• Published 22nd Jul 2014
  • 1,908 Views, 28 Comments

Books and Wings - That1Brony3



Dusk Shine gets hurt in a library accident, and Rainbow Blitz is the only one of his friends who doesn't have anything else he needs to do.

  • ...
16
 28
 1,908

Sick Day

Chapter 2

Sick Day


Blitz stood there, jaw dangling in complete shock, looking at his fallen friend laying on the ground. He saw scarlet blood starting to ooze out of the wound on top of his friend’s head where everything had hit him. All of Dusk that stirred was his chest, moving up and down with his breathing. At least he’s breathing, thank Solaris for that. He thought. Still, I should make sure he doesn’t have any other injuries.

He walked over to his unconscious friend. His natural instinct was to check his head first. Seeing no more than he had earlier he checked the rest of Dusk’s body for any other major injuries, blushing slightly as he did so. He only saw a few scrapes and bruises.

“He’s gonna be ok, right?” he heard a voice squeak from the corner of the room.

He turned to see who the voice came from. It was then he saw Spines huddled in a corner. He had totally forgotten about her in his rush to help Dusk. She must have been in as much of shock as he was, if not more, because she caused it.

“I- I don’t know…” his voice was shakier than he wished it was. He wanted to assure the baby dragon more than he did, but he couldn’t really say he knew for himself. He started getting his friend onto his back as he talked. “I’m gonna bring him to the hospital. They‘ll know what to do there. Can you hold the fort down here while I do that?”

“Sure… I guess” She said sounding unsure of herself.

“Great. I’ll pick you up after I’ve dropped him off.” he turned to leave

“Ok. And Blitz,” she called before he left. he turned his head to face him. “Be careful with him. You wouldn’t want to hurt him more.”

“Of course.”


When Dusk woke up, he noticed he had a splitting headache, and when he tried to open his eyes he struggled because the lights seemed too bright. When he was finally was able to sit himself up to observe his surroundings, he already had legs around his neck. What’s happening? he thought, And where am I?

The second question was easy to answer, seeing all the medical equipment. He was in the hospital, but why? He looked down to see the pony who had their legs around his neck. It wasn’t a pony though, and they weren’t legs. It was a baby dragon hanging onto him, and she was crying.

“I’m sorry, Dusk Shine. It’s all my fault.” she cried into his shoulder.

“What’s your fault?”

“Knocking the books on top of you. I was saying ‘Hi’ to Blitz and wasn’t paying attention to where I was going. I bumped into the bookshelf and everything fell off. I was so scared when you didn’t get up.”

Dusk smiled “It’s ok, Spines. I’m not mad at you.”

“Told ya she wouldn’t be” a voice called from the door of the room.

He looked up to see all of his friend enter the room. “How’d you guys all know to come here?”

“Oh, we’ve known for a while now.” Elusive said “Thursday was it?”

“Wait! What’s today?” Dusk asked, desperately

“Saturday, Silly.” Bubble Berry giggled

“Saturday!?” Dusk almost screamed “Who’s watched the library? What about my studies?” he wanted to ask a thousand more.

“Don’t ya worry about the library.” Applejack said comfortingly “Spines’ got it all under control. As for your studyin’, ya aren’t really in a good condition for that.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Have ya looked at yourself lately? Yer head’s in bandages fer ponysake. You shouldn’t be doin’ nothin’ for a while now.”

“We were so worried about you. You wouldn’t wake up for so long.” Butterscotch shuttered

“You even scared me dude” It was Rainbow Blitz. His cheeks started to heat up. He didn’t know he scared everypony that much.

“Well, I’m sorry for worrying you all so much,” Dusk said sympathetically “but would somepony please fill me in on what l missed over the past few days.”

“Sure thing” Blitz said.


It seemed like they were talking for hours but eventually got bored and started to play games. It was about an hour after that the doctor came in. She giggled as all of them stumbled over their excuses, each trying to get their own out first. “Don’t worry. You don’t have to leave yet. I’m just here to check on Dusk” She said smiling. She turned to the stallion she’d come to see “How are you feeling?”

“I’m feel fine. I had a bit of a headache when I woke up, but that’s gone now.”

“I’d expect you to have a headache, especially after you took such a hit to you head. You’re lucky it’s only a concussion.”

“Well,” he hesitated, and the room got suddenly quiet “I’ll make sure I’m aware of my surrounding next time.”

“And I’ll pay attention to where I’m walking.” Spines put in.

“You’ve learned something from this experience. Good, but you’re still injured now; you shouldn’t move around too much, and we’re gonna come to check on you tomorrow, so you could leave by then. Which brings me to my next topic. You’ll have to have somepony stay with you at all times to make sure you don’t injure your head any more than it already is. I don’t care who it is, but they need to be able to help you out, too. ” she turned to leave.

“Thank you, doctor” Dusk called, “See you in the morning!” the doctor nodded as she closed the door behind her. “You guys heard her. I could be out of here tomorrow, and I need somepony to help me around the house.”

“Oh silly” Bubble Berry giggled “you have Spines, and she already helps you all the time.”

“That’s just it.” Dusk said matter- of-factly “I need somepony to watch over me, not the house. Either way, Spines already works enough.”

Apple jack started “Well, I’m sorry sugarcube, but I can’t. With applebuck season comin’ up, I have more work than when y’all asked me if Ah could do anythin’.” he said

“Elusive?” Dusk asked

“I’m sorry as well.” Elusive said “The day you came over was the one day I took to spend with my sister. Even though it’s been four days, I’ve still been rushing to get orders in on time.”

“How about you Butterscotch?” Dusk asked

“Oh I’d love to,” she said, and Dusk’s ears suddenly perked up “but I have to take care of my animals. I couldn’t possibly be there all the time.”

Dusk’s ears drooped again ”Oh… ok. I guess that makes sense. Could you help me out Bubble Berry?

“No can do, Dusky. The Cakes just went on vacation and put me in charge of Sugar Cube Corner! It’s my first time doing it all by myself!”

He turned his head to the last pony in the room who hadn’t answered. He was, ironically, the only pony he had feelings for. “What kind of Element of Loyalty would I be if I just left you hanging? Of course I’ll help you.”