• Published 4th Jul 2014
  • 1,844 Views, 29 Comments

Little Dragon In A Strange New World II: Hero's Plight - Zeryurijin



Sequel to Little Dragon in a Strange New World. Set five years after the Malefor incident, Spike deals with being an awakened while his friends uncover a dark threat rising, forgotten by time and history.

  • ...
4
 29
 1,844

Leads

Princess Luna read the letter her eyes going over every detail. Twilight sent the letter that afternoon specifically addressed to the princess of the night. Her sister delivered the letter leaving it on her nightstand before starting the evening court. When Luna awoke late that afternoon she found it waiting for her. Now the alicorn scribbled down parts of the nightmare Spike had that day somewhat puzzled that she had not sensed his discomfort.

A knock on her door drew her attention away from the letter and to the entrance.

"Enter." She said.

Both doors opened magically her maid entering with tea and a light dinner,"Your sister asks how goes it this evening princess."

"Tell her I am fine." She rolled up the parchment and handed it to the maid as she set the tray next to her desk.

"Deliver this to my sister and let her know I would like to speak with her before she retires for the night."

"Of course your majesty." The maid bowed and exited with scroll in tow leaving Luna alone once more.

The quill tapped against paper as Luna turned over what she read. This nightmare was odd for a few reasons. One, she had not sensed Spike falling asleep which was odd given she had no problems sensing any pony while they slept. Two, the scene described reminded her of her early years with Celestia as they stood over battle torn fields during their time at war with the dragons centuries ago. Three, the particular words "Children of the egg." The entity referred Spike and the ghost form of Spyro before engulfing the two in fire and devouring them both. What could this mean? While Luna could read most dreams of all those who slumbered under her night sky, nightmares were a little tricky. A little time perhaps a night or two and she would help the dreamer overcome what fears or dreads they may hold. Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were just a few she had helped. But this nightmare was on a different level. Dragons were not known to dream least not from her knowledge. To suffer nightmares? It was hard to tell.

Rising from her chair, the dark alicorn placed the quill down and departed her bedroom chambers. While she would have wanted to assist Spike in this matter, the night court was waiting and it was going to be yet another long night. Rumors were spreading mixed with gossip among Equestria. Of a fugitive that evaded capture lurking among the borders. Sapphire had been top priority. Yet for all the search parties Luna and Celestia had sent to confirm said rumors, there was nothing to show. They were getting little help from the dragons either. Ever since the new queen took over the throne odd changes had been happening. For one their own patrols had increased and those entering or exiting were interrogated in the most unpleasant fashion. Some ponies claimed the guards ransacked their carriages accusing them of being in league with Sapphire. Celestia had done her best to seek an audience with Hexonya but the dragoness would not send a response not even by parchment.

As Luna turned the corner she bumped into a snow white chest a soft oof! followed. The warm scent of spring and summer caressed her muzzle, a scent she knew very well. Eyes glanced up to see an exhausted sister standing before her, one holding tea with magic and scrolls tucked under a wing.

"Sister you look... terrible." Luna replied upon seeing her older sibling's state.

"I hope you have your maids brewing strong coffee for you dear sister. I've never seen the courts like this not in hundreds of years," came Celestia's reply.

"Has it grown worse?" The dark mare asked.

"I'm a few feathers short of storming Draconis myself and demanding an audience with Hexonya. Today an elderly couple stood before me. The poor ponies clothing were in shambles and their story made me so... angry."

Luna's eyes widen. Another search by the guards at the borders?

"Yes. The dragon guards were not kind to the old couple. The old mare was so scared she thought she would have dropped from a heart attack. The elderly stallion was even roughed up by them."

"Unacceptable. Hexonya needs to learn that she has no right to intimidate any pony or being that enters or departs her lands. Even during these times."

Celestia gave a soft nod,"It may be due to another little thing that has been creeping among the shadows dear sister. A cult a faction of followers of a long dead religion."

Luna arched a brow,"It would not have something to due with Sapphire or the passing of the dragon queen of recent has it?"

Her sister shrugged,"I'm not sure. There has been no plausible threat of them. Only some pamphlets passed out by a couple in the town square today proclaiming the end of days bit."

Luna sighed and shook her head. Moment anything involving other nations and rogue citizens causing a stir ponies would believe it to be the end of their civilization. The alicorn kept a smile forming on her muzzle. She knew when she and Celestia first came to aide the ponies after they founded the nations, their appearance had caused quite a reaction. It was only through Celestia's calm and reassuring demeanor that all three tribes were able to see that no, Luna and Celestia were not the harbringers of doom. Princess Celestia could see the spark in her sister's eye and knew what she was recalling. The mare was about to say something when a faint tingle in the air was brought to her attention.

