• Published 4th Jul 2014
  • 1,844 Views, 29 Comments

Little Dragon In A Strange New World II: Hero's Plight - Zeryurijin



Sequel to Little Dragon in a Strange New World. Set five years after the Malefor incident, Spike deals with being an awakened while his friends uncover a dark threat rising, forgotten by time and history.

  • ...
4
 29
 1,844

Old journals

On the outskirts of the borders rain drummed down upon Tri Point mountain. The storm forecast for Equestria was heading east granting the citizens there a wet afternoon to ease the warmth of the day. At times the rain became heavy and the winds picked up, but not severe enough to warrant the pruning of tree limbs and any debris that may pose a risk.

Inside a lone dragoness lay slumped over the large oaken table. Papers, parchments, notes and pieces of papers lay strewn, accompanied by crumbled napkins and other materials. This indicated that a being had set up resident in the otherwise abandoned stronghold. Among the mess of notes and history books a single lantern sat near the dragon. While nothing intriguing at a distance, up close revealed a macabre and sinister design. The metal woven among the glass housing was twisted and dark. Obsidium ore had been made to create horrifying images of dragon skulls, griffon skulls and pony skulls. Each bony muzzle lay agape in a silent scream while empty eye sockets glowed an eerie blue. The glass was enchanted to contain any flame housed within its chambers from a simple spell cast fire to a mighty dragon flame. A single ring adorned the roofing of the lantern while the base was grasped by a bony talon which served as a means to hang the creepy item from any overhang the owner so chose. Inside a green orb pulsed and flared with pale fire. The object struggled, frayed and stretched as though attempting to break free of its prison but to no avail. So instead it made itself known through rattling the metal drawing the attention of the dragon present.

Sapphire growled under her breath as she stared at the lantern. She muttered something under her breath before rising from her posture, running her hands over her muzzle and face. Damn Star Swirl the Bearded. The old coot was more cunning and enigmatic when it came to hiding relics then she first gave him credit for. His cookbook, his "journal" lay open to a recipe hailing from the griffons. To any other pair of eyes, it was for a grand rich dessert that some would find at odd for a griffon's palate given their carnivorous diet. To the sharp mind and keen mind however, the measurements and directions held secret coordinates to a forgotten heirloom buried long ago by history and its denizens.

Yet the deeper Sapphire had delved into the pages, the more frustrating she was becoming. Half the directions made no sense and even the measurements were so far off, one would think that Star Swirl was just a lousy cook who tried his hoof in the culinary arts. It didn't help that the guest was making a fuss within the confines of its room either. The dragoness growled again as she thwacked the glass wall of the lantern, causing the orb within to lay still. Shortly after an eerie ghostly voice snarled at her.

"Releasssse meeeeee!," It howled.

Sapphire just laughed and rose to her feet,"Release you? Now why would I go and do a thing like that? What? You'll fly back to your body then send armies after me? For the former queen of Draconis Demuria, you sure are not too bright. If memory serves me right your body is now a charred husk at the bottom of the volcano back home. You have no body to return to. Even if you did manage to escape, there is no host nor capable sensitive you can inhabit. Granted your hatred and loathing would call upon Windigoes whom would love to devour you."

"Damn youuuuu!," the captive soul of the former dragon queen snarled.

Sapphire snorted and picked up another journal. This detailed the visit Star Swirl made to Gryf centuries ago. Known as Gryfthonia during his life, the king ruling at the time was King Steel Talon the 3rd and his mate, Queen Storm Chaser. The female dragon poured over each date, trying to find some piece of information that could help crack Star Swirl's journal.

Day twenty four, month of summer, year 1578

Star Swirl the Bearded is by far the most curious mammal I've ever met. Granted the pony colonies to our west is all foreign to us, but to have one represent a budding kingdom is nothing short of surprise and curiosity. Mother always said curiosity would kill the cat, but she is only half right. Being we are only half feline the risk is not so dire. Still to have a mammal that can do magicks! My wife is still getting over the little display the stallion? Yes. Male ponies are stallions, female ponies are mares. Oh yes! Storm chaser is still recovering from Star Swirl's magickal display he put on for us in court. Not in a bad way just she can't stop talking about it. I wonder if its possible the magick user would be willing to teach us? I mean how hard can it be?


Day thirty one, month of summer, year 1578

I've bitten off more then I can swallow. Star Swirl had mentioned learning magicks was no easy feat. I laughed at him claiming nothing was too hard for the King of Gryfthonia. I regret the boasting even as my maids tend to some badly bruised wings. Storm chaser won't stop snickering. In fact, I swear I can hear that old hen clucking in delight from the room over. Mmm, better she not read this, otherwise its the couch again. The pony did say that there could very well be magick users in our kingdom. How though? How does one know? I mean we can't just go from roost to roost, asking parents if their chicks are acting strange in any way, could we?

