixie!" I greeted again in cheerful tone. "How are you today?" I stuck out a hand and she slapped it aside.

"Who are you to mock the Great and Powerful Trixie?!"

"I am a traveler and inventor in search of a magic-user that is talented in healing. I require one for one of my experiments. Tell me, can you reattach a severed limb?" For half a second Trixie looked queasy, but then it was replaced by bold confidence.

"As Trixie said before, the Great and Powerful Trixie is good at all things magical!"

"Being good at all things magical means that you're a master of none." I said, my tone and face becoming serious. I had no doubt that she was at least decent at what she did, but decent would not be enough for what I was going to attempt. "Can you reattach a limb, or can't you?"

"You doubt the Great-" Alright, enough.

"Yes. Or. No!" I interrupted loudly. "Leave out your boasting," Trixie made a face at 'boasting'. "and answer my question! If you can't do it, then I need to find somepony else who can." Rather than answer my question, she tried to deflect it.

"You're very rude, did you know that? First you make fun of Trixie, and now you're yelling at Trixie. Before I answer any questions, the Great and Powerful Trixie demands an apology!"

"Alright then. I admit it. It was rude. But you know something, sweetheart? You are one irritating filly, and I suspect, mostly a fraud." The muttering crowd of ponies around us suddenly grew quiet.

"A fraud?! How dare you?!" Now she was yelling.

"No true Great and Powerful anything flaunts their talents for attention, and most of what I've seen you do are parlor tricks and shooting off fireworks. Sure, you're good at moving things with your mind and putting on a show, but any Unicorn with a bit of imagination can do that! If you truly are 'Great and powerful' as you say, prove it! Do something that no other pony can do!"

"Like shape-shift into a creature of myth like you have? Fine!" Uh oh...
"Um, Trixie? I don't think-"

Ignoring me, Trixe gritted her teeth and closed her eyes. Her horn began to glow like a star. Veins on her face began to show and magical energy swirled around her. And then she began to change.

First her body hair appeared to shave away from her skin like fire blackens paper until she had no hair at all save on her mane and tail. He skin, like her hair was a shade of blue, but lighter. If I had to compare her to something, I'd say her skin was the same color as a robin's egg. Her hooves on her forelegs split into five parts and became soft and rounded and spaced until they became fingers and hands. Her back legs straightened and her hooves flattened and elongated and at the ends also developed five splits that became toes. Her belly narrowed and slimmed, her hair became finer than violin threads, but still remained the same color it had been before. Her neck shrank downward and her head changed while it did so. Now only a few inches above her shoulders her head very nearly resembled a Human's. Her eyes moved closer together and shrank. Her nose shrank as well and became triangular. Her teeth became thinner and sharper and her tongue also became shorter. Her ears had already migrated down the side of her head and became rounded. She also became shorter than she had been before. Now her head only reached up to my chest, and just barely. Lastly, the horn melted into her head and disappeared. Also, aside from her still having a tail she had correct Human female anatomy. I felt heat in my face while I stared at the cute almost-naked Human female in front of me. Contrary to the popular belief, not everyone over the age of twelve knew what a naked girl looked like. Unfortunately, what this looked like was an eight-year old.

"Ha! What say you now-" she began, arms stretched out to display her success. Then she saw my face. "wha?"

I made a noise in my throat almost like a squeak and averted my eyes, and after almost losing her balance she followed my stare to what I had been staring at. She looked down at herself. As with before, the only thing she was wearing was her wizard's hat and her night-sky cape. "Ack! We're different!" I don't think she understands the reason for my reaction. That's probably for the best.

"Yeeaahh...there's a good reason for that." I said, embarrassed. "You see, I'm male, and you aren't. That's how Human females of that age look in comparison to Human males of mine. Well, minus being blue." Trixie wobbled again.

"How in the world do you make standing with this body look so easy?!" I leaned closer to her and whispered in her ear.

