• Published 4th Jul 2014
  • 1,844 Views, 29 Comments

Little Dragon In A Strange New World II: Hero's Plight - Zeryurijin



Sequel to Little Dragon in a Strange New World. Set five years after the Malefor incident, Spike deals with being an awakened while his friends uncover a dark threat rising, forgotten by time and history.

  • ...
4
 29
 1,844

Dream? More like Nightmare

Spike lay slumped against the tree on the playground behind the school house. He rubbed his eyes and fought off another yawn that had accompanied the last few. He was beat. After all the work he and Twilight did back in Canterlot there was no chance of getting the day off. Twilight apologized by sending him to school today knowing he deserved another day's worth of rest. Yet he had missed a few already and was dangerously close of being dropped by Cheerilee.

So here he was under the leafy canopy of the tree, eyes half lidded as colts and fillies laughed, screamed in glee or partook in the various toys that lay strewn across the grass. Thankfully Scootaloo and the others were wise to leave him alone, seeing him all but shuffle into school this morning. Despite peppering him with questions as to why he spent all night up, the girls could never get a answer out of the dragon. So they left him to his own as they plotted yet another ploy to earn their cuties marks. By the graces of whoever or whatever deities were out there, Spike was also spared the ceaseless badgering from Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.

The wind played with the leaves overhead while the rays of the sun flickered over his scaled body. Even with the noise on the playground, Spike felt his eyelids grow heavier and heavier. Not a few minutes later the dragon passed out, arms across his chest, tail flicking idly to the side as he decided to squeeze in a quick nap. Twenty minutes that's all with ten more minutes to shake off the drowsiness and hopefully give Cheerilee a more active presence.

- - - - - - - - - -

He stood on a barren wasteland. The land as far as the eyes would allow granted him only a dead and empty plain. The sky was bronze with a red hue, the sun blotted out by billowing clouds. The wind howled in his ears leaving a sense of cold that seemed to suck the warmth from his scales. All around him structures which resembled homes lay in ruins devoid of life. All around he searched hoping to find another life. Yet as he wandered aimlessly along the decrepit streets nothing looked the same. The library was nothing but a skeleton tree, the books lay strewn across the ground. When he stooped to pick one up it crumbled to dust.

Carousel Boutique, Sugercube Corner, the farm, the Spa why even the town hall lay in ruins. Spike shivered not just from the cold but from being alone. What happened to Ponyville? Where was every pony? Twilight, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash. No sign of them anywhere. Spike craned his neck to gaze into the distance hoping to catch the glimmer of Canterlot's rooftops. Straining his eyes hard he could barely make out the silhouette of the castle against the mountain side. To his shock the castle too, looked abandoned and in ruins. Just what was going on here?

"Hello?" Spike called out,"Hello! Any pony out here?"

Nothing but the wind answered him as tatters of cloth from broken windows flailed in the gust.

This had to be a dream. There was no other explanation for it. The dragon had a glimmer of hope that Luna was around maybe perhaps even shed some light on this scenery. Yet the longer he stood around, the more anxious Spike was becoming. Where was the dream walker? Why had she not appeared yet? Was he not letting her in? Was he in a deep sleep?

"C'mon, wake up, wake up!" the dragon said, smacking the sides of his head in hopes of creating a jostle or a jolt to take him from this nightmare.

Nothing.

The wind picked up forcing the dragon to seek shelter in one of the abandoned homes. The cold still tore at him making each step more painful as though his very bones were turning to ice. As he reached a cross roads, the dragon saw a sight that made his heart leap. A familiar purple dragon stood there eyes wide in awe and surprise.

"Spyro!!" he shouted.

Picking up speed the dragon ran towards his fellow companion almost tripping over a jutting stone in the path. It did little to stop him though until he nearly bowled into the dragon. Or so he thought he did. Upon impact, Spike gasped as he sailed through Spyro rather then colliding. The dragon grunted as he tumbled onto the ground his hopes dashed the moment there was someone here. Rising to his feet Spike turned to look upon Spyro only to see his image faded. The dragon looked like a specter more then a living dragon. His appearance was that of a ghostly wisp the edges being torn away by the winds that howled around them. Yet as Spike peered closer, he swore the dragon was trying to mouth something to him.

"I... I don't understand. What?" he asked.

"...way... ing... out... go.." The winds made it hard to make out what Spyro was trying to say. Stepping closer, Spike leaned close a hand cupped over his ear and strained.

"Way... going... out... go... run.... coming." was whispered.