Both sisters felt it. At first it felt like a shimmer a subtle distortion. The tingling sensation one would experience should they fall asleep on their limb and cut off circulation. The tingling intensified after a few seconds and both sisters soon were on defense. Both horns became set aglow as a blue thin line of magic cut down the center of the hallway not far from where the sisters stood. This line soon spread as clawed fingers tore open a portal. Distorted magic and unstable electricity coursed in the air. Guards nearby hearing the sound rushed to the source many taking up positions around their monarchs. Then something came through.

Rather something barreled through. A ball if one could call a balled up roll of cloth came rolling through knocking through six of the guards who were unfortunate to be in the way. Guards went sailing as the ball crashed into a barrier brought up by Celestia. The ball yelped and ricochet off the barrier only to crash into a near by desk. Then the portal was gone. The hall was in a bit of a disarray. The soldiers rushed to where the crumbled cloth ball now lay heaped against the splintered remains of the desk while Luna and Celestia joined the rest of the party. Celestia was puzzled by this appearance of cloth. Where did it come from any why here?

A soft groan and muttering in a tongue Celestia knew was draconic drew suspicion. Her horn ignited she plucked the cloth ball, hearing a soft eek! and soon flailing limbs followed before an familiar voice called out.

"I'm just a harmless mage passing through I meant no harm!"

"Kel?" Luna asked.

A familiar dragon muzzle was revealed as the dragon tugged at his garments,"Ahh! Princess Luna and Celestia!" His eyes darted around,"It worked! I had my doubts but it actually worked. Huzzah!!"

Celestia dropped him ignoring the oof! as he landed before strolling to the dragon as he rubbed his head,"You have a valid explanation as to why you've put my castle on high alert do you not?"

Kel rose to his feet brushing off his robes,"A thousand apologies Princess Celestia. If it were any easier to visit Equestria or Gryf believe me I would have rather taken the train or hot air balloon. As such with a curfew now in effect in Draconis I'm afraid I had to... bend the rules."

"Curfew? What curfew?" Luna asked.

"As of this morning no dragon be it feral or sentient mage or warrior be permitted to leave Draconis. Furthermore any dragons associating with other beings i.e. ponies., griffins, diamond dogs or any combination of groups consisting of these denizens is subject to house arrest and penalties." Kel watched as the sisters looked to each other shocked by what he just said. He coughed to draw their gaze to him.

"I am fully aware of what Hexonya has been doing to ponies near the borders. Yet I was threatened with chains when I protested her methods. However a recent event has come into my possession and I knew you would want to hear this. So I created a portal towards the nearest, most powerful magical source I could pinpoint in Equestria knowing it would drop me at your hooves." He winced and rubbed his tail base,"Though I could have done without the method of said dropping."

Princess Celestia looked at Kel,"Event? What event?"

Kel nodded,"A few days ago a scouting party came across a wrecked camp site. At first they brushed it off as maybe a bandit raiding party. But they found an unconscious pony near the debris. A light blue pony that looked like she'd gone through hell and back. Or she pissed off the wrong dragon. Either way she is being held in custody at the barracks to the east."

Celestia and Luna looked to each other then back to Kel,"And this pony. What is her name?"

Kel hmmed then nodded,"Trixie Lunamoon. At least that what I was able to coax from her after her hysteria. Mare nearly had a nervous breakdown when she woke up. Took out four guards before they restrained her. She's got a strong fighting spirit."

"Did she manage to say anything else to you?"

Kel shook his head,"She refused to say anything. Other then 'The great and traumatized Trixie shall speak to no one save for Twilight Sparkle.' "

"Twilight Sparkle?" Celestia tapped a scroll against her chin before her ears perked,"Now I remember. Trixie Lunamoon was mentioned in a few of Twilight's early friendship reports. A show pony who dazzled audiences with displays of fireworks and magician tricks. She had a few trip up along the road but Twilight was able to set her on the right path. Since then I've heard of a traveling magician across the lands wowing crowds as she sought to make a good name for herself."

Celestia pulled a blank scroll from Luna's own stash she was to use for notes in the court and quickly scribbled down with quill. Once finished, she handed the scroll to Kel,"Time is short and given the curfew I can only surmise that you would be able to sneak Twilight in and out."

Kel took the scroll and hid it away in his robes,"I can do that. The visit would be brief as the guards posted outside will not leave her alone for long. Mayhaps your sister can persuade Hexonya to release Trixie into your guards care in a few days."