"It helps when you were born this way and have had twenty three years of practice." her eyes widened and she opened her mouth to respond. I quickly covered it. Raising my voice more than necessary, I spoke again. "Well, miss Trixie, you've certainly impressed me with your transformation skills, but you still haven't answered my question: "Can you reattach a severed limb?" Trixie looked around at the crowd that now stared at her. Some with adoration, others with curiosity. In their eyes she had just proven that she did indeed live up to her self-given title. This time it was her who leaned close (and nearly fell on me) to me.

"No I can't. In fact for some reason I can't feel my magic at all now." My eyes flicked up to her forehead and I realized why. I lowered my voice again.

"When you transformed you also took away your horn. Without it, you Unicorns can't use magic." Trixie's face became horrified. She had just ruined her own life without meaning to. Her eyes started to tear. She looked miserable. "It's probably reverseable though. We just need to find another magic-user who is good at undoing spells. I think I know just the pony to ask, but let's get you some clothes first. It's not particularly cold out right now, but it will be once the sun goes down." I turned to the crowd and smiled. "Fillies and gentlecolts, the Great and Powerful Trixie!" I took one of her hands and raised it up into the air. The crowd cheered for her and she put on a weak smile.

"Well, that could have gone better!" Dominic said, watching Trixie constantly waving her arms about to keep her balance while we walked. I had given her my cape as well so that she wouldn't be cold (and I wouldn't feel as weird). "So what are you planning to do now?"

"I guess I'll have to take her back to the palace with me until I can find someone whose talent is in spell-reversal."

"And if it can't be reversed?" Trixie was watching me out of the corner of her eye. "And why are you taking responsibility for her bad choice?"

"I don't know. I guess I feel sorry for her. As to the possibility of it not being fixable...we'll cross that bridge if we come to it."

"What bridge?"

"Sorry, that was a figure of speech. It means 'we'll worry about it if it becomes an issue'."

The younger stallion (who's name I still didn't know) kept circling Trixie and poking at the two capes (mostly) covering her.

"Stop it!" Trixie demanded. "It's hard enough to walk like this without you distracting me!" I told him to leave her be. He gave me a look of annoyance but did so.

"Hey, not that I'm complaining, I find it rather nice actually, but why aren't you speaking in third-person anymore, miss Trixie?"

"I only speak like that when I'm performing." Trixie tripped over my cape and fell on her front. "Drat this form! I walked over to her and helped her to her feet, then decided it would be best if I just carried her instead.

"I would say: 'You get used to it', but hopefully we'll be able to return you to your original form and you won't have to."

"Hopefully?"

"Yes. Hopefully. I don't like being called a liar, so I'm not going to promise something that I'm not sure I can keep."

I continued carrying Trixie until we came into the palace, at which point I set her down and asked her not to go anywhere.

"I'm going to get you a long shirt from my things. It won't be as good as an actual outfit, but it should keep you from freezing your tail off later tonight." Fortunately she did as I asked and I can back with a black shirt with the image of a sky-diver diving out of a plane on the front of it. The sleeves were way too long for her arms, so I folded them back several times until it did. The bottom of the shirt reached only a few inches lower than her waistline, which was still an awkward problem. Finally I decided to ask Twilight for help. I didn't want to bother her, but what little magic I'd performed was done on instinct and will. I knew no actual spells, and had not even an inkling as to how to make objects appear out of nothing. Plus it was either bother her, or bother one of the princesses, and it struck me that this wasn't really worth either of their time. Once again I picked Trixie up and carried her along with me, stopping once in awhile to ask a servant if they had seen Twilight anywhere. Always first they stared at me, then at Trixie, but then they'd answer when I asked them again. Sometimes I received conflicting information, but after twenty five minutes we finally managed to track her down in her quarters.

"Twilight Sparkle?! That's who you had in mind to help me?!" Trixie asked, disbelief on her face. Her tone suggested that they'd encountered one another before and that it had not ended well.

"What happened between you two?" I asked.

"Nothing that I wish to discuss." Was all she would say.

