• Published 24th Jul 2014
  • 685 Views, 7 Comments

A Tale of Deceit - ChainGunDragon



Disappointed with his natural talents, a changeling is sent to Ponyville to gather food for his people. What he finds in the colorful town could be a breakthrough for his kind, or put them all in peril.

  • ...
11
 7
 685

And the world kept spinning

“I need a new disguise.” The first words I could think of the moment my eyes opened in the morning. I made such a fool out of myself the day before. I couldn't possibly face those ponies again. That is unless I had a different face. I shifted into a new creation, a yellow pegasus stallion with a red and yellow mane. With wings this time, it should be easier to pick those apples, but I can only imagine they keep tighter security on them during the day. “I need a job.”

Standing on the outskirts of the town, I was even more nervous than last time. I normally hate disguising myself as a stallion since people are much more likely to go easier on a mare, but I couldn't run the risk of being associated with my last disguise. I figured the bright and playful colors might actually fit in better here considering the types I've seen so far. I started bouncing my way into the city. Of the three ponies I've come across so far, one was bouncing, one was standing still, and the other I didn't even see. So far I haven’t seen anyone walk. When in Rome.

“Are you alright?” I heard a mare’s voice from the right as I immediately stopped bouncing, hoping she wasn't talking to me. When I turned to look around, sure enough, there wasn't a single other pony in sight and the purple pony was staring right at me.

“Yes. I’m fine, thank you. Why do you ask?” She started walking closer to me as I started to feel more and more uncomfortable. I’m usually not good with talking to other mares. If they think I’m just another mare like them, they treat me like one of their own, but as a stallion, this was terrifying.

“It’s just that you were jumping around everywhere.”

“That isn't normal?” That question earned me a puzzled look as the unicorn continued staring at me. Messed up again and it hasn't even been five minutes. I think that’s a new record.

“No. Why would you think that’s normal?”

“Well… it’s just, I saw the pink one doing it.”

“Oh. That would be Pinkie Pie. She’s… different.” There was something unnerving about the pause she gave before saying the word.

“Different?”

“No one really knows why Pinkie does what she does. It’s often easier just to not question it. You must be new here. What’s your name?”

“Ember Sand.” Really? That was the best I could come up with? That’s not even a name, that’s literally just the first two words that came to my head. I suppose Pinkie Pie doesn't make much sense either, but like she said, the pink one is different.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, my name is Twilight Sparkle.” Never mind, I guess they all have weird names here. Maybe I’ll call my next disguise Table Leg. “Also you don’t seem to be using your wings much either.”

“I prefer to walk.”

“It’s just that the only other pegasus I know who doesn't like flying is Fluttershy. You two might get along.” No thanks, the last thing I need right now is another friend.

“Actually, I accidentally forgot my money back in my old home at Cloudsdale and I’m a bit too tired to make the trip back their tonight. I don’t suppose you know somewhere I can get a job and earn my keep?”

“Well I don’t know too much about work. Princess Celestia covers most of my fees so that I can continue my studies.” A unicorn with ties to a princess. Perfect. I’m sure this will work out just fine. I wonder if they have a cliff I can throw myself off of too. “But you might want to speak to AppleJack. She’s the hardest working pony I know, she might have some spare jobs for you.”

“And where can I find AppleJack?”

“Her family owns sweet apple acres. It’s actually just over that way, not far from where you came from.” As she pointed to the orchard I knew all too well, I realized I may have already stolen from AppleJack. “But if you want to get something to eat right now, I can lend you a hoof.” The mare’s horn started to glow as a small bag of coins floated towards me. “That’s 25 bits. That should be enough to cover you for about one day.”

“Really? Do I have to pay you back?”

“Of course not. Just focus on getting a job so I don’t have to keep buying you meals.” The mare smiled at me and I realized there was something different about these ponies. The kindness, the generosity, everything down to the bright colors of their manes, you just couldn’t find a place like this in any changeling hive. “I’ll see you around,” she said as she walked away, still smiling as if she had just made the world a better place, and for the changelings, she had.

I walked back into sugar cube corner, determined not to leave empty-hoofed a second time as the blue mare greeted me again.

“Good Morning. What can I get you?”

“Could I please get a strawberry cake?” The compassion that the unicorn showed me earlier was enough to last me a few hours at least, but I could still think of some other changelings who might need some food. When she came back with the cake, smelling just as delicious as before, I dropped the small coin bag on the counter, smiling. As I started to lift the box onto my back, trying to keep it steady with my wings, the mare counted up the coins in the bag.

“The cake only costs 20 bits, dear. You gave me 25.”

“Keep the change,” I said happily as I turned to walk out of the store. From what I can tell, being generous is what makes the world go round around here. Kindness is just as much a currency as bits.

Author's Note:

Chapters might come out a bit more slowly as I'm focusing a bit more on my youtube channel instead, but I am still writing... gradually

Comments ( 1 )

Nice to see a spin-off of Dolus. I always wondered how he went by his missions that were left bacially unsaid in your other story. Looking forward to more (:

Login or register to comment