"I can try. Stubborn as your queen may be I can move mountains if I must." Luna replied.

"Then it is done. Kel, go to Twilight at the library and give her the scroll. Luna you prepare a means of negotiations to bring Trixie under our watch."

"And you sister?" Luna asked.

The alicorn yawned covering her muzzle with a wing,"I will rest. When I awake I hope there will be good news on your ends."

Kel and Luna nodded then both set off. One to the throne to attend the evening court, the other post haste to the library in Ponyville.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Trixie's head began to ache once more. The unicorn grit her teeth as the dull throb trickled from spine to horn, its distracting pain making one being unable to feed themselves difficult once more. She had awoken in a cot a few days ago. At first Trixie thought some pony had found and rescued her, brought her back to their hut and patched her up. The mare was wrong when two dragons entered the tent where she lay and began peppering her with questions. To say she lost it was a tad of an understatement. Her screams had echoed across the camp as more soldiers rushed to the source only to find their fellow guard dragons being pummeled by a hysterical pony. Despite being in the condition she was in, Trixie was determined that, if these soldiers were from that damn dragoness sent to finish her off, she would go down hoof and horn.

Her brief skirmish with the guards was concluded when one managed to slip behind and muffle her with a cloth covered in some rank, foul smelling liquid that dulled her senses and knocked her out. When Trixie awoke hours later she found herself shackled to her cot and a magic inhibiting ring around her horn. One soldier who was standing by alerted his fellow guardsdragon and once more the two began to ask questions. Trixie refused to answer them. Even when they threatened to place her in chains and a cell with accusations of being a spy did she refuse. She boldly proclaimed she would not speak with them until one Twilight Sparkle was there. They both cursed and stomped off leaving the unicorn to gather what little wits she had. For the next few days she laid there. Her only visitor was what she could guess a nurse or healer who checked her bandages or brought her food.

The food though bland and dull was at least edible. Dark grain bread and leafy vegetables. As she ate, Trixie overhead her overseers mumble about the fugitive and how she kept giving them the slip. Their queen was none too thrilled and was growing impatient. Trixie could only guess it was that dragoness from before. As she nibbled the remains of her loaf, the mare began to feel helpless. How much longer was she going to lay here in their claws, chained like a criminal? Was no pony going to rescue her? Did Equestria consider the Great and Powerful Trixie deceased? Her thoughts were interrupted as the headache began again. Groaning softly Trixie rubbed her heavily bandaged head hoping it would pass. One thing they could have at least done was give her some medication to soothe these headaches.

Her ears pricked forward as voices could be heard outside the tent flaps.

"Under the queens orders, no dragon or pony is allowed to see the pony of interest."

"By Equestria law, you will let this mare see the pony. She requested her upon regaining consciousness and that is whom she shall see."

"One word to the queen and you and your prissy pony will be in chains, Kel. Did you not forget the curfew?"

"Hold your tongue whelp. Lest you incur this pony's mentor hooves upon that thick headed skull of yours. By their monarch's decree, one Trixie shall speak with Twilight and that is who stands before you. Furthermore after her interrogation you will release her into the mare's custody on the account that any information that can be proven useful will be turned over to the soldiers in regards to Sapphire."

There was hissing and even low growls. Trixie shuddered at the sound but it soon ended. The tent flap was roughly yanked aside, revealing a sour looking dragon soldier glaring at her two visitors. A dragon dressed in robes entered followed by a lavender pony with a cloak around her shoulders. Trixie's eyes began to mist up as the two approached. Twilight looked behind her then cast a bubble spell which surrounded the tent. The soldier looked stunned then pounded on the purple sphere. Kel scribbled on a piece of paper then held it up for the soldier to read. He read it then glared at the two before stomping off leaving the trio alone.

"Bubble spell to keep them from eaves dropping. Nicely done Twilight."

"Thanks Kel. And now Trixie one Twilight Sparkle request fulfilled. Is there something you wish to say?"

Trixie felt her lower lip tremble at the sight of her adversary turned friendly rival. Words spilled in her head, the things she wanted to say, to scream, to shout even. Instead Trixie looked down at the covers and murmured,"The Great and Lonely Trixie thought the world had believed her dead. That no pony would come looking for her."

"And it would have were it not for the soldiers outside. Granted they could have treated you better Miss Trixie. Alas given what both Draconis and Equestria is facing, all formalities have been tossed out." Kel said.

Twilight approached Trixie's cot side,"Trixie. I know you've been through a lot and that is why we are here. To take you home, get you to a hospital where you can rest. But we need your help. What did Sapphire want from you?"