When we arrived I knocked on the door and Twilight asked who was there. I answered and she told me to come on in, so I did, but I asked Trixie to wait outside for a moment.

Twilight was lying on a long cushion on the floor when I came in. She asked how my search had gone and I responded that it had not gone as well as I had hoped but still some of what I needed. She then asked what I still was missing. I answered that I still needed a second horn, and a magic-user good with healing magic.

"Well why didn't you ask me? I'd be happy to help you, you know." She sounded like I hurt her feelings for not having gone to her first. Perhaps I did.

"Well, I knew that you also had studies that you were undergoing while you were here. I didn't want to distract you."

"Silly fill- ...hard-headed Human!" she said, tone teasing. "This is more important than that. In the future, don't hesitate to ask me for help." Alright, this is as good a time as any...here goes...

I'm glad you feel that way, Twilight. Um, speaking of which I sorta have a bit of a problem right now."

"Really? What's wrong?"

"Well, when I was out earlier looking for things I ran across a magic show mixed with a contest in the middle-class district. I thought that it was as good a place as any to start looking for a capable Unicorn, and I had a disagreement with one of the contestants. I made fun of her a little bit, and then to prove to me and her spectators that she was in fact a powerful magic-user she shape-shifted into a female form very similar to those of my species. Unfortunately when she did so she also shifted away her horn and now he's trapped in semi-Human form." Twilight stared, blinking occasionally. "I was kinda hoping that you might know a way to change her back?"

"She shape-shifted into a Human."

"Nearly. There were a few things wrong with it, but she came very close. She looks adorable. By my standards, anyway."

"Where is she?"

"Outside your door. I gave her one of my shirts to wear for the moment because the cape and wizard's hat she had weren't doing the job of keeping her covered."

"Out of curiosity, why do you wear so much clothing all the time? Do you really get cold so easily?"

"No, it's just considered to be the norm. Typically, if a Human is unclothed they are either bathing, changing into another set of clothing, perhaps going to sleep in their bed, or are preparing to...mate with another Human."

"Ah, I see. To her problem, I don't know if I can change her back. I've never tried something like that before. I would say to ask princess Celestia, but I don't know how she'd react. Have you tried using your horn to change her back?"

"No I haven't. I was afraid I'd screw up and make it worse."

"Well, bring her in. I'll examined her at the least, but I don't know if I'll really be of any help or not." I nodded and thanked her for her help.

"Don't thank me yet. I haven't tried yet." I opened the door again and bid Trixie to enter. She did so with a grumpy expression on her face.

"So we meet again, Twilight Sparkle!" Twilight gave her a puzzled look.

"Do I know you?"

"If I had my old body you wouldn't wonder!" She glared at me.

"Hey, Trixie, I tried to warn you not to do that, but you-" Twilight's jaw dropped and she looked Trixie up and down multiple times.

"Trixie?! As in the Trixie that came to Ponyville a few months ago?!" Trixie stopped glaring at me and turned to Twilight again and looked embarrassed. "I'll take that as a yes. I see you haven't learned your lesson."

"Not true!" Trixie objected. "I've improved my techniques and learned a few new spells! I'd show you them but I don't seem to be able to use magic while I'm in this form!" Twilight looked up at me. I shrugged and made a motion with a hand towards Trixie.

"Well, in any case, let's see what I can do." Twilight rose from her cushion and stepped forward until she and Trixie were only a few inches apart. Twilight's horn began to glow faintly, though other than it glowing nothing else seemed to be happening. I watched and waited, as did a growing-impatient Trixie. After six minutes of nothing happening Twilight frowned and stepped back. "I'm not sure what you did to yourself, Trixie, but my body-scan spell is telling me that you're perfectly healthy and nothing is wrong." She looked at me. "The only ways that could be are that she either cast two spells and one of them block magical scans, or she used a perfect Poly-morph spell. The latter is a rare occurrence in pony history." Trixie beamed with pride. "Unfortunately, Poly-morph spells can only be undone by the pony that originally cast them." Trixie's proud expression suddenly vanished as she realized what that meant: Trixie had cast the spell, meaning the only pony that could undo it was Trixie herself. This meant that, with her horn gone, she could not use magic anymore, which meant she was trapped in two-leg form. Permanently. Trixie stopped breathing and stared straight ahead, unfocused on anything in particular that I could see. She seemed to be in shock. "I'm sorry, Trixie." Twilight said, looking at her with pity. "I really am." Trixie's knees buckled and she let herself fall to her hands and knees on the floor.

