• Published 18th Sep 2014
  • 464 Views, 18 Comments

Equus is Dying - Silver Nightshade



Panic in Equestria! Something foul is overtaking the lands of Equus!

  • ...
11
 18
 464

Chapter 5

I was walking out of my spell theory class right behind Vinyl. I wasn't listening to her as she ranted about how all she wanted to do was DJ at clubs and learning about spells other than Levitation and Telekinetic control was worthless, ex cetera ex cetera. What caught my attention was the mass of purple that walked straight into me, knocking me back.

"Hello there mind watching where you're going?" the purple unicorn asked while continuing to walk down the hall with her nose deep in a book. Reminds me of my the days of magic kindergarden when Twilight Sparkle used to do the same thing every other day. Only she stopped to apologize. I glare after the unicorn's tail as it rounds a corner and I see paper come flying into view.

"Yo, Night what's up?" Vinyl asked after realizing I wasn't focusing on her rant.

"Nothing, just glad to see that people aren't acting different even though the world's ending," I say with a sigh as I walk back up to Vinyl, who was three hallway intersections ahead of me.

"Well yeah, why wouldn't they? Its still only the Equestrian borders that are being destroyed right? so why would they care and panic?"

"Because the deaths have made it to Los Pegasus and Manehatten. There is even reports that Cloudsdale might be infected and attacked soon since the remainder of Princess Twilight's friends left the destruction of Ponyville," I say, a growl creeping up my throat. "Whatever's attacking us, its moving fast and the mages and Royal Guard can't Dimension Jump ponies fast enough."

At this point we had exited the school and were on our way to Vinyl's place again. This time I was going to ask Double Platinum why she dislikes me.

We reach Vinyl's house and her dad is waiting by the door, like every other day. He recently though has had a smile on his face since his newest album went, well, gold again for the fifth time in a row. He is definitely Certified for the Gold as usual. I muse to myself. I watch his smile dip ever so slightly at the sight of me. Another grunt and nod for a greeting followed by Vinyl's mother's voice. She walked down the hall, her mane unkempt, her eyes dreary, and her hate was not showing as a shine more so than depression. At the sight of me however some of her hateful spark kindled and I prepared for some insult of sarcastic question. Instead I started the dialogue.

"Mrs. Platinum? Are you well and just sleep deprived or did you catch something?" I ask, the genuine concern putting her off balance and she gave a sad smile.

"And the day has come where the Colt I hate the most for turning my daughter into a filly-fooler, has shown concern for me. I could die, but not from my state. No, I just had some bad hay fries at lunch today is all."

"Ah, please tell me it was Sloppy Joe's Burger Joint."

"It was," she replied with a groan and growl mixed together before puffing out her cheeks and running out of the hallway to the bathroom.

"Um, pro-tip, never get their hay fries after one in the afternoon. They aren't fresh since they make all of them in the morning," I say looking at Certified Gold. "I'd also like to point out that your daughter was a filly-fooler before meeting me in Magic first-grade."

Certified Gold gives me a sly smile before walking off to look after his wife while Vinyl cuffs my shoulder with a hard hoof.

"Thanks jerk!"

"No problem V," I say with a giggle before falling into step behind her as we head up to her room. The stairs creak under our hooves thanks to the years of the two of us running up and down them whenever we would play tag, or Guard and Changling. Her door sported a collage of Pony-Colt bands and a couple well known DJs and even a rapper or two. I never liked their stuff but Vinyl's music was great and I'd always sound-proof the room so that we never got in trouble. We step into her room and I begin to cast the soundproofing spell when she suddenly grabs me and holds me in a tight hug, tears streaming down under her glasses as my neck begins to pop from her un-unicorn like strength.

"V? What's wrong?" I ask once I managed to pull away enough to look her in the eyes. This is sudden, whatever it is, and I doubt I'll be qualified to help and calm her down.

"Its Harpy, she dumped me right in the middle of lunch after our little make out session behind the cafeteria!" she said as the tears continued to fall. "What's worse, is she did it TODAY! You know what tomorrow is right?!"

I do know what tomorrow is, tomorrow is Vinyl and Harpy Fries's one year anniversary as mare-friends. Vinyl had a special event she was going to take Harpy to as a surprise as well as give her a necklace she had bought-en for her. I hold Vinyl closer and slowly work our way to her bed, where we both fell onto our faces as I trip on her rug. She chuckles a little and calls me a clutz. I just smile and hold her, not daring to speak for fear of saying something stupid, which I was prone to doing whenever it involved a Mare and her problems.