• Published 24th Jul 2014
  • 680 Views, 7 Comments

A Tale of Deceit - ChainGunDragon



Disappointed with his natural talents, a changeling is sent to Ponyville to gather food for his people. What he finds in the colorful town could be a breakthrough for his kind, or put them all in peril.

  • ...
11
 7
 680

Dolus

All names have a meaning, some connotation or purpose to define who they are. Sometimes I wonder if mine is a good thing or if it’s a curse that I have to live with.

“Dolus, front and center.” Nearly every time I hear it, I think about what it must be like to be normal, to be someone else who was born just a little different, although I suppose wanting to be someone else is what makes me, me. Dolus, an old word for deceit, lying, tricking people into thinking you’re something you’re not. For some, lying is a pleasure, others a necessity. For me, lying is just how I survive.

“Yes, sir?” I walked over to the general. Albeit slightly nervous of what he might ask, I had a job to do. We all did.

“Some of the guards want to take part in the invasion of Canterlot to support their queen. We need them here, escorting civilians to their new homes. Think you can talk them down?”

“I’ll try, sir.” It didn't help my chances much that I was conscripted into the changeling army for my natural talent, as some would call it. They’re not usually big on conscription but they had to make an exception for my case. They call me a professional prevaricator, but that’s just a fancy way of saying liar.

I found the guard that General HoneyRock was talking about, geared up in his armor and ready to go, pacing back and forth. I could tell he was anxious about being kept here. Part of what I do is reading people’s body language. “Sergeant,” I called as he turned his head to face me, looking me up and down, almost instantly forming his opinion. I may belong to a race of shapeshifters but I still can’t help the fact that my body is smaller than most. I was often teased when I was younger for baring more resemblance to a mare rather than any proper stallion. Not that I let it bother me, but it still didn't get me any respect.

“The kiddy pool’s that way,” He said, pointing his hoof back the way I came.

“That’s not the proper way to address a superior, sergeant.” I could see him barely contain a laugh as he eased up a bit. For the moment all anxiety seemed to wash away until he caught sight of my face again and realized I was serious.

“Superior? Says who?”

“Says me, Colonel Brigand.” I pulled out a fake colonel’s badge and showed it to him as I watched him nearly fall over, regretting his previous choice of words. Brigand was the first thing I came up with but that didn't make it any less believable. Names never make sense, why should a fake name?

“What’s your license number?” For a split second I felt something close to surprise at the question. Most guards blindly follow the chain of command so it’s uncommon for one to ask for proof.

“04729B.” I was bluffing. Nearly everything I say nowadays is a string of the first words that come to my head. Sometimes they don’t even make it that far before I say them aloud. It didn't matter though, the guard was bluffing as well, he had no way of checking the phony number. He couldn't even tell me if it was the right number of digits.

“Sergeant Herring.” The guard swallowed his pride and bowed before me. “I meant no disrespect Colonel, I just thought that-”

“At ease, sergeant. I’m not here for you to kiss my boot.” Herring nodded and stood up straight, presenting himself as a guard yet still trying to figure out if he saw me as a worthy leader to follow. After all, he disobeyed HoneyRock, why should he listen to me? “I've been informed that you have been questioning your orders?”

“I was recruited for my abilities to serve the queen in any way I can. It doesn't feel right to let her lead an attack on her own while I’m stuck on escort duty.”

“She’s not on her own. Queen Chrysalis has at least 50 changelings at her side ready to strike once she has weakened their defenses. These are changelings who would serve her with their lives. Not that I am questioning your devotion to the queen, but you’re no good to us eating hospital food. Do you understand sergeant?”

“Hospital food?”

“This is above your pay grade sergeant, but most of those changelings aren't expected back any time soon.” The guard nodded as he understood. He even saluted me briefly before responding.

“Yes sir. I understand sir.”

“And one more thing sergeant, if you tell anyone what I just told you, I will deny everything and have you expunged. Do I make myself clear?” The guard smirked at me, assuming I was joking, only to gulp a few seconds later when he realized I wasn’t. He nodded with solemn understanding at the bluff. All it comes down to in the end is who has the better poker face. “As you were.” As I turned around to leave the room, all I could hear from behind me was a relieved sigh that I was finally leaving. Whether he saw me as a worthy leader or not, the guard definitely learnt his place. Sometimes I hate being a colonel.

“Has Sergeant Herring settled down?”

“I wouldn't exactly say settled, but he won’t be causing any more trouble.” General HoneyRock gave me a brief smile before jerking his head, motioning for me to follow him. As we both traveled through the changeling camps, I could see many disgruntled and upset families. Most were sitting still and patiently awaiting the guards’ instructions, some were scrambling around looking for food, and none were happy about being forced to leave their homes. The famine only made things worse. Some say we’re leaving because there wasn't enough food, others say we’re hungry because we’re leaving the food behind. I don’t think the two are connected. It seems like I’m the only one around here who believes in bad luck.

“You've been doing some impressive work these past few days Dolus. If it weren't for you, we’d have riots destroying what’s left of what little we have.”

“Just glad I can help sir.” Although I was glad I could prevent at least some damage to the community, General Honeyrock knows better than anyone that I didn't choose to be here. Though, it’s still polite to act like you would have done it anyway.

“I have someone who would like to meet you.”

“Great.” I tried my hardest not to sound sarcastic. As much as I’d like to believe whoever this is could become a new friend, I’m just not that lucky. We walked up behind two guards discussing something quietly while looking over what appeared to be a map. The one on the right was dressed in the traditional black armor of the queen’s guard with seams that glowed red. But the one on the left was wearing something different. Similar in shape yet the armor was crafted out of a different material, lined with golden scales down the back of his neck and on his sides. Maybe he was a new kind of guard? But not even the general had this kind of armor.

“Dolus, meet your new leader, Prince Vano.”

“P-Prince?” I couldn't help stuttering the word. I knew what the word meant but I had never heard of a changeling prince. No one ever talked about an heir to the throne. He turned his head to glance at me before whispering something to the other guard. As He walked away, the gold clad prince turned around fully to look me up and down before greeting me with a warm smile which I somehow found even more unnerving.

“It’s a pleasure to finally meet you, Dolus. I've heard a lot about you.” Many changelings would feel honored to finally meet a member of royalty, but nothing happens without a reason. Whatever Prince Vano wanted with me, it couldn't be good.