"I'll never be a pony again...I'll never use magic again..." a few drops of water fell from her face to the floor. She's crying! I realized. This must be some of what Rainbow Dash felt when it came to flying. Magic was Trixie's reason for living, and now it's gone. Looking at Trixie, more wet spots forming on the floor I felt the deepest pity towards her. I wished that there was something I could say, but what could I say? I put my hands on my face and rubbed, as I'd seen my father do when he felt stressed about something. What would you do in my place, father? He'd probably use his imagination a little, and then work at the first idea that came to him no matter how crazy it- That's it!

"Hey Twilight, keep an eye on her for me a moment, would you? I've got an idea!"

"What?"

"She can't use magic because he horn is missing. What if she had another? Do you think she could use it to change back?" Trixie turned her head and looked at us, tears running down her face.

"What are you two talking about?" she asked in a voice that frequently cracked.

"Maybe! Hey Trixie, touch my horn and try to use magic!" Trixie gave her a confused look.

"Touch your horn? How would that-" I interrupted her and explained.

"I can use magic when I touch a Unicorn or Alicorn's horn, Trixie. Maybe you've made yourself into something just close enough to my kind that you could do that too!" Hope dawned in Trixie's eyes and she eagerly grabbed Twilight's horn without a second's hesitation.

"Hey! Not so hard! Twilight objected, agitated. Trixie made a face like she was concentrating, but nothing happened. She gritted her teeth and screwed up her face more. Still no results. Finally Trixie let go.

"I could sense the magic again, but I couldn't touch it! It was like it was mocking me." She said while looking at me. "I guess I'm just not close enough to being your kind." She began to sob again.

I looked at Twilight with my eyes.

"Is there really no other way for her to change back?"

"Not to my knowledge, but I'm still learning. The only person who might know more would be Celestia." I nodded. Then that is who I'll ask. But what to do with Trixie in the meantime? A wind blew in through a window and ruffled the shirt on Trixie. Clothes. Definitely clothes.

With Twilight's help we made a make-shift dress for Trixie that would reach a little past her knees for modesty's sake and still be practical for walking. We also made her a pair Why is it called a pair when there's only one item??? of underwear and a few ties for Trixie's long hair so that she could keep it out of her face if a breeze should occur again. The dress was purple like her cape (the cape which was now way too long for her, as was the hat.) As for her tail, Trixie would not let us so much as touch it.

Later Trixie and I went before Celestia and explained what had happened to Trixie. I also gave her the pouch of coins back. Celestia looked at Trixie with pity but said that there was nothing that she could do either.

"While there is a way to reverse it, I do not have the skill for it."

"But you know how to, right?" Trixie asked, sounding desperate. Celestia nodded.

"From a book only, though. I have never attempted the spell myself, and I would be hesitant to try it on a living being without having had previous experience."

"Would you happen to know anypony that has previous experience with it?"

"Perhaps. In the old times poly-morphing others or one's self was common for defense against dangers." She looked me in the eye while she said this and I got the feeling I knew whom she was talking about.

"Thanatos. He would know." Her face changed a little and confirmed my suspicion. Maybe Melinda would as well. Maybe. I'll have to ask her tomorrow.

"Now Jacob, my guards have given me a report of your activities today, but I want to hear it from you as well." I nodded and related all of the day's occurrences to Celestia, including the discovery of the previously-unknown Alicorn from her memory. She listened first to everything I said, and then asked what I intended to do now since I had not found a second magic-user for the horn-fusion and lacked the second horn. I replied that Twilight Sparkle had volunteered to help with the fusion, but I had small idea of where I would be getting the second horn.