At the mention of the dragoness's name Trixie broke down into a sob,"It was horrible! That loathsome lizard beat Trixie! She ransacked and destroyed my wagon, my fireworks and even my hat! Then that vicious beast threatened to skin me alive! After I told her everything that damned heathen would not believe me!"

Twilight laid a hoof on Trixie's shoulder. The mare looked up, tears in her eyes as she gazed back,"What was it that Sapphire wanted?"

"Pages... to an old journal Trixie found."

Kel perked up,"Old journal? By whom?"

"One belonging to one of Gryf's rulers of past. King Steel Talon the 3rd."

Kel frowned. What would Sapphire want with an old journal? What did King Steel Talon know and how did it tie in to what Sapphire was up to? Questions arose and he had no easy answer.

"You said pages to the journal. Some were missing?," Twilight asked.

"Trixie was beset upon by crazy ponies and griffons in dark robes one night. Rambling about some thing and that I was a thief to steal what was theirs. Trixie didn't steal it! Trixie merely borrowed from the librarian and would have returned it!"

"You checked out a journal belonging to King Steel Talon from a library?" Twilight tilted her head puzzled.

"Trixie likes reading other nation histories in the form of ruler's journals. What do you do for a hobby hmmmm?"

Twilight clicked her tongue not wanting to reply quickly that re-organizing her library back home was a favorite hobby of hers. Kel moved closer causing Trixie to scoot back against the cot.

"Why would an old journal belonging to griffons wind up in a Equestrian library? It does not make sense."

"Some ponies like to steal. I've seen it happen back home. They like a particular book so much they don't want to keep coming back. So they try to one hoof discount and make off. Unfortunately for them, I place anti book theft spells on all my books. Some keep trying though." Twilight replied.

Kel grunted,"You said the crazy ponies and griffons in robes tried to take it. Did they?"

"No. They tore a few pages before Trixie managed to grab it then blind them with her flash fireworks and fled. The librarian was not too happy about it though upon return. She didn't believe Trixie either."

And now the journal was in Sapphire's claws. Kel rubbed the temple to his snout. What was in the journal that she wanted so badly that she was willing to beat a pony nearly to death over a few missing pages?

"I'd ask more about it, but I think we've spent enough time here. Lets get you home Trixie."

"I agree. Lets get you to a more suitable bed."

Kel stepped forward and murmured something while waving a hand over Trixie's shackles. They unclicked and clattered to the floor while Twilight removed the magic inhibitor ring from Trixie's horn. The bubble popped as Kel exited the tent. A few minutes later the sound of a cart being pulled up could be heard. Twilight stood by Trixie offering her side in case the mare needed some leaning. Trixie wanted to protest and claim she was fine walking on her own but the headache was making it hard to stand straight. Limping next to Twilight the two ponies exited the tent. Twilight helped Trixie into the cart which had cushions and blankets to make the journey back easier. With a nod to Kel both pony and dragon mage left the soldier camp much to the stares and glares from the soldiers as their captive was lead away.

As Kel pulled the cart with Twilight as his side, he nodded,"A shame we don't know what the journal was about. We would have been able to know what was it that King Talon knew that piqued Sapphire's interest."

"Trixie thinks it may have something to due with a relic they hid."

The cart came to a sudden stop as Trixie eeked. Blinking she looked as both Twilight and Kel stared at her.

"What? Trixie has read the journal countless times. King Steel Talon the 3rd came upon a ancient relic that seemed too dangerous. So with the help of Star Swirl the Bearded they hid the relic in hopes it would never be found. It was most difficult though."

"You know all of this?" Twilight asked.

"Trixie is like a sponge when it comes to her favorite books. Trixie can recite some of her favorite books word for word."

"Even if pages or say a whole book is gone for good?,"Kel asked.

"Yes. Trixie does not see the big deal about it."

Kel and Twilight looked to each other,"Oh I would not call it a big deal. Just you have given us something we have been needing for a very long time now, Trixie."

"And what is that?"

"A clue and hopefully a step ahead of Sapphire. Come first thing is first. Get you to Equestria. Then time permitting hopefully a complete copy of King Steel Talon the 3rd's journal."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sapphire stood at the edge to the Badlands. Here hidden among the craggily mountains and hills among the sparse greenery of an otherwise devoid of life range these so called cultists resided. And they had a journal which the dragoness was going to have. Be it willingly or off freshly slain corpses. With a tug of her pack, the dragoness set off into the lands as the afternoon sun began to set in the horizon.

Author's Note:

Nothing to see here folks, just dusting off a story hidden among the clutter of stuff. Yeah.