• Published 16th Jun 2014
  • 1,004 Views, 25 Comments

Flight - AG Phenxore



Can one be loyal without reason? How did Fluttershy earn the loyalty of Rainbow Dash? And how did she become such good friends with her?

  • ...
3
 25
 1,004

Out of the Blue

Sliding two trays as she slowly traversed the wall of hungry beasts, Gilda made her way to the poorly cooked, over salted, meals. The ominous sound of delivered food on trays becoming closer.

"Next!" Another slosh of oddly colored mush. The strange aroma causing most a double take, wondering if the food is actually, “food”. At times, you can see little chunks in it. Some say that it's raisins, others a say it's a nut. I stick to my theory of much sneezing into the regurgitated looking food.

"Oof! Watch where you're going!" Gilda screeches at a first year pegasus who collided with her, nearly spilling her hard earned prize. Though it was her fault for being absent at that moment, she wouldn’t let anyone know that she drifts easily.

She makes her careful way to a quieter corner of the eat grounds, where her zoned out cyan blue friend sat, sipping a juice box. This was the cafeteria. Only the cheapest of materials could be even considered for furnishing: the benches starting to grey and fade from dirt collecting in the scratches. The tables were in a similar condition, with the exception of various colors staining the once white tables.

Skidding her tray over to her, Rainbow Dash resumes her real life with a very, very, appealing looking meal now in front of her.

"Uh, G. I kinda brought my own lunch today." Dash laughs. Commencing to eat her, until now unseen, sandwich. Gilda growls.

"Don't expect me to bring you lunch again." Sitting down to trudge through the mountain of bad tasting, and looking, food.

"Aw dont be that way, I brought you one too. You don’t always have too- wait, do you hear that?" Rainbow's eyes light up, her ears spring to attention as they become assaulted by a foreign, yet familiar sound.

"You say brought me one too? Where is it?" Pushing aside her tray, Gilda start to reach for Dashes brown bag, which becomes more difficult as Rainbow, without though, swipes away gilda’s greedy paw. Finally grabbing, after much recon and planning, the lunch bag, she shakes it over her face, hoping some real food appears. It does, landing on her face.

"Do you hear it G?"

"What?" Her mouth filled with the slightly better made food.

"That song! The one I can't get out of my head!"

"Hm? Wait, huh?" Gilda swallows suddenly, wanting to hear the infamous singsong curse. Straining her ears, trying to pick out the soft hummed tune that keeps haunting her friend. Her pupils dilate as she realizes who is singing. Though a soft voice, it is a very unique, very pretty voice belonging to none other than the pony fearing Fluttershy.

She couldn't have... Oh this wasn't good. If Dash ever found out...

"There's nothing there silly bird." Jokes Gilda, nervously taking a bite of her steadily less appealing sandwich, her appetite nearly completely gone.

But her lie became truth as the singing disappeared.

"It's driving me nuts G. I hear it for a second, then it's gone. I'm gonna go crazy soon!"

"Hah! I doubt it. I'm sure it's just something your... Your brain made up by its... Self?" Gilda nervously stutters. Begging Celestia that her friend doesn't connect the trail of blinding neon dots together.

"Sure, sure it is." Audibly rolling her eyes as the bell rings, signaling the end of lunch time.

~~~~~~~

Singing as softly, and as beautifully, as the birds, Fluttershy takes her perch at the back end of the school. The wafting of fresh greenery is by far one of the better aromas Equestria has the offer, and it never goes unnoticed by the filly now nibbling on her meager lunch. Overlooking the lush, rolling, hills beneath her second home in the sky, Fluttershy envelops herself in the lovely aura of the area.

Delving into her never heard by anypony hobby, she lets the music flow. It is strange, when one enjoys music, the energy seeps into the listener, causing the strangest reactions in ponies. It is also true when in creation of such art, giving composers the freedom of essentially creating anything they want. When not under compulsion, nearly everything you could possibly do becomes that much more enjoyable. Music is a conduit for that. Not many ponies realize this, but when under the influence of music, their mind is much clearer than normal, giving them less argument for not doing items that they would otherwise not do. In essence, helping them do things without compulsion.

It was this freedom Fluttershy feels when singing and listening to music. Giving the much needed relief from the world she so feared. Or more the ponies that inhabit it. Escaping into the wonders of harmonic sound its melodies called music, hoping that it would wisk her away to this perfect world that she imagines. But the real world always seems to peal away the layers of pure creative thought and wishes, leaving only the evils and darkness, doesn't it? Giving the those who wish of a lovely world of happiness and love, just the harshness of the evil that occupies ponykind.

Sighing as a somewhat similar thought train rides through her mind, she stops her forced singing. Talking to herself quietly. Now the only pony she knows, though just barely.