• Published 16th Jun 2014
  • 1,003 Views, 25 Comments

Flight - AG Phenxore



Can one be loyal without reason? How did Fluttershy earn the loyalty of Rainbow Dash? And how did she become such good friends with her?

  • ...
3
 25
 1,003

Stolen Life

A bunny drifts across magenta, longing, eyes as their owner shakily lets out a puff of frosty breath. The unmoving clouds and beautiful ocean sky pleading to be swum in. Every blink longer than the last, and further in between. Soft drops of white stars peacefully floating down, landing on her muzzle, melting on touch. Staring at the sky has become nearly unbearable, just remembering send splinters of pain through her. The air constantly grasped at Rainbow Dash’s wings, begging her to set them free; to be free to fly. The cold penetrating her clothes and coat as she lets it slowly suck the life out of her. All that could be sifted from her thoughts were the events leading to this lonely, frozen, moment:

~~~~~~~

Shielding their eyes, the bright sunset beat down on the two friends in the pristine September evening.

“Ah! I’m so glad we’re out from school for the next few days, G! So what we gonna do with our free time now?”

“Oh, I have a few idea’s…” Gilda smirks, glancing at the, still in school uniform, ignorantly happy Rainbow Dash.

“Wow, that sounds like fun. Any chance that we can do stuff while playing things too...?” Her large eyes doing a full circle as the sarcasm of her words try to convince the mysterious gryphon to say more. They continue in silence their trek, Gilda leading the way.

Fall was a wonderful time of year: The trees shared their rainbows with the world of equines to see, the temperature dropping in such perfection that cannot be mimicked. You could see the world of little beasts and critters emerge in a panic, hoping to collect enough food for the coming winter. Better still, the motivation to live, to be free and be alive, was, to the opinion of many, to be higher in fall than other times.

For the first time in her life, this was not lost on Rainbow Dash. Her injury had slowed her down ten fold. At first, it was terrible, all the habits of years of going nonstop dragging her down, but now she was used almost to a flightless life. Acclimation to not flying seems impossible to most pegasi. However, many underestimate the power of hope and anticipation, and what it can do to a recovering pony. Though only a very short time had passed since her injury, two weeks to be precise, she was almost used to not flying. Fueled by the knowledge of recovery, she bore the shackles of gravity.



Softly creacking, the door to their home opened quickly, and the two entered. Almost completely hidden now, the sun extinguished its light, leaving equestria in the hands of a twilight sky. Charging in with such little elegance that it could barely be considered walking, Gilda tries to make her way to a light source in the dark. After a brief moment of white from the entering of light, the gryphon made her way to the nearest adequate sleeping arrangement. But Dash looks on with bated breath as she observes the state of her home.

Papers strewn across the entire floor, drawers turned over, their contents dumped on the floor, decor thrown carelessly about. Shards of glass from broken pictures and windows crunched under Rainbow Dash. Picking up a piece of a trophy, its shiny coat cracked, broken beyond recovery, she tries to put the pieces together. Slowly glazing over the damage, Rainbow Dash tries to keep a sad sob from leaving. Streaks of tears interrupted as a cyan hoof quickly swipes at them, damming it for a moment.

“Gil-Gilda?” Calling to the sleeping roommate, wiping tears from her eyes, distraught Dash tries to find some comfort in this moment. Walking over to her friend, she tries to wake her:

“G… Please wake up.” Gently shaking the feathered beast, she desperately hopes she doesn’t end up alone right now. Nearly silent, teary sadness escaped her throat as Rainbow Dash sat on the mess of two years of her life dumped in a heap on the floor.

In the quiet of the shock, a light clinking can be heard further inside the house. Sad ears perk up, alert to the new sound. Trying to be stealthy, walking past the piles of broken glass the still emotional pegasus stumbles in a nearly straight path towards a dark hallway. The little light that Gilda hard turned on didn’t reach this far, and Rainbow Dash slid into the darkness as she breathlessly, carefully, pursued the foreign sound.

Stopping a little before an open doorway, she scrunched her face too catch a sliver of movement. In a flurry of chaos, Rainbow Dash screams.

“Eeeekaaah!” Almost jumping out of her skin as a blasting hip-hop jazz track turns on inside the room.

“Turn it off! Turn it o--”

“Shhhh, someone may be home-”

“WHAT! I CAN’T HEAR YOU OVER THE-”

“Quiet! I think I heard- Turn that blasted music off!”

“I Can’t hear you! I can’t find how to turn it off! It’s too loud! How can anypony enjoy music at this level!”

“Just turn it off! MAKE IT STOP!” With a clicking sound, the insanity drops off.

“Oh thank Celestia you found the switch!” Said the second

“I didn’t turn it off.” Suddenly, a light chased all the darkness away.

Standing inside the room, a rainbow maned pony stood, or rather shook with rage. Her hoof just reaching the ground from increasing the lantern light. Glaring from intruder, to intruder, she held her pose, ready to pounce on them the second either moved.

“Erm, I think someone is home…”

“Really? You sure? I thought the blue pegasus looking to murder us was on our team.”

“Oh phew… I’m glad. That would have been bad. Wait a second… We don’t have a blue pegasus! You’re a spy!” The first tackles the second in a vengance, screaming to Rainbow Dash;

“Run! I have him pinned, I’ll get rid of the body like the chief taught me!”

Despite her predicament, the injured pony breaks down in a furious laughter so powerful it has been unknown to this day. Rolling on the floor, gasping for air as the thieves do the same. There could hardly have been a more perfect ending to her sorrow then a duo of thieves turning on each other.

Author's Note:

Somewhat fast paced, but that seems to be how I do the words on paper. I'm only a little bit rusty, so don't try to scrape it off to hard... Enjoy!