"Way? Out? Run? Whats coming? Whats going on here? Spyro talk to me, I can barely make out what you're saying."

His eyes widened and for the first time since he known and met Spyro he saw the look of fear and terror. A deep growl behind the dragon send a shudder down his spine and Spike suddenly found his feet like heavy stones forbading him to move. Spyro shook his head in a painfully slow motion as though forbidding him to turn around, but it was too late.

As Spike turned, the desolate town of Ponyville and Canterlot erupted into fire. A wall of flame surged across the town and Spike watched helplessly as fire consumed what was left. The growl grew louder as the dragon looked up frozen and unable to move as a fiery shadow emerged from behind the wall of fire. Great, fierce and intimidating was its size. Red ruby eyes bore down on the two of them as Spike could only squirm in his place. A great roar tore at his body the dragon clutching himself for fear of shattering against the sound so great was the fiery beast that made it.

"I have you now children of the egg."

A flaming arm shot out and grabbed both Spike and Spyro in one swoop. Spike screamed as he felt his scales catch fire no, his whole body erupt into flame. Helpless with the ghostly visage of Spyro, the dragon could only watch as monsterous jaws emerged to swallow them both, his cries echoing as both he and Spyro fell down a dark abyss.

- - - - - - - - -

Spike awoke to the sight of all the fillies and colts surrounding him. Breathing heavily the dragon realized he was soaking wet. Water mixed with his sweat trickled onto the grass beneath him as eyes stared at him in confusion and surprise.

"You're awake! That's good. Was beginning to think we would have to resort to ice water." Cheerilee said,"What is wrong? The kids were saying you were thrashing and screaming under the tree. A nightmare perhaps?"

Spike opened his mouth but nothing came out. He patted himself down, relieved to find himself whole and not a charred body in the belly of some beast.

"Yeah... just a bad dream." Spike replied rising to his feet.

"Well that's good. Unfortunately recess is over and we have a lot to cover. Come along children." The foals moaned and groaned as they shuffled along, leaving Spike with Scootaloo and the others.

"You ok Spike? Some of the foals said you were mumbling in your sleep. Then you started screaming for no reason." Applebloom asked.

Looking at the trio of fillies Spike could only blink in silence. He couldn't explain what happened as Cheerilee called them from the doorway of the school house. It would have to wait for another time.

The bell rang that afternoon. The doors opened to the screams and cheers as foals ran off school over for another day. Book bags with homework hugged their sides as each filly and colt ran to meet their parents. Spike, Scootaloo, Applebloom and Sweetie Belle were the last to depart. Scootaloo grumbled about Cheerilee giving them too much homework yet again while Applebloom assured her with all four of them working together it would be done in no time.

"Spike you ok there? You're spacing out again." Sweetie Belle said.

Spike had been unusually quiet the rest of the day. Ever since his outburst during recess, the dragon had not uttered so much a peep since then. Sure he did the school work Cheerilee provided but never rose his hand to answer a question nor got involved in the activities they had.

"Its that dream I had if you can call it that." Spike replied.

"Yeah, what was that all about? I know I can get exhausted but I sleep like a log rather then flail while dreaming." Scootaloo said.

"You didn't have a firey dragon monster... thing grab you, watch your body ignite in fire then get tossed down its gullet." Spike replied sourly.

All three fillies stopped in their tracks.

"Say what?" Applebloom asked.

Spike groaned then shook his head, pointing with a finger to indicate wishing to resume walking. As they started, he told them of the dream he had what or who was in it and how it ended. When he finished the girls remained silent. Applebloom shuddered at the thought, Scootaloo whistled softly and Sweetie Belle just nodded.

"That's some nightmare. Surprised Luna didn't show up and banish it. That is strange when you think about it." Sweetie Belle said, forelegs crossed as she pondered.

"Why not ask Twilight about it. Get her to send a letter to Princess Luna. Maybe she can delve into it." Scootaloo suggested.

"I would love to, but can't. Both princesses are very busy at the moment. I don't think they will have any time to stop and help me." Spike replied.

"Oooh with what you and Twilight were doin up in Canterlot couple days ago?" Applebloom asked.

Spike nodded and the group resumed. They parted ways at the farm, then later at the boutique. Spike and Scootaloo said farewell before he entered the library. Just as he closed the door, he turned and found himself nose to nose with Twilight as she peered intently at him.

"Umm... hi." he said.

"So whats with this about having a bad dream during recess I read?" Twilight replied.