"I suppose that I could rob a grave, but I don't like the idea of stealing from the dead."

"And where then would you prefer to get it from? I doubt that any living Unicorn will simply give you their horn, and judging by the expression of disgust on your face you would not take it from the living either even if they offered." While she said the last sentence I recalled the image of my ancestor from the journal holding the bloodied Unicorn horn and tried to block it out a second later. No, definitely not. "The current horn you have was given to you, but do not expect that to simply happen again. The chances of you finding one just lying around are slim to none." When she finished none of us said anything for a moment bit. Where was I supposed to find a second horn? I highly doubted that I could just walk into a store and buy one (though the conjured mental image of a shopkeeper-pony talking to me like a car salesman was a little funny). My thoughts were interrupted when Celestia continued. "Speaking of which, Luna has told me that while you wield a Unicorn's horn you have much better control over her power. Step forward and show me."

"Are you sure? Your windows only recently got replaced, your highness." I said, giving the windows a regretful glance.

"Yes, I am sure." she said with a small smile. "Come." I stepped forward and approached until I was in front of Celestia again. "This time when you use my power, I want you to pull the curtains across the windows. A fairly simple task compared to levitating a pair of apples through Luna's maze, don't you think?" I agreed.

"There's just one problem, princess Celestia."

"Yes?"

"I left my horn in my chambers before I went down into the city. I didn't want to take the risk of dropping it where everyone could see and starting a panic."

"Probably a wise decision." Celestia pulled a bell cord with her magic and a servant entered the room. She told him what she wanted and then looked to Trixie. "Until we can find somepony to change you back, you will remain in the care of Jacob." Both myself and Trixie were about to protest, but Celestia continued before either of us could voice an objection. "As he is the only Human in all of Equestria he is best suited for caring for you." She looked at me. "I shall have a second bed sent to your chambers later. In the meantime, miss Trixie," she said, looking back at Trixie. "follow the servant." Trixie did not look particularly happy about it, but did as she was told.

__ __ __ __ __

Trixie looked around the room she had been placed in with the Human named Jacob. It was very richly filled with furniture and had soft carpets. The bed was round and big enough for two adult ponies and potentially two foals if they arranged themselves correctly. Heh! I wonder if I can guilt-trip him into letting me use that bed!

The servant that had led her to the room trotted over to a bag on the floor next to a writing desk and dug around in it for a few seconds before pulling a white stick out of it- Wait a minute! That's not a stick! So that's what Celestia was talking about! She meant a literal Unicorn's horn! But why is it that he can touch one and use magic and I can't? She looked at her hybrid body. Am I really so different from him? The servant started to leave and asked Trixie if she would be returning. Trixie shook her head and the servant bowed and left.

Wobbling unsteadily Trixie explored the rest of the room and then finally, she went through Jacob's things. Most of them were bits of clothing that she set to one side of bag the in a pile. She also found a small (by pony standards) toothbrush, some soap, a liquid in a bottle that smelled good (the little bottle read 'shampoo') a smooth green bar that smelled like pine trees and tasted just as bad (what she tasted was deodorant) some toothpaste, and a large towel. This is probably for drying off after a bath. Thinking of which, I think we both could use one. I wonder if he'd mind if I used his soap?

Finally, at the bottom of the bag, she found an old blue book with no title, and no description. Curious, she held it in her fingers and stood so she could carry it to the window for better lighting. She practically dropped the book on the sill and opened the cover. The first page contained nothing, it was just blank. The second page contained a language that she had never seen before. So did the next eighty or so pages that she flipped through with increasing annoyance. Then, towards the last fourth of the book she found words that she could read. Words that had been written by Jacob. Curious as to the Human's background she eagerly read through his writings, becoming more and more amazed the further she went. When she reached the second page, however, her curiosity was mixed with confusion. Most of the last page that he'd written alternated from his handwriting to someone else's, and was all in capital letters. This reads like a conversation between two enemies... Then she came to instructions for the Uni-horn wand and she realized that it was a conversation.