Day twelve, month of waning summer, year 1578

We opened our first mage school here in Gryfthonia. Accompanied by Star Swirl and two small mares, one a pure snow white, the other a dark night blue both adorned in cloaks, I announced to my people that the first mage school for the magickally gifted has been opened. It took some time and some erm, searching to find these gifted chicks among my kingdom but it was well worth it. Being a griffon its not so hard. Being a griffon who is magickally gifted, its... well different. The school shall give parents a sigh of relief and for their offspring a chance to not feel alienated towards their own kind. Storm chaser is proud of me. She whispers in my ear, hoping one of our own chicks would be gifted. I find it would be a blessing and a curse. Star Swirl had told me that not all turn out to be like him. Others have abused it for their own gain and misfortune tends to follow those who misuse such things. I am somewhat grateful none of my children are gifted. What would they be with no guidance such as Star Swirl to tutor them?

Sapphire groaned and threw the book down in disgust,"Nothing but ceaseless blathering of an old coot of a king! Why is nothing ever simple these days?"

A soft chuckle drew her eyes on Demuria's soul,"Think that's funny do you?"

"Fitting a descendant of Chrome Fireblood meet a dead end. Good riddance. You'll burn as your ancestor did. I may not be able to carry out the punishment, but Princess Celestia can take the reins."

"Bah!" Sapphire sneered as she struck the lantern, knocking it to fall on its side,"Do NOT lecture me, weakling! Far too long have you allowed these pathetic mammals to rule over us! As Chrome swore revenge against you AND them, I shall be the one to see her vision come true! You think you're wise? You think yourself powerful along with these alicorns?"

Sapphire spat,"It all my years searching I have uncovered something grand, something ancient. Something that deserves to know what happened to its kin. Soon you'll wish you would have slain Chrome instead of exiling her."

Demuria said nothing. In all her time living there was nothing out there that her kin and the ponies didn't know that was dangerous that they could not overcome. Discord maybe, but he was more a prankster then a genuine troublemaker. There was one named Tirek, but he was imprisoned in Tartarus. What could Sapphire have uncovered to make such a claim? The answers lie in Star Swirl's journal as well as the journal of past rulers.

The soul could only "watch" as the dragoness stooped to pick up King Steel Talon's journal and drop it on the table before her. As she did, the dragoness's eyes caught something among the pages. Gathering up the book, she skimmed a few before stopping on a few entries that felt heavy. The way the ink was bled into the paper as though the King was writing harder then usual.

Day thirteen, month of the frost, year 1581

The excavation team that was sent to help our pony allies building a tunnel have gone missing. News of their disappearance along with the ransacked camp of the ponies have led me to believe they were ambushed. Ambushed over a relic that should never have been spoken of in the first place. The excavation was merely a cover, a ploy while the real task was to transport the relic to a hidden location far away from curious eyes. What started as a tunnel creation was quickly changed into what was supposed to be a historic moment. For years we griffons and ponies thought our founding leaders and the foundations of our colonies to be the oldest on our world. Turns out we were sorely mistaken. Still with the exception of the dragons in their territories, its hard to tell where our lineage begins and end. However I am getting off topic. Back to the relic on talon. Our mages and Star Swirl assured me that it would be hush hush. Instead now I had to go to the homes of my fellow griffon workers, go to their families and inform them their fathers, mates, uncles and brothers will not be coming home. The results were as I predicted: Sadness and anger over the potential loss. My Storm chaser consoles me, telling me I've did everything I could to keep this... thing from being found. Somehow I don't find it very comforting.

Day twenty six, month of the harsh frost, year 1583

It has been found. Two long years of scouring the lands across the world and finally it has been found. After a bloody battle with a cult no one even heard of was dealt with the relic is in the hooves of Star Swirl. I wanted the cursed object destroyed. Yet two weeks of using the strongest magick with our most powerful mages have yielded no results. Star Swirl has decreed instead the artifact must be locked away and hidden. Those who assist must have their memories erased for fear of the relic's discovery by shadowy leagues. I will leave it up to the stallion to see the task first talon. To think that such a thing existed even before our time both astonishes... and frightens me. Still can we trust him? The cult consisted of both griffon and pony alike. Whose to say there are those within the unicorn's colonies that are plotting to retrieve the artifact from under his nose? Regrettably I can not bring myself to fully agree with his decision. Therefore it is in my best interest that those who have been sent along with Star Swirl write down the exact location of its whereabouts in secrecy.

Sapphire let a smile creep along her muzzle. At last some small crumb to snatch up granted by a doubtful king. She flipped the book in hopes Steel Talon had written down who was involved. Perhaps their living kin of today would still be around. Her luck though was too good to be true as she abruptly stopped. Four pages were missing torn from the journal. She grumbled and dropped the book in dismay shaking her head,"I knew it. Star Swirl must have known. How else would I reach another barrier in my search." She paused and tapped her chin.

"However, given the state of this book perhaps the librarian would know who last possessed this journal. I've come too far to let a few missing pages stop me."

Gathering the papers, journal and Star Swirl's cookbook, the dragoness stuffed them in a satchel. She pulled her robes to conceal her face before making her way to the entrance that would lead her into Gryf,"Try not to be too bored while I'm away, Demuria." She laughed softly before fading into the emptiness of the tunnel.

The orb rattled its prison again in vain, the soul of the former dragon queen helpless to break free let alone stop a dragoness from wrecking havoc on the world once more.

Author's Note:

I am aware that I mispelled magic while writing the journal entries. That was intentional. Reading many a fantasy fiction book here and there, authors tend to spell magic in different ways. like majic, magik or magicks for the olden times of the setting. Given the vast history, I felt to give the entries that old feel as well.