"Auugh! You kidding me? She sent you a letter?" Spike complained

"Yes and I want you to tell me every little detail about it." Twilight said.

"Can't it wait? I'm still tired, yet honestly hesitant to take a nap right now."

Twilight looked at the dragon then shook her head softly,"Spike with what is going on what you experienced may be related."

"Or it could just be a random thing." the dragon said.

"At least tell me about it? Please?" the mare asked, concern showing in her eyes.

Spike avoided the look then sighed and nodded. He moved over to the table with Twilight in tow, quill and paper in magical grasp, ready to write down every little thing he had during the dream.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The camp site was in disarray. Cooking utensils lay littered next to an overturned cauldron the soup that was bubbling over the fire lay spilled on the dirt. The sleeping bag was torn as was the pillows while articles and personal items lay littered about. A wagon was parked next to a tree the sides painted with bright letters and colors. This did not last long as a body was hurled against it, causing the wagon to overturn, the being's cry cut short as wood splintered against flesh and bone. The mare struggled to get up but she was in too much pain. Her back, legs and belly were marred by claws, her sight becoming impaired as blood trickled down one eye. Groaning in pain she crawled out of the wagon that served as both her home and performance stage.

The sound of footsteps drew her attention, her body trembling in fear as a cloaked figure strode through the camp site kicking at the cauldron. The pot sailed through the air missing the injured mare's head by a few inches as she yelped and cringed. A clawed hand wrapped around her throat, the mare choking as the dragoness lifted her up from the ruins of her home while her cold voice hissed in one ear.

"I'll not ask again mammal. Where are the missing pages to this journal? The librarian gave an utmost detailed description that matches you as the last holder of the book." Sapphire hissed.

The mare pulled feebly at the fingers closing off her wind pipe as she wiggled helplessly in the air.

"Trixie... *cough* Trixie has already... told you... everything!"

Sapphire sighed and dropped the mare in disgust.

Trixie yelped as her aching body landed on the ground leaving her breathless. What more did this crazy dragoness want from her? Trixie had provided her with all the information. What more did she want? Claws scrapped across her wagon causing the unicorn to tremble as the dragoness knelt before her.

"I feel as though you're not telling me everything silly parlor trick pony." The dragoness drew one claw up against Trixie's face, Sapphire giving a rather frightening smile as she heard the heart race.

"You know, I wonder what it must feel like. To be skinned alive. All those mammals that were stuffed back then. Its a good thing they were dead. Could only imagine the pain of having one's own skin slowly peeled away from the muscle. I wonder where they start. At the head?" Trixie gasped as the claw dug into her skin, the burning pain of being cut once more trailed up her forehead until it paused at the base of her horn,"Or by the tail." The mare started to sob as she felt the claw dig into the base of her tail making her writhe.

"The cultists took it!!" Trixie all but screamed,"Mad ponies and griffons in dark robes ambushed me one night while I was reading!! They took the journal, ripped out the pages then quickly went back into the shadows as quickly as they appeared."

Sapphire tapped her blooded claw against Trixie's nose,"I find that just a little hard to believe mare."

"Trixie is telling the truth." she sniffled,"They were going on about the revival of some person. Trixie doesn't know what they were rambling bout. All Trixie knows is where they are rumored to reside. Near the base of the mountains at the outskirts of the Badlands."

"And why is it you happen to know where they are rumored to be hmm?"

"Tri.. Trixie heard it from the locals. Some crazy group of ponies and griffons they said residing in the caves. Talking madness and nonsense. Stealing supplies and food at night."

Sapphire released the pony and rose. There was some truth to her wild story. At first the mare resisted, even went on a stupid third person tirade about how she would not be intimidated by a dragon. Ahh how quickly that changed when she "interrogated" the mare.

"Well... thank you for that information. There is just one more itty, bitty, thing you can do for me." Sapphire said with a smirk in her voice.

"W..what is that?" Trixie asked trembling.

The cauldron made contact with the side of the mare's head, a cracking sound heard as the dragoness laid her out flat. Dropping the pot, Sapphire snorted and pulled her robes tightly around her. So some mad cult of lunatics had the pages did they? Well they will regret stealing from her. Sapphire would make sure of that. The dragoness left the beaten and unconscious pony in the ruins of her camp site to the fate of the wild life.

Sapphire headed south toward the Badlands where the pieces of the journal lay.

Author's Note:

Yes I made Sapphire beat up Trixie. No I don't have anything against her. Sapphire is just being that evil individual you'll want to see burned. Or hanged. Or whatever comes to mind for harming Trixie.