Trixie searched the room for something to write with, and found a feather pen and ink well. She uncapped the well, dipped the pen, and flipped through seven blank pages in hopes of concealing her attempts to speak to whomever was on the other side of the book from Jacob should he ever look in the book again.

Hello? Is anyone there?

At first there was no response and Trixie began to feel foolish. But then several words, looking like ink soaking through from a page underneath appeared.

TO WHOM AM I SPEAKING? YOU ARE NOT MY DESCENDANT.

Trixie felt a thrill run through her and asked how whoever this was knew that.

BECAUSE I CAN SEE YOU THROUGH THE BOOK. YOU LOOK SIMILAR TO A HUMAN, BUT NOT THE SAME. HAS MY DESCENT SCREWED UP A SPELL AND TURNED ONE OF THE PONIES INTO WHAT YOU ARE?

No, I did this to myself by accident. I was trying to show him that I was a powerful spell-caster, but I neglected to remember that I need my horn to use magic, and now I'm stuck like this unless Jacob can find somepony named 'Thanatos'.

THANATOS? I KNOW OF THIS PONY. HE IS THE ONE THAT UNJUSTLY IMPRISONED ME.

Imprisoned you? What did he think you did?

WHEN I CAME TO YOUR WORLD MANY, MANY YEARS AGO I FOUND ANOTHER OF MY KIND SLAUGHTERING UNICORNS FOR THEIR HORNS. I STEPPED IN AND TRIED TO STOP HIM, BUT WHEN OTHERS OF YOUR KIND BEGAN ARRIVING ON SCENE HE FLED AND I WAS BLAMED. THANATOS IMPRISONED ME IN A STATUE IN A HEDGE MAZE AS PUNISHMENT.

Trixie paused from writing and dipped the quill again.

There is a hedge maze outside the royal palace in Canterlot.

THAT MAY BE WHERE I WAS PLACED. NOT THAT THIS KNOWLEDGE WOULD DO EITHER OF US ANY GOOD AS I'M TRAPPED IN STONE, AND EVEN IF YOU WERE TO FIND ME THANATOS TOLD ME THAT ONLY AN ALICORN'S HORN TOUCHED TO MY HEAD COULD FREE ME AGAIN.

Trixie tapped the feather end of the pen against the stone sill. Then an idea occurred to her.

Are you any good at reversing poly-morph spells?

WHY DO YOU ASK? DO YOU WANT TO BE CHANGED BACK INTO A PONY?

Yes. Walking around on two legs is bothersome, and I want to have my magic back.

I SHOULD BE ABLE TO. IT HAS BEEN MANY A CENTURY SINCE I HAVE USED MAGIC SO I MAY HAVE FORGOTTEN, BUT FOR ME TO EVEN BE ABLE TO TRY I WOULD NEED A HORN OF MY OWN TO USE.

I might be able to arrange that, but if I do I want you to promise that you will change me back.

I HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BY MAKING THAT PROMISE, AND EVERYTHING TO GAIN. I SWEAR ON MY BLOOD THAT I WILL RETURN YOU TO YOUR TRUE FORM IF YOU RETURN ME TO MINE.

Alright, then. If I can get my hands on an Alicorn's horn and a Unicorn's as well, I will come to the hedge maze and find and release you.

OH THANK YOU! I SHALL BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL TO YOU FOR THIS!

Trixie smiled at the book and then closed it. A Unicorn's horn shouldn't be too hard. All I need to do is rob a grave and not get caught. Getting an Alicorn's horn is going to be almost impossible, though, unless I can break into the royal crypt, which will probably be impossible. Even with these obstacles Trixie felt a thrill of hope run through her. I can become normal again!!!

__ __ __ __ __

In the hedge maze, Jacob's ancestor